Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It continually blows my mind that people would see this and think 'the news is unfair' rather than 'the president is a complete piece of poo poo'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

evilweasel posted:

yeah and that's worrying

That's just great. One more reason to be scarred for the South Korean and Japanese population

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Looks like the concept of bad labels in political comics transcend nations. :unsmith:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Willo567 posted:

That's just great. One more reason to be scarred for the South Korean and Japanese population

Do you do literally anything else aside from worry about NK?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Looks like the concept of bad labels in political comics transcend nations. :unsmith:

Wouldn't that be more accurate if Trump was dumping the dreamers over the border wall? Trump doesn't seem to be the "I want to break down walls" type.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

The Glumslinger posted:

Everything else aside, maybe we shouldn't be using the same books we used to plan the Iraq War in the future. I mean, I guess the first few days went pretty well, so those can stay. But everything for handling the stuff after we toppled the regime should probably get chucked in the bin.

hahaha that anyone thinks there was a plan to deal with Iraq after they defeated the Iraqi army. hahahahahahahahahahahaha

if this news about North Korea is true, we have the potential to witness the highest rates of civilian death in as small a time frame imaginable since the firebombings of WWII. That's even if no nukes are involved. NK will spite-shell the living poo poo out of Seoul and probably at least attempt to nuke the US bases in Korea and Japan, Guam, Hawai'i and conceivably the west coast.

Their soldiers will fight hard, too. And that's not even knowing what they have been doing under the DMZ since the 1950s

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

lmao she even has dreamer written on her shirt, what the gently caress is wrong with the brains of political cartoonists honestly

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/9/12/16296532/hillary-clinton-universal-basic-income-alaska-for-america-peter-barnes

quote:

Hillary Clinton almost ran for president on a universal basic income

In perhaps the single most astounding passage of her campaign memoir What Happened, Hillary Clinton reveals a campaign proposal she formulated with staffers but never actually released: a universal basic income for Americans, funded by carbon and financial transaction taxes.

"I wanted very much to convey a commitment to trying to figure ways to raise incomes," she said in an interview with Vox's Ezra Klein. "The Alaska model where they write a check to every single Alaskan every year based on a formula about the oil and gas revenues was really intriguing to me.”

Here’s the relevant passage of the book, on page 239:

Before I ran for President, I read a book called With Liberty and Dividends for All: How to Save Our Middle Class When Jobs Don’t Pay Enough, by Peter Barnes, which explored the idea of creating a new fund that would use revenue from shared national resources to pay a dividend to every citizen, much like how the Alaska Permanent Fund distributes the state’s oil royalties every year. Shared national resources include oil and gas extracted from public lands and the public airwaves used by broadcasters and mobile phone companies, but that gets you only so far. If you view the nation’s financial system as a shared resource, then you can start raising real money from things like a financial transactions tax. Same with the air we breathe and carbon pricing.

Once you capitalize the fund, you can provide every American with a modest basic income every year [emphasis Vox’s]. Besides cash in people’s pockets, it would also be a way of making every American feel more connected to our country and to one another—part of something bigger than ourselves. I was fascinated by this idea, as was my husband, and we spent weeks working with our policy team to see if it could be viable enough to include in my campaign. We would call it “Alaska for America.” Unfortunately, we couldn’t make the numbers work. To provide a meaningful dividend each year to every citizen, you’d have to raise enormous sums of money, and that would either mean a lot of new taxes or cannibalizing other important programs. We decided it was exciting but not realistic, and left it on the shelf. That was the responsible decision. I wonder now whether we should have thrown caution to the wind and embraced “Alaska for America” as a long-term goal and figured out the details later.

So why didn’t it happen? From Clinton's telling, the proposal was abandoned due to one of the recurring sticking points with basic income plans: They cost a lot of money. Clinton wanted to provide a "meaningful" dividend, and didn't think she could do it with a realistic set of new taxes.

"We dug deep, tried to explain it to some people, and it just was hard for people to grasp what we were talking about because most Americans in the Lower 48 didn’t have any idea about what was going on in Alaska," she elaborated.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do you do literally anything else aside from worry about NK?

Willo's been given poo poo for this before - hell I was one of the poo poo-givers myself - but a think tank trying to dictate aggressive foreign policy against a nuclear-armed state seems sufficient reason to literally, without exaggeration, burn down their properties and bury the rubble.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Office Pig posted:

Willo's been given poo poo for this before - hell I was one of the poo poo-givers myself - but a think tank trying to dictate aggressive foreign policy against a nuclear-armed state seems sufficient reason to literally, without exaggeration, burn down their properties and bury the rubble.

Do think tanks have a lot of power?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

americans have a gross streak of anti-intellectualism and proud ignorance. they call it "common sense" and it's used to justify everything from playing chicken with the debt ceiling ("this isn't how household budgets work!") to refusing same sex marriage to thinking universities are breeders of sedition to screaming about how anyone who thinks the civil war was about slavery needs to learn the real, true history

it's just simple mass delusion really

Sagan's 'demon haunted world' should be required reading in high school, regarding logic vs 'common sense.' A sort-of bright young adult could understand it easily. But we have to teach the controversy. Intelligent design, the liberal hoax of global warming, vouchers so federal funds can be used in singularly religious schools.

In addidion to the ever-sweeping arm of FOX news constantly reminding Christians that their very faith is under assault, stuff like Our kids: The American Dream in Crisis. is telling people that religious studies improve the quality of education.

quote:

Compared to their unchurched (lol) peers, youth who are involved in a religious organization take tougher courses, get higher grades and test scores, and are less likely to drop out of high school.

Okay I'll stop gettin' mad at the hallowed. :saddowns:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 13, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

stdh.txt

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Think tanks are a tool politicians use to help craft and advocate policy and make to it more palatable to the public.

ie- if I am a politician that wants to sell a war with NK I would hire a think tank to consult and help me do that

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Here have a comprehensive video about Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH_ihozcg7o

quote:

The outlines of the case that Robert Mueller must be building can now be glimpsed.

Awesome if True.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Willo567 posted:

Think tanks are your own personal policy generator machines. They provide real or fake research to support your positions. This is why all the way back in the 80's, Republicans began establishing their own think tanks to churn out horseshit research to support free markets and other trash ideology. Much like Prager "University", they're there to assume the outer mantle of respectability and education but really just provide cover for whatever position they were going to support in the first place. Arguably, all think tanks are biased to some extent, but they've essentially morphed from "let's have experts do some research in this area of policy" to "the Heritage Institute is our very own propaganda arm".

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 13, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/POLITICO_Steve/status/907766229577998337

see if you can spot the three different points in which manchin says "lol there's no chance in hell im voting for this"

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Think tanks are your own personal policy generator machines. They provide real or fake research to support your positions. This is why all the way back in the 80's, Republicans began establishing their own think tanks to churn out horseshit research to support free markets and other trash ideology. Much like Prager "University", they're there to assume the outer mantle of respectability and education but really just provide cover for whatever position they were going to support in the first place. Arguably, all think tanks are biased to some extent, but they've essentially morphed from "let's have experts do some research in this area of policy" to "the Heritage Institute is our very own propaganda arm".

As a different example, ALEC has also demonstrated their ability to create Boilerplate Model Legislation that is easy enough even a teapartier can modify it for use in their state or city.

digression: in addition to Dem failures, this was one of the three key prongs of the GOP taking over statehouses after 2008. Providing a war chest for local races, recruiting candidates (made easier by the funds), and providing them the mostly prewritten bills to pass with their newfound majority. It'd be a real help for the Dems if this progressive momentum was funneled towards doing these things. Justice Dems or Campaign Zero teaming with former legislative staffers and academics to provide model legislation for their platform planks would go a long way towards getting those implemented-even if the candidates are funded by corporate Dems and police unions- while lowering the influence of fuckwits like Friedman.

Most military thinktanks I've seen are focused on pushing research to justify intervention/isolation in specific instances or advocating for specific equipment. Counterinsurgency tactics seems like a novel use, but such activity will probably become more common as Trump continues to hollow out government institutions.

evilweasel posted:

see if you can spot the three different points in which manchin says "lol there's no chance in hell im voting for this"
He needs to be primaried for expressing a desire to lower taxes and being concerned about the debt! :jerkbag:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Boom

https://twitter.com/TheDLCC/status/907765116153856000

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

we're not allowed good things in this thread, please remove

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wait that was redpill guy's seat?

lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That's always good.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Proud of home tonight, gently caress that guy

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheDLCC/status/907775331871977472

Busy night

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

A lovely Reporter posted:

You should tell the hosts of the Chapo Trap House podcast. One of them was watching that same airing of that movie at the time and was sure he was the only one up that early to watch it.

HOLY CRAP! got a linK! I've been searching for someone else!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Light the mcmagic signal.

Done!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

John Smith posted:

Majority of American people elected Trump, so 91% of media coverage is against majority of Americans 🇺🇸MAGA without the media!

Ok John uh, John Smith. Nice name you got there. Very real.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

See, that's the thing. Democrats lost many or all of the high profile races, like Ossoff's back in June (?), but they seem to be quietly gaining seats where they weren't competitive just an election or two ago. That to me is a very good sign for their chances. The GOP is definitely vulnerable.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/907776928513323008

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's very easy to be for this now apparently.

Gorsuch is doing his job.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I forgot. Did any Democrats vote for Gorsuch?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AmyMek/status/907777264468811782

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

I knew those 'silent majority' avatars were harbingers of M*slim corruption! LOL I just realized the descriptor is marred with an asterisk, but still capitalized.

:confused:

e- . Stoking that fire is the last thing anyone needs right now.
How does a Persian girl get her hair up that high? <--- Pressing question.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 13, 2017

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Oklahoma Democratic Party got another win tonight as well. Gives them 28 seats in all thanks to the other two wins earlier this year.

http://newsok.com/democrats-win-special-election-in-norman/article/5563866

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

See, that's the thing. Democrats lost many or all of the high profile races, like Ossoff's back in June (?), but they seem to be quietly gaining seats where they weren't competitive just an election or two ago. That to me is a very good sign for their chances. The GOP is definitely vulnerable.

They certainly are vulnerable, and I'm very happy to see this seat flip. But a lot of the disappointment with Democratic performance over the past several months lies in their way that the DCCC allocated its resources and energy between races. Candidates like Thompson in Kansas and Quist in Montana had good chances of winning, and it's a shame that the DCCC chose not to give them the support they needed, opting to put all their chips on Ossof instead. So I'm not 100% confident that they're going to be able to take advantage of the opportunities that are opening up in front of them, as the Trump-GOP coalition disintegrates before our eyes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

I forgot. Did any Democrats vote for Gorsuch?

Not a one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I'm sure Feinstein was moderately tempted.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Majorian posted:

They certainly are vulnerable, and I'm very happy to see this seat flip. But a lot of the disappointment with Democratic performance over the past several months lies in their way that the DCCC allocated its resources and energy between races. Candidates like Thompson in Kansas and Quist in Montana had good chances of winning, and it's a shame that the DCCC chose not to give them the support they needed, opting to put all their chips on Ossof instead. So I'm not 100% confident that they're going to be able to take advantage of the opportunities that are opening up in front of them, as the Chimp-GOP coalition disintegrates before our eyes.

Well..never underestimate the Dems' ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, of course. They tend to be so obsessed with being the "good guys" and trying to be honorable that they fall for Republican bad faith efforts nearly every time. I am encouraged by Pelosi outmaneuvering Trump, though.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Good. I thought so, but was worried I wasn't angry enough about this loving farce supreme court

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

in addition to Dem failures, this was one of the three key prongs of the GOP taking over statehouses after 2008. Providing a war chest for local races, recruiting candidates (made easier by the funds), and providing them the mostly prewritten bills to pass with their newfound majority. It'd be a real help for the Dems if this progressive momentum was funneled towards doing these things. Justice Dems or Campaign Zero teaming with former legislative staffers and academics to provide model legislation for their platform planks would go a long way towards getting those implemented-even if the candidates are funded by corporate Dems and police unions- while lowering the influence of fuckwits like Friedman

Your digression is actually the meat of this drat post and is very sound advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tir McDohl posted:

Good. I thought so, but was worried I wasn't angry enough about this loving farce supreme court

There is no level of anger that is unwarranted about what happened with the SCOTUS.

• Locked thread