Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Found this icon of St Mark Ji Tianxiang: I love the image of him finally trampling his opium pipe.

yesssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

So I'm taking Religion 101 as mentioned previously, and I'm being taught that neither orthodox or catholics believe in inherited sin! Or, the caths do, but that the baptism washes it away.

Is it just me, or does this mean that cathodox have a much more positive view of humanity than protestants?
Depending on the Protestant, I think this is accurate. However, I don't think the description of original sin you got is entirely accurate: the Catholics believe Original Sin still binds us to a sort of legal contract with God the Father, in which we deserve to die. Christ took that upon himself and died in our stead, which is the Catholic interpretation of why he had to die.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The teacher did say that both orthodox and catholics have the myth, but without going into details. Our bullshit government-dictated curriculum says we have to focus on protestantism and islam, other christianities are for odd foreigners with brutal hats.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

islam,...hats.
is a turban a hat? discuss

Tias
May 25, 2008

I went to Istanbul and checked out the tombs, they are in fact bitching double-hats. It is good

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Tias posted:

Can we not do this? Fetishizing other races is really uncomfortable, especially where these are socially and economically marginalized to the point of spiking drug use and youth suicide rates.

Remember, children - the thought that you might find someone not of your own race attractive is evil and criminal. You've all heard this before, but it was different the first time.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Remember, children - the thought that you might find someone not of your own race attractive is evil and criminal. You've all heard this before, but it was different the first time.

yeah because "best native hotties" isn't fetishizing a population far more likely to experience rape or sexual assault than the national average for women

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"actually having jungle fever is progressive" not that many degrees separated from what you just said m'man

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
My sympathies - you were born too late and in the wrong place. Truly, your talents would have placed you at the forefront of soviet psychiatry.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
is that a "your psychic powers sure did let you know what i meant" joke or something else because i don't know much about soviet psychology, or psychology in general other than "i took a class once"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I don't know much about the plight of Native Americans or how their hotties look like, but my ignorance is no excuse, I guess.

Tias
May 25, 2008

https://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida/noras-blog/2014/09/substance-use-in-american-indian-youth-worse-than-we-thought (native american schoolkids do thrice as much heroin and prescription opiates as other groups)

http://www.hcn.org/articles/why-native-american-women-still-have-the-highest-rates-of-rape-and-assault (one in six native women are subjected to rape once or more in their lives)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/native-american-youth-suicide-rates-are-at-crisis-levels_us_560c3084e4b0768127005591 (native american communities state they are "cried out", teen suicides rates are so staggering they can do nothing to respond to it)

Yes, because that's what I said :rolleyes: Take ten and get off the net, dude. We're not discussing some SJW poo poo you can pull your jowls and be smug about, but one of the worst( and still-perpetuating) crimes against a population ever.

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 12, 2017

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Senju Kannon posted:

is that a "your psychic powers sure did let you know what i meant" joke or something else because i don't know much about soviet psychology, or psychology in general other than "i took a class once"

Soviet psychiatry was less about treating mental illness than it was an adjunct to the police apparatus. When someone's behavior smelled possibly of dissent, but this couldn't positively be established, one stamped them as a pathological type - anything but complete assent to the historico-political project of Communism was of course not thinking correctly. And yes, what I said is perhaps several degrees away from "having jungle fever is progressive," but I'd like to think that there's a significant distinction in that interval.

Tias posted:

We're not discussing some SJW poo poo you can pull your jowls and be smug about, but one of the worst( and still-perpetuating) crimes against a population ever.

I don't mean to minimize the plight of native americans, but whether or not one finds certain individuals amongst them attractive has no necessary relation to that history?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, this looks like SJW stuff to me, though. I made joke about choosing church on hot women, which just happened to take Native flavour considering that he's in a reservation.

It's like the third joke in 6 days I'm supposed to feel bad about (some BA players were angry when I said that some people who play WWII Germans might be Nazis, and one dude felt like I was seriously accusing him of being bourgeois when he "started from nothing before getting where he is" when I said that his bourgeois existence prevents him from grasping how to play Soviets in a videogame) and I'm getting annoyed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

can we just, like, kill this discussion now before it gets bad

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

e: vv founder of the SSPX

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 12, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Who's Marcel?

Tias
May 25, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

can we just, like, kill this discussion now before it gets bad

Fine, whatever. It's just not loving funny, and if you knew people who had to see their kids kill themselves and their entire family do dope you'd realize what colossal dicks you're being.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thank y'all for the well wishes, I'm fine and so are my parents and the house, we just lost power and internet for a while.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Tias posted:

Fine, whatever. It's just not loving funny, and if you knew people who had to see their kids kill themselves and their entire family do dope you'd realize what colossal dicks you're being.

Tias, the issue isn't that anyone here is apologizing for the treatment of native americans. It's that you took a joke that no one would have batted an eye at had the word "native" not been there, and used it as occasion to start accusing people of being okay with rape and genocide. That is rather a stretch, particularly since the adjective wasn't added gratuitously in this case.

Cythereal posted:

Thank y'all for the well wishes, I'm fine and so are my parents and the house, we just lost power and internet for a while.

Glad to hear it, welcome back.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
♫ There's no controversy like sexual morality controversy, like no controversy I knooow. ♫

Cythereal posted:

Eyy, all things considered, that's not half bad. What have you been up off the grid?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Caufman posted:

Eyy, all things considered, that's not half bad. What have you been up off the grid?

Writing, reading a book, and playing cards with my family. And, yesterday morning, picking up a lot of storm debris out of the yard and off the roof. I'll probably head back to my apartment in a day or two.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

That avatar.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Valiantman posted:

That avatar.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yo folks. I just finished a ~4 year long prog+vaporwave+dream pop album project. It's quite heavy on the ol' Christianity, so I figure a few of you may dig it. It's hard to get any traction even on 'indie' Christian music blogs because by 'indie' they pretty much mean "the same as CCM only with ukulele, acoustic guitar, and bells."

It's on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR19S1rh82c

...and bandcamp here: http://music.jaytholen.net

...and there's even an ~Interactive Multimedia Experience~ I made for it here: http://jaytholen.net/celestialarchive/
Doesn't work on mobile browsers as far as I know. Hope y'all like it! If you enjoyed that, I have like 29 other releases floating around the internet. Some are from my charismatic days, so uh, don't hold those lyrics against me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

I'm as speechless as you.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HEY GAIL posted:

Depending on the Protestant, I think this is accurate. However, I don't think the description of original sin you got is entirely accurate: the Catholics believe Original Sin still binds us to a sort of legal contract with God the Father, in which we deserve to die. Christ took that upon himself and died in our stead, which is the Catholic interpretation of why he had to die.

I would say "are barred from heaven" rather than "deserve to die" but that may be nitpicking. Baptism erases that aspect of original sin but not the tendency towards 'actual' or 'personal' sin that goes with it. (As far as I know Catholics aren't required to accept penal substitutionary atonement, i.e. Christ allowing us to escape the death penalty. YMMV on whether "Christ died to satisfy a debt we couldn't" is meaningfully different.)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Protestants are big on original sin and total depravity but that doesn't necessarily lead to a fatalistic or negative view towards life and humanity. Luther's (in)famous "sin boldly" is basically addressing that. Yeah we're all inherently sinful and can never do anything to merit God's grace, but don't get caught up in mental torment over your own sinfulness. Sinners gonna sin, accept that and "sin boldly" knowing that Christ has atoned for you and God's grace is freely offered.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

Protestants are big on original sin and total depravity but that doesn't necessarily lead to a fatalistic or negative view towards life and humanity. Luther's (in)famous "sin boldly" is basically addressing that. Yeah we're all inherently sinful and can never do anything to merit God's grace, but don't get caught up in mental torment over your own sinfulness. Sinners gonna sin, accept that and "sin boldly" knowing that Christ has atoned for you and God's grace is freely offered.

Depends on which Protestants you talk to. :v:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Caufman posted:

I'm as speechless as you.

I am hesitant to ask but, who got you that and does it mean what I am dreading it means?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Yeah, this looks like SJW stuff to me, though. I made joke about choosing church on hot women, which just happened to take Native flavour considering that he's in a reservation.

It's like the third joke in 6 days I'm supposed to feel bad about (some BA players were angry when I said that some people who play WWII Germans might be Nazis, and one dude felt like I was seriously accusing him of being bourgeois when he "started from nothing before getting where he is" when I said that his bourgeois existence prevents him from grasping how to play Soviets in a videogame) and I'm getting annoyed.
almost all of us are bourgeois and so are you

edit: also, i'm amused that the same people who use sjw as a slur have now discovered leftism

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Not a fight to be had on the thread, but you can totally call out someone for going too far, even on the left. Else we're no different from tumblr.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I am hesitant to ask but, who got you that and does it mean what I am dreading it means?

The benefactor remained anonymous, but it almost certainly means what you think it means. I have no problem with it; what happens in the dark should come out in the light, in this life if not the next.

And I've already disclosed as much of my story as I feel I need to on these dead forums. A few years before the events of Spotlight took place, I was sexually abused by an older, non-religious family member, and it was a Catholic deacon and his church lady wife who were among the first to tell me that what happened to me was abuse, and that it wasn't my fault.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias, the issue isn't that anyone here is apologizing for the treatment of native americans. It's that you took a joke that no one would have batted an eye at had the word "native" not been there, and used it as occasion to start accusing people of being okay with rape and genocide. That is rather a stretch, particularly since the adjective wasn't added gratuitously in this case.

No, the issue is that no one bats an eye at a joke that trivializes native womens choices. I'd have been offended even if the world native was not in there, because it's dumb and sexist.

I was not going that far, you're just acting like I was because you feel attacked - because a clueless white person being told they shouldn't joke about something, is somehow worse than admitting that we should maybe not jest about further making GBS threads on some of the most suffering people on earth.

Like, I realize it's not a popular opinion, but I'm not going to be dissuaded from having it just because it makes others uncomfortable.

Tias fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 14, 2017

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HEY GAIL posted:

edit: also, i'm amused that the same people who use sjw as a slur have now discovered leftism

i'm homeless and work on a factory production line

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAIL posted:

I am absolutely not

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Nikki_Levy/status/907813876577832960/photo/1
https://twitter.com/CelesteKatzNYC/status/907816727093923841

Well there's something you don't see every day, especially not in the US.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

I work as a hardware store clerk and pay a rent to my folks to live in their house with them. My boss isn't even bourgeois- he's petty bourgeois.

You overestimate the economic outcomes of nerds.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
went to my first Latin Mass on sunday and it was like i'd never been to church before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

good: recognizes the superiority of the one holy catholic apostolic church
bad: listens to michael loving voris

• Locked thread