Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

In the collection we bought a few months back there was a near complete run of the Super books from 86-08 and I put them all aside so I can read the entire thing before i put them out for sale.

Don't forget your homeboy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Teenage Fansub posted:

BMan annual variant.
Gosh, I'm excited at the prospect of Olivier Coipel on something more than a Metal tie-in. Fingers crossed.

So, Batman vs. Godzilla is finally happening, huh?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Australian Lex Luthor cradling melted Kif from Futurama is some top tier poo poo

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The Atom plays the worst pranks

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

In the collection we bought a few months back there was a near complete run of the Super books from 86-08 and I put them all aside so I can read the entire thing before i put them out for sale.

One day you'll beat Mark Waid's supposed record of reading every Superman story.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I really like this Metropolis Mailbag thing they apparently only did twice in 92 and 93

Edit: oh my christ the cadmus newsboys

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 8, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AlmightyBob posted:

I was wondering why Supergirl turned into a loving goo monster when Doomsday hit her hahaha
Same.

I got the Death TPB for christmas and ate the thing several times over that day with cookies and rompope (mexican rum-filled eggnog). So many questions, like "Why does BB care about Bloodwynd? Why is Maxima such a badass? Supergoo? Where did the red-haired awesome Luthor come from?"

It's amazing how much you just accept in a comic when you're a pre-internet reader. Oh, Booster Gold can survive a deathpunch with 1/4 of his shield up? Ok. Wait who's Booster Gold? He wasn't in the Superfriends!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WHO IS BLOODWYND

was a really silly little mystery Dan Jurgens wrote into the book. He was told to drop J'onn from the team so he came up with a way to backdoor him back onto the roster. Supposedly nobody else knew until he handed the pages off the his inker.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How is Loeb/Sale's Challengers of the Unknown? https://www.comixology.com/Challengers-of-the-Unknown-1991/comics-series/103292
That just went up recently along with Howard Chaykin's miniseries

Guess they're gearing up for Snyder's series.
I'd like to try them out before then. Might have to go to the original since everything else seems to be some subversive take.
e: Hey. They're Kirby comics, so that wouldn't be the worst idea.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 9, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AlmightyBob posted:

I was wondering why Supergirl turned into a loving goo monster when Doomsday hit her hahaha

I remember reading the novelization of Death of Superman before I was reading actual comics at all and there's a part where Roger Stern tries to describe Supergirl's whole deal and it confused the poo poo out of me. Later on Supergirl is... I forget, somewhere dark for some reason, and she makes her eyes giant so her pupils can dilate way larger and at that point I was just like "well okay then I guess :geno:"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I remember reading the novelization of Death of Superman before I was reading actual comics at all and there's a part where Roger Stern tries to describe Supergirl's whole deal and it confused the poo poo out of me. Later on Supergirl is... I forget, somewhere dark for some reason, and she makes her eyes giant so her pupils can dilate way larger and at that point I was just like "well okay then I guess :geno:"

It was when she went into the sewers after Superman's body was stolen.Dan Turpin later is freaked out when he meets her because he thought her eyes were big as dishplates for a moment. (Because they were!)

... Why do I remember this?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rhyno posted:

*runs into my closet to make sure I haven't been burglarized* phew . . .

This definitely makes me want to pull those out, there are so many story arcs I haven't read in years that I'd want to see if hold up. There was a lot of great stuff during that era. Most of what I remember is all post Death/Reign. poo poo like Emperor Joker (which I have reread and owns), Dead Again, Death of Clark Kent, Trial of Superman, Dominus Effect. Some obviously better than others but I'd love to start again and go through that whole era.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Death of Superman, the local con at Mexico City will focus its next entry on celebrate the 25th anniversary of DOTS. Dan Jurgens will be the guest of honor and there will be a bunch of commemorative goodies available.

https://twitter.com/lamolecomiccon/status/906215956115947521
https://twitter.com/lamolecomiccon/status/906337130363854848
https://twitter.com/lamolecomiccon/status/906331380723859456
https://twitter.com/lamolecomiccon/status/906314608192786433
https://twitter.com/lamolecomiccon/status/906309874681655296
https://twitter.com/lamolecomiccon/status/906286613407207424
https://twitter.com/lamolecomiccon/status/906263815003574272

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
What are the chances those commemorative goodies will sell for multiple times the price of the actual comic, unopened with the goodies inside.*

My dad actually still has a copy in the black bag and everything, bought entirely on the chance that it might be worth something years later. I think last time I checked the average price was around $1.75.

*100%

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

catlord posted:

What are the chances those commemorative goodies will sell for multiple times the price of the actual comic, unopened with the goodies inside.*

My dad actually still has a copy in the black bag and everything, bought entirely on the chance that it might be worth something years later. I think last time I checked the average price was around $1.75.

*100%

When was the last time you checked? We routinely get $25 out of those bagged copies.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rhyno posted:

When was the last time you checked? We routinely get $25 out of those bagged copies.

I could have sworn it wasn't that long ago, but checking eBay I'm seeing sold copies ranging from like, $5 to $35, so that's neat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

catlord posted:

I could have sworn it wasn't that long ago, but checking eBay I'm seeing sold copies ranging from like, $5 to $35, so that's neat.

Still sealed with no stretches or marks on the black bag can get as high as $35 ungraded. It's been a popular book again since BvS dropped.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did I miss something drama about a book this week? Doc Shaner seems pretty upset on Twitter and mentioned something about death threats?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/907821433379803136
That's as exact as I can see in his replies.
Maybe he doesn't want whoever he's referring to to start attacking him, but yeah. Twitter vaguery's very annoying.
Who knows what he looked at?

The only news I heard about today was Tom King's Batman dialogue getting edited down in trades https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/12/tom-king-batman-10-repetition-edited/
and Mitch Gerads' Flash baby
https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/907640493802119168
Don't harass Flash Baby.

edit: I did hear about Metal #2 spoilers being out there, but I'm not seeking those out. He's involved in the Dark Matter stuff, so maybe?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 13, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So spoilers out for metal #2, and uh... :stare:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The comic's out too. It's amazingly goofy.
In this issue there are three times I thought I'd seen the silliest thing in comics this year.

edit: Speaking of Metal, in Action Comics, (yup Oz is Jor-El) Viktor Bogdanovic from New Super-Man has moved over and his Greg Capullo influence is SO pronounced with whoever he's paired with here. It's like if Greg was drawing Superman back in 2011 instead of Batman.

edit 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cpUa8zXIc

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 13, 2017

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I want to say it's cause Jonathan Glapion inked Capullo's early work on New52 Batman and he's inking this current issue of Action Comics.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

echoing that metal #2 is ridiculous in an enjoyable way; the tone is also on point since anything more serious or grounded would more readily invoke event fatigue for me

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

I love this way more than I should. (Exactly as much as I should.)

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm going to have to drop Metal because I still have no idea what is going on with the story. I hate to say it because it was my most anticipated book of the year, but I've read all four issues, most of them 2-3 times, and I can't make any sense of it. Hopefully with the trade they'll add some material that helps explain all the backstory or someone will have done annotations by then.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: Speaking of Metal, in Action Comics, (yup Oz is Jor-El)

Excellent so it's an attempt at Infinite Crisis the Mulliganing. So pre crisis, or post crisis Jor-El, want to turn poo poo back to how it used to be back in the Silver Age or the 1980s "Bronze Age"? In turn using someone way more powerful than he is to make it happen. I'm hoping it's an attempt to try to put things back to Gold or Silver Age and have him bemoan how his son was so much better being a dick to Jimmy Olsen and Aquaman denying them water in the desert than he is now. So, is there a deadpool for b and c list heros that are not being used that could get exploded by a manipulated Doc Manhattan? New Super Man is definitely on my list of going out heroically.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Jiro posted:

Excellent so it's an attempt at Infinite Crisis the Mulliganing. So pre crisis, or post crisis Jor-El, want to turn poo poo back to how it used to be back in the Silver Age or the 1980s "Bronze Age"? In turn using someone way more powerful than he is to make it happen. I'm hoping it's an attempt to try to put things back to Gold or Silver Age and have him bemoan how his son was so much better being a dick to Jimmy Olsen and Aquaman denying them water in the desert than he is now. So, is there a deadpool for b and c list heros that are not being used that could get exploded by a manipulated Doc Manhattan? New Super Man is definitely on my list of going out heroically.

Deathstroke kills the dc universe?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man the Oz reveal arc is off to a real poo poo start.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Mister Miracle #2 was some good Tom King, but my favorite panel of the week has to be from Metal:

I mean, he's even throwing the horns.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

/\ The baby saying a little omega sign when the evil Robins are attacking is the best.

Dunbar posted:

I'm going to have to drop Metal because I still have no idea what is going on with the story. I hate to say it because it was my most anticipated book of the year, but I've read all four issues, most of them 2-3 times, and I can't make any sense of it. Hopefully with the trade they'll add some material that helps explain all the backstory or someone will have done annotations by then.

I tried explaining it last time, (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769866&pagenumber=286&perpage=40#post475465719) but here we go with this issue. These are just the basic events, but I hope it helps:
Batman got hit by Darkseid's eye beams in Final Crisis, which sent him back through time. An ancient bat god saw him and plotted through his followers on earth to prep Batman to use him as a gateway to come to this multiverse.
Batman learnt this through Hawkman's journal and is gonna use Baby Darkseid (look up the events of The Darkseid War, if you don't know why we have a baby Darkseid) in an ancient Hawk-tomb to time travel back and fix poo poo. The bat/judas clan of the god's followers knew all about that, though, so moved the location of a Hawkman's eternal antagonist's tomb there instead, so Batman's trapped.
This bad clan, through time ended up as the Court of Owls and events through Snyder's run are retconned in this issue to be them preparing Batman's body. This other otherworldly cult of priests or whatever came through to Earth (not sure it's explained how) with the final ingredient and now Batman's a portal, which the Justice League of Evil Multiverse Batmans and this god pop through.

We haven't really seen what Dream helped Batman do between issues, but he hosed off saying "Gimme a ring if it all goes pear shaped. Later."

Guessing all of the Anti-Monitor's astral brain stuff is just Scott writing the silliest plan he could for the immortals to be thinking up, rather than anything you actually have to be worrying about.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 13, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

Man the Oz reveal arc is off to a real poo poo start.

Well it's being done by the lesser of the two main Superman writers so.............this is par for course of Action Comics when compared to Superman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

Well it's being done by the lesser of the two main Superman writers so.............this is par for course of Action Comics when compared to Superman.

It was just a lovely reveal and took all the steam out of the Oz character. It also feels like it was a late change because so many other things just don't mesh with the reveal. Like his interest in Tim Drake or the fact that he continually referred to Superman as Clark until this issue and now that we know who he is I feel like he would never call him Clark.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I do feel bad for newer, non-DC-attenuated readers going into Dark Nights: Metal because, yeah, I don't know how any of this is going to make any sense. It's definitely not a one of those Rebirthy books that make everything very streamlined and pared-down and narratively-accessible.

But holy drat, I don't see how you can be any sort of long-time DC reader, even going back as recently as the early 2010s, and not at least be getting a kick out of how lovingly, densely DC Universe this event has been.

I'm a little disappointed we don't get to see the conversation Dream and Batman must've had, though. I'm sure he'll be important through the story, but the total vagueness of his, like, two-panel appearance here makes his SHOCKING REVEAL in the last issue feel a bit more...superficial? I just want everything in this series revealed already, is that too much to ask?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

It was just a lovely reveal and took all the steam out of the Oz character. It also feels like it was a late change because so many other things just don't mesh with the reveal. Like his interest in Tim Drake or the fact that he continually referred to Superman as Clark until this issue and now that we know who he is I feel like he would never call him Clark.

Are you suggesting that DC Comics, home of Superman, Azrael Batman, Non Sitting Batman, constantly sitting Darkseid and GIANT PURPLE DEATH RAY, would COULD possibly do a last minute asspull for vague capricious reasons? :v:

Also Jurgens quality of work has been on a steady decline. I really haven't liked what he's done since he did that Booster Gold book.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That's part of why I'm so confused, I think, because Rebirth has largely been accessible and friendly to new readers, and then here in the first big event of Rebirth (I realize they did JL v SS, but Metal is on a different level from that) they're mining 20-30 years of DC universe history with very little in the way of context or laying of groundwork. It's fun to see all the old school DC heads so excited, but I'll be damned if I can understand any of it. Has Hawkman even been in a Rebirth book up to now? I remember seeing the Death of Hawkman mini on shelves at my shop but that's it.

I will say it's an amusing feeling to go out of my way to avoid spoilers on these big issues and then when I finally get to read the story and see the big reveal, it has zero impact. I read Sandman maybe 15 years ago, but Dream showing up at the end of Metal #1 was more baffling than anything else. Same with whatever happened at the end of Action Comics this week. Well over a year of Mr. Oz build and the result is after finishing I toss the issue into my trade-in box and take the rest of the arc off my pull list. Oh well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So DC"s December solicits have apparently been leaked, along with Marvel's.

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?101124-December-2017-solicitations

Thread for it.

Here's the most important part

JUSTICE LEAGUE #34
[(W) Christopher Priest (A) Pete Woods (CA) TBD]
"LOST" part one! When the Justice League is confronted by three concurrent threats, a sleep-deprived Batman makes a crucial error that causes an unthinkable-and potentially unforgivable-tragedy. Legendary Eisner Award-nominated writer Christopher Priest (Deathstroke) is joined by artist Pete Woods for a brand-new must-read Justice League story like you've never seen before!
RATED T

JUSTICE LEAGUE #35
[(W) Christopher Priest (A) Pete Woods (CA) TBD]
"LOST" part two! Still greatly affected by the shocking events of the previous issue, the Justice League attempts to regain its balance when an alien infestation threatens the Earth. But nothing can prepare them for an attack closer to home... one that will reveal devastating truths about the League itself!
RATED T

Also, lol, Teen Titans is involved in yet another crossover, I'm glad I dropped it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well when Oz was first created Rebirth wasn't even on the table yet so he's definitely had his identity changed, probably twice now. It seems like they decided that this story didn't need to be part of Doomsday Clock.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
For what it's worth, someone who would know told me over a year ago (around the time Rebirth launched) that Mr. Oz was planned to be Alternate Universe Jor-El from the moment that he showed up in the Johns/JRJR Superman book right before DCYou. I was starting to think that they'd changed direction to make him Ozymandias once he started doing poo poo like kidnapping Tim Drake, but the "original" intention was always for the reveal to be this. Not that it makes the story leading up to or including this week's issue any better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

For what it's worth, someone who would know told me over a year ago (around the time Rebirth launched) that Mr. Oz was planned to be Alternate Universe Jor-El from the moment that he showed up in the Johns/JRJR Superman book right before DCYou. I was starting to think that they'd changed direction to make him Ozymandias once he started doing poo poo like kidnapping Tim Drake, but the "original" intention was always for the reveal to be this. Not that it makes the story leading up to or including this week's issue any better.

The Reddit rumors said "Pre Crisis Jor-L" so I believe your source. But at some point he was gonna be Ozymandias and then they went back to Pappa-El.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was hoping that it would be Hawk from Hawk and Dove fame, just because.