Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If glass backs are what's required to have wireless charging and a "premium" feel, then you can keep wireless charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nexus 5 had a plastic back, and that worked fine. --edit: Nevermind, plastic isn't premium, if you want that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm fine with a plastic back and I think it can be made to feel premium, but the manufacturers feel otherwise.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nexus 5 had a plastic back, and that worked fine. --edit: Nevermind, plastic isn't premium, if you want that.

This is why we need carbon fiber.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really need a premium feel as any phone I spend Pixel or equivalent money on is getting encased in a block of adamantium at the first possible opportunity. Which probably lets out wireless charging too.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It's fine, just throw the phone in the microwave to recharge it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

One day people will learn to re-accept plastic as tough, comfortable, good-looking, permeable to radio and electromagnetic signals, and loving affordable.

Someday. Glass sucks, metal is okay but plastic is definitely the best. Need a trend-setter like apple or Samsung to just do it on a good phone.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What about Ceramic backs?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
lol glass back iphone

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Randabis posted:

Is it really worth the trouble of diving in and rooting/custom romming it? Right now I just have it on the latest stock B32 update and looking at forums online seems like It's be pretty easy to go custom, but I'm just not sure what that would really do for me over keeping the stock setup.

MiFavor doesn't seem to be improving dramatically any time soon (you can finally edit the quick toggles!) and ZTE's security update pace can be described as languid at best. Not sure if going custom still breaks the fancy hifi dac inside though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Why would you need a glass back for Qi charging? My Nexus 6 is on its Qi charger right now:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

I'm fine with a plastic back and I think it can be made to feel premium, but the manufacturers feel otherwise.

I'm really liking the leather case on my iPhone - someone needs to do a leather back again (not a Note 3 fake one but a real one like those Motorolas had).

Then again I guess with stuff like Teslas going vegan any leather would put off some portion of the market these days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My Moto X Pure is one of the most premium feeling phones I've ever held and it had a rubberized textured back. It may not have had wireless charging, but that's a different issue.

This trend of creating artful pieces of glass and metal so they can be encased in a $5 rubberized shell really needs to end. It's designers wanking off for product shots.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rexxed posted:

Why would you need a glass back for Qi charging? My Nexus 6 is on its Qi charger right now:

Yeah, Qi charging has been around for a hot moment even before glass backed phones became a thing. The Galaxy S5s would support Qi charging if you bought the Samsung Qi backplate for it for like, 10 bucks, and those were plastic backed.

I actually recently stopped Qi charging because it seemed like it was killing the battery life on my S5 way faster than not using it. I'm on my 4th battery for my s5 and my first battery lasted longer than the last three combined.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Randabis posted:

What do you guys think about the ZTE Axon 7? I just got the 4/64GB model and really like it so far and was wondering what others that are familiar with it thought about it since I don't really hear or see anyone talking about what seems to be a pretty darn good phone for the price.

It's really good. Me and quite a few other goons picked it up when it came out. I'm not a huge fan of the camera I guess? Other then that I love it

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Randabis posted:

Thanks for responding! Glad to see I am not the only one singing it's praises. I got mine from Newegg and got the gold model. The camera seems like the main complaint I see about it, but it still seems to be good enough for my casual purposes, and it looks like it can do some decent video recording if I need it. I could definitely see it being a big deal to people who heavily use their phones for that purpose though.

Is it really worth the trouble of diving in and rooting/custom romming it? Right now I just have it on the latest stock B32 update and looking at forums online seems like It's be pretty easy to go custom, but I'm just not sure what that would really do for me over keeping the stock setup.

The price was definitely attractive to me because I wanted a phone with pretty beefy hardware (and USB-C was a requirement, I'll never go back to micro-USB on a phone cause I really hate those lovely connectors) so this seemed to be the way to go if I couldn't afford a Pixel/XL, but wanted more than the good cheap Motorolas offer.

My last phone was an LG Stylo 2 Plus (MetroPCS branded) that I got from one of their stores. It still works fine (other than micro USB issues) and the cheap stylus built-in to it broke at the tip so you basically couldn't take it out anymore. I didn't really miss it to be honest. It'll be an okay backup phone if anything ever happens to this one, but gently caress LG man. The fingerprint reader on that phone sucks compared to the Axon's too.

I can't even imagine not rooting an Android device, how would I use Adaway and Titanium Backup? I know you can back up through Google, poorly, and I hear you can adblock by tunneling through a VPN, but I prefer to do things as well and as thoroughly as possible. So, root for sure.

Custom ROM is up to you, I guess, I personally get bored with my phone or annoyed with the slowness of the manufacturer releasing updates so it makes sense for me. Supposedly there can be warranty issues with a phone with an unlocked bootloader (obviously you wouldn't be running to ZTE with software problems if you were muckin' about) but it's just as easy to re-lock the bootloader and return to stock as it is to unlock and customize.

I had a Nexus 5 two phones ago (before a Oneplus X) and it was probably the best LG phone I've used or had, other than feeling cheaply made. The screen was easy to replace but somehow it seemed to break easier when it was dropped. Miles better than the LG flip phones I used to fix back in the GSM days (or the LG slider, I'm looking at you LG Chocolate you piece of poo poo you).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The one problem with wireless charging is the coil does take up a not insignificant bit of space which with this rush for the thinnest phone race, makes fitting it in there behind the battery a bit of a challenge. I wonder exactly how Apple is doing it in theirs, but really I think everyone here would suffice with the .5mm thickness increase to have it in every device that doesn't have a metal back.

Now if they could figure out how to put it into the metal back itself, that would be neato.

On the Essential Phone, it is going to use the 2 vampire pins to charge it with their special dock, but I can also attest that those pins work well to feed whatever accessories they plan for it. The 360 Camera is a freaking battery hog and eats power doing its 4K recording and realtime stitching. It looks pretty good but man, you want a charger around if you are playing with it a lot.

The included charger does charge the phone extremely fast which Is good. 9V 3A so it goes from 20% to 100% in under an hour.

However, if they don't drop the source so we can get Root and some other things on this thing, I might be returning it under the 15 day limit. The hardware is amazing but the software really does feel unpolished and makes it look and feel worse than most 3rd party roms. Coming from something like Pure Nexus or stock Nexus/Pixel which was super refined, to this, it doesn't feel like the Father of Android has been much of a day in more than title alone.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The s7 supports wireless charging without swapping out the back, does it not?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Groetgaffel posted:

The s7 supports wireless charging without swapping out the back, does it not?

S6 and up support wireless charging without additional accessories, but they also all have glass backs. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Alright, cool. My girlfriend's got an s7, so I'll give her my charging pad that I won't need or use now that I've replaced my S5.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
Some people in my office were watching the event... and my joke of "You're going to get what everyone else had 2 years ago" became even more true when my PALM FREAKIN PRE PLUS had wireless charging.

I don't give a crap about glass backs. It's slippery and I'll put a case or bumper on everything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not a hamfisted grease-sweating klutz so I'll continue to not use a case on my Pixel XL with glass on both sides and just choose to not drop it. Now that Apple has once again shown the rest of the world the light, I can't wait until my Pixel 3 has Qi charging again.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Hate to sound like a YouTuber, but dbrand skins are a really nice mid-point between case and non-case if you love the form factor but not the material.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rickets posted:

you can adblock by tunneling through a VPN, but I prefer to do things as well and as thoroughly as possible.

Adblocking through a VPN you run is the best and most thorough way of blocking ads.

LastInLine posted:

I'm not a hamfisted grease-sweating klutz so I'll continue to not use a case on my Pixel XL with glass on both sides and just choose to not drop it. Now that Apple has once again shown the rest of the world the light, I can't wait until my Pixel 3 has Qi charging again.

Caseless goons unite!

If you're just too afraid you're going to drop your phone, you might consider if insurance is worth it to keep from going caseless.

That being said, this history of this discussion is pushing into the wired/wireless headphone type of conversation.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Who the gently caress cares about frequency plots? That's a fallacy.

The issue grack probably has, as do I, is that there's already compressed data with all its artifacts, and it's yet again submitted through another lossy codec. I don't want any ringing artifacts and other poo poo to become audible. Doesn't help that I was inadvertently trained to notice them back in the old days, hanging out on Hydrogenaudio. Nor does it help that I listen to electronic music, which exacerbates issues with psychoacoustics.

what if the "ringing artifacts and other poo poo" is actually an intended part of the music
i mean its electronic music

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I'm not worried about dropping my pixel, I was worried about the shitton of scratches the back glass collected just sitting on my desk at work for a week after I got it. I've never had a device wear that fast on me before.

I'm glad the 2 seems to have a raised camera ring and smaller panel, might not have to worry about it there.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I really thought I'd miss qi, but since I mostly only ever have to charge my phone once a day (overnight obvs) and the usb-c connection has removed the fumble it's just not a big deal any more

I'm also fairly sure it's was trashing batteries way quicker too

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

USB-C is good and cool but so is wireless charging and I'm glad it's making a comeback

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
My G6 has wireless charging and I quite like having it even though it didn't factor into my purchase at all. There's something novel about just putting your phone down on the desk as usual and it charging like it's no big deal.

But again, this is something that the original Droid Turbo had. Along with a plastic bezel and kevlar back. I miss that phone.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

I'm not worried about dropping my pixel, I was worried about the shitton of scratches the back glass collected just sitting on my desk at work for a week after I got it. I've never had a device wear that fast on me before.

I'm glad the 2 seems to have a raised camera ring and smaller panel, might not have to worry about it there.

Yeah they didn't make the back panel out of gorilla glass or whatever. People have noticed that.

Unless you literally have sand grains all over your work space or whatever, naked glass phones are fine unless you're literally a klutz like my nephew, who managed to shatter my hand-me-down Nexus 5, and also somehow put a screen-wide crack on the international Droid Turbo I gave him next.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Zlodo posted:

what if the "ringing artifacts and other poo poo" is actually an intended part of the music
i mean its electronic music
Sure, I've been prone to false positives before. I don't deny that. But when I listen to best quality versions at home with decent quality cans, then would listen to the same tracks at work in certain now unspeakable ways, it becomes discernible.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Thermopyle posted:

Adblocking through a VPN you run is the best and most thorough way of blocking ads.

Can you expand on this?

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Thermopyle posted:

Of course it's not.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Skarsnik posted:

I really thought I'd miss qi, but since I mostly only ever have to charge my phone once a day (overnight obvs) and the usb-c connection has removed the fumble it's just not a big deal any more

I'm also fairly sure it's was trashing batteries way quicker too

Yeah I agree, I liked wireless charging on my Nexus 5 but the Dash charge on the Oneplus 5 is fantastic. It will hit 80%+ from single digit battery in under half an hour. Love it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

seravid posted:

Can you expand on this?

You set up a server running an IP sec VPN along with Privoxy, adblocking. You then use that as your VPN.

Ads never* get to your phone and your phone doesn't waste bandwidth, battery, or Cpu power on the task.

Also you're on an encrypted VPN protecting your traffic from whatever poo poo public wifi network you're on or whatever dumb stuff your carrier is doing to your connection.

Google "algo VPN" for a nice piece of software that provisions and configures a cloud server for you.

*Depending on how up to date your ad block lists are.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm just using adguard at the moment but once I've got a spare hour or two that's definitely the route I'm going

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

You set up a server running an IP sec VPN along with Privoxy, adblocking. You then use that as your VPN.

Ads never* get to your phone and your phone doesn't waste bandwidth, battery, or Cpu power on the task.

Also you're on an encrypted VPN protecting your traffic from whatever poo poo public wifi network you're on or whatever dumb stuff your carrier is doing to your connection.

Google "algo VPN" for a nice piece of software that provisions and configures a cloud server for you.

*Depending on how up to date your ad block lists are.

Seconding algo. I spent an hour re-doing it (significant updates from when I first set it up) and it's so easy (as long as you have something not Windows to run the script on).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I'll never understand why companies purposefully make their phones so slippery. The absolute worst one I had was the Nexus 4.

The G5+ is worse and seems specifically designed to glide right out of your hands and onto the floor.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

LastInLine posted:

One day you're gonna be real drunk standing around with your friends during a barbeque chatting and you're going to try to put your phone in your pocket but you'll miss because again you're drunk and it's just going to slip out of the pocket's opening and smash against the hard mosaic with the strength of a million suns and what then motherfucker

Then when you use an old phone as a temp you're going to walk up to your night stand and pick it up and then it'll slip because god modern telephones are so skinny and awkward to hold and again it'll collide with the floor with such strength you're surprised the ground didn't crack too

EDIT: And yeah all glass bodies sure look pretty for the ten seconds you're switching sim cards exposed to the air before you encase your phone in a cheap lovely silicone case
And no matter what kind of ceramic and ballistic glass new phones are made of you are wrapping that poo poo up in a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

So is algo basically the same idea as a pihole