Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i guess ill grab x some time in the next 6 months, after it's been out in the wild and tested for rear end-bend, purple photo images, and other applesque diseases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

can the iPhone adjust the fstop or are they just changing exposure time?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i see, so 2.4 (the x one) is a bit better for lovely on the go "funny thing is happening" photos

Correct. Not a lot better, but a bit better. Also only if you actually use the telephoto lens since the wide angle is default.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tk posted:

Correct. Not a lot better, but a bit better. Also only if you actually use the telephoto lens since the wide angle is default.

ah, i thought it hooks up both to make some fancy poo poo up. what's the telephoto lens meant for then, in simple terms?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the main thing I learned today was that touchid has a dupe rate of 1:50,000 I'd thought it would be way higher than that

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ah, i thought it hooks up both to make some fancy poo poo up. what's the telephoto lens meant for then, in simple terms?

The telephoto is just zoomed in ("1x" vs. "2x" on my 7+, and I would imagine that hasn't changed). When I take phone pictures I almost exclusively use the telephoto because wide angle inevitably captures a bunch of poo poo I don't really want and then it gets cropped and blown up to look like a flip phone camera picture. It's not the default though so sometimes I get annoyed that I forgot to use it .

I think it uses only both of them for portrait mode to do fancy effects. I don't really know though and didn't watch today's presentation so they may have talked about that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tk posted:

The telephoto is just zoomed in ("1x" vs. "2x" on my 7+, and I would imagine that hasn't changed). When I take phone pictures I almost exclusively use the telephoto because wide angle inevitably captures a bunch of poo poo I don't really want and then it gets cropped and blown up to look like a flip phone camera picture. It's not the default though so sometimes I get annoyed that I forgot to use it .

I think it uses only both of them for portrait mode to do fancy effects. I don't really know though and didn't watch today's presentation so they may have talked about that.

ah i see. they blabbered a lot about the portrait mode, but it was mostly some light sensing magic to cover up introduction of photo filters, i think. can't say i paid much attention to it since, as you see, i know about as much about photography as a pig does about oranges

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i still use a 5s that i've yet to see from apple a compelling reason to upgrade from

also, steve would have taken all the means of producing (including killing the engineers who worked on them) the SE/6s/6s+/7 and melted it to slag and only then announced the X

you can tell Tim's lean manufacturing background leaks all over the new Apple, he just can't kill older products if he still has inventory to sell

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
so did anybody make a supercut of the keynote yet?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Reminder that my 2 year old win phone has a better display than the iPhone x Super Retinal™

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
jk i don't care

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can just get 8, op

meh

not impressed, keeping old phone

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Shaggar posted:

Reminder that my 2 year old win phone has a better display than the iPhone x Super Retinal™

i think thats really unlikely op

it might have bigger numbers in the specs but resolution isnt everything

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tk posted:

A smaller number lets more light in so you can have faster shutter speeds and/or less noise. It also has a shallower depth of field so background stuff gets blurred out more.

A bigger number lets in less light so you have to have the shutter open longer and/or more noise. It has a deeper depth of field so more stuff will be in focus.

yeah, but the sensor is the size of donald trump's dick, so you aren't going get any serious small depth of field on normal shots without faking it w/ software

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

poty posted:

i think thats really unlikely op

it might have bigger numbers in the specs but resolution isnt everything

nope the lumia 950 screen is better or the same on all specs.
lol @ the iphone x's comedy 458 dpi

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the front-camera bump is really distracting

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the front-camera bump is really distracting

what?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

he means the cutout on x i guess

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Shaggar posted:

nope the lumia 950 screen is better or the same on all specs.
lol @ the iphone x's comedy 458 dpi

whats the contrast ratio

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

yeah, but the sensor is the size of donald trump's dick, so you aren't going get any serious small depth of field on normal shots without faking it w/ software
True, I wouldn't know, True.

hobbesmaster posted:

can the iPhone adjust the fstop or are they just changing exposure time?

Nope. The aperture on each lens is fixed. Time and noise only.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wheany posted:

so did anybody make a supercut of the keynote yet?

Craig's faces during the emoji presentation

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/reichenstein/status/907690245218619392

my wallet's itchy...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

where is the wireless airpod case tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ah i see. they blabbered a lot about the portrait mode, but it was mostly some light sensing magic to cover up introduction of photo filters, i think. can't say i paid much attention to it since, as you see, i know about as much about photography as a pig does about oranges

portrait mode is a gimmick to fake shallow depth of field. i've seen some horrible examples and some good ones

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

poty posted:

whats the contrast ratio

infinite

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cool if true

quote:

Cast your eye over the specifications for the recently launched iPhone X and iPhone 8 (and 8 Plus) and you'll find a new addition to the list of audio formats supported. In amongst all the usual suspects is FLAC, a feature that was spotted during the initial trials of a new iOS back in June.

The fact the spec of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus also now show FLAC support would seem to suggest that it's coming as part of iOS 11, the latest version of Apple's operating system which is due to launch for download on 19th September. Could hi-res audio support be on the horizon too?

However, there's no mention of the file format on the respective pages for the iPhone 6 or 6S so it doesn't appear to be a universal roll-out. Also it looks like it's a case of one format in and a couple out. Neither WAV nor AIFF is listed on the supported formats for the new handsets, or the previous generation.
lol @ high res audio though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao I had to take a laser safety training class before being allowed to have an early iPhone X prototype.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The lumia has garbage pentile oled with fuzzy pixels

Has anyone verified yet that the iPhone x has non-garbage rgb oled with properly square pixels?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

im going to buy the phone fyi

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

im going to buy the phone fyi

do it. that A11 CPU is a loving monster

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what's the normal people language difference between 2.4 and 2.8 appertures
it's been asked and answered but a little further: the normal scale for aperture is that f1.4 lets in twice as much light as f2, which lets in twice as much light as f2.8. those are "full stops" in terms of difference. f2.4 lets in 50% more light than f2.8. a half stop of difference. f1.8 vs f2.0 is only one third stop. etc.

besides the functional effect on depth of field (allowing for out of focus backgrounds in certain circumstances) the above means you can take a properly exposed photo at a faster shutter speed if you have a faster aperture. that's why low f number apertures are called "fast"- they let you use fast shutter speeds and therefore freeze action

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i forgot that the base iPhone 7 had a f1.8 lens. this is like the antithesis of the S cycle in so many ways

I'm still getting a base level 8 tho, which is more or less what I was looking for this year

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

portrait mode is a gimmick to fake shallow depth of field. i've seen some horrible examples and some good ones
it's one of the better ways, compared to purely via software, but yeah it doesn't really hold a candle to a dslr/mirrorless with a prime lens

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Shaggar posted:

windows phone best phone

as long as you just use it to read the internet

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

tk posted:

the wide lens is a 28mm equivalent. the telephoto is a 56mm equivalent. those are different optically. it's not just a cropped digital zoom. it's a true optical zoom, albeit fixed at only those two focal lengths

the portrait mode splices two exposures from each focal length using software, as opposed to smudging a detected background on a single exposure which is clownshoes

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

windows phone best phone

as long as you just use it to read the internet

ah yes reading the internet with microsoft internet explorer something everyone loved to do

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

The lumia has garbage pentile oled with fuzzy pixels

Has anyone verified yet that the iPhone x has non-garbage rgb oled with properly square pixels?

the lumia 950 display is sharp as hell

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wtf tim why do I have to wait a week for iOS XI?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

wtf tim why do I have to wait a week for iOS XI?
hes lashing out at you for leaving him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

hes lashing out at you for leaving him

I made that loving chip work, he owes me.

• Locked thread