Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Also yay 64GB base model! Boo raising the price $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not really sure how I feel about the X. The 2 extra hours of battery life seem great though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Main issue with the X is how good/bad faceid ends up being. Hopefully review units get out prior to preorder date.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Apple signing the iOS 11 GM again?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ouhei posted:

I really don't understand why most people don't just use the Apple payment or carrier payment plans. It's basically a 0% finance over 2 years for a phone that lets you upgrade every year by paying the sales tax on the new phone. Like if you're going to upgrade every year it makes all the sense in the world and if you're on 2 years it's still better than shoving all that money up front for something that you're ultimately just going to replace.

People get oddly obsessed over owning something outright when effectively renting it can be better in the right situation.

Depends on how much value the carrier plans are giving you.

Personally I bought upfront and use prepay because the savings over two years more than make up for having to fork out $1429 NZD upfront.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Nothing about the X gets me excited. I also hate the way the screen looks at the top.

However, a 8+ would be pretty nice to have.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Dave posted:

Nothing about the X gets me excited. I also hate the way the screen looks at the top.

I want an X but I hope video apps will have options to box in a bit. Having that top cut into the video would annoy me.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I can't help but think, especially from the very beginning of Federighi's presentation, that facial recognition for Apple Pay will be loving poo poo.

Which is a shame, because I was ready to pay up and get it ASAP.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man, the X really couldn't be any less EDGE TO EDGE. wtf.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Them introducing two phones makes me hesitant to buy anything. I hope they go back to one phone lineup next year.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The X seems like it’s really far into first gen Apple product territory for me. I hope some early reviews or impressions come out

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got a 6S+ currently with a poo poo battery.
X looks neat, but not for 300 goddamn dollars more than the 8. I'll let them work out the FaceID kinks and get the 8+ instead. Especially since the 8 has wireless charging.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

buglord posted:

Them introducing two phones makes me hesitant to buy anything. I hope they go back to one phone lineup next year.

Probably gonna just be the iPhone XS starting at $999

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Got a 6S+ currently with a poo poo battery.
X looks neat, but not for 300 goddamn dollars more than the 8. I'll let them work out the FaceID kinks and get the 8+ instead. Especially since the 8 has wireless charging.

Yeah, having a 6s here makes it a tough call. I'd like to unload it before its value tanks completely but none of these phones are really giving massive GOTTA HAVE IT urges. The X is super shiny and new so there's some draw there, but FaceID is unproven. And the 8 looks exactly like what I have now.

I think the smart move is to keep the 6S another year, but I was really hoping for a big splash from Apple.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
When updating the iPhone, how long should one wait for the "verifying update" popup to end before giving up and trying to update again?

It's been 20 minutes

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Consummate Professional posted:

The X seems like it’s really far into first gen Apple product territory for me. I hope some early reviews or impressions come out

Am I wrong or other than the slightly modified form factor, it really doesnt have any amazing features? FaceID? Who gives a poo poo?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Am I wrong or other than the slightly modified form factor, it really doesnt have any amazing features? FaceID? Who gives a poo poo?

The screen is leaps and bounds better than the 8/8+ or any other iPhone. And the front facing camera is dope if you are into Snapchat, selfies etc.

I feel like they came up just short of the holy grail. The screen is nearly edge to edge, but no Touch ID is a bummer. I will be upgrading from my 6S to an 8+.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

The X also has OIS in both lenses vs just the one on the 8 and a better telephoto aperture

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think the AppleID servers are crashing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's some serious legalese word play in Apple saying, "The most durable glass ever in a smartphone, front and back." Doesn't Motorola have a shatterproof screen? But that's only on the front so...yes, most durable glass ever...front and back.

The Z Force's screen has a layer of plastic over the glass.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Housh posted:

Have or will series 2 watches go on sale? Wouldn't mind picking one up at a discounted price.

There have been good sales for the past 2 months now. I picked up an S2 from Target for $250 about a month ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple is selling 8 goddamn iPhone models this holiday

SE, 6s, 6s+, 7, 7+, 8, 8+, X

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's almost like they want to have something at every price point to make sure anyone that might want one can get one.

Weird!

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/apple-untethers-series-3-watch-with-new-standalone-lte-service/

$10/mo to add the watch to an existing mobile plan. I didn't read that anywhere else yet, maybe I missed it?

Being able to gym/run/whatever with just a watch and AirPods would be very nice, but drat is it a steep investment to get going with that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah no way I'd pay $120 extra up front or whatever + $10/month to not carry a phone on runs. I'll stick with an armband.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So as a iPhone 6 user, I'm trying to see what the differences between the 7 and the 8 are. Is it just OIS available on the 8 and the usual better internals (cpu, camera)? Edit: and 3D Touch and the ability to do wireless charging.

I'm tempted by the X but I'm pretty skeptical that this is what Apple sees as the future. It seems almost a given that they'll get TouchID back in the X line as soon as they work out the under-the-screen tech.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 12, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thwomp posted:

So as a iPhone 6 user, I'm trying to see what the differences between the 7 and the 8 are. Is it just OIS available on the 8 and the usual better internals (cpu, camera)? Edit: and 3D Touch and the ability to do wireless charging.

Same camera actually. Apple's website has a nice feature-by-feature comparison page to play with: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Over the 7, the 8 has 256gb available, a faster processor, wireless charging, 60fps 4k recording.

So they are very similar.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Things Apple has done that are good: 4k movie upgrades on iTunes are free

Things that are bad: everything else

Anyone know if the wireless charging will be possible with regular Qi accessories?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, I totally get the OLED screen thing, but Tim talked like this was some Major Revolutionary poo poo. I don't get that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thwomp posted:

I'm tempted by the X but I'm pretty skeptical that this is what Apple sees as the future. It seems almost a given that they'll get TouchID back in the X line as soon as they work out the under-the-screen tech.

Same camera and OIS on 7 and 8. New processor that probably nobody with a 7 needs. Same RAM. 3D Touch is also on the 7... really, just wireless charging is the big new perk in the 8. Otherwise, a very boring refresh. 7 is a great phone and I can't imagine seeing $150 worth of value in the 8 upgrade.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

OK, I totally get the OLED screen thing, but Tim talked like this was some Major Revolutionary poo poo. I don't get that.

Uh that's SOP for an apple product launch.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Everyone get the SE.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Apple is selling 8 goddamn iPhone models this holiday

SE, 6s, 6s+, 7, 7+, 8, 8+, X

Now start selling different model numbers per retailer for maximum performa

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

manwithoutskin posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/apple-untethers-series-3-watch-with-new-standalone-lte-service/

$10/mo to add the watch to an existing mobile plan. I didn't read that anywhere else yet, maybe I missed it?

Being able to gym/run/whatever with just a watch and AirPods would be very nice, but drat is it a steep investment to get going with that.

I thought about getting a Series 3 instead of a phone since the 8 doesn't seem like a huge leap from my 6S and the X (at least at first glance) didn't wow me enough to want to hand over $1000+.

I guess I won't be getting a Series 3 either.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Sticking with my 6S plus for another year.
The 8 gives just incremental speed updates.

X is kind of what I want (smaller body, big screen), but isn't worth the price to me right now, and the losing touchID sound poo poo. All the actual extra features are bullshit gimmicks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Theophany posted:

I can't help but think, especially from the very beginning of Federighi's presentation, that facial recognition for Apple Pay will be loving poo poo.

Which is a shame, because I was ready to pay up and get it ASAP.

If you rewatch that, it wasn't a failure of Face ID it was because the security thing where it forces a PIN after a certain amount of time kicked in.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Hmm so I've got a 7+ 256 GB, not sure if it's worth upgrading to the 8+

iPhone X looks kinda ugly and no touchID is kinda making me wary.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ChadSexington posted:

I thought about getting a Series 3 instead of a phone since the 8 doesn't seem like a huge leap from my 6S and the X (at least at first glance) didn't wow me enough to want to hand over $1000+.

I guess I won't be getting a Series 3 either.

You don't have to get the LTE verison, there's one without.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So was the 8 enough of an upgrade for it to be called the 8 instead of the 7S? Cause it's just kinda weird that they went 6S, 7, 8, and then 10 (X). I could have maybe seen 7, 7S, X but skipping just the 9 looks weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

GoldfishStew posted:

Everyone get the SE.