Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rick posted:

According to the piece he does give little kids balls. I mean unless they're just trying to make him look good.

That's always his excuse whenever he gets caught plowing over some 8-year old for a batting practice ball.

I've mentioned it before but the guy crashed into my girlfriend in the bleachers years ago going for a batting practice homer. It was him and a couple of little kids going for these balls before the game and the kids were the one's with enough common sense not to dive into other people to catch these balls. He's pathetic and I hope he leans too far over a railing one day.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

this is loving amazing

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Is Rembert Browne one of the guys who was supposed to be great at Grantland? His new Kaepernick piece was soooooooo long and meandering that I skimmed the entire back end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Is Rembert Browne one of the guys who was supposed to be great at Grantland? His new Kaepernick piece was soooooooo long and meandering that I skimmed the entire back end.

He was a Grantland guy but opinions on him are mixed. I generally liked him but didn't read much longform of his. At least one poster in this thread can't stand him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I always liked Rembert but longform stuff is not really anything I think I'd wanna read from him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's a good writer but could maybe use an editor occasionally. Like his Ferguson piece was mostly very good but also at least like 20% about him trying to charge his phone

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This isn't sports, but Jonathan Abrams from Grantland is writing a full length Oral History of the Wire that comes out in February.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best Rembert piece is the one about Nicki Minaj at a bar mitzvah

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I like the one where he went on a road trip but I honestly cannot remember anything else he's written

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

sportsgenius86 posted:

This isn't sports, but Jonathan Abrams from Grantland is writing a full length Oral History of the Wire that comes out in February.

Simmons is going to freak the gently caress out

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Abrams owns but like, do we really need an oral history for The Wire? The show isn't even 10 years old and everything surrounding it seemed candid enough to not warrant one. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's writing an oral history ?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

He's writing an oral history ?

It's when someone records vocal interviews with people and then writes down the quotes.

A history as told in speech, but written down.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Akileese posted:

Abrams owns but like, do we really need an oral history for The Wire? The show isn't even 10 years old and everything surrounding it seemed candid enough to not warrant one. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

It's 15 years old. I'm assuming you mean 10 years gone.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Pitch: an oral history of Homicide life on the street being better than the wire

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hot take: oral histories are dumb and 90% of the time it would be better if the reporter just wrote an article

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's 15 years old. I'm assuming you mean 10 years gone.

Yeah my bad. I still don't know if it warrants an oral history though. There's enough interviews with the cast, crew, and creators where I feel like it's not really necessary.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

hot take: oral histories are dumb and 90% of the time it would be better if the reporter just wrote an article

If the person who does them sucks at them yes. James Andrew Miller has mastered it and is extremely good at piecing them together to tell a coherent story.

I have faith in Abrams on this. I also think part of this new book goes in depth about how it changed tv and the impact it has had but I don't know for sure.

Oral Histories work better as longer books than as magazine articles or web content because it's hard to tell a fascinating story with nothing but quotes when you have a limited word count. They always come off as a string of random quotes rapidly trying to explain something.

If you haven't read Live From New York or These Guys Have All The Fun, they're both very good.

Also, Miller is taking his oral history work to podcast form and has a new podcast called Origins. The first set is 5 one hour eps on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah this. They always read so disjointed and have no flow. Either write an article or make a little video story.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Without oral histories we would never know about the time Kevin Garnett headbutted a hole in a wall because he was so psyched up from a Making the Band episode

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Without oral histories we would never know about the time Kevin Garnett headbutted a hole in a wall because he was so psyched up from a Making the Band episode

Oral histories are fine for things like this, or lesser known stuff.

A show as big as the loving Wire does not need an oral history.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Oral histories, as a form, have a lot to recommend them. But most of them time when I read one I get the sense that the writer is using it as a shortcut - just dumping the contents of their interview notebooks verbatim, sorting them into a rough order, and heading out early for happy hour.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Oral histories are fine for things like this, or lesser known stuff.

A show as big as the loving Wire does not need an oral history.
How about an oral history of Cop Rock

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
An oral history of The Wire seems like it'd work fine, David Simon can talk for days and that gives you the spine to hang a bunch of jokes and anecdotes on. Nothing's worse than a poorly written or forced one, though

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

How about an oral history of Cop Rock

http://tv.avclub.com/an-oral-history-of-cop-rock-tv-s-first-and-last-musica-1798248164

It's a pretty fun read, I feel.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Loose Balls is a goddamn masterwork

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

chunkles posted:

Cannot stress this enough.

It's a phenomenal book.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

chunkles posted:

It contains the Marvin Barnes Time Machine anecdote, which might be one of the greatest stories ever told.
Holy :lol: I didn't know one was actually done.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Counterpoint: https://www.twinkietown.com/2013/1/4/3833034/an-oral-history-of-nick-punto-sliding-headfirst-into-first-base

This, admittedly, is very well written regardless, but I don't think it would work without the oral history format.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
DO you guys not remember the NBA Jam oral history? It was the best.

https://www.si.com/longform/2017/nba-jam-oral-history/index.html

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If we're doing this, the oral history of the Malice at the Palace is pretty much the definitive narrative:
http://grantland.com/features/an-oral-history-malice-palace/

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
What is the loving deal with sports writers and The Wire?

I get it, 10/10 show GOAT etc, but literally no other kind of journalism goes hog wild on the wires wild hog like sports journalism. Hell not even entertainment journalism brings it up except in reference to new HBO shows in the works.

There are like 2 instances of sport in the whole show, some pickup ball and Cutty's boxing gym that's it. I realize it's one of the only shows to actually communicate a true feeling urban environment and that resonates with a lot of black athletes but that resonates with all POC that grew up in big cities.

Or is this just Bill Simmons fuckin mealy mouthed inspiration?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Everyone liked the wire so writing about it is an easy way to get clicks. See also: "How Game of Thrones is like [thing]"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lockback posted:

If we're doing this, the oral history of the Malice at the Palace is pretty much the definitive narrative:
http://grantland.com/features/an-oral-history-malice-palace/

Does it have to be a real oral history to count? Because every couple of years I read Spencer Hall's thing about when the Big 12 almost died again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SI has a very good one about That weird rear end trip WCW took to North Korea in 1995

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Captain Internet posted:

What is the loving deal with sports writers and The Wire?

I get it, 10/10 show GOAT etc, but literally no other kind of journalism goes hog wild on the wires wild hog like sports journalism. Hell not even entertainment journalism brings it up except in reference to new HBO shows in the works.

There are like 2 instances of sport in the whole show, some pickup ball and Cutty's boxing gym that's it. I realize it's one of the only shows to actually communicate a true feeling urban environment and that resonates with a lot of black athletes but that resonates with all POC that grew up in big cities.

Or is this just Bill Simmons fuckin mealy mouthed inspiration?

Nah man, McNulty and Bunk go to an Orioles game with his kid and see his ex-wife sitting behind home plate with her new boyfriend. I think there's another Orioles game maybe in the season about the school district? Could be wrong about that one.

Either way, I completely agree. It is one of the greatest shows of all time, but holy hell with how much more attention it gets, it is not that much better than like, the Sopranos or Breaking Bad. People talked about the Sopranos a lot when it was on, and nobody talked about the Wire when it was on. Now nobody talks about the Sopranos anymore and everybody talks about the Wire.

Speaking of which, not sports related but the Wire and Sopranos related: Sean O'Neal at The A.V. Club had a great article on Monday about HBO dramas in the aftermath of 9/11

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Lefty political journalists love to talk about the Sopranos

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

FMguru posted:

Oral histories, as a form, have a lot to recommend them. But most of them time when I read one I get the sense that the writer is using it as a shortcut - just dumping the contents of their interview notebooks verbatim, sorting them into a rough order, and heading out early for happy hour.

Yep, they usually strike me as either half-assed or unnecessary (e.g. "This thing doesn't actually merit a story, so let's just dump a bunch of quotes and call it a day!"). I hate oral histories and resent how much more common they've become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
A decent read about ESPN's new sportscenter, the six.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/9/13/16299136/jemele-hill-espn-michael-smith-sportscenter-the-six