Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I did a space monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Giant Isopod posted:

Long effort post with regard to people losing games that will probably open me up to a shower of criticism:

Let me chime in as someone who quite after playing exactly one game of 6th edition. Actually about half a game, since that's how long it took for me to get tabled.

Yeah, the guy was an rear end in a top hat, but there's a larger problem: Addressing the problem of people who've lost before the game has even started. 40k is the Traveller of wargames in that it is possible to basically lose during list building, which is going to be a shock to a number of people coming from other games.

40k is and always has been horribly unbalanced and has a very high monetary commitment. That's a nasty combo and some people don't understand how brutal it can be, because unlike WoW or something where you sink X hours into a class that gets nerfed in the same patch, in this case you've not only sunk time, but money, and maybe emotional investment in your little dudes. And also the next patch might not include rules for your faction because gently caress you.

That's all lovely, but whatever, it's fine if you are still part of a community, still playing for fun, enjoying the modelling and painting of your poor, forgotten--but-still-has-a-cool-model unit, and still have games where people can work around the limitations. This has already been covered by other people above talking about playing more casual games.

But let me tell you the thing that turned me off, which was not actually having a lovely first game:

The community's inability to handle criticism of the game. The game is not fine because space marines are fine. We know there will be no change to the game because the core audience does not get upset when non-spare-marine parts of the game take a poo poo. And so that part thrives because the other parts quit. Don't get me started on 40k podcasts, it's like you can hear them slurping on [insert favored chapter here]'s dick.

Anyway, in short, space marines are the worst part of 40k, and I have an obvious bias. What's my actual point:

If someone is losing, at an expensive, unbalanced game, that they joined because they liked the aesthetic of a particular army, the worst possible thing to do is to tell them to just play a different army. That's not only insulting to the time and money they've put in, it directly plays against one of the games strengths: it's aesthetics and tone in the diversity of the different factions and their ability to bring different people to the game.

p.s. marines suck and ultras suck the hardest

edit: since that got a little rambley, I guess I could summarize as "It's possible to make very bad choices in this game, sometimes intentional bad choices to make other parts of the game fun. Try not to be condescending towards other people's choices, especially when giving feedback, or stomping said poor choices into the ground with your dumb primarch."

Wow careful you don't burn anyone with that searing hot take of" ultramarines suck".

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Artum posted:

Wow careful you don't burn anyone with that searing hot take of" ultramarines suck".

I know, I'm sorry, I regret that. I completely forgot about grey knights when I was writing that or I would have used them.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Giant Isopod posted:

p.s. marines suck and ultras suck the hardest

Wrong.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Giant Isopod posted:

I know, I'm sorry, I regret that. I completely forgot about grey knights when I was writing that or I would have used them.

Please, tell us your feelings about Matt Ward!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
That take is so mild you'd even get laughed out of a Taco Bell for it, but I agree that Primarchs as Lord of War units have shifted the scale in a direction that most other factions can't exactly hit. At 360 points Bobby can comfortable slot into 1000-point lists in ways that a Knight or Magnus can't, while also centralizing the game in ways that aren't healthy at that point range. As fun as it can be to speculate about how each Primarch would operate, they make the game Herohammer in a way most other factions can't participate in comfortably, if only because those factions don't have 9 super units each waiting in the wings.

Heck, assuming other primarchs hover around Bobby's cost, you could have him, Dorn, and Vulkan basically 3v3ing another army, and that just seems innately weird.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

'Marines are the best and get all the best stuff' cry out a chorus of bads, failing to notice that Marines have not been the best army in literally any edition.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
None of my poo poo got wrecked in the hurricane, my garbage marines are safe. It went a lot further west than predicted so we only got 55 to 60 mph winds and light flooding. Most of the county is without power with no dates on it being restored yet. Some businesses have power though, was able to charge my poo poo at kroger, and today I've seen more of the traffic lights come back on.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Corrode posted:

'Marines are the best and get all the best stuff' cry out a chorus of bads, failing to notice that Marines have not been the best army in literally any edition.

I did not mean to imply that marines good, or overpowered, or anything of the sort. I have no idea what is good. I was just leveraging the well-known fact that marines get a large amount of focus in the game development to point out how annoying it is to be told "Hey, buy a different faction, this one's hot" in response to losing a game, since the subject in question was how to deal with people losing.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Not too impressed with Graia's tactics, it's a pseudo 6+++ that only occurs on death or fleeing. Good for infantry and okay on vehicles for the potential to completely ignore multi damage wounds that would kill it, but you still only have a 1/6 chance of making it in a specific situation. I'd rather have a real 6+++ but that might be too OP considering it would be army wide. Strategem for electro priests to fight twice sounds good until you realize it's 3 CP and only for electro priests. CSMs do that for the same price and it applies to any of their units.

Graia definitely seems to be favoring the infantry heavy Ad Mech army but I don't think it beats out Mars and Cawl. Hopefully the other forge worlds have stronger abilities to at least compete with them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Giant Isopod posted:

If someone is losing, at an expensive, unbalanced game, that they joined because they liked the aesthetic of a particular army, the worst possible thing to do is to tell them to just play a different army. That's not only insulting to the time and money they've put in, it directly plays against one of the games strengths: it's aesthetics and tone in the diversity of the different factions and their ability to bring different people to the game.

This part of your post was good, and you probably should have started and finished it there.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I agree with Giant Isopod on all counts and this thread is generally informative and fun but is a massive circlejerk at times

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
How do you feel about telling people to buy different things (for the army they already play). At my store there are a bunch of people who don't have anything that can kill tanks. I like tanks, and tend to bring at least 1 tank/Dread. There are games where that tank runs over their army because they can't do anything to it. I don't like telling people what to buy, but is it unreasonable to cut out a chunk of my army just for them to have a chance at winning?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Giant Isopod posted:

I did not mean to imply that marines good, or overpowered, or anything of the sort. I have no idea what is good. I was just leveraging the well-known fact that marines get a large amount of focus in the game development to point out how annoying it is to be told "Hey, buy a different faction, this one's hot" in response to losing a game, since the subject in question was how to deal with people losing.

I think that's fair enough and there's definitely been times in the game when some armies have been trap choices from the ground up - Tyranids for about the last decade, Orks quite a lot of the time, Necrons were hilariously bad until their 5th ed book, and so on. I don't think it's because of Marines specifically though so much as GW being terrible at coherent game development - Matt Ward used to get complained about a lot, but the books he wrote were actually really good if you only played them against each other because he had clear ideas about what he was doing, what playstyle/s he thought the book should encourage, etc. The problem was putting that up against books written by guys who were less clear about what they were doing who made strange choices, or older books which obviously weren't written to accommodate changes in the base game.

One of the things I like most about 8th is that right now it seems like the majority of armies are at least viable - some of them still have crap internal balance (Orks, Tau) but we're getting closer towards everything being at least usable if not perfect.

Booley posted:

How do you feel about telling people to buy different things (for the army they already play). At my store there are a bunch of people who don't have anything that can kill tanks. I like tanks, and tend to bring at least 1 tank/Dread. There are games where that tank runs over their army because they can't do anything to it. I don't like telling people what to buy, but is it unreasonable to cut out a chunk of my army just for them to have a chance at winning?

Question of degree. There's two extremes which are like "You refuse to acknowledge half the game then complain when you lose, reconsider your choices" and "Your army is only functional with x, y and z, anything else is a trap." I have no sympathy for the former and a lot for the latter, because even in top-tier books the internal balance can be awful and it sucks if deviating even slightly from the One True List is an exercise in frustration.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 12, 2017

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Booley posted:

It's a consumerist game - that's going to come up, and I think it's fine.

I think there's a strong difference between recommending something additive in what is a game focused around collecting, and telling people to start over, effectively planting the seeds that what they've already done is worthless.

It's not just about money, but time and investment - saying "hey, you consider a tank? that'd really have hosed up my dudes" which offers the allure of painting a tank and integrating it with your army is encouraging, in a way, even if it's something you can't do right now.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can someone give me a quick rundown on the Knight models, why one kit is more expensive, and why I shouldn't get the Errant just because I like one of the faceplates better.

It would be a superheavy auxiliary detachment for Space Marines or Tempestus. Not building an all Knight list.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

You know what? Let's have a little survey here.

Respond to this post with all armies that you officially play with, meaning you can field one in a legal match under current rules.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

mango sentinel posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the Knight models, why one kit is more expensive, and why I shouldn't get the Errant just because I like one of the faceplates better.

It would be a superheavy auxiliary detachment for Space Marines or Tempestus. Not building an all Knight list.

The warden kit is literally just the old kit with more sprues since Knights turned out to be super popular. Warden has carapace weapons and more faceplates etc that's why they charge more.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Artum posted:

The warden kit is literally just the old kit with more sprues since Knights turned out to be super popular. Warden has carapace weapons and more faceplates etc that's why they charge more.

Oh, so I can just pay $17 for that back mounted rocket launcher?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Booley posted:

Being like "Hey, X unit is really good, have you tried it?" or "Y unit could kill my thing really effectively" is fine. Recommending an army have more anti tank, more close combat, or something additional to what they already have is totally cool. Telling someone their army is bad and they should play a different one isn't.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

goose willis posted:

I agree with Giant Isopod on all counts and this thread is generally informative and fun but is a massive circlejerk at times

People agreeing on mass that you are wrong does not mean that there is a circlejerk going on. It just means that you are wrong.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

Respond to this post with all armies that you officially play with, meaning you can field one in a legal match under current rules.

Space Marines
Blood Angels
Dark Eldar
Imperial Guard
Ad Mech (current project)

I could get mishmash Chaos on the table but it's not an army I would ever actually play so I'm not including it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Not too impressed with Graia's tactics, it's a pseudo 6+++ that only occurs on death or fleeing. Good for infantry and okay on vehicles for the potential to completely ignore multi damage wounds that would kill it, but you still only have a 1/6 chance of making it in a specific situation. I'd rather have a real 6+++ but that might be too OP considering it would be army wide. Strategem for electro priests to fight twice sounds good until you realize it's 3 CP and only for electro priests. CSMs do that for the same price and it applies to any of their units.

Graia definitely seems to be favoring the infantry heavy Ad Mech army but I don't think it beats out Mars and Cawl. Hopefully the other forge worlds have stronger abilities to at least compete with them.

The CSM "fight again" strategem only applies to Khorne units, and only Infantry/Bikers within that group

The interesting thing about the Graia tactic is that it helps keep units who would be fleeing, which is the first time I think we've seen something like that in this edition.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

goose willis posted:

I might as well reply to myself:

Renegades & Heretics
Alpha Legion
Death Guard
Iron Hands
Dark Angels

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Just Blood Angels here. I also have a single Knight Paladin and a Vindicare assassin.

goose willis posted:

I might as well reply to myself:

Renegades & Heretics
Alpha Legion
Death Guard
Iron Hands
Dark Angels

drat. I read that as Iron Warriors at first and was going to make a joke about you not playing any loyalists.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

goose willis posted:

Every flavor of imperium space marine (vanilla, BA, DA, SW)
Guard/Scions
AdMech
Imperium soup (two units sisters of silence in rhinos, celestine, four assassins, a bunch of inquisitors)
Tau
Demons (with some CSM sorcerers/malefic lords, Maggi)
Genestealers (would be garbage though, no actual purestrains)
Some eldar, but them not being able to ally with Tau means I don't have the models for a 2k army.

Crons, bugs, and orks are boring

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

goose willis posted:

Space Marines
Chaos Space Marines
Chaos Daemons
Necrons
Tyranid
Genestealer Cult
Skitarii/Cult Mechanicus
Death Guard

Edit: Technically Dark Angels as well, which is mostly just 50+ Terminators in a bag and some DV MEq.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 12, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

First time I've had the time and money to maintain the hobby and I've just got my primaris ultras.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

My Dark Angels and Iron Hands are just the loyalists from the Dark Vengeance and Dark Imperium boxes, the Renegades are my current project and I've been making conversions out of various Mantic/Warzone/Tehnolog figures

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Every flavor of imperium space marine (vanilla, BA, DA, SW)
Guard/Scions
AdMech
Imperium soup (two units sisters of silence in rhinos, celestine, four assassins, a bunch of inquisitors)
Tau
Demons (with some CSM sorcerers/malefic lords, Maggi)
Genestealers (would be garbage though, no actual purestrains)
Some eldar, but them not being able to ally with Tau means I don't have the models for a 2k army.

Crons, bugs, and orks are boring

You are the goddamn worst

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

goose willis posted:

Only Ad Mech at the moment, considering Alpha Legion or Tyranids as a second army though.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The CSM "fight again" strategem only applies to Khorne units, and only Infantry/Bikers within that group

The interesting thing about the Graia tactic is that it helps keep units who would be fleeing, which is the first time I think we've seen something like that in this edition.

True, but for CSM it's way more than just two units as you can give almost any CSM infantry and bikers the mark of Khorne. I'd like it more if it applied to Infiltrators and Ruststalkers as well, but it's still quite pricey.

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 12, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Giant Isopod posted:

And also the next patch might not include rules for your faction because gently caress you.

When was the last time this actually happened?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

When was the last time this actually happened?

No armies have been outright squatted since Squats, but there's plenty of examples where a faction didn't get a book all the way through an edition - Dark Eldar/Necrons in 4th, Eldar/Orks/Black Templars/Chaos in 5th, Chaos Daemons in 7th, and so on.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

You are the goddamn worst

Army hopping meta chasing whore

I hate myself as much as you do

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

goose willis posted:

Right now, only Space Marines. When last I played in 5th, I also played Chaos Marines and Orks, but I sold those off in the intervening years.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

Night Lords
Black Legion
World Eaters
Thousand Sons
Iron Warriors
White Panthers (basic bitch space marines)
Deathwatch
Chaos Daemons

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Blood Angels
Tau
Maybe dark angels, but they're mostly unpainted so don't count.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Post 'em if you got 'em.

Adeptus Mechanicus

Space Marines - Howling Griffons, pure Primaris

Space Marines - Deathwatch (Next in line)
[no photos, still on sprue]

Imperium - A mix of a Knight, Adeptus Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Inquisitors, Adeptus Ministorum and Officio Assassinorum. (Current project, all WIP shots)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Giant Isopod posted:

The community's inability to handle criticism of the game. The game is not fine because space marines are fine. We know there will be no change to the game because the core audience does not get upset when non-spare-marine parts of the game take a poo poo. And so that part thrives because the other parts quit. Don't get me started on 40k podcasts, it's like you can hear them slurping on [insert favored chapter here]'s dick.

I don't know, my anecdote against yours, I've never known the WH40K community to have any problem with criticizing the game. We're a little overeager sometimes, if anything.

Do you maybe mean inability to handle criticism of rules and mechanics that benefit our individual play experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

What are those purple banners from? I like 'em and could use some more decorative bits