Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Minor league baseball team Peoria Chiefs kept the name but changed their logos from Native American imagery and their mascot is a dalmatian with a fireman hat.

Washington Redskins should change their logo to either peanuts or potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

iospace posted:

http://i.imgur.com/HimeIAE.gifv

In which a professional baseball player can't hit a 55mph pitch (h/t: Bob James in SAS)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

canyoneer posted:

Minor league baseball team Peoria Chiefs kept the name but changed their logos from Native American imagery and their mascot is a dalmatian with a fireman hat.

Washington Redskins should change their logo to either peanuts or potatoes.

I kinda have to have animosity toward them regardless, since they're in-division, but I would absolutely love if they just switched to peanuts. They'd become basically my favorite team.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SpacePig posted:

I kinda have to have animosity toward them regardless, since they're in-division, but I would absolutely love if they just switched to peanuts. They'd become basically my favorite team.

It still wouldn't be the stupidest team name in the NFL by a long shot because the Steelers and Packers still exist as team names

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

canyoneer posted:

It still wouldn't be the stupidest team name in the NFL by a long shot because the Steelers and Packers still exist as team names
smh @ this disregard for the working class

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

We Know Catheters posted:

Dwarves are a band 😉

Toiling Midgets are a band

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Grey Fox posted:

smh @ this disregard for the working class

especially when the Houston Texans exist too

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I'm a blackhawks fan but I really wish they'd at the very least ditch the indian head logo. A little while ago a first nations artist out of Canada made this image which i think is pretty awesome, it even keeps the colored feather motif.

I love them and have a jersey that I'll wear to games, but even then it feels weird. Chicago still clings desperately to the "WELL ACTUALLY WE'RE NAMED FOR A WWI DIVISION" but that doesn't really square with the giant indian head logo.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

bobjr posted:

There's a high school in Illinois who used to be called The Chinks, and after pressure had the students vote on changing the name, and twice it stayed. Eventually the school board changed it to the Dragons in the 80's, but apparently there's still people who want it changed back today.

drat I guess I should have bought this when I had the chance

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

God I hate "sports fans" like that. Attaching your identity to some random mascot is the saddest loving thing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/BarstoolHubbs/status/907436478501937153

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flyball posted:

Toiling Midgets are a band

I'm still not sure if Hevonvitun Parrattomat Kääpiöt is a real band or not.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

H2SO4 posted:

I'm a blackhawks fan but I really wish they'd at the very least ditch the indian head logo. A little while ago a first nations artist out of Canada made this image which i think is pretty awesome, it even keeps the colored feather motif.

I love them and have a jersey that I'll wear to games, but even then it feels weird. Chicago still clings desperately to the "WELL ACTUALLY WE'RE NAMED FOR A WWI DIVISION" but that doesn't really square with the giant indian head logo.

How much opposition to the indian head logo is there though? I do not recall many native groups ever mentioning it much, as its not some caricature like chief wahoo or a straight up slur like the redskins. i lived in the chicago area for 3 years and don't remember it ever being in the news or anything.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I think the Blackhawks get a little bit more of a pass because Blackhawk isn't a slur, and the head they use isn't as offensive as, say, the Indians' logo.

e: Indians, not Braves. Oops.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

My rule on that stuff is i'll follow what a majority of the native population thinks. Like for wahoo and the redskins, its loving unanimous that they are bad, so we should listen to that. Same for various colleges and whatnot. Like how the Seminoles have the blessing of the tribe, so its all good.

Thats why im curious if any major groups have protested the indian head, since you can always find a couple people mad about anything, regardless of culture or whatever.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

My rule on that stuff is i'll follow what a majority of the native population thinks. Like for wahoo and the redskins, its loving unanimous that they are bad, so we should listen to that. Same for various colleges and whatnot. Like how the Seminoles have the blessing of the tribe, so its all good.

Thats why im curious if any major groups have protested the indian head, since you can always find a couple people mad about anything, regardless of culture or whatever.

Wahoos? As in University of Virginia?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Chief Wahoo. The mascot for the Cleveland Indians.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This Wikipedia summary seems to suggest that there was some outcry over it, but the team has been working with local American Indian groups to educate people on the history, and makes the same delineation between Chief Wahoo and the comparatively subdued Blackhawks logo.

It should be said, though, the the emblem of the division the team is named after is literally a black hawk, and has no native symbolism to speak of.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Wahoo

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/eATKFuA.gifv

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Chief Wahoo. The mascot for the Cleveland Indians.

Oh him. Yeah he's racist as poo poo.

She does a good job of breaking her fall with her face

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

http://i.imgur.com/7WDf1E8.mp4

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Has it been one year already?

Disappointing news from #QueensHomecoming. Our new horse, Murney, was slapped 3X tonight. No injuries. 2 men & 1 woman charged criminally. pic.twitter.com/AuGst7a80H

— Kingston Police (@kingstonpolice) October 16, 2016

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is slapping those horses some local tradition or something?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

moist turtleneck posted:

drat I guess I should have bought this when I had the chance

I'm a Chinee and I want one of those.

And a full sized copy of this, too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
A horse puncher so legendary they made an oil painting of him:
http://i.imgur.com/1NZf4UZ.mp4

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

I feel bad for this guy, cause he's an ESPN Deportes reporter which means he's definitely not used to giving these updates in English. And now he's getting roasted cause he's ESL

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dillbag posted:

I don't know why I laughed at this so hard but I did

I want one too now

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Dillbag posted:

That's pretty mean of him for making fun of her for eating a salad. :(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Stanford Rapist is in a criminal justice textbook now

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

a kitten posted:

Here's what the Little People Association of America has to say about it.

"LPA issues statement to abolish the "m" word
September 2015

Little People of America, the world’s oldest and largest dwarfism support organization and an international, membership-based organization for people with dwarfism and their families, advocates to abolish the use of the word “midget”. The word “midget” was never coined as the official term to identify people with dwarfism, but was created as a label used to refer to people of short stature who were on public display for curiosity and sport. Today, the word “midget” is considered a derogatory slur. The dwarfism community has voiced that they prefer to be referred to as dwarfs, little people, people of short stature or having dwarfism, or simply, and most preferably, by their given name."

lol

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

canyoneer posted:

Stanford Rapist is in a criminal justice textbook now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKE9W0O8bX8

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Man the Stanford Rape Experiment really got out of hand.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

bobjr posted:

There's a high school in Illinois who used to be called The Chinks, and after pressure had the students vote on changing the name, and twice it stayed. Eventually the school board changed it to the Dragons in the 80's, but apparently there's still people who want it changed back today.

my grandfather is a proud graduate of pekin high school and is still super mad about this 30 years later. and everyone within 150 miles of the university of illinois is mad that they won't let a dumb white boy dress up as "chief illiniwek" and dance during half time anymore. god bless central illinois.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My college's football team used to be called the Chieftains, and then they decided that maybe a social justice college shouldn't be openly racist as gently caress and so they're the Redhawks now. But considering it's in Washington, chances are they just mashed the Seahawks and Redskins names together, which is just lovely

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

SpacePig posted:

I think the Blackhawks get a little bit more of a pass because Blackhawk isn't a slur, and the head they use isn't as offensive as, say, the Indians' logo.

e: Indians, not Braves. Oops.

Chief Black Hawk was an actual person and historical figure from Illinois as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ijzer posted:

my grandfather is a proud graduate of pekin high school and is still super mad about this 30 years later. and everyone within 150 miles of the university of illinois is mad that they won't let a dumb white boy dress up as "chief illiniwek" and dance during half time anymore. god bless central illinois.

Lol. My dad's family is from Litchfield. I've never seen a higher cemetery-to-living-persons-building ratio in my whole life

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

My college's football team used to be called the Chieftains, and then they decided that maybe a social justice college shouldn't be openly racist as gently caress and so they're the Redhawks now. But considering it's in Washington, chances are they just mashed the Seahawks and Redskins names together, which is just lovely

But the Redskins are clear across the country, so that doesn't really track.

Did they change their mascot? Because that's usually where the most problemic poo poo happens. Turns out caricatures of other cultures are racist as gently caress, to the surprise of no one.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

But the Redskins are clear across the country, so that doesn't really track.

lol I'm loving stupid :shrek:

Proteus Jones posted:

Did they change their mascot? Because that's usually where the most problemic poo poo happens. Turns out caricatures of other cultures are racist as gently caress, to the surprise of no one.

Yes, the mascot used to be their rendition of a Native American chieftain to a giant red bird. So I guess I got nothing to complain about. That's a nice feeling

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

poly and open-minded posted:

especially when the Houston Texans exist too

The city voted for that name. That's the bit that gets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The city voted for that name. That's the bit that gets me.

Russian, or Coloradan, interference.