Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Today's Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-12th-of-september-2017.1043646/

They are re-working the Muslim Piety mechanic. Next week's Dev Diary will be about AQ and QQ.

The .5 republican tradition from the Shia school sounds absurd. I wonder if custom nations will get to pick their school or if it will be assigned randomly on spawning... if they get to pick then multiplayer games that allow CNs are probably going to see a *lot* of that.

oddium posted:

they should canonize the use of "mana" and also "boni/mali"

Bonii and malii, surely. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

If by that you mean shoot the retards who use it with a cannon I'm all for it.
Amen brother.

QuarkJets posted:

There's still a custom nation exploit that effectively gives you infinite custom nation points, by setting your "spent" point total to a large negative number. So you could just go that route and give yourself a bunch of provinces early on, or a huge starting income to make immediate early mass colonization viable
Oh thats good to know. I'm not sure if I have the effort to bother with For Odin! or First Come, First Served right now but I may have to give that a look. I have a Victorian Three game up to like 1750 and I havent had the effort to launch the game and just sit there on max speed to get it over with.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Needs to be one i, so that we can have a achievement to accumulate a series of improbable boni while playing as Mali.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 13, 2017

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
What a weird crash that happened in my ironman game right after my ally Poland separate peaced out of this defensive war against Muscowy. I should probably submit a bug report.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Xinder posted:

What a weird crash that happened in my ironman game right after my ally Poland separate peaced out of this defensive war against Muscowy. I should probably submit a bug report.

Yeah losing wars or having a 6/5/5 heir die tends to make the game suddenly and inexplicably crash :v:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

um johan? i think some people are violating the sanctity of iron man mode

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Here at Dev Diary number 28 we're really happy to unveil our newest feature: daily, mandatory autosaves.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
SAM never cared, lol @ cheevo sanctity.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Here at Dev Diary number 28 we're really happy to unveil our newest feature: daily, mandatory autosaves.

We've been listening to your complaints about the daily autosaves in our beta patch, so we're rolling it back to weekly mandatory autosaves.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

Some would say that the "wiping your entire hard drive" feature is unnecessary, but that's just what the game really needed.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Boot.ini is enough, can leave the rest untouched.

New achievements haven't been presented yet have they? Not got many fun ones left to do except for the Hormuz one which I want to wait a patch.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

Boot.ini is enough, can leave the rest untouched.

New achievements haven't been presented yet have they? Not got many fun ones left to do except for the Hormuz one which I want to wait a patch.

Achievements are usually the last dev diary they do before the patch/DLC drops.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Arrhythmia posted:

We've been listening to your complaints about the daily autosaves in our beta patch, so we're rolling it back to weekly mandatory autosaves.

After careful consideration of your continued complaints, we're proud to introduce the new, mandatory hourly autosave feature.

And to those who disagree with our DLC policy, don't worry; this new feature is part of the free patch.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Don't be silly. Saving to disk every in-game day would be very inconvenient for people with slow HDDs. Which is why next patch is simply converting EU4 to an always-on client/server model.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That was Ironman CK2 at the beginning. Ghastly.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Reading all the above:

Playstation 4 posted:

Seriously, loving Why

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'd usually not like to do stuff like that but sometimes losing a run i've sunk 15 hours into because of a bad ai ally alters my idea of "chievo honor".

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Has there been any word on when the new patch/DLC is gonna drop?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Technowolf posted:

I don't think so but they usually announce it about a month in advance.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Technowolf posted:

Please be patient it takes a little time to balance the three new scaling modifiers. Paradox wants to make your bar-filling experience as fun and engaging as possible.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
What ideas do you all like for super blobby games? I'm playing as Spain, in the process of annexing my junior partner England and slowly conquering my way (via terrible Press Claim CB) into India and Asia. I already have Administrative, Exploration, Influence, and Quantity and I'm coming up on the tech level 18 idea. I have basically zero money worries because I control a lot of the world's trade nodes and will have even more once I'm done annexing England, the only other colonial power in the game. I'm not really having issues with unrest right now because I have armies in all my highest unrest areas, and the Spanish ideas are giving me enough missionary power to keep up with annexation (for now).

Religious is looking mighty tempting just for Deus Vult, but it's so late in the idea group that I'm probably going to be at or near Imperialism by the time I finish it. I'm going to pick up Offensive eventually for when I finally bring the conquest back to the Euro zone but right now I'm just interested in expanding into Asia and India as quickly as possible.

Something else that might be worth mentioning is that annexing England has cost ~3000 diplo points, so I'd rather not pick up another Diplo idea just yet until I've had a chance to catch up on tech and ideas.

Thanks y'all! This is my first game and it's a lot of fun.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

admin + influence i think have an admin policy that reduces diplo annex by a further 20%

anyway you can probably ditch exploration now as well and maybe take defensive for less attrition in the india jungles. even if you're not struggling with rebels Humanist can help bring down unrest far enough to start lowering autonomy, which means more money + manpower + absolutism

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

oddium posted:

admin + influence i think have an admin policy that reduces diplo annex by a further 20%

anyway you can probably ditch exploration now as well and maybe take defensive for less attrition in the india jungles. even if you're not struggling with rebels Humanist can help bring down unrest far enough to start lowering autonomy, which means more money + manpower + absolutism

Yeah, I'm working my way towards that, but I'll be done annexing England before I have the diplo points for it. Trading in ivory turned out to be a bit of a mixed blessing by raising my diplomatic reputation, sending the amount of diplo points I spend towards annexation in a month way up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Playstation 4 posted:

I've always felt blessed that I wasn't born with the achievement gene. :lol:

I pretty much just play for fun, don't try for achievements in any game, and view all the drama with a bemused confusion.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Fintilgin posted:

I pretty much just play for fun, don't try for achievements in any game, and view all the drama with a bemused confusion.

Achievements can be fun to go for.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

I usually use them to pick goals in campaigns. I usually don't really care about getting the actual achievement itself by the end, though.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Do achievement objectives in not-Ironman so you can disable lucky nations and use SAM to give yourself the ones you earn just as a checklist

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
But achievements don't work when I use a custom nation in a totally randomized world! :confused:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
After about a billion attempts, my timurids are finally one province away from becoming Mughals! I'm so anxious.

Problem is, that province is Central Doab, owned by Jaunpur, who is in a decent spot and allied with a strong Bahmanis, as well as other indian locals. My military is kinda crap from tech lag and lousy rulers, and Ottomans are encroaching. It's 1482. Worse, it seems every ally I get is 400 gold in debt and they never, ever join wars.

Part of me wants to just take a crapton of loans and go for it, but since it's been a while since I had a decent Timurids run, I'm loathe to waste a good chance. What is the 'time limit' for forming Mughal before it starts really harming your long-term prospects? Maybe if I wait some years I can break some of his alliances, or wait until a big war has them busy....

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

just call me chester chievo causes trophs/achies rule

e: cheev marin

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sephyr posted:

After about a billion attempts, my timurids are finally one province away from becoming Mughals! I'm so anxious.

Problem is, that province is Central Doab, owned by Jaunpur, who is in a decent spot and allied with a strong Bahmanis, as well as other indian locals. My military is kinda crap from tech lag and lousy rulers, and Ottomans are encroaching. It's 1482. Worse, it seems every ally I get is 400 gold in debt and they never, ever join wars.

Part of me wants to just take a crapton of loans and go for it, but since it's been a while since I had a decent Timurids run, I'm loathe to waste a good chance. What is the 'time limit' for forming Mughal before it starts really harming your long-term prospects? Maybe if I wait some years I can break some of his alliances, or wait until a big war has them busy....

ASAP, it's never too early to form Mughals and they take a little while to become particularly strong. As Timurids you know you've left it too long when your nation loving explodes -- it might be okay till 1500, and there's always a pretty good chance of alliances getting broken in India, but the longer you leave it the more risk you run of encountering a deadly combination of any number of debt, corruption, low manpower, low religious unity, close-fought war and low horde unity that sends you over the edge. If you have a chance of mercing up and taking them in a straight fight, I'd recommend luring their armies into a mountain ambush or two and seeing if you can get enough of an edge from that to snag the province. You don't need to conclusively defeat them right away after all, there's the whole rest of the game for that.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

oddium posted:

you can ditch exploration

:stare:

No, I don't have hundreds of hours on this game, certainly not.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

skasion posted:

ASAP, it's never too early to form Mughals and they take a little while to become particularly strong. As Timurids you know you've left it too long when your nation loving explodes -- it might be okay till 1500, and there's always a pretty good chance of alliances getting broken in India, but the longer you leave it the more risk you run of encountering a deadly combination of any number of debt, corruption, low manpower, low religious unity, close-fought war and low horde unity that sends you over the edge. If you have a chance of mercing up and taking them in a straight fight, I'd recommend luring their armies into a mountain ambush or two and seeing if you can get enough of an edge from that to snag the province. You don't need to conclusively defeat them right away after all, there's the whole rest of the game for that.

Definitely don't lure anyone into a mountain ambush with horde armies since they get huge penalties for fighting in non-flat terrain, that's how I hosed up my first few Timurid attempts from not know that mechanic. Fight them as an attacker in the plains with lots of cav to take advantage of that horde bonus and you can take on an army twice as big as your own

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It's a bit of a cruel jokes on Timurids to get good bonuses on flat terrain when their turf is basically one massive mountain range. I can't wait to be able to focus on Mamluks and all that sweet, sweet flatland....

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
IIRC even with the horde terrain shock penalty nomadic units still have better shock damage than low tech Indian units, and will still benefit from the standard penalty to attackers. It definitely works, if you can chase down individual armies in the North Indian farmlands that would probably work too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fintilgin posted:

But achievements don't work when I use a custom nation in a totally randomized world! :confused:

Quoting myself to point out that the randomized nations function needs a button you can push that will assign you a random 200 point nation somewhere in the world with random ideas and size and such.

Just push that button and the game boots up and dumps you in a surprise nation in a surprise world.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sephyr posted:

It's a bit of a cruel jokes on Timurids to get good bonuses on flat terrain when their turf is basically one massive mountain range. I can't wait to be able to focus on Mamluks and all that sweet, sweet flatland....

Luckily they fixed that next patch! (Timurids, QQ and AQ are all no longer hordes, thank gently caress - this has always been a huge annoyance from a historical perspective)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Luckily they fixed that next patch! (Timurids, QQ and AQ are all no longer hordes, thank gently caress - this has always been a huge annoyance from a historical perspective)
Yeah I am really looking forward to the next DD to see what they are doing with QQ and AQ.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

After my own attempts at playing QQ I can only think of them as :qq:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Sephyr posted:

If you're having trouble I reco.mend trying it out in a non-ironman game or two first. Admittedly I don't have much to go on but it looks like you're losing a lot of manpower in your wars and aren't razing provinces you capture. Definitely raze, as you need the mp for techs and the reduced admin costs for coring. As far as fighting goes you want to avoid doing it in your own lands and fight on the flat Northern Indian terrain. Also don't forget to outflank(aka have more units in your armies) because that can easily cause stackwipes in the early years.

• Locked thread