Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Answer the call for help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Tiggum posted:

You don't think the book would punish us just for choosing the wrong direction with no hints or context, do you? Oh wait, of course it would. But not in this case.

Should we go try to help, or ignore them and keep riding?

The copy protection map in the front of the book tells you which way is correct.

Be a Hero.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Comstar posted:

The copy protection map in the front of the book tells you which way is correct.
It really doesn't. Even in the version of the book where one option will definitely kill you the thing the map suggests will happen doesn't. And like I said, this version is not that version so it's irrelevant. I'll explain it in some more detail once we're past the point where any of it will count as spoilers.

Fire on the Water posted:

You spur your horse through the tangle of trees until you enter a small clearing. Six Szalls are jumping excitedly around the writhing body of a man on the ground. A strangely carved spear is stuck in his chest, and lying dead beside him is the body of a Knight of the White Mountain. The creatures are shrieking at each other and appear to be unconcerned with the man’s obvious agony.

Healing: +1 EP (27/28).
We could use Healing to try to save the man, or we could attack the szalls first to drive them off. If we don't get rid of them they could get in the way and prevent us from saving the man, but if it takes too long then it might be too late anyway.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Use Healing. The Szalls are possibly distracting, but weak. I doubt they'll mess with us.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Fight them off first so we don't end up with a spear in our back too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
heal first

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

That is dangerously close to being a spoiler, so it's a good thing you're wrong. As with the previous decision, both choices are viable in this version.

I realized that regardless of what it was referring to, to an outside observer it looks exactly like a spoiler, or at least a winking reference. I think if I were reading this new, that sort of thing would annoy me, and I'll refrain from hinting at things before we get to them.

(I'll still vote, because my choices are all over the place with respect to foreknowledge.)

Ignore the szalls, heal the wounded guy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kangra posted:

I realized that regardless of what it was referring to, to an outside observer it looks exactly like a spoiler, or at least a winking reference. I think if I were reading this new, that sort of thing would annoy me, and I'll refrain from hinting at things before we get to them.

(I'll still vote, because my choices are all over the place with respect to foreknowledge.)

Ignore the szalls, heal the wounded guy.
Yeah, you can definitely still vote, just don't say stuff like "I'm voting for X because we'll need Y for an encounter that's coming up" or whatever. :)

You try to apply your hands to the injured man’s chest, but the Szalls are pulling at your cloak and trying to drag you away.

Healing: +1 EP (28/28).

During the period of your Kai training in Camouflage, your masters taught you many of the languages and dialects of northern Magnamund, one of which was Szall. The creatures in this clearing are Szalls and they are screaming at you that the wounded man is not a man at all. They say he is a Helghast, a powerful shape-changing servant of the Darklords.
What do we think? Are the szalls telling the truth? Do we check the man's pack for evidence, or chase the szalls away so we can get on with healing him?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Helgasts don't sound good. Check that man's sack!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Helghasts sound like bad news, let's check to be sure

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
"You see some szalls. Your advanced training lets you know that they are from a race known as szalls."

FWIW, I think Legends of Lone Wolf (the straight-up fictional series of Lone Wolf's adventures that got weird) gives a little bit more info on them (wiki contains spoilers), they're basically wimpy Giaks that defected from the Darklands. Unfortunately it didn't do much for their social standing with either forces of good or evil, so the few times they show up they're just kinda window dressing and looked down upon by everyone.

Chase these scrubs away.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Loot the man's bag. Let's consider it advance payment for saving his life.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Huh, didn't expect camouflage would double as a language skill. And loot, I guess.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How did the fiction series get weird? I recall Lone Wolf hanging out with the adventurer chick from the coach ride, and going a bit wild like a wolf, but that was about it.

Check his pack.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Helghasts? Scolar Visari's people? Here?

Sorry, wrong game. ;)

Loot the pack!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

How did the fiction series get weird?
I've only read three of them (and those many years ago), but there's stuff like characters from later books showing up way earlier and a lot of stuff tying together and some stuff from the gamebooks getting blatantly retconned. But it's probably pretty hard to discuss specifics without getting into spoilers.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Helghasts? Scolar Visari's people? Here?

Sorry, wrong game. ;)

Wrong game, right guy. The late Joe Dever did some uncredited work on the story for the original Killzone.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I did not know that about Dever. Good for him. The original Killzone was IMO the best.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Just now learning Dever is dead. :(

However, encouraging to hear the news that his son has stated plans to complete the last few planned books. Let's just hope this is more of a Jordan->Sanderson situation than a Herbert->Herbert fiasco.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I was thrilled to see there's an actuall lone wolf game up on steam - unfortunately it's... not good. Ruined by quicktime events and crapy combat. :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

I was thrilled to see there's an actuall lone wolf game up on steam - unfortunately it's... not good. Ruined by quicktime events and crapy combat. :(
I really wanted to like it, but yeah, it's bad. I haven't checked, but it seems like it might have been a mobile game originally? Not that that would necessarily make it bad, but it seemed to me that the things I particularly didn't like about it would probably play a lot better on a tablet.

UnwiseTrout posted:

Helgasts don't sound good. Check that man's sack!
Helghasts are certainly not good. Unless you mean "cool", because they are really cool.

You search in his pack and are horrified to find that it contains a scroll of human skin upon which a message has been written in a strange runic script. The only word that you can make out is ‘Kai’. You also find an evil-looking dagger with a black blade, and a block of cold obsidian.

These items bear the signs of the Darklords’ craft. Something is very wrong here. You drop the pack as quickly as if it were red-hot and turn to mount your horse. To your dismay, you find it is no longer there: the Szalls must have stolen it. Wearily, you realize you will now have to continue your journey on foot.

You have been walking for nearly two hours when you reach the peak of a hill and see the Durenor Forest stretched out before you. The road bears eastwards and enters the trees at a point where a large wooden tower has been built. You can see the silhouette of a soldier on guard.

Should we head for the watchtower or take a detour and avoid it?

I'm curious about that "strange runic script". How can Lone Wolf read the word "Kai" if he doesn't recognise the language, and what language is it? That illustration is actually not this message, BTW. It's from a bit we missed in book one, I just remembered it and thought it would be appropriate to this section. And once again we've encountered a weapon that we're not able to take, so we're still unarmed and suffering that Combat Skill penalty.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That watchtower sounds good.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I assumed it was a case of "kids won't play a game you just read, we have to have action in it". It being a mobile port would make sence though. :(

Check out watchtower.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

If you want the computer Lone Wolf experience, there's Seventh Sense for PC and Lone Wolf Saga for Android (iOS? too?) that use the Project Aon books.

Seventh Sense also has optional houserules that can make the game a little smoother/harder/more interesting - stuff like point buy for your stats instead of rolling, limiting yourself to only your starting disciplines no matter how many books you go through, or giving all unusual or special weapons unique properties. It's pretty fun!

also: let's check out the tower

Leraika fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 13, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I know there was a mobile game made, and that's probably the same thing, though I haven't played either of them. Haven't heard much good about it.

I don't know if there is any 'darklord script', but that image is in Giak, so I wondered what it actually says:

ORGADAK SHADA
TAAG OKAK-
ORGADAK OK-
NARA EK
ASH JEK EG
HELGEDAD

Near as I can tell from the Giak word list it's something like 'kill the human soldiers, capture the officers, and take them to Helgedad'.

e: The language is Giak, but I don't know what the script is actually called. The same alphabet symbols are seen on some human things, so it's presumably a common one. I imagine it's like the Latin script, with the letters having potentially different sounds in different languages.

As for this section, let's see where that detour goes.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 13, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Take the detour, the watchtower is probably infested with mega ghouls or something.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
This course of actions spared Lone Wolf from a combat with the Helghast, but the young Kai also lost a precious item, almost indispensable in a near future.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
All along the watchtower...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

This course of actions spared Lone Wolf from a combat with the Helghast, but
What is it about this section that's prompting people to keep posting spoilers? Trust me, I will talk about this once we're further along and you can comment on it then.

Kangra posted:

As for this section, let's see where that detour goes.
Into the forest, that's where!

You push on through the dense forest for nearly three hours before you discover a track heading north, running parallel to the Rymerift, whose rushing waters are over one mile deep. In the distance, you spot a bridge that spans the dark water at a narrow point. A small hut with a flat roof has been erected in the centre, on top of which stand two soldiers. A sign points across the bridge.

PORT BAX
Should we attempt to cross the bridge, or keep walking and look for another way to cross?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Those soldiers are probably going to demand a bridge toll and we've already spent enough mandatory money this adventure. Keep walking!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Bridges are for squares, keep on keeping on.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We need to get to Port Bax, and we still have money to spend if these guys demand a toll. Cross the bridge.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Cross the bridge if there is Any trouble we can simply mindblast it

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Keep walkin'

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cross.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

These Kai boots were meant for walkin', and that's just what we'll do.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Cross the streams.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

Keep walkin'

You have walked less than a hundred yards when the track disappears over the edge of a precipice towards the deep waters of the Rymerift below. It is impossible to go on any further in this direction. You will have to return along the path and cross the river at the bridge.

The soldiers quickly descend from the roof of the hut and grab their spears. They advance towards you and one of them shouts, ‘Password, stranger!’

The guards look angry and ready to attack. You will have to think of something quickly.
We don't have any password but we do have 41 Gold Crowns, so we could try to just pay them to look the other way. Or maybe we could show them the Seal of Hammerdal; if they're honest and loyal soldiers of Durenor (and they recognise the Seal) then they should let us pass. Or we could just fight our way past them. What do you think?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Behold, a marine mammal!

(Show them the seal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Preserve our funds and Endurance. Show the Seal!