Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant blame youtube considering how 90% of insane internet blowups are centered on video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
wow i know i can't shut up about it in the steam thread and in the discords i post in but holy poo poo prey (2017) is one of the best games i've played in the past five years.

the other games that have made me feel this satisfied, and happy and refreshed to have played them (for the first time, replays don't count) in that timeframe have been, like, the last story, super pokemon mystery dungeon, and grandia 1

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

GAME OVER

RETURN OF THOMPSON

Unfortunately this does not mean videogame videos are without ads. They can still get ads even if they're 'advertiser unfriendly', but only youtube makes money from them

Fortunately adblock exists

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

GAME OVER

RETURN OF THOMPSON

Unfortunately this does not mean videogame videos are without ads. They can still get ads even if they're 'advertiser unfriendly', but only youtube makes money from them
wait... there are ads on youtube?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
only if you don't have noscript

eventually youtube will tie their videos to their ad scripts and i'll just stop using youtube altogether at that point

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The White Dragon posted:

wow i know i can't shut up about it in the steam thread and in the discords i post in but holy poo poo prey (2017) is one of the best games i've played in the past five years.

the other games that have made me feel this satisfied, and happy and refreshed to have played them (for the first time, replays don't count) in that timeframe have been, like, the last story, super pokemon mystery dungeon, and grandia 1

The name is such a misnomer. Its really System Shock 3.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i was a console kid growing up so i know next to nothing about system shock, but if anything i think that speaks to this game's qualifications that you can enjoy it without context or any knowledge whatsoever of the series it's the spiritual successor to

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The White Dragon posted:

i was a console kid growing up so i know next to nothing about system shock, but if anything i think that speaks to this game's qualifications that you can enjoy it without context or any knowledge whatsoever of the series it's the spiritual successor to

The same is true of Bioshock.

Say what you will, I just love that game. There are very few games I've become so completely wrapped up in .

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

LMAO that is hilariously unsurprising of YouTube to do.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sakurazuka posted:

The game ends when you get on the boat sorry
I'm disappointed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, I was trying to make people play it from day 1, at least a good thread title seems to have convinced some people who would otherwise looked the opposite way.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Prey is the prop hunt game right?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
no, prey is space post-it note simulator 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I pronounce Ys "yiz". I know it's wrong but I also don't care.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I pronounce Ys "yiz". I know it's wrong but I also don't care.

That's better than the official anyways

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That's better than the official anyways

The official is based on a real mythological city name though with a cool story behind it

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the mythical city of ys
where the streets are paved with jizz

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This thread is the only place I ever hear about Ys, as far as I'm concerned it's not a real series of games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

the mythical city of ys
where the streets are paved with jizz

Given the alleged location of the real life Ys, it's more likely

the mythical city of ys
where the streets are paved with piss

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I still pronounce it 'wise' in my head unless I consciously correct myself.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
For people who care about pronunciation, it's Paris with the Par

Which means it is extremely likely the true name is "EEEEE" because Ys was French Atlantis more or less and Paris is pronounced differently in French but, well, yknow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FirstAidKite posted:

For people who care about pronunciation, it's Paris with the Par

Which means it is extremely likely the true name is "EEEEE" because Ys was French Atlantis more or less and Paris is pronounced differently in French but, well, yknow.

This is even more confusing.

It's just geese without the G, people. Eese.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

This is even more confusing.

It's just geese without the G, people. Eese.

No I'm talking about the actual real life myth now and not the game.

The game is deffo eese.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So,

/iːs/

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

椅子

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

The official is based on a real mythological city name though with a cool story behind it

:colbert: Well I guess you've got me on that one!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

i cant blame youtube considering how 90% of insane internet blowups are centered on video games

Pretty sure most of their adpocalypse decision was based around people re-uploading ISIS beheading videos and all the channels that were professing racism is a good thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ok so why don't they demonetize everyone who violates their policies instead of just the small fish. balance in all things

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think there was enough of the youtube racism talk for this month, it's been thoroughly discussed already. It comes back every few pages when another poster finally gets the memo and the same things are being posted over and over again. It's really tiring at this point, please try to make a conscious effort to talk about something else like games.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

ok so why don't they demonetize everyone who violates their policies instead of just the small fish. balance in all things

No clue. That's why some people are upset with YouTube in how they've implemented this whole thing, it's done a lot of harm to people who weren't violating the rules to begin with.

Palpek posted:

I think there was enough of the youtube racism talk for this month, it's been thoroughly discussed already. It comes back every few pages when another poster finally gets the memo and the same things are being posted over and over again. It's really tiring at this point, please try to make a conscious effort to talk about something else like games.

Games are....

*checks notes*

fun......?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 13, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Unfunny Poster posted:

Games are....

*checks notes*

fun......?
I like where this is going.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm bad at Civ

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i don't think you're bad at civ you just haven't gotten sucked into it yet

if there's one good thing about beyond earth, it's that one of the wonders is a machine that lets everyone in your civ relive the experiences of their ancestors, asscreed style, but the example they provide isn't, "fight alongside george washington in the war of american independence;" it's, "now people of the future can have the experience of their great-great-great-great-great-great grandparent going on a civilization bender and noticing that the sun is coming up"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I pronounce it Whys. As in wise to play this series of games!

Also, I started my first assassins creed last night. I had syndicate for some reason on my PS4 and thought it probably a good idea to try out the notorious series and I really enjoy the movement/brawling. Also it is all English which makes me happy, being English.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If you had the chance to play one last game before you died, what would your last game be?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you had the chance to play one last game before you died, what would your last game be?
It's Mr. Pants!, just to confuse the world.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

Portal 2.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

LawfulWaffle posted:

the finished version of star citizen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LawfulWaffle posted:

If I had to get the platinum trophy first White Knight Chronicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think I'd pick something completely innocent and feel-good, like Kirby's Dreamland

• Locked thread