Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tir McDohl posted:

Ahhh I see. Lol if we get a government shutdown during midterms because of this

Mitch is a dumbass.

We're still getting the potential for a government shutdown in December. Mitch is bragging the potential economic shutdown is closer to the midterms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

More Details

quote:

The Supreme Court agreed with the Trump administration Tuesday and put on hold a lower court decision that would have allowed more refugees to enter the country.

The court issued a one-paragraph statement granting the administration's request for a stay of the latest legal maneuvering involving the president's executive order on immigration. There were no recorded dissents to the decision.

At issue is whether the president can block a group of about 24,000 refugees, who have assurances from sponsors, from entering the United States. A panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit had interpreted a Supreme Court directive this summer to mean that they should be allowed in, but the government objected.

It is part of a complicated legal battle that began last January when President Trump issued his first version of the ban. The Supreme Court is scheduled to consider the merits of his actions at a hearing Oct. 10.

The current case grows out of a Supreme Court decision last June that approved a limited version of a presidential order that temporarily blocked refugees and citizens of six majority-Muslim countries.

Related: [Supreme Court allows limited version of Trump’s travel ban to take effect and will consider case in fall]

The justices said Trump could impose a limited version of the measure, but not on those with a "bona fide" connection to the United States, such as having family members here, a job or a place in a U.S. university.

It is the interpretation of a "bona fide" connection to the United States that is being debated.

The government initially declined to include grandparents and other extended family members as meeting that standard, as well as refugees with formal assurances. A federal district judge said the government's reading was too broad, and stopped it.

The Supreme Court largely upheld that ruling in July, though it put on hold the portion dealing with refugees.

Related: [Supreme Court allows Trump refugee ban but backs broader exemptions for relatives]

Last week, a federal appeals court panel weighed in, deciding that the administration could block neither grandparents nor refugees with assurances.

The Justice Department this week asked the Supreme Court to step in again — though only to block refugees, not grandparents and other extended family members. Even those refugees with formal assurances from a resettlement agency lack the sort of connection that should exempt them from the ban, the Justice Department argued in its new filing to the Supreme Court.

"The absence of a formal connection between a resettlement agency and a refugee subject to an assurance stands in stark contrast to the sort of relationships this court identified as sufficient in its June 26 stay ruling," Acting Solicitor General Jeffrey B. Wall wrote in his filing.

"Unlike students who have been admitted to study at an American university, workers who have accepted jobs at an American company, and lecturers who come to speak to an American audience, refugees do not have any free-standing connection to resettlement agencies, separate and apart from the refugee-admissions process itself, by virtue of the agencies' assurance agreement with the government," the filing said.

In response, the state of Hawaii, which is challenging the travel ban, told the Supreme Court that the government's argument made no sense.

"Refugees with formal assurances are the category of foreign nationals least likely to implicate the national security rationales the government has pointed to in the past," wrote Washington lawyer Neal Katyal, who is representing Hawaii.

"By the government's own admission, these refugees have already been approved by the Department of Homeland Security. It is therefore exceedingly unlikely that they represent a security threat."

Time is beginning to become a factor in the broader fight over Trump's travel ban.

The measure was supposed to have been temporary — lasting 90 days for citizens of the six affected countries, and 120 days for refugees. If the measure is considered to have taken effect when the Supreme Court allowed partial implementation, the 90 days will have passed by the time the justices hear arguments Oct. 10, and the 120 days are very likely to have passed by the time they issue a decision.

Some deadlines for reports have also seemingly passed. The Department of Homeland Security secretary was — within 20 days of the order taking effect — to have given Trump the results of a worldwide review determining what information was necessary from other countries to vet travelers. The countries that weren't supplying adequate information were then to be given 50 days to begin doing so, and after that, top U.S. officials were to give Trump a list of countries recommended for inclusion in a more permanent travel ban.

A Homeland Security spokesman said a report was delivered to the White House in early July on the results of the review, and officials then went about assessing each country on the information it provided

He said Homeland Security officials were "evaluating the information received and will provide a report to the president in the coming weeks."

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

How high do we suppose the odds are that if something like this happened, someone related to someone in the administration would have stock in the background check company they invariably would source it to?

I'm thinking pretty loving high.

Welcome to the developing world. Please have your bribe ready and your mouth shut.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/thejusticedept/status/907736295224610816
https://twitter.com/lauraajarrett/status/907738324495998977
Well, how could they possibly have known that.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What does get taught in school about 9/11?

I know this was a post from a long-rear end time ago but as high school teacher who just went through this:

During announcements, a teenager read a list of things that happened on 9/11. I'm paraphrasing while recalling as much as I can.

'On September 11th, 2001, 19 men hijacked four planes. Three of the planes were flown into American buildings including the World Trade Center in New York City. Few who were alive that day can forget the terrible images that emerged from that event. The burning buildings. The firefighter emerging from dust carrying a lifeless child. (list of events) Please join me in a moment of silence for those who died that day.'

Several of the older faculty used the day to hold students as emotional hostages and retell stories about where they were on 9/11. A couple of staff have pretty harrowing stories including one staff member who was in New York when it happened, but most of the people telling stories had no real connection to the WTC aside from being born in the same country where it was built. Younger staff members then jumped on the emotional remembrance train by recalling how old they were when it happened and what they did in school that day.

Basically 9/11 is awful because it's a yearly exercise in having empathy for other people's grief while simultaneously screaming inside about how the whole thing has become an exercise in rehashing inane stories about staring at the TV all day.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Great how ignorance is a reasonable excuse when the government does it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm honestly surprised the DoJ even bothered to lie about an excuse instead of just laughing at the idea that they would ever prosecute a cop for murder.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Priapus Unbound posted:

Basically 9/11 is awful because it's a yearly exercise in having empathy for other people's grief while simultaneously screaming inside about how the whole thing has become an exercise in rehashing inane stories about staring at the TV all day.

Also now it's one of those 'where was I when JFK was shot' moments, except now we celebrate it every year. So that everyone can marinate in their grief and paranoia, and because it's a tragedy we have to pretend each person's tale has equal stakes even when half of them were 'I farted while watching the TV and a man fell' and all be so so sad for that sad sad tale.

I am always kind IRL but in my head I'm like SEE A THERAPIST FOR THIS poo poo, I AM, gently caress.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 13, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Did anyone post this yet? Heritage Foundation tried to persuade Sessions to make the voter fraud commission exclude Democrats.

http://gizmodo.com/jeff-sessions-was-lobbied-to-exclude-democrats-from-tru-1804006784

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hardcordion posted:

If what I hear about Japan's attitude toward foreigners is true, I hope it's an eye opening experience for him.

This was from a few pages ago, but don't the Japanese generally like White people? From what I've heard, it's just literally everyone else they hate.

Still, the fact that this guy was enough of a dick to dilute the Japanese gene pool says a lot about his principles.

And then he went to Mexico! :lol:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Welcome to the developing world. Please have your bribe ready and your mouth shut.

Or mouth open and bribe bigger :v:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Brought to you by the same gently caress sticks who will give you a ticket for not wearing a seat belt.

gently caress you Jeff sessions I hope to one day piss on your grave.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Priapus Unbound posted:

"The firefighter emerging from dust carrying a lifeless child."

Isn't that a reference to a photo from the Murrah Building bombing in Oklahoma?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Caros posted:

It is already signed law.

The bigger issue is why on earth McConnell thinks it is better for him to have the debt ceiling come up in the summer of 2018, months before an election? Because they are going to have to concede their loving arms to the democrats in the house if they don't want to have a debt ceiling collapse into an apocalyptic hellscape right before the election

The plan is for Ted Cruz to concede his arm, whereupon the wasps will swarm out and sting the Democratic Senators to death and only Cruz will be prosecuted

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Cross posting from Korea thread

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/907737901508820992

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/907738182191652864

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

I thought you had to take your victims as you found them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The military prepares and revises contingencies for wars with literally every nation on Earth on a regular basis. I would be concerned if they weren't revisiting their plans regarding North Korea considering the circumstances.

edit: oh christ I just realized this is a Willo post. Of course.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Caros posted:

It is already signed law.

The bigger issue is why on earth McConnell thinks it is better for him to have the debt ceiling come up in the summer of 2018, months before an election? Because they are going to have to concede their loving arms to the democrats in the house if they don't want to have a debt ceiling collapse into an apocalyptic hellscape right before the election

yeah i think it now lines up with the heat of primary season when they will have the hardest time getting republican votes and will have to beg and plead for democratic votes

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/907749295532724224

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The military prepares and revises contingencies for wars with literally every nation on Earth on a regular basis. I would be concerned if they weren't revisiting their plans regarding North Korea considering the circumstances.

edit: oh christ I just realized this is a Willo post. Of course.

the MILITARY does

conservative thinktanks do not game out wars all the time

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Wow who could ever wonder why PoC don't trust the police!?????????! loving baffling

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

That's kind of funny.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Everything else aside, maybe we shouldn't be using the same books we used to plan the Iraq War in the future. I mean, I guess the first few days went pretty well, so those can stay. But everything for handling the stuff after we toppled the regime should probably get chucked in the bin.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the MILITARY does

Looks to me like some "Team B" poo poo where someone in the admin doesn't like the answers they are getting and is seeking a think tank to tell them what they want to hear.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

my bony fealty posted:

Shooter was disgruntled ex-husband, way too boring and mundane for the news

A man, being a mass shooter? :monocle:

Sounds like a feminazi false flag.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

Wow who could ever wonder why PoC don't trust the police!?????????! loving baffling

They couldn't convict an officer who shot a PoC in the back and planted a weapon on him on video, so really there was no chance this case will get anywhere.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the MILITARY does

Depends on if you count RAND as a think tank :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Glumslinger posted:

Everything else aside, maybe we shouldn't be using the same books we used to plan the Iraq War in the future. I mean, I guess the first few days went pretty well, so those can stay. But everything for handling the stuff after we toppled the regime should probably get chucked in the bin.

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/907750916924887040

here is the rest. the only "good" thing is there isnt a sectarian rift/conflict waiting to blow that the kims are keeping a tight lid on like Saddam was. thats the only "positive" difference i can think of.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Priapus Unbound posted:

I know this was a post from a long-rear end time ago but as high school teacher who just went through this:

During announcements, a teenager read a list of things that happened on 9/11. I'm paraphrasing while recalling as much as I can.

'On September 11th, 2001, 19 men hijacked four planes. Three of the planes were flown into American buildings including the World Trade Center in New York City. Few who were alive that day can forget the terrible images that emerged from that event. The burning buildings. The firefighter emerging from dust carrying a lifeless child. (list of events) Please join me in a moment of silence for those who died that day.'

Several of the older faculty used the day to hold students as emotional hostages and retell stories about where they were on 9/11. A couple of staff have pretty harrowing stories including one staff member who was in New York when it happened, but most of the people telling stories had no real connection to the WTC aside from being born in the same country where it was built. Younger staff members then jumped on the emotional remembrance train by recalling how old they were when it happened and what they did in school that day.

A teacher got me to tell 'my story' in front of a 7th grade class because I was walking by but my story is that I watched weekend at bernies 2 during the event and didn't know it happened till later so suck it teachers trying to ask nearby adults for their 9/11 story.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mr Interweb posted:

This was from a few pages ago, but don't the Japanese generally like White people? From what I've heard, it's just literally everyone else they hate.

Still, the fact that this guy was enough of a dick to dilute the Japanese gene pool says a lot about his principles.

And then he went to Mexico! :lol:

Japan is totally nice to people visiting including white people. Extremely so.

You will simply never, ever be a citizen. Even if your family lives there for generations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Priapus Unbound posted:

I'm a high school teacher. We were expected to talk about it during our home room class. I asked the kids why they think it happened and I no poo poo got the "they hate our freedom!" answer.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Hahaha..McDonnell is done with this poo poo. I'm actually kind of impressed that the most blow back against Trump is now coming from inside his party.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/907748599727091717

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A teacher got me to tell 'my story' in front of a 7th grade class because I was walking by but my story is that I watched weekend at bernies 2 during the event and didn't know it happened till later so suck it teachers trying to ask nearby adults for their 9/11 story.

You should tell the hosts of the Chapo Trap House podcast. One of them was watching that same airing of that movie at the time and was sure he was the only one up that early to watch it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xae posted:

Looks to me like some "Team B" poo poo where someone in the admin doesn't like the answers they are getting and is seeking a think tank to tell them what they want to hear.

yeah and that's worrying

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Xae posted:

Gee where have I heard this before

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So either they're contributing to that 91% or they've just admitted how little content they actually contribute to the news cycle.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/907247161191972864

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

At least watching the towers fall wasn't the worst thing you saw that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hastings posted:

Hahaha..McDonnell is done with this poo poo. I'm actually kind of impressed that the most blow back against Trump is now coming from inside his party.

Mitch McConnell surprised to learn bones dissolving after jumping in pool of hydrofluoric acid.

• Locked thread