Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Wow, that was quick.

Let's not join the circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Let's eat the peanut butter.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Go to the wrong bakery.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Let's go see Maddy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man compared to either path in Werewolf Woods we blazed through that route

Before we go on a magical peanut butter journey though let's see what's up with Maddy

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Fail to lift the elephant.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Man compared to either path in Werewolf Woods we blazed through that route

Before we go on a magical peanut butter journey though let's see what's up with Maddy

This one maybe makes a little too much sense. It's a difficult line to walk.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Android Blues posted:

This one maybe makes a little too much sense. It's a difficult line to walk.

If it makes you feel any better, the next book is going to be the hardest one we've done yet, so you have that to look forward to.

quote:

You run along the highway median, headed for Maddy's Bakery. On either side, you hear the crashing of cars as drivers gawk at you. At last you see a big green highway sign: ELMVILLE, 23 MILES.

Twenty-three miles is no problem for you. It shouldn't take more than ten minutes or so.

With police and army cars speeding after you, you follow the highway. At last you see a sign for Elmville. By now the helicopters have caught up to you again. You wave your arms at them, swatting them away as if they were mosquitoes. If only they would leave you alone!

You turn toward the town, and quickly scan its tiny buildings till at last you find one that says "Maddy's Bakery."

Maddy's is a tiny brick building with a brown shingled roof. You kneel in the parking lot, and bend your head so you can see the bakery more clearly.

But what you see causes your heart to sink into your toes.

quote:

Nailed on the door of Maddy's Bakery is a big sign that says OUT OF BUSINESS.

Sadly, you stand up. Maddy's was your only hope.

Now you notice that the noise around you has grown louder. Much louder. You glance around in horror.

In front of you are a dozen police cars.

Behind you are three tanks and an armored personnel carrier from the National Guard.

Behind them is a big red van you've never seen before. On its side is painted ALIEN RESEARCH INSTITUTE.

Overhead small planes and helicopters buzz.

You hear a loud SQUAWK! and then a loudspeaker comes on.

"We've got you surrounded, alien!" a hollow voice cries.

"I'm not an alien!" you cry. "I'm a human kid!"

Now the red van opens. A skinny man with thick glasses steps out. "I'm Dr. Harlan from the Alien Research Institute," he shouts through a megaphone. "I'm here to take you to our museum for study."

"I don't want to be studied!" you reply.

"Too bad," he says. "You'll never get away. Surrender now - or we'll be forced to capture you!"

Will you give up? Surrender on PAGE 42.

Or try to get away on PAGE 123.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Returned to normal size just in time to get beaten up by Barney.
Returned to normal size while surrounded by tigers.
Drank a potion that turned us into a life-size gingerbread cookie.

Achievements
Fails from the Crypt: Encountered a total of 50 bad endings.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

In the words of a great hero to our species

Never give up. Never surrender.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
gently caress the police

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

So by hard do we mean like Lone Wolf hard or do we mean like Night in Werewolf Woods 'hard'

fight the man

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

This is hard, just give up.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Step on the museum guy

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Let’s just give up.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

NO QUARTER!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Leraika posted:

So by hard do we mean like Lone Wolf hard or do we mean like Night in Werewolf Woods 'hard'

You know how every book thus far has had at least some extra "good" endings besides the goal endings for each path? The next book has exactly one, and it comes almost at the end of a particular path. Aside from that, failing to pick the right option at any time leads to either instant death or a choice between two different kinds of instant death.

quote:

"I'll never surrender!" you reply. You turn to run.

"Capture the alien!" Dr. Harlan shouts. "Don't let it get away!"

You wish! you think. How can they catch you? You're twenty times as big as any of them.

But on the other hand, where can you go?

Do you really want to spend the rest of your life trying to escape? Maybe if you talk to Dr. Harlan, you can convince him you're not an alien. Maybe he can use his scientific knowledge to return you to your normal size.

You stop running and turn back. Dr. Harlan's red van is heading right for you.

"I want to talk," you announce.

The van stops. Dr. Harlan steps out. "I'm listening!" he calls. "You have thirty seconds to explain yourself."

You think carefully. Whatever you say next could affect your whole future. But before you can begin, you suddenly feel very strange. You're dizzy, and your mouth has become dry. Painfully dry.

What's going on?

quote:

You feel stranger and stranger.

"Speak, alien!" Dr. Harlan cries.

But your mouth won't move. You glance down at Dr. Harlan and watch as he begins to grow.

He grows bigger and bigger, faster and faster. The bakery and trees are also shooting up. Just watching them makes you even dizzier.

All at once you realize that they are not growing - instead, you are shrinking! You're finally returning to your normal size! Whatever caused you to grow is wearing off!

In less than a minute you're standing next to Dr. Harlan's red ban. All around you people are running and shouting. You can still hear the squeal of sirens. Dr. Harlan is speechless. He seems frozen in shock.

Trying to appear casual, you stroll through the crowd.

"Hey, kid!" a policeman warns. "You'd better get out of here. There's a mutant alien on the loose."

"Really?" you reply innocently. Then you shrug. "Somehow that doesn't seem like such a big deal."

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
:siren:It Went Thadda-Way: Randomly returned to normal size just in time to escape the military.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Eat the purple peanut butter.
  • Avoid Barney at the baseball game.
  • Run from the police.
  • Don't join the circus.
  • Fail to lift Dodo.
  • Surrender to the police.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Rebonack7 posted:

You know how every book thus far has had at least some extra "good" endings besides the goal endings for each path? The next book has exactly one, and it comes almost at the end of a particular path. Aside from that, failing to pick the right option at any time leads to either instant death or a choice between two different kinds of instant death.

:getin:

Surrender to the police, I guess

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

What makes that not a goal ending as compared to the bakery one? Is it because the size just randomly wore off instead of us fixing it?

Surrender to police

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I surrender, suckers!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I surrender!" you say to Dr. Harlan.

But you're so big that your voice sounds like the rumbling of thunder. No one can understand you.

"Surrender or we'll capture you!" Dr. Harlan repeats. "One - "

"I surrender!" you repeat.

"Two!"

How can you make him understand that you're giving up? In desperation, you raise your hands high in the air.

Unfortunately, a helicopter was buzzing above you at just that moment. Your hand brushes against it, and the small chopper falls to the ground.

"It's attacking!" the scientist screams.

"Wait!" you cry. "It was an accident!" Your voice is so loud that the windows in all the police cars shatter.

"Hit the ground!" Dr. Harlan ducks under the van. "It's after us all!"

"No!" you cry. You get down on your knees and try whispering. "You don't understand!" you say. The breath from your whisper blows over a tank.

"Go to Plan B!" Dr. Harlan cries. What's Plan B? you wonder.

quote:

Plan B begins. The police cars and tanks suddenly back away. The roof of the red van peels back. Some sort of bizarre weapon pokes out from its roof.

"This is your last chance, alien!" Dr. Harlan shouts. "Will you give up peacefully?"

"I'm not an alien!" you explain. "I'm a kid!"

"Your time is up!" Dr. Harlan shouts. "Activate the web gun."

They're going to shoot you! Help! You turn to run.

BOOM!

Something heavy falls over your head. You try to pull it off, but thick strands pin your hands to your sides. The more you struggle, the tighter the strands wind around you.

In horror, you realize that the gun shot a big net all around you. Now the strands wind around your feet. You feel yourself start to topple to the ground.

"Congratulations, alien!" Dr. Harlan's voice cries. "You're the first creature to be captured by our artificial spiderweb!"

Somehow, you don't feel honored.

Oh, well. That's what happens when you become too wrapped up in adventure.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Captured by the government for study.:siren:

Achievements
It Went Thadda-Way: Randomly returned to normal size just in time to escape the military.

Our options posted:

• Run from the police.
  • Don't join the circus.
  • Fail to lift Dodo.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Don't lift Dodo!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

the agents from the vague yet menacing government agency are gonna feel real dumb when the growth thing wears off randomly like it has been in most other paths and their containment cell has a regular-rear end kid in it

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You just aren't strong enough to lift the elephant.

You struggle and strain and huff and puff, but it's no use. The audience boos and the clowns throw water balloons at you. Even the elephant looks disgusted. You are chased out of the ring by a bunch of clowns driving a tiny car and throwing confetti.

But don't be too upset.

You still wind up working with your new friend, the elephant. In fact, you are put in charge of one of the most important jobs at the circus. You are responsible for keeping the circus environment clean.

That's right! You and your shovel have come to the tail end of this tale.

No one ever said all of show business was glamorous. And you've made it into the Big Time in the Big Top!

So, you are now spending a lot of time at the elephant's

BACK END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Captured by the government for study.
:siren:Got stuck cleaning up animal poop at the circus.:siren:

Achievements
It Went Thadda-Way: Randomly returned to normal size just in time to escape the military.

Our options posted:

• Run from the police.
  • Don't join the circus.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

"Cheese it, wise guys, it's the fuzz!"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

quote:

You are chased out of the ring by a bunch of clowns driving a tiny car and throwing confetti.

Perfection.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

y'know what, gently caress the circus

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I think it is time we ate the purple peanut butter. It'll probably shrink us instead of grow us, I guess?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captainicus posted:

I think it is time we ate the purple peanut butter. It'll probably shrink us instead of grow us, I guess?

Agreed. I feel like that great circus ending is the best send-off for the cake route.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captainicus posted:

This sounds like a good idea.

We got a job as a circus janitor. No point in dreaming any bigger. The life of Riley has been achieved.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Cautiously, you stick a fingertip into the purple goop. It feels soft and gooey, like peanut butter.

You stick out your tongue and take a teeny tiny taste.

Awesome flavor! It's purple and it's slimy, but this weird peanut-buttery goo tastes like a combination of every delicious dessert you've ever had in your life.

You lick the rest of the purple goop off your finger, then you stick your finger back in the jar. You can't believe how yummy it tastes. You wish the whole jar were full of the purple paste.

Unfortunately, there wasn't very much, and soon the jar is empty.

But you're not hungry anymore. In fact, you feel great!

You shut the refrigerator door and flop back down on the armchair.

A moment later you hear a loud thump at the top of the stairs. You glance up. Your heart sinks when you see what's there.

quote:

It's your cousin Dora - smirking at you from the top of the stairs.

"You're not supposed to be down here," she whines. "I'm going to tell!"

"Wait!" you cry. "It was an accident! I came in here by mistake!"

"Yeah, sure," she taunts. "But maybe I won't tell - if you play with me."

"Maybe," you say cautiously.

"Let's play dolls," she urges. "I have a new dollhouse."

You hate playing with Dora. She's really spoiled and has a tantrum if she doesn't get her way.

"I'll tell if you don't," Dora persists.

What are you going to do?

If you refuse to budge, turn to PAGE 22.

If you give in and play with Dora, turn to PAGE 35.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Got stuck cleaning up animal poop at the circus.

Achievements

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Dora makes quite the compelling argument here.

But, I refuse!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Daga kotowaru (I refuse)

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, let's refuse. That way, if the peanut butter goop does shrink us, Dora can't stick us in her dollhouse. Because you know she would.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

DeTosh posted:

Yeah, let's refuse. That way, if the peanut butter goop does shrink us, Dora can't stick us in her dollhouse. Because you know she would.

Uh, that's the best argument you could've made to go play with dolls.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Go play with the dolls! (with apologies to nine-gear crow)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like Dora is more redeemable than Barney, let's try to appease her and play with the dolls.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Refuse.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

No way are you going to play with bratty Dora and her dumb dolls. You cross your arms over your chest and glare at your cousin.

"Go ahead and tell," you taunt. "I don't care."

"You're going to be sorry!" Dora sneers at you. Then she disappears. You can hear her calling Barney.

Oh great, you think. I'm going to get pounded.

You can hear footsteps approaching. Your eyes dart around for a place to hide. You fling open the refrigerator and climb inside. The door swings shut behind you.

"No one's down here," Barney growls.

"But Barney, I tell you - " From your cramped hiding place, you can tell Dora is bewildered. You hear them clamber back upstairs.

Fooled you! you gloat.

But the joke's on you. When you try to open the door, it won't budge! You throw all of your weight against it. Nothing! You realize you are stuck inside the refrigerator. And you are running out of air.

Frantically, you pound and shout. No one hears you. It will be hours before Uncle Harvey and Aunt Fiona come home from work. Barney and Dora are probably playing outside.

As you gasp your final breath you realize that even playing with Dora would have been better than this terrible

END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Got stuck cleaning up animal poop at the circus.
:siren:Suffocated to death inside a refrigerator.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Run from the police.
  • Don't join the circus.
  • Agree to play with Dora.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think this is the first ending in this book where we actually, explicitly died, and it's a really grisly mundane death with no supernatural involvement too. Like nothing magic even happened to us, we just hid from our annoying cousin in a refrigerator and suffocated to death. Troublingly believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Way to go, Indy.

Now let's play with the slightly less stupid cousin and her stupid dolls.