Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I'm selling a car on ebay :(

How many messages saying 'How much do U wont for it M8????' am I going to get by the end of this?
Ebay isn't actually that bad, but stay the gently caress away from Facebook sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Been a Nexus / Pixel fan since the Galaxy Nexus, but interested in the iPX. Adding wireless charging and tiny bezels and stuff might be enough to sway me to the dark side.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I just got a 2003 f150 4x4 with a 4.6

The radio sounds like a dirty cloaca

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Still better than the idiots who phone you at 2am to ask for the best price for something you're selling on Autotrader.

I only got one message via autotrader on the last day of my ad which was a very sensible "Will you take <reasonable offer> based on the condition and due to Y?"

To which I responded promptly 'Yes I will if you can come within the next 3 days when I am at home' and then I didn't get a response until today (PM of day 4). Weird people.

Its currently on ebay bid up to £250 with 6 days to go and someone just rang me via the ebay ad and offered me £250 - which seems to show a lack of understanding of the auction process.

To take my mind of the car I have been replacing my house alarm which gave up last week with a control board fault. My alarm is from 1995 but I am replacing it with the current/new version of the same Alarm - which is compatible with the PIR's and keypads and comes in a case which is externally identical. The control board that goes in it is also the same physical size and and has the same inputs/outputs plus a bunch more.

You would think that they would have kept it the same internally too - but no, they have moved the standoff/mounting locations on the board and moved the tamper switch so you have to swap the whole case over rather than just swapping the board over, and they have moved 8 of the connections around to the opposite end of the board just to make it really hard to get your existing wiring to fit.

And the keypads - which are also the same physical size and approximate appearance have all the screw holes and the wire entry breakouts in different places. They have given me a choice of 8 screwholes in the back and none of them line up with the 4 the old keypads had. Bastards.

InitialDave posted:

Ebay isn't actually that bad, but stay the gently caress away from Facebook sales.

I had it on facebook too. I just got loads of stupid offers. Yes I'd love to take £150 for a car advertised at £950

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 12, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
As a former Apple fixer and seller I love announcement days because I don't have gently caress all to do with them anymore. I'm so glad I'm out of that game.

That's my one bright shining light today. This has been a (admittedly first-world, low stakes) poo poo week for me.

All summer I've been working on this stupid Subaru with a bad head gasket. I finally got it all back together, after having to pull he motor again once because of a leaking timing case. It ran like a dream after a warmup cycle and a test drive. I parked it to cool off so I could check the levels. Everything's great! I decidr I want to listen to it purr a little more at 10pm last night so I start it up. Hey... what's that under the car? Coolant? Is it coming from a hose? No. The thermostat housing? Closer, but no. It's leaking from the loving head gasket.

Guess I'll just buy a new motor because gently caress all of that noise. Anyone got any advice on eBay JDM motors? Probably should have just done this in the first place.

Also my wife dropped a bomb on me Saturday. She hates sailing and our sailboat. I've spent the last year reading, and learning as much as I can about sailing. Found a boat, sold a motorcycle and a car so I could buy it and a truck to tow it. She says she regretted it immediately and wishes we still had the stupid Camry. That sailing is too stressful (because I'm the only one with a quarter clue about what needs to be going on), and there's too much standing around during rigging and launching (there's a lot less standing around if you're HELPING, deer.)

Oh, and my boss said he had a contact with a local sports team marketing dept and was going to get us some backstage access and see how they think/work. Totally sweet. We were going to bring the interns and +1s to a Sunday game and it was going to be awesome. Then yesterday he decided that he'd rather we go to a weeknight game because it might be a better opportunity to meet the players. That means we have to worry about coverage because workday, so he wants to uninvite some of the interns, who I feel would most benefit from seeing how a big org works from the inside.

I just feel like everything I've tried to do the last 6months has blown up in my loving face. I feel like the next thing is going to be sinkhole opening up under my feet, and it can loving take me at this point.

Thanks for letting me rant. I know this is all small poo poo, especially since some of you are going through poo poo magnitudes deeper. Seriously though, if anyone has advice for quality used Subaru motors I'd be grateful.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tomarse posted:

I'm selling a car on ebay :(

How many messages saying 'How much do U wont for it M8????' am I going to get by the end of this?

And every time a car dealer or someone related to their operations posts why they are difficult to deal with, they get ragged on. Buyers suck in general, and sometimes the buyer is you. Of course sellers suck too. Everyone out to make a buck or save a buck sucks.
E: not really. I sold my last old falcon for $1200, buyer paid asking price. I bought a good amp and dvd player for next to nothing too using gumtree. I bought my current car for next to asking price (knocked off $200 for obvious hosed battery which costs that much). But these were all cheap things. E: there's a value you ask or shop for where I think where buyers get worse if it's below or above that point.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 12, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

monsterzero posted:

As a former Apple fixer and seller I love announcement days because I don't have gently caress all to do with them anymore. I'm so glad I'm out of that game.

That's my one bright shining light today. This has been a (admittedly first-world, low stakes) poo poo week for me.

Its okay, Android will always have the better and newer features first

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Its okay, Android will always have the better and newer features first

I don't give a gently caress about Android vs iOS besides how much work it is for me to support BYOD. It's too bad android is also the choice of low-knowledge (aka cheap) smartphone users, because a pain in the rear end to support and manuf/carrier/dessert-type changes don't loving help me any.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

monsterzero posted:

All summer I've been working on this stupid Subaru with a bad head gasket. I finally got it all back together, after having to pull he motor again once because of a leaking timing case. It ran like a dream after a warmup cycle and a test drive. I parked it to cool off so I could check the levels. Everything's great! I decidr I want to listen to it purr a little more at 10pm last night so I start it up. Hey... what's that under the car? Coolant? Is it coming from a hose? No. The thermostat housing? Closer, but no. It's leaking from the loving head gasket.

Guess I'll just buy a new motor because gently caress all of that noise. Anyone got any advice on eBay JDM motors? Probably should have just done this in the first place.

Also my wife dropped a bomb on me Saturday. She hates sailing and our sailboat. I've spent the last year reading, and learning as much as I can about sailing. Found a boat, sold a motorcycle and a car so I could buy it and a truck to tow it. She says she regretted it immediately and wishes we still had the stupid Camry. That sailing is too stressful (because I'm the only one with a quarter clue about what needs to be going on), and there's too much standing around during rigging and launching (there's a lot less standing around if you're HELPING, deer.)

Oh, and my boss said he had a contact with a local sports team marketing dept and was going to get us some backstage access and see how they think/work. Totally sweet. We were going to bring the interns and +1s to a Sunday game and it was going to be awesome. Then yesterday he decided that he'd rather we go to a weeknight game because it might be a better opportunity to meet the players. That means we have to worry about coverage because workday, so he wants to uninvite some of the interns, who I feel would most benefit from seeing how a big org works from the inside.

I just feel like everything I've tried to do the last 6months has blown up in my loving face. I feel like the next thing is going to be sinkhole opening up under my feet, and it can loving take me at this point.

Thanks for letting me rant. I know this is all small poo poo, especially since some of you are going through poo poo magnitudes deeper. Seriously though, if anyone has advice for quality used Subaru motors I'd be grateful.

Hey, we all gotta rant once in a while.

I would sell the boat and use the proceeds fix or replace the Subaru. Any used engine you find is likely to have the same issue eventually. Head gaskets seem to be a common Subaru thing.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

rdb posted:

Hey, we all gotta rant once in a while.

I would sell the boat and use the proceeds fix or replace the Subaru. Any used engine you find is likely to have the same issue eventually. Head gaskets seem to be a common Subaru thing.

Eh, respectfully gently caress that. I like sailing, I'm going to keep doing it with or without her.

I'm probably just going to buy a $1200 used motor (not breaking the bank) and roll the dice. The H6s aren't supposed to have frequent HG issues, and this one only failed at 135k after seeping externally for 40k. If my 90k JDM motor lasts 50k I'll be happy, and either sell the car at that point or throw another motor in. At this point I can swap the motor in about four hours. Pulling the heads takes a lot more time/effort/expensive gaskets and has a non-zero chance of failure.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cell signal is miles better than it was this morning/last night, when I couldn't even get anything to load, let alone post from home. If the cell tower by me just came back online, hopefully that means I'll have power soon.

REALLY hope I get my WiFi back with the power, too. I got classwork to finish. :suicide:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ok, so DigiKey has these awesome little threaded L brackets that I found:

The only thing that kinda sucks about them is that .437" dimension on the short leg. Ideally, I'd like something around an inch or longer. Checked BoltDepot, Fastenal, and McMaster and haven't had much luck. Can you guys think of anywhere else to look?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

monsterzero posted:

I don't give a gently caress about Android vs iOS besides how much work it is for me to support BYOD. It's too bad android is also the choice of low-knowledge (aka cheap) smartphone users, because a pain in the rear end to support and manuf/carrier/dessert-type changes don't loving help me any.

So, you do care

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

So, you do care

You got me. Android sucks, android users are all basically Hitler and Tim Cook can do no wrong.

I hate Apple but their products are easier support in the hands of folks who say poo poo like, "what's a web browser?" in TGODDAMNEDYOOL2k17.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Got a call back on my truck, wasn't bad fuel just a dead fuel pump. Eye watering r&r ($700 for delphi fuel pump, filter, and large vehicle flat tow) reminds me why I try to do my own work.

That being said, the 32 gallon tank was full, so dropping it would have been no fun for me. Can't really pull the dually bed with its easily damaged (but currently like new) fiberglass fenders and gooseneck hitch either. So it goes.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CommieGIR posted:

So, you do care

Im going to rename you D&DLite one of these days

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

Today is a good day

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Larrymer posted:

Today is a good day
As long as my ignore list updates, this.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

I'll go in halfsies.

It's a texticle. who cares. Just remember to look up from it occasionally when piloting 2 tons of high carbon steel, TIA.

E: Spouse bought a Scanning electron microscope today :kimchi:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

who else is on the iPhone X train choo choo

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cursedshitbox posted:

E: Spouse bought a Scanning electron microscope today :kimchi:

Wants to finally see your penis then?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Can someone explain to me why Wrangler jeans that are $20 at Target and on Wrangler's site itself are $like $35 and up (and I mean UP) on Amazon?
What the gently caress.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

nah still good with my ip7 and still dont miss the computer janitor android experience

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spog posted:

Now I feel bad about insulting CSB's penis.

I am sure it is lovely.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Starting price in Canada is $1300.

Another year of janitoring my Nexus 5, sigh

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Check out this cool/vintage I assume trans cooler I saw today:

Maybe this is super common but I don't recall seeing you done up like this.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That.... that is cool.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

It's a texticle.

:vince: That's perfect.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

Starting price in Canada is $1300.

Another year of janitoring my Nexus 5, sigh

Yeah "starting from $1319" is a little dear for me. Maybe an 8, my launchish 5S barely holds a charge.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I am, once I get a chance to handle it. It doesn't look too narrow.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rdb posted:

I am, once I get a chance to handle it. It doesn't look too narrow.

Bigger screen than the plus in a smaller format

It's like right between the 8 and the 8 Plus so I'm sold

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

spog posted:

Sweet summer child

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Sweet summer child

It's ok, he's new and doesnt understand what redbullcan means.

E: VVV YES :D

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

Sweet summer child

You're right, you'd have to coat it in an electrically conductive material first.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You're right, you'd have to coat it in an electrically conductive material first.

Like CSB needs to be any harder.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sweet... animated talking poop emoji. Man, Apple is really trailblazing those cutting edge features.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

As promised, here are those photos from Arts & Autos 2017 this last Saturday right here!

It was a lot busier than I expected so I didn't get a lot of good photos, unfortunately.

While at the show we stopped in at one of the diners on the square... I'm gonna show you the best drat menu art I've ever seen at a restaurant:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I'm okay with this.

Why lite though? I have all the sugar and calories of normal D&D. Ask Ilkhan and his hurt bum.

monsterzero posted:

You got me. Android sucks, android users are all basically Hitler and Tim Cook can do no wrong.

I hate Apple but their products are easier support in the hands of folks who say poo poo like, "what's a web browser?" in TGODDAMNEDYOOL2k17.

I fully understand, I was just giving you poo poo as a Android power user. I fully get why Apple is the better phone for end users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I now treat phones like I do cars cars. I like to buy a used one that is atleast 18 months old so that someone else takes the big financial hit, and so that by being a generation or two behind parts are cheap for me to fix it and I don't have to worry about damaging it during daily use.

Go out and buy those iPhone X's people as it will drop prices in the used phone market for the sensible people like me (and i probably need to upgrade from a 5c within the next 12 months...)

• Locked thread