Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OhFunny posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/vitaminworld-bankruptcy/vitamin-world-says-to-file-for-bankruptcy-protection-idUSL2N1LI1WL

I don't think it was mentioned, but along with Toys' R Us and Perfumania. Vitamin World will be failing for bankruptcy as early as this month.

I've always been kind of surprised shops like Vitamin World had still stuck around as standalone stores. Most slightly higher-end supermarkets are going to have an aisle full of all the popular vitamins and mineral supplements, and also another seperate aisle with all those "sports enhancer" things these days, the way they wouldn't have done back in like the 80s, and then of course for the obscure stuff the people who buy that are going to be into direct online/phone distribution of the latest bullshit formulas.

I know that Vitamin World also owns a bunch of the big brands of those by now, but surely their revenue from selling their product at other stores is much higher than their own retail store revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

OhFunny posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/vitaminworld-bankruptcy/vitamin-world-says-to-file-for-bankruptcy-protection-idUSL2N1LI1WL

I don't think it was mentioned, but along with Toys' R Us and Perfumania. Vitamin World will be failing for bankruptcy as early as this month.

I just specifically chose to buy my daughter's first lego set from Toys R Us this weekend because I think it would be sad if they disappeared. I get why the toy business is difficult competing against online and, say, Target (which has a great toys/game section) but the joint Toys/Babies R Us thing seems pretty viable to me. People spend tons of money when they get pregnant and often want to see the stuff in person so it gets people going there who logically transition from strollers and bottles to legos and games.

On the other hand it sucked dragging an almost two year old through the toy store.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Grognan posted:

Prospective prison time is worse than death and shooting politicians historically hasn't solved jack poo poo?

Always remember the same people who are heavily pro-2nd Amendment are usually pro outrageously retributive prison systems. They're outright terrified of being put in the hands of the machine which they have crafted to punish the morally inferior, with very good reason.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BrandorKP posted:

One can say just "the MSDS" it is "materials safety data sheets".

Its just SDS now. The UN Global Harmonized System changed all that

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Xaris posted:

I loving hate Safeway though, what a scummy and evil company.

Have any details on this? My choice is between two Safeways and a "Mollie Stones", and I'd need a hell of a lot of scum reasoning to pay the 200-500% markup on poo poo at Mollie's. :v:

VVV Then awesome, I'll keep on shopping there.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 12, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Safeway is the only national grocery chain in the U.S. that has a fully unionized workforce.

Their prices are probably the third best for groceries; behind Wal-Mart and Trader Joe's.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

asdf32 posted:

I just specifically chose to buy my daughter's first lego set from Toys R Us this weekend because I think it would be sad if they disappeared. I get why the toy business is difficult competing against online and, say, Target (which has a great toys/game section) but the joint Toys/Babies R Us thing seems pretty viable to me. People spend tons of money when they get pregnant and often want to see the stuff in person so it gets people going there who logically transition from strollers and bottles to legos and games.

On the other hand it sucked dragging an almost two year old through the toy store.

Is probably why. A hellish trip through a store designed to overstimulate your child vs buying the exact same plastic bricks/mans/ponies off the internet?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Liquid Communism posted:

Always remember the same people who are heavily pro-2nd Amendment are usually pro outrageously retributive prison systems. They're outright terrified of being put in the hands of the machine which they have crafted to punish the morally inferior, with very good reason.

Edit: Thought I was in the picture thread.

Anyhow, brick and mortar retail is lovely and expensive and deserves to either die or face reality and become glorified showrooms. Mom and pop stores aren't any better, either. I was in small business retail management for something like six years, and had to fight tooth and nail against the owner every step of the way to keep him from inflating prices beyond what his market would tolerate. He would also routinely lose customers because he refused to order poo poo people wanted, even regulars requesting certain items in large quantities, in favor of garbage he got on closeout or was hyped up by some fast talking salesman. Then he'd jack the prices up so high that if anyone ever saw the same product elsewhere, they would NEVER come back to our store. I kept that poo poo heap going for years and it all collapsed as soon as I left and his yes-man brother took over operations.

After typing that out I am drawing parallels between that experience and how I, firearm enthusiast, feel about the NRA. What a vicious cycle.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 12, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Xaris posted:

We have four Safeways within a 2 mile radius, granted, 2 of those is because they just bought a small-grocery chain (adronicos) a few years ago but yeah, :rip: They haven't closed any yet but I can't imagine they're keeping all 4 busy, although the one I go to insanely loving busy almost all the time with like only ever 1 manned checkout open and 8 self-checkout machines of which 3/4ths are typically broken and a long line extending to the back of the store just to use a machine.

I loving hate Safeway though, what a scummy and evil company.

Kroger isnt any better :/

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Safeway is the only national grocery chain in the U.S. that has a fully unionized workforce.

Their prices are probably the third best for groceries; behind Wal-Mart and Trader Joe's.

Safeway is really just a western thing and also a lot of chains have unions. The three main chains around here are Stoo and Shop, ShopRite and Big Y and 2 of those are unionized.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its just SDS now. The UN Global Harmonized System changed all that

This is far from universal and MSDSes are still all over the place in the US. GHS has been around for well over a decade, but I was 40hr HAZWOPER certified from 2007-2016, and I don't think I ever heard anything but "MSDS".

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Grognan posted:

Prospective prison time is worse than death and shooting politicians historically hasn't solved jack poo poo?

It made Teddy Roosevelt POTUS

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Amused to Death posted:

Safeway is really just a western thing and also a lot of chains have unions. The three main chains around here are Stoo and Shop, ShopRite and Big Y and 2 of those are unionized.

I remember that Safeway tried to expand into the northeast by buying into the Philadelphia market through purchasing Genaurdi's and also getting a small amount of stores around DC and Baltimore in the early 2000s, but that kind of collapsed.

But then Albertson's bought out Safeway, so the combined company has the Acme stores in NJ/PA/DE/MD, the small remaining bit of Safeways in DC area, and then Shaw's and Star Market in RI/MA/VT/NH/ME. No presence in Connecticut or New York.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm in Baltimore, the Safeway by me has a nice produce department and bakery, and overall a nicer vibe than the Giant closer to my house (the lighting and setup remind me more of a Whole Foods or something). However, they are ridiculously, notoriously understaffed, to the point that people I know who live within walking distance of it drive to other places instead. We're talking two registers open at peak times, lines stretching to the back of the store, etc. The self checkout is just as bad, and always seems to be malfunctioning. It's a shame, because their prices are good and their carrot cake is the poo poo, but I don't want to budget an hour of time to standing in line, so Giant it is

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

LogisticEarth posted:

This is far from universal and MSDSes are still all over the place in the US. GHS has been around for well over a decade, but I was 40hr HAZWOPER certified from 2007-2016, and I don't think I ever heard anything but "MSDS".

It's universal in that HAZWOPER training material refers to them as SDSes now, but it's hard getting people that have called them MSDSes for years or decades to change their lingo.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Crow Jane posted:

I'm in Baltimore, the Safeway by me has a nice produce department and bakery, and overall a nicer vibe than the Giant closer to my house (the lighting and setup remind me more of a Whole Foods or something). However, they are ridiculously, notoriously understaffed, to the point that people I know who live within walking distance of it drive to other places instead. We're talking two registers open at peak times, lines stretching to the back of the store, etc. The self checkout is just as bad, and always seems to be malfunctioning. It's a shame, because their prices are good and their carrot cake is the poo poo, but I don't want to budget an hour of time to standing in line, so Giant it is

This describes literally every Safeway ever, it's kind of amazing. I've moved around the bay area a bit and frequented four Safeways across three counties and every single one is cripplingly understaffed at all times. It doesn't matter if you roll in at midnight, you're gonna wait in line. Self check out can never have more than half the machines actually working, it's a law or something.

I honestly don't know why I still go there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In Canada safeway was actually union and a lot of people shopped there because of it, even though it was sort of lovely with extremely slow service and terrible selection. It was always so weird, I'd go in and there would be like 10 tills open all with only 2-3 people in the line and it would some how take 10 min to get through. Contrast that with the supermarket I usually go to which was about 1/3 the size yet had way more selection and you could stand in a 5 person line and be out in 5 min tops.

Safeway sold to one of Canadas like 2 national supermarket chains which now own pretty much all chain supermarkets and is no longer union, replaced all the staff, but manages to be exactly as bad while paying their workers way less.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ornamented Death posted:

It's universal in that HAZWOPER training material refers to them as SDSes now, but it's hard getting people that have called them MSDSes for years or decades to change their lingo.

Eh I'm mostly a 33 and 49 guy. They're mostly back up paper work for me, I care about haz decs and manifests. That said the high consequence shippers are still calling them MSDS.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

OwlFancier posted:

You jest but we also price things by volume or quantity in addition to the SKU price to assist people in working out the cheapest way to buy things in volume, which is another good practice.

What's really fun is when they start changing the units on you based on product or container size. I once saw ketchup being measured in both ounces and gallons, and in the dairy section I've seen butter measured in ounces and grams.

Fun times!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That's just the ounces / fluid ounces weirdness, though.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Great Metal Jesus posted:

This describes literally every Safeway ever, it's kind of amazing. I've moved around the bay area a bit and frequented four Safeways across three counties and every single one is cripplingly understaffed at all times. It doesn't matter if you roll in at midnight, you're gonna wait in line. Self check out can never have more than half the machines actually working, it's a law or something.

I honestly don't know why I still go there.

self-checkout is a great idea conceptually (haha, see my custom title) and lord knows I pocketed a ton of cash when they first unveiled it and olds would choose cash back and walk away or forget their change, but it is pretty much nothing more than a register for relative stupidity. Watching someone puzzle through it and get all befuddled despite the simplicity of the process is annoying, and pretty much once a week I witness some utterly retarded middle-aged white guy bellow about finding an obvious loophole in the system because "there is no bar code for carrots", brandishing the vegetable with a look of surly triumph, only to blush one minute later when the teen-aged, minority assistant sullenly and disgustedly points out the separate and easily accessible system for choosing and weighing produce

still faster than the cashier lineups though so, welp

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
loving white people using self checkouts

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

Because the sales tax is 8%? Aren't you complaining that the sales tax isn't included on the price tag now? $500 item with 8% sales tax, that's $540.

Then it should be $540 (incl tax) on the price tag, on the ad, on the till, and on the receipt. Maybe have (incl. 8% sales tax) in small print somewhere, but it's really not relevant in daily life.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Self Checkout only sucks with Age restricted items.

And Target's self checkout.

Target's self checkout is an abomination.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

call to action posted:

loving white people using self checkouts

it is always a self-entitled middle aged white guy who goes into rage mode instead of assessing the causal factors for his inability to make tech thing do good what he want

it's called privilege, also cf. white fragility "I cannot conceivably be the cause of this annoying feedback loop"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blowfish posted:

Then it should be $540 (incl tax) on the price tag, on the ad, on the till, and on the receipt. Maybe have (incl. 8% sales tax) in small print somewhere, but it's really not relevant in daily life.

It can't be that on the ad because on the store down the street the sales tax is 4% and at the store across the river the sales tax is 5%, and then the one 10 miles away is 0% - let alone soemthing national that might be advertised across hundreds of rates.

That's the problem. That's why it's not done, here or in Canada.

Heliogabalos posted:

it is always a self-entitled middle aged white guy who goes into rage mode instead of assessing the causal factors for his inability to make tech thing do good what he want

it's called privilege, also cf. white fragility "I cannot conceivably be the cause of this annoying feedback loop"

Hot tip: a huge amount of older Americans are functionally illiterate due to the public education system being a whole lot worse than it is now, back when they were going through it, even people who are just like 55 today. They're like seriously often unable to read the kind of instructions on a self-checkout even though those are written so a 10 year old could follow them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

It can't be that on the ad because on the store down the street the sales tax is 4% and at the store across the river the sales tax is 5%, and then the one 10 miles away is 0% - let alone soemthing national that might be advertised across hundreds of rates.

That's the problem. That's why it's not done, here or in Canada.

then fix your tax code to have more standardisation and common sense instead of freedom

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blowfish posted:

then fix your tax code to have more standardisation and common sense instead of freedom

yeah i definitely do not want the current government passing any sort of constitutional amendment to deal with taxation

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

blowfish posted:

Okay. The reason our tax code is that way is because we have a federal form of government, and every state, county, and city can make their own laws, taxes included. Now, I can't speak for Canada, but in America in order to change this we would require, at minimum, a extremely thorough and long constitutional amendment, or a constitutional convention, or a revolution. That's what it would take to centralize the U.S. government, and you can see why nobody is thrilled about the idea of doing that to make the tax code make slightly more sense.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ratoslov posted:

Okay. The reason our tax code is that way is because we have a federal form of government, and every state, county, and city can make their own laws, taxes included. Now, I can't speak for Canada, but in America in order to change this we would require, at minimum, a extremely thorough and long constitutional amendment, or a constitutional convention, or a revolution. That's what it would take to centralize the U.S. government, and you can see why nobody is thrilled about the idea of doing that to make the tax code make slightly more sense.

Yes but think of the alternative: doing math!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

blowfish posted:

hahahahahah

you do know in the distant past, nearly EVERY TRANSACTION had to be negotiated. The very fact that there's a market with agreed-upon prices on commodities and products to save time is a pretty modern marvel, and here you are getting pissed that it's not perfectly universal enough to suit your needs yet

the west deserves to fall

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just lol if you aren't still negotiating most of your major purchases anyways. (people who try to do this in places where you clearly can't are horrible though, or come from a culture where there's no such thing as a non-negotiable price and absolutely can not believe there isn't room for negotiating the price of this very set government fee)

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 12, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mozi posted:

That's just the ounces / fluid ounces weirdness, though.

No, I mean one container of yogurt will have the price listed in ounces, and the other will be listed in pints or gallons. The same brand of ketchup was listed in ounces or gallons based on the size of the container. I've seen cheese listed in either ounces, pounds or grams. That's some petty bullshit right there.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just don't understand the use case for all-inclusive pricing. Are you making every trip to the store with a precise itemized list and exact change in your pocket? Will you go bankrupt if you accidentally shop at the grocery store in the jurisdiction that passed a 5c disincentive tax on soda?

All of this seems like a few vacationers going "I went to America once and things were slightly different than they are at home!" :argh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I just don't understand the use case for all-inclusive pricing. Are you making every trip to the store with a precise itemized list and exact change in your pocket? Will you go bankrupt if you accidentally shop at the grocery store in the jurisdiction that passed a 5c disincentive tax on soda?

All of this seems like a few vacationers going "I went to America once and things were slightly different than they are at home!" :argh:

This is how most of the world displays prices, the american system can be a bit of a shock like coming up against inches/feet/fractions vs simple decimals "lol dumb euros are too stupid to do some simple division when converting units". I'm sure it's totally fine if you're used to it and there's legitimate reasons it can't easily be changed or even needs to be changed but there's no reason to constantly insult anyone who prefers inclusive price tags in retail. I have no idea why this topic made a few people so enraged and defensive. I actually learned a bit about american sales tax systems through all the insults so at least something came out of it.

Why do people like inclusive pricing? I just like them because it saves you from having to pull out your phone or do some math in your head, that's all. I'm Canadian so I'm quite used to the north america pre-tax and fee price tag system but I still get a bit of a shock sometimes when I get my total. I much preferred shopping in europe or asia or anywhere else because the price on the shelf/tag is the price you'll pay at the till. Same reason I like it when the price tags list the unit prices and then break down the price per 100mg or what ever so you can comparison shop easier. Sure I could bust out a phone and punch in the numbers, it's just nice to have it there for you, saves you some thinking or button pressing. That's all, it's just nice. A very very minor thing, nothing worth flying off the handle about and I get why it's not a reasonable expectation to see in the US.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 12, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well, nobody is arguing that our system is perfect.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

This is how most of the world displays prices, the american system can be a bit of a shock like coming up against inches/feet/fractions vs simple decimals "lol dumb euros are too stupid to do some simple division when converting units". I'm sure it's totally fine if you're used to it and there's legitimate reasons it can't easily be changed or even needs to be changed but there's no reason to constantly insult anyone who prefers inclusive price tags in retail. I have no idea why this topic made a few people so enraged and defensive. I actually learned a bit about american sales tax systems through all the insults so at least something came out of it.

Why do people like inclusive pricing? I just like them because it saves you from having to pull out your phone or do some math in your head, that's all. I'm Canadian so I'm quite used to the north america pre-tax and fee price tag system but I still get a bit of a shock sometimes when I get my total. I much preferred shopping in europe or asia or anywhere else because the price on the shelf/tag is the price you'll pay at the till. Same reason I like it when the price tags list the unit prices and then break down the price per 100mg or what ever so you can comparison shop easier. Sure I could bust out a phone and punch in the numbers, it's just nice to have it there for you, saves you some thinking or button pressing. That's all, it's just nice. A very very minor thing, nothing worth flying off the handle about and I get why it's not a reasonable expectation to see in the US.

Oh sure, you rage on for pages about how stupid Americans are for requiring people to a.) know a number b.) do a single, simple piece of math in their heads with that number, but people go "actually it's like this for these reasons and it's not that big of a deal" and you're :qq:ing about "insults." While you're on a learning-things kick maybe tackle the concept that asking people to repeat an explanation multiple times while implying they're all morons for not changing the explanation to whatever imaginary answer you were angling for tends to wear on people's patience. Even us big fat dumb Americans with our big fat dumb elementary-grade math problem.

We do have per-unit pricing here in the States too. Try not to "fly off the handle" about this fact, you gigantic crybaby.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has someone ITT literally pulled out their phone to calculate the post tax price or their items when they went to the grocery store or something? That seems insane.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Has someone ITT literally pulled out their phone to calculate the post tax price or their items when they went to the grocery store or something? That seems insane.

it is as generally grocery items are not taxed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it is as generally grocery items are not taxed

Except here in Mississippi, home of regressive ideas!