Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
embrasures will be op unless AI is reworked to better deal with them or if tynan adds reusable rocket launchers/field artillery other than mortars or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you use the medieval times ones they work quite well with the AI because the AI will just try to storm them most of the time, rather than milling about. The AI only fucks up if you have no actual way into the base because embrasures are completely impassable, if they're just very slow to cross they work fine.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
picked this game up last night and gave it a try

On my second day I decided I didn't like where I put my stockpile, so I gave an order to deconstruct the pillars holding the roof up so I could rebuild there. The roof caved in and crushed one of my dudes to death. I think I set a new record for failure or something.

game is good.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Renegret posted:

I think I set a new record for failure or something.

:shobon:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah I picked it up a week ago and am having fun with it as well. I eagerly await the next update.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

569 unmodded hours :smug:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Just watched a streamer lose her whole colony to a pack of man hunting snow hares because she forgot to build a door, rimworld at it's finest.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Boomrat man hunter packs also suck, especially when they start deviating over terrain so they don't fratricide on explosion.

I lost a rich explorer game on the first day because I thought I could kill the panther lingering near my shack and I didn't want it to go after my Labrador. Yeah, it ate my dude after he missed all but one of his first shots until panther got into melee range.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Got bored of hunting uranium, getting enough for even a few colonists into space was getting far too tedious.

Probably going to put this down for a while now.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah, the uranium requirement is a bit much. Obviously it's meant to prolong the end game until something better is instituted.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a better ship designer.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Space stations would be cool.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Or:

Once you launch enough colonists into space, you magically appear back on your home world (or a random new world if you're tribal). You land again but this time there are way less lovely events but way more factions and built up bases that you can potentially ally or annihilate. You'd get to go back home and start annihilating the people that you once loved because your space tribe is now a psycopathic cult set on consuming human hearts for juju.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd adore being able to build a space station. As much as I liked the Mars mod there was too much tedium and not enough the-stuff-that-makes-Rimworld-fun. Plus I want to worship Dagon in space.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Actually, here's my dumb mod idea I'd work on if I had any idea how to start and was dedicated enough to even imagine I might finish it: World Police.

Once you reach the point where your colony is self sufficient and can start gaming the market anyway, you get the ability to build satellites that you launch over parts of the map, and which will tell you about whatever's going on. In addition to the caravan requests, you get alerts about pirates/tribals/mechanoids/etc. raiding other factions, and you can intervene, gaining faction rep. Eventually they start paying you to keep them safe via a tribute system.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Those things would have to happen to others for you to be informed and be able to intervene in the first place.

If I understand properly, I think what you want is an expanded version of the Recon mod, which has a similar premise with it's "please get these loving bandits off my poo poo" missions that the factions can give you.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Trivia posted:

Yeah, the uranium requirement is a bit much. Obviously it's meant to prolong the end game until something better is instituted.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a better ship designer.

I'd like for the ship designer to actually allow you to build a full ship that you can move around the map and live in and decorate.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

If I don't care about getting into space and escaping the planet, and just want to build forever then I'm guessing Randy would be the best storyteller once I'm up and running?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yes, but also Randy is the best from the start regardless of your goals.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I used to use the Deep Core Drill mod that gave you a huge version of the vanilla drill which could mine whatever substance you wanted. But, you had to complete a round (couldn't leave a %), it took awhile (each pawn might get 3-5 rounds per work day) and it took 2000 kWh to run. It felt okay to me... but I moved away from it to the quarry mod.

I agree that starting with Randy is a good thing. I used to go Cassandra first year then Randy, then I stopped being so nit picky.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What machining workstation guns do you guys prefer? Obviously different guns for different situations but I mean overall. The wiki seems to think the heavy SMG is the best short/close range gun, but it seems like the chain shotgun or the assault rifle would be better.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I usually go assault rifles -> charge rifles for average pawns, then anyone with like 10+ shooting gets a sniper rifle or two to make sure I have some long ranged support.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bird food bathtub posted:

I usually go assault rifles -> charge rifles for average pawns, then anyone with like 10+ shooting gets a sniper rifle or two to make sure I have some long ranged support.

Pretty much this. Charge rifles for average shooters, sniper rifles for 12+, plasteel longswords for everyone else.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I do half my average shooters with assault rifles, a quarter with charge rifles, and the remainder bolt action unless trigger happy, then minigun or LMG. I try to have out of a group of 10 colonists 3 snipers. Usually what happens is that there is 1 or 2 melee (plasteel long swords eventually) in that ratio. Depending on situation, 1-3 EMP grenadiers and 1-2 frag grenadiers.

Does shooting skill help mortar accuracy or is it just a crap shoot for everyone?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's completely random so put your crappy combat folks on them.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hey, you with one leg, one arm, one eye, and brain trauma! Man this explosive projectile device!

*shoots as accurately as the bionic soldier*

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Danaru posted:

I'd adore being able to build a space station. As much as I liked the Mars mod there was too much tedium and not enough the-stuff-that-makes-Rimworld-fun. Plus I want to worship Dagon in space.

with a low orbit ion cannon?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

clone on the phone posted:

If I don't care about getting into space and escaping the planet, and just want to build forever then I'm guessing Randy would be the best storyteller once I'm up and running?

A handy guide to selecting your storyteller

Q: Do you--?
A: Yes, Randy.

Q: I'm new and--

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Machining weapons? Stick around long enough and you can kit everyone out in miniguns salvaged from centipedes. METAL STORM.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Heavy SMGs are quite nice as a niche option if you end up fighting in closer quarters. They're rubbish outside of very short ranges but close in a single volley can rip a dude to shreds.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

New Butt Order posted:

A handy guide to selecting your storyteller

Q: Do you--?

Q: I'm new and--
What storyteller if I don't want fallout and volcanic winter concurrent in month 1?

Cass/Phoebe give you free colonists, free wealth (clockwork raids are a good thing until their size gets too big), and has a check against random loving you in the first several years. Its worth starting there and switching unless you really like dealing with the food sapping events very early.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you get that unlucky just restart, you're in month 1 with 10 minutes invested.

Randy for life imo because if you are looking to game the system like that you are already good enough at the game to weather some early bad events

Heffer
May 1, 2003

The Doom mod is hilarious and OP. I just took out a mech raid with a handful of BFG9000s (and flattened everything else within 20 tiles)

I really want to try the minigun shooting gallery but need to redesign my kill box to support that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bhodi posted:

If you get that unlucky just restart, you're in month 1 with 10 minutes invested.

Randy for life imo because if you are looking to game the system like that you are already good enough at the game to weather some early bad events
Working through bad events with peanuts is cool and good and how Randy should be played.

But it's like Randy is so pervasive in thread recommendations you get people poking their head in like "I can't believe Randy did XY and Z and I had to restart/save scum" and it's like you know there's a setting to avoid that and save your 10 minutes for things that matter right?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

zedprime posted:

Working through bad events with peanuts is cool and good and how Randy should be played.

But it's like Randy is so pervasive in thread recommendations you get people poking their head in like "I can't believe Randy did XY and Z and I had to restart/save scum" and it's like you know there's a setting to avoid that and save your 10 minutes for things that matter right?

Randy's so widely used because it's not actively trying to gently caress you. It rolls a dice and sometimes you're hosed, but other storytellers just gently caress you without even rolling the dice.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slime posted:

Randy's so widely used because it's not actively trying to gently caress you. It rolls a dice and sometimes you're hosed, but other storytellers just gently caress you without even rolling the dice.
You get like 2 years where Cass and Phoebe are actively helping you: bonus chance to recruit or recruit events to hit the population soft cap, no turbofucking back to back events for several years, clockwork raids providing a steady income.

Cass and Phoebe will start turbofucking you on purpose somewhere around year 4 or 5 when the algorithm hits an inflection where you always get multiple bad events in a row, the soft population cap never goes up to keep getting freeby colonists, and the raids get so big that the clockwork nature is annoying. Everyone should switch to Randy by then if you haven't made a ship or are otherwise playing a long game.

If you want a ramped start with active help from the storyteller, Cass and Phoebe make the first couple years a breeze compared to crossing your fingers Randy doesn't hate you this time or playing conservatively to handle the out of depth moments.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

zedprime posted:

You get like 2 years where Cass and Phoebe are actively helping you: bonus chance to recruit or recruit events to hit the population soft cap, no turbofucking back to back events for several years, clockwork raids providing a steady income.

Cass and Phoebe will start turbofucking you on purpose somewhere around year 4 or 5 when the algorithm hits an inflection where you always get multiple bad events in a row, the soft population cap never goes up to keep getting freeby colonists, and the raids get so big that the clockwork nature is annoying. Everyone should switch to Randy by then if you haven't made a ship or are otherwise playing a long game.

If you want a ramped start with active help from the storyteller, Cass and Phoebe make the first couple years a breeze compared to crossing your fingers Randy doesn't hate you this time or playing conservatively to handle the out of depth moments.
lmao dude, RimWorld is not difficult or complex enough for you to need to loving game the Storytellers and min-max the rotting tribalwear and shoddy wooden club yields you get after cleaning up a raid.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 14, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Okay buddy, we get it. You're the big boy of the playground and you get to make the rules of whats pussy and what's not.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Sage Grimm posted:

Okay buddy, we get it. You're the big boy of the playground and you get to make the rules of whats pussy and what's not.

:yeah:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I pick Phoebe because she's cute with a cute mammal pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
you morons know you can always adjust the difficulty and even story tellers mid game if you get your poo poo slapped too hard. right?