Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

Anyone else noticing Saffron Olive flailing at the notion of MTGO going away? Does he have a bigger stake in the mtgo singles market than I realized?

if he runs a bot then yes

edit: also you people who think any kind of eternal format will be playable on arena have lost your drat minds. i think that the best possible case scenario is that they'll let you buy modern or eternal masters packs for outrageous sums of real life cash, there's no way you're going to get fetchlands or underground seas for free even if card crafting does end up in the game

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I notice that for a TCGPlayer listing of a card, if I click on a link that takes me there from MTGGoldfish, there's a referal in the URL. I wonder if they get a kickback from them or Cardhoarder if someone makes a purchase.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I can't imagine how anyone is going to assemble a constructed deck in a no-trades environment if the pricing is not crazy low. Even $1 a pack free drafts standard will cost several hundred dollars to aquire a deck, unless they allow something like crafting from Hearthstone. I'd imagine it would to redeem X cards for a set price, like a common is a WOTC buck, a rare is 10 WOTC bucks, a mythic 50 WOTC bucks, then you can buy singles direct from them for whatever.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jassi007 posted:

I can't imagine how anyone is going to assemble a constructed deck in a no-trades environment if the pricing is not crazy low. Even $1 a pack free drafts standard will cost several hundred dollars to aquire a deck, unless they allow something like crafting from Hearthstone. I'd imagine it would to redeem X cards for a set price, like a common is a WOTC buck, a rare is 10 WOTC bucks, a mythic 50 WOTC bucks, then you can buy singles direct from them for whatever.

if packs were a quarter how much money on average would it cost to open a playset of every card per set. some math person figure this out please

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Rinkles posted:

When's the panic crash coming?

Dunno; but I moved all my legacy MTGO decks immediately after Area was unveiled. gently caress that risk.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
The MTG Goldfish podcast is probably my favorite.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It's probably not correct to assume that packs in arena are going to be direct analogues to real life packs. You could easily end up with HS-like five-to-eight card packs that occasionally include more than one rare, for instance.

With trading out of the picture, they're free to establish their own economy in whatever way they please. I maintain that removing trading was the best possible decision for this

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

jassi007 posted:

Hearthstone, Eternal and many other no-trade CCGs have a destroy/craft system where you can trash cards you don't want into a currency that you use to "buy" new cards, where the value and cost of the cards is based on their rarity.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's Richard Garfield's birthday! We noticed you haven't played your favorite app in quite some time. Why not try it again with this FREE GIFT of 10 magic stones to celebrate the creator's birthday? Log in now and you can also receive two free packs every day for the weeklong celebration! Buy the birthday crate for $89.99 and you'll also receive a voucher for one free booster box of your choice* from your local MTG retailer!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for what its worth for as much as hearthstone is "f2p" you're still way better off spending money on it to actually assemble the decks you want to play

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

rabidsquid posted:

free cards, definitely not a problem in ccgs since forever

Well yea, they knew exactly what they were doing when they printed Patches. For those of you who don't play Hearthstone, it's a 1/1 with haste that gets tutored out into the battlefield as soon as you play your first pirate (any pirate). Strong contender for the strongest Legendary in the entire set, and we're talking about a 1/1. I just meant to say that while pirates as a tribe are a big reason for Pirate Warrior's success, the deck just straight up doesn't exist without Patches. He is that good.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The blue card is a bit meh but the rest of these look absolutely sick, especially for limited. Can't wait.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
All arena has to do is cost the same as hearthstone and they will crush because the actual base game is a million times better

Saffron olive keeps claiming that competitive standard hearthstone costs ~$800 a year. I dunno if that's true or not but it seems like a pretty easy bar to clear

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

sit on my Facebook posted:

All arena has to do is cost the same as hearthstone and they will crush because the actual base game is a million times better

Saffron olive keeps claiming that competitive standard hearthstone costs ~$800 a year. I dunno if that's true or not but it seems like a pretty easy bar to clear

That seems very very high. It's probably assuming that you don't do daily quests or arena, and you need every card in the set in order to complete.

I have not put any money into hearthstone, and I've always had tons of gold and dust to make whatever deck I want.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rabidsquid posted:

for what its worth for as much as hearthstone is "f2p" you're still way better off spending money on it to actually assemble the decks you want to play

Eternal just had a patch that gives you an XP bar for each of the five factions (colours) that goes up as you play decks of those faction. The rewards are retroactive so when I logged in yesterday I got 22 free boosters, a bunch of gold, some random premium cards and enough crafting currency to make more than two more cards of the highest rarity.

Pretty much it just drowns you in free stuff so in short, play Eternal. Also three packs for using a REFERRAL CODE .

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dr. Stab posted:

That seems very very high. It's probably assuming that you don't do daily quests or arena, and you need every card in the set in order to complete.

I have not put any money into hearthstone, and I've always had tons of gold and dust to make whatever deck I want.

it doesnt sound that high, i was flush with cash when whispers of the old gods came out and preordered i think, forty packs for $50? and with that purchase i had enough cards to make exactly zero decks and enough dust because of my preexisting collection to make one meta deck. hearthstone is basically impossible to catch up unless you've been playing from day zero so while maybe you haven't had to spend any cash to whatever i sincerely doubt that would be true if you started a fresh account today.

with already owning a lot of core set staples (which by the way they've removed some of these from standard, so you can't even count on that as a thing forever) i think you could probably get by with spending $100 per expansion if you're lucky and don't want to have everything available to you.

and again a thing people keep neglecting to bring up with these hearthstone comparisons is that decks are 30 cards and that their equivalent of mythics you are limited to one copy at all ever.

Lone Goat posted:

Eternal just had a patch that gives you an XP bar for each of the five factions (colours) that goes up as you play decks of those faction. The rewards are retroactive so when I logged in yesterday I got 22 free boosters, a bunch of gold, some random premium cards and enough crafting currency to make more than two more cards of the highest rarity.

Pretty much it just drowns you in free stuff so in short, play Eternal. Also three packs for using a REFERRAL CODE .

i haven't been able to play really anything lately because of my terrible health but i've been into the idea of checking out eternal, i will use your preview code when i do if you remind me which i think you're one of my twitter mutuals so!!!!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Wow I just got 18 packs for doing nothing besides having played a bunch earlier this year. Choice.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
There's a bunch of hearthstone quests on top of dailies that get you stuff. Like winning 1/10/100 games or whatever each gets you a pack. Playing a game on an android phone gets you a pack, and an android tablet, and one each for the apple versions, and one specifically for the galaxy s5, and you get a free arena run, and each week they do a free gimmick mode where your first win gets you a pack...

I've spent maybe 200 over the past couple years and have always had at least one t1 deck when I am actively playing, often 2 or 3.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Maybe arena will actually make people want to do in-store prerelease achievements if they link it to an online reward.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

Maybe arena will actually make people want to do in-store prerelease achievements if they link it to an online reward.

I am hoping WOTC does the smart thing with giving major perks to also playing the paper version of magic for arena. It would be a fantastic way to get engagement for one of their biggest customers, the stores.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
the f2p crafting model is going to be a huge dealbreaker for pros/grinders who just want to spend a few weeks testing for a tournament. no way to just instantly buy in or switch decks.

have they mentioned at all what the competitive structure is going to be like? I assume a ladder but are there leagues or queues of any kind?

he's full of poo poo. if you need a full playset of every card in standard ASAP, it might cost you that much, but once you're established as a player it's not hard to get all the cards you need from quests+crafting. I spent 30$ on hearthstone two years ago and can build most of the current decks in standard.

that said the initial buy-in must be crazy high at this point. cracking packs to get the cards you need is just as much of a money pit as it is in mtg. i got in when it wasn't that hard to go infinite in arena, but they've reduced the prizing significantly and the average drafter actually knows how to play now

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Sickening posted:

I am hoping WOTC does the smart thing with giving major perks to also playing the paper version of magic for arena. It would be a fantastic way to get engagement for one of their biggest customers, the stores.

If they went Pokemon TCG model where each booster has a code in it for online redemption, I ... might actually attend paper mtg events outside of drafting at cons.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Shabadu posted:

If they went Pokemon TCG model where each booster has a code in it for online redemption, I ... might actually attend paper mtg events outside of drafting at cons.

This is the painfully obviously best solution and I'm hoping against hope that they go this route. It would be so good for the health of both games

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Um, just play on XMage.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

little munchkin posted:

the f2p crafting model is going to be a huge dealbreaker for pros/grinders who just want to spend a few weeks testing for a tournament. no way to just instantly buy in or switch decks.
You're assuming that they wouldn't have multiple accounts geared towards different decks anyway.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

It's not just false, it's not even within an order of magnitude of true, and it's clear from his responses to people calling on it that he just saw the number in an article somewhere and decided to adopt it as a talking point.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
While I think it'd be amazing for them to link event participation to Arena via Wizard Event Reporter, I foresee two problems.

1.) A lot of stores already pad their event counts and turnouts. Fraud would be a significant issue.

2.) Lol at the idea of them creating a cross platform integration involving WER.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

have they mentioned at all what the competitive structure is going to be like? I assume a ladder but are there leagues or queues of any kind?

he's full of poo poo. if you need a full playset of every card in standard ASAP, it might cost you that much, but once you're established as a player it's not hard to get all the cards you need from quests+crafting. I spent 30$ on hearthstone two years ago and can build most of the current decks in standard.

that said the initial buy-in must be crazy high at this point. cracking packs to get the cards you need is just as much of a money pit as it is in mtg. i got in when it wasn't that hard to go infinite in arena, but they've reduced the prizing significantly and the average drafter actually knows how to play now

Account sharing, just like they do now.

Competitive players are going to be spending money upfront at launch just as they do now. How does this change anything?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shabadu posted:

This would be amazing however unlikely they end up going this route.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Dang, both of these seem really good in limited.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Koirhor posted:

This would be amazing however unlikely they end up going this route.

It would increase the value of paper drafts for sure.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

PJOmega posted:

While I think it'd be amazing for them to link event participation to Arena via Wizard Event Reporter, I foresee two problems.

1.) A lot of stores already pad their event counts and turnouts. Fraud would be a significant issue.

2.) Lol at the idea of them creating a cross platform integration involving WER.
Putting codes inside prerelease kits seems pretty obvious.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Star Man posted:

I notice that for a TCGPlayer listing of a card, if I click on a link that takes me there from MTGGoldfish, there's a referal in the URL. I wonder if they get a kickback from them or Cardhoarder if someone makes a purchase.

Yup. TCGPlayer and Cardhoarder are open about it. MTGOTraders and Card Kingdom are less upfront.

Cardhoarder also loans MTGGoldfish cards for the videos.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Honestly, it would be inconvenient enough to do a 2x-weekly video on the latest weird and wonderful deck if he had to grind for cards, so it doesn't even really require a stake in online singles. And who would want to watch a MTGO video if the Arena videos look so much better.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Then again, we'd have fewer videos by Saffron Olive and he would go from Z-list Magic personality to whatever comes after Z.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Star Man posted:

Then again, we'd have fewer videos by Saffron Olive and he would go from Z-list Magic personality to whatever comes after Z.

As far as magic personalities go I think if we're being fair he's pretty far above Z-list

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
The longtime best-selling card game is finally moving online

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Streamers and pros will just get accounts with full playsets of everything duh. Either that or they will specifically make it a non goal to replicate the true paper metagame the way they have with modo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Yup. TCGPlayer and Cardhoarder are open about it. MTGOTraders and Card Kingdom are less upfront.

Cardhoarder also loans MTGGoldfish cards for the videos.

What a wonderful business relationship. I am sure Seth keeps mtgo traders in the know of whatever his new decklists are going look like before they happen. I am sure that makes seth a nice chunk of change.

Its still laughable to me that MTGO props up entire businesses like MTGOtraders. Middle men like that are why the prices even online are such a joke. Can't wait for them to go out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

What a terribly researched article by a terrible "journalist." There are at least 4 digital versions of magic the gathering: Shandalar, MTGO, Duels of the Planeswalkers, and MTG Duels. Try to get some basic facts right before you bother writing such slop.