Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Gum posted:

What's the difference between a mass murderer and a spree killer or is spree killer not an official thing?

According to Wikipedia: Serial killing is not the same as mass murdering (killing numerous people in a given incident); nor is it spree killing (in which murders are committed in two or more locations, in a short time). However, cases of extended bouts of sequential killings over periods of weeks or months with no apparent "cooling off period" or "return to normalcy" have caused some experts to suggest a hybrid category of "spree-serial killer".

:doh: What a horrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's the "cooling off" part that matters to the definition of a serial killer, though it's obviously subjective as to what constitutes "cooling off".

The general idea is that they're able to maintain some mask of normalcy between murders, whereas a spree killer goes on their spree until being caught or killed. Obviously, there's a few where the line is, at best, notional but it fits the vast majority.

Also the definition requires that there are three separate killings, and so there's a few people who are in jail for killing 1 or 2 people who just about anyone would look at and say, yep they're a serial killer because they're the movie image of one: sane to friends and family, hold down a job, have a family, but also stalked and murdered someone in cold blood who don't meet the technical definition. I remember one episode of, I think, Forensic Files, where one of the cops said something like "I have no doubt that if we hadn't caught him, he would have killed again and again, only we caught him on his first murder, so I think we put away a serial killer" or something to that effect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gum posted:

What's the difference between a mass murderer and a spree killer or is spree killer not an official thing?

Mass Murderer would be like Timothy McVeigh or someone marching into a post office and shooting things up.

Spree killers would be like Natural Born Killers or someone taking an afternoon to drive around town and shoot up places.

According to the FBI the difference between a spree killer and a serial killer is the lack of cooling off time (after crossing that multiple victims and different locations threshold for both).

E: gently caress, need to refresh before replying.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Proteus Jones posted:

Mass Murderer would be like Timothy McVeigh or someone marching into a post office and shooting things up.

Spree killers would be like Natural Born Killers or someone taking an afternoon to drive around town and shoot up places.

According to the FBI the difference between a spree killer and a serial killer is the lack of cooling off time (after crossing that multiple victims and different locations threshold for both).

E: gently caress, need to refresh before replying.

Actually most postal shootings wouldn't count because they were rarely if ever random acts of violence. They we're usually retaliation against management after being singled out for abuse over a long period of time

Which makes news coverage of them kinda funny because the early ones have a lot of co-workers going "well I'm not saying he had it coming but nobody is too upset that John get his head ventilated because he was a prick who treated Dave like poo poo"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

What is a fairly interesting case about what happens when a suspect in several armed robberies has his DNA placed into the system and they find out he's actually been up to much worse, is made infinitely better by the guy who wrote this article.

Is there a link to the article?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Sarcopenia posted:

“We can't stop here, this is croc' country!”

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/mad-dogs-lawyers-20020228
The dog mauling of Diane Whipple. Aryan Brotherhood, (maybe)bestiality, incompetent lawyers, police brutality, weird victim blaming. It's a wild and sad ride.
This is my favorite part
Stop making my dog gay! :mad:

That story always scared the poo poo out of me. The whole thing is a hosed up horror show where pretty much everyone is a piece of poo poo. Being mauled to death by a dog has to be one of the most terrifying ways to die. I was attacked by a neighbor's pit bull when I was a kid. Still got some nasty scars to prove it. Even now I don't like dogs and I sure as hell don't trust them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Actually most postal shootings wouldn't count because they were rarely if ever random acts of violence. They we're usually retaliation against management after being singled out for abuse over a long period of time

Which makes news coverage of them kinda funny because the early ones have a lot of co-workers going "well I'm not saying he had it coming but nobody is too upset that John get his head ventilated because he was a prick who treated Dave like poo poo"

When is Mass Murder considered "random"? Timothy McVeigh's Oklahoma City bombing was certainly meticulously planned and targeted and one of (if not *the*) largest Mass Murder in the US.

In fact I'd argue that even spree killing doesn't necessarily need to be random. It can still be targeted in some sense. For instance Ben Smith, while shooting random individuals, was definitely targeting non-whites during his 2 day spree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Nathaniel_Smith

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Proteus Jones posted:

When is Mass Murder considered "random"? Timothy McVeigh's Oklahoma City bombing was certainly meticulously planned and targeted and one of (if not *the*) largest Mass Murder in the US.

In fact I'd argue that even spree killing doesn't necessarily need to be random. It can still be targeted in some sense. For instance Ben Smith, while shooting random individuals, was definitely targeting non-whites during his 2 day spree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Nathaniel_Smith

Let me rephrase: they generally targeted a few specific people and are closer to the definition of a multiple murder than a spree killing

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Jedit posted:

Probably this: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/rotten-to-the-core-and-now-rotting-in-jail-20120302-1u82b.html

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Let me rephrase: they generally targeted a few specific people and are closer to the definition of a multiple murder than a spree killing

Oh, I think you misread. I wasn't saying postal killings were an example of spree killing. I said they are an example of what people mean by mass murders.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel like it's weird calling Ted K and McVeigh "spree killers" or "serial killers", otherwise I guess Osama Bin Laden is a serial killer. Nobody calls him that. They're all terrorists. Were McVeigh or Ted K any more insane than the member of say, the Islamic Caliphate who wholeheartedly believes in their ideology and prophecies?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fine, spree-ideologues.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

It may also be due to the fact that he has gangrene of the soul and is nothing but a sackful of human offal. He is rotting from the inside and it shows.

There are criminals who are charismatic, funny, interesting and, quite often, tragic. Debs is none of these things. He is simply evil. Bad to the bone. An oxygen burner who three courts in two states have decided must be segregated from the rest of us - forever.

Wow. Is this the Daily Mail of Australia or something?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
all our newspapers are lovely tabloids at this point, the guardian and the abc are okay online news sources though

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Proteus Jones posted:

I always loved that part in Natural Born Killers when Wayne Gale says to Mickey Knox something along the lines of him being one of the world's most notorious serial killers, and Mickey Knox replies "Mass murderer, technically."
It's just a perfect example of someone who likes to think he's smarter and better than the rest of humanity not actually knowing what the hell he's talking about.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Sarcopenia posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/mad-dogs-lawyers-20020228
The dog mauling of Diane Whipple. Aryan Brotherhood, (maybe)bestiality, incompetent lawyers, police brutality, weird victim blaming. It's a wild and sad ride.
This is my favorite part
Stop making my dog gay! :mad:

This is all so loving harrowing and disgusting.

It's no "cut into his dick to get the ejac out" and it's definitely no "a serial killer is X because X," but it's still particularly unnerving. Good share.

e:
And while I really do find almost every goddamn bit of this deeply bothering--from the sexual and physical abuse of animals and children to the violence and abuses within the penal system--something about this whole episode strikes me as totally batshit in a way I never could have dreamed of:

quote:

Schneider thrived in the brutal prison environment, pitting his will against the authorities' every chance he had. In 1990, when he was brought into a courthouse under heavy guard to testify in a case involving another inmate, Schneider pulled a knife he had fashioned from a prison soup ladle and stabbed a defense attorney several times. Like a magician guarding the secret behind a trick, Schneider has never revealed how he smuggled the weapon into the courtroom, though his victim's wounds contained unmistakable clues: They were infected with fecal matter.

After the incident, Schneider penned a declaration explaining why he'd attacked the attorney. The assault stemmed from his desire to humiliate a warden at New Folsom State Prison. "I took [associate warden] Campbell's boasting of his new vaunted security procedures as a challenge,'' he wrote. As for why he chose his victim, he wrote, "I didn't like his attitude, his smart-aleck remarks, nor his demeanor. So, I stabbed him. In retrospect, it was a bad idea.''

Schneider picked up a life sentence. Displaying an uncanny ability to harass the system even in defeat, he successfully sued the prison administration for excessively X-raying him every time he was transported before and after the soup-ladle-knife smuggling episode and collected $11,666.66.

Whaaaaaaaaat the gently caress. It'd almost be bad rear end if it weren't so criminally bonkers. I guess it could still be both, but I refuse to like this dude.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Sep 13, 2017

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Jedit posted:

Derp. :doh:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/rotten-to-the-core-and-now-rotting-in-jail-20120302-1u82b.html

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Whaaaaaaaaat the gently caress. It'd almost be bad rear end if it weren't so criminally bonkers. I guess it could still be both, but I refuse to like this dude.

I think what sums this dude up the best is the final sentence.

quote:

Knoller's adopted son expresses his feelings about the attack differently. Schneider's blue eyes peer out impassively from behind the security glass at the visitation booth, and he says, "For once, I try to do something good, and look what happens. Ain't that buzzard luck.''

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The weirdest part of that article is that you can "adopt" a fully grown man.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Or these peoples' sexual obsession with a fuckin' dog. :barf:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The weirdest part of that article is that you can "adopt" a fully grown man.

I hear in Japan that adopting grown men with good degrees to take over a family business when they don't have any male heirs is still common.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nckdictator posted:

CNN had a surprisingly good article on the one video/incident that's influenced police officer training across the US and how it can lead to a situation where an innocent, unarmed person is shot. It's a really hosed up situation.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/politics/state/kyle-dinkheller-police-video/

Funny how this video of a crazy WHITE man shooting a police officer is so good at making police nervous about black drivers :thunk:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Duke Igthorn posted:

Funny how this video of a crazy WHITE man shooting a police officer is so good at making police nervous about black drivers :thunk:

:rolleyes:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I remember this as being a super big deal when it happened:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Chowchilla_kidnapping

A school bus full of kids gets stopped by armed kidnappers. They put everyone into a moving van buried underground planning to demand ransom.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Keith Atherton posted:

A school bus full of kids gets stopped by armed kidnappers. They put everyone into a moving van buried underground planning to demand ransom.
I remember this one! But I didn't know of this similar case from Australia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_School_kidnapping

quote:

Eastwood and Boland entered the school armed with a sawn-off shotgun at about 3:00pm, and forced the teacher, 20-year-old Mary Gibbs, and her six pupils (girls aged between 5 and 10) into a red delivery van, leaving a note at the school threatening to kill all of the hostages unless a $1,000,000 cash ransom was paid. They were driven off into a remote area in the bush.

That evening, the Premier of Victoria, Dick Hamer, announced that the State Government was prepared to pay the ransom. The Victorian Education Minister and future Premier, Lindsay Thompson, was driven to the scene by Assistant Commissioner W.D.(Bill) Crowley masquerading as the minister’s driver and armed with a trousered derringer pistol. Future Chief Commissioner S.I. (Mick) Miller was concealed under a blanket in the rear of the car with a high-powered rifle. Thompson waited to personally deliver the ransom, but it was never collected. In the early hours of the next morning, the kidnappers told Gibbs they were going to collect the ransom and left her and the pupils.

When they were gone, Gibbs managed to kick the door panel out with her heavy, platform-heeled leather boots and escape with the children in the dark, finding help a few kilometres away. Eastwood and Boland were captured by heavily armed Victoria Police officers after an extensive manhunt.

Government officials hiding under blankets with firearms, a 20-year-old teacher kicking out a van door with platform heels, grade-school girls walking kilometers in the dark to escape ... this is pretty much exactly what I imagine Australians are like.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Duke Igthorn posted:

It's not hard to understand. That video, among other things, makes police incredibly paranoid about being shot during traffic stops (and all the rest of the time, but I'm focusing on that part).

Then you add in the fact that racism makes them view black people as inherently dangerous, and you've got paranoia in general combined with fear of specific "danger", they shoot their gun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Spree/mass murder are basically synonyms, but usually like bombings and mass shootings that happen all at one place are referred to as mass murder. Once the person is going from place to place killing people then it's typically called a spree.

They're regarded as a completely different category than serial killers because the way they are tracked and identified are not at all similar. The cooling off period and planning period that most serial killers have makes them much more difficult to catch, whereas mass murderers and spree killers usually have no plan to escape capture and basically catch themselves most of the time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Keith Atherton posted:

There is something darkly funny about how the phones were so tied up that they couldn't even get through to make their demands.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

theflyingorc posted:

It's not hard to understand. That video, among other things, makes police incredibly paranoid about being shot during traffic stops (and all the rest of the time, but I'm focusing on that part).

Then you add in the fact that racism makes them view black people as inherently dangerous, and you've got paranoia in general combined with fear of specific "danger", they shoot their gun.
Yep, and then you add in that a lot of them aren't consciously bigoted, but still unconsciously see black men as larger and more violent than they really are, and you can see how police disproportionately shoot black men but still insist they're not racists.

(Article is a pro click, fyi.)

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

It's a liiiittle hard to understand considering the video is of a white man dancing around singing about how he's going to kill the police officer before rummaging around in his vehicle for a bit and pulling out a gun and it's being used to illustrate why cops are shooting black men sitting in their cars or with their hands in the air.

quote:

And then, in the first of many provocations, he puts his hands in his pockets.
“Good come back here keep your hands out of your pockets,” Kyle says.
“Why?” the man says, leaving them in.
“Keep your hands out of your pockets, sir,” Kyle says.
The man turns away, as if returning to his truck, and begins a profane and menacing tirade. Kyle steps forward, right forearm entering the frame, right hand ready to draw his gun. The man turns toward Kyle and raises his hands.
“Come ‘ere,” Kyle says.
The man dances, waves his arms, sings like a taunting child:
“Here I am, here I am. Shoot me. Shoot me!”

Well, now I totally see how this compares to Tamir Rice. With the split second this cop had to react

quote:

The man advances, retreats, advances again, obviously unintimidated. Kyle extends his aluminum baton.
“SIR, GET BACK NOW!”
“NO!”
“GET BACK!”
“F--- YOU!”
NO time to react!

quote:

They stand at the edge of the frame. Kyle keeps yelling commands, and the man keeps ignoring them. And then, as the man informs Kyle that he is a Vietnam combat veteran and doesn’t have to take this, a faint sound of contact can be heard. Kyle has struck the man with his baton, investigators will later conclude, but he has struck him gently. The man backpedals, re-entering the frame, and turns to go back to his truck.
Jeez I guess Castille was inevitable :(

quote:

The man has returned to his truck. He seems to be rummaging for something behind the seat. Kyle backs away, leaving the frame again, apparently taking cover.
“Get out of the car, now!” Kyle says, but the man is busy with his ominous task.
“I’m in fear of my f---ing life,” the man yells.
“I’m in fear of my life,” Kyle replies, as if making sure the camera knows.

This is a bullshit police fluffer article meant to pull at your heartstrings

quote:

Experts and activists keep calling for de-escalation training, less-lethal force, anything to stop an officer’s bullet from taking flight. But a beanbag shotgun won’t fit on a utility belt. A baton has very short range. Pepper spray can blow back in your face. A Taser might not work on a suspect in a heavy coat. And in a nation with nearly as many guns as people, the Kyle Dinkheller video tells officers there could be a time when pulling the trigger is the only way.
It's almost TOO eerie how history keeps repeating itself!

quote:

Less than halfway through the three minutes, Kyle sees the rifle: an Iver Johnson .30-caliber carbine, far more capable than the pistol in his own right hand. We know he sees this rifle not because of what Kyle does, but because of what he says: “PUT THE GUN DOWN!”
Kyle is an expert marksman, one of the best target shooters in the department, but officers will tell you firing at paper is nothing like shooting to kill. Kyle has seen the man reach into his truck, watched him for 22 seconds as he retrieved what turned out to be a rifle, ordered him to drop the rifle, and still the man has not complied. From this point on, law enforcement experts say, deadly force is not merely justified, it is required. And still Kyle holds his fire.
Those poor police!! How could they ever be expected to tell a good shoot from a bad???

quote:

“Make sure that if you shoot, it’s a good shoot, and if not you’re probably gonna lose everything you've got,” Sheriff Webb says they were told during training sessions. “Plus you’re probably gonna go to prison.”
They aren't even allowed to defend themselves!!

quote:

Kirk Dinkheller is a leading authority on both his son and the dash-cam video, which makes him a kind of expert witness, which gives him every right to advance his own theory about his son’s first shot. Which he believes was an intentional miss, a warning shot, one last attempt to end the encounter without spilling blood.
He tried so hard you guys! So hard! And was STILL killed! So you can see why you must pull your gun on every black driver at a traffic stop.

quote:

In 2014 an officer in Minnesota watched the Dinkheller video at a Calibre Press training seminar. His name was Jeronimo Yanez. In 2016 he killed Philando Castile during a traffic stop. He would be tried for manslaughter and found not guilty. Along with the killing of Alton Sterling in Louisiana, the Castile shooting appeared to be the precipitating event that led a gunman in Dallas to kill five police officers and wound seven others in the deadliest single incident for American law enforcement since 9/11.
None of this made the Kyle Dinkheller video seem less relevant to police trainers. Today they find it more relevant than ever, because many of them believe the police are under siege.
gently caress this article and gently caress you people who think it's a good article instead of police propaganda.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
A bit of crime news.
A girl was found in a hotel freezer. Her friends made a weird facebook live video we're you can allegedly hear her get raped in the background.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/us/kenneka-jenkins-hotel-death-video.html
An entitled shithead shot a homeless man for having the audacity to ask her to move her Porsche.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...him-police-say/
The real crime though is her "music".
Leslie Van Houten has been granted parole.
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/leslie-van-houten-jerry-brown-parole-1202549574/
A bunch white teenagers tried to lynch a biracial 8 year old.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/us/biracial-boy-lynched-new-hampshire.html

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've seen that video a few times and each time I'm surprised at how stupid that cop is. Wonder how he'd feel knowing that his idiocy has directly lead to dozens of people being shot for making the fatal mistakes of following police instructions or making them feel a little jittery.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

A bit of crime news.
A girl was found in a hotel freezer. Her friends made a weird facebook live video we're you can allegedly hear her get raped in the background.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/us/kenneka-jenkins-hotel-death-video.html

The rumor mill on this is that the hotel owner also has served time for attempted murder in the past. Also, less believable, that he was convicted in the past of selling organs on the black market. I don't really believe any of that, but I'm hearing it from a few different groups, so the legend is starting to grow.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've seen that video a few times and each time I'm surprised at how stupid that cop is. Wonder how he'd feel knowing that his idiocy has directly lead to dozens of people being shot for making the fatal mistakes of following police instructions or making them feel a little jittery.

The (lovely) article made a comment about the shooter wanting a suicide by cop but the footage is almost like the cop was trying for suicide by criminal at the same time.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Duke Igthorn posted:

gently caress this article and gently caress you people who think it's a good article instead of police propaganda.
It's a great article for understanding how propaganda is completely undermining common sense in police departments.

Which, COMBINED WITH RACISM, leads to extreme situations. They take "hey, if a person is noticeably crazy nuts, take them seriously" - which SHOULD be the lesson of that video - and instead say "ALL TRAFFIC STOPS ARE DANGEROUS AND YOU CAN GET KILLED" - even though this happens 10 or so times a year out of like literally a billion traffic stops nationally.

If cops weren't racist, many less black people would get shot. But we can't easily flip off the racist switch. We CAN, however, stop training police that they live in a world of extreme danger where their lives are threatened each and every moment they're in uniform.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd imagine that bar bouncers see as much conflict and violence as police do, if not more (I got nothing to back that up, just a feeling).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
you can also talk to bar bouncers without worrying that they may murder you at any moment for no reason and get away with it, which is dope
ACAB

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yikes dude. You can feel like that video is used as really lovely propaganda (it is and they should never use it in police training classes) and also feel bad for a dude who was barely in his 20s/in the police force for not knowing exactly how to react in an unexpected life threatening situation

Like dude was basically still a child and in no way expecting this poo poo to happen. Pretty lovely to rag on him

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Sep 14, 2017

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Duke Igthorn posted:

Wow, you're bad at nuance. How did you not pick up on the fact that the point of the article was "this piece of tearjerking video propaganda is used to train police to think that they're going to die if they don't shoot people fast enough?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He was a fully trained and certified law enforcement officer. He may have been young, but he was determined to be qualified to protect and enforce the law. Of course it sucks he was shot to death, but that doesn't make his decisions and reactions any less stupid. Maybe he needed more real life training or better training, but there's not many more warning signs that dude could have thrown his way. It's a lovely situation all around, but using him as an example of "THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE TO EXPECT ALL THE TIME" is loving insane and dangerous (as we're seeing).