Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

J
Jun 10, 2001

Also don't tunnel vision on your chaos orb count and ignore all the other currency you're gaining. That stuff has value too and can be converted into chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

J posted:

Also don't tunnel vision on your chaos orb count and ignore all the other currency you're gaining. That stuff has value too and can be converted into chaos.

i discovered currency cop yesterday: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1989935

it found me ~60c worth of random currency that i turned into chaos that helped me get my bisco's

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttgcu01Ffwo

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Thank you for the replies--and drat, currency cop is swank. I've gone from thinking I was on 20 - 30c and some change to apparently having 284c worth of changeable currency. Should I flip a chunk of that for a bisco, then?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

the answer to "should i get a bisco?" is always yes unless you are doing endgame bosses, bisco helps with that because you are forced to gear around having no stats in your neck and all the money from the bisco lets you slot in a full dps neck

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

lamentable dustman posted:

the answer to "should i get a bisco?" is always yes unless you are doing endgame bosses, bisco helps with that because you are forced to gear around having no stats in your neck and all the money from the bisco lets you slot in a full dps neck

Thank you again; I think I -should- be relatively decent having to sub out my current amulet (I've got a Carnage Heart there) though it'll drop resistances 15% and I'm uncertain how much the drop to leech will affect survivability on top of that. I'm sure I'm due for beefing up my jewels though, the ones I got were generally 3-5c 'good enough' holders that mostly prioritized getting extra mana leech off physical so I could cyclone forever.

For the process of currency converting, given that I've generally been hands-off on all the 'higher end' currencies in general (I've spent shitloads of chromatic / jeweler / fusing orbs generally, but never touch chaos and up.) do you have recommendations of what I should liquidate vs. hold on to from this lot?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

enjoy biscos now because there is no way in hell that isn't getting dumpstered next league

its crazy how when it had no variable rolls it wasn't as popular/expensive as when it could have awful rolls :wtc:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think there was just a lot of inertia leftover from the long period of time where clearspeed always trumped using dedicated MF gear. Bisco's definitely seems to go against GGG's stated philosophy in the last that they don't want people to feel like they have to use MF gear.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Stangg posted:

I'm not actually sure it's worth any more than you paid, if that. It's only barely better than a Piscators, and piscators is better with a rare shield/esh's mirror.

I'm not expert on the wander's market but I wouldn't buy this as an upgrade to Piscator's, it's also not an ideal base.

I compared this on pob to piscator's and with my current setup it's like a 10k barrage dps difference so I guess the lesson to take away from this is that I really need to upgrade the rest of my gear first.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I paid for a 6l QOTF using random currency I had laying around - everyone is definitely not as poor as they think they are. If you've been mapping and have a fairly decent stock of jewelers, chromes, fuses, ancients, regals, divine, harbingers, etc - sell that poo poo. I was ignoring it because I was like "2 fusings only gets me one chaos, that doesn't seem like worth the effort" but then I realized I had 100 of them. Same goes for all other currency.

Currency cop is an awesome find - it made me realize how much money I have on standard. RIP.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It triggers my antivirus and I cbf to work around it but yes, liquidizing currency to chaos or exalts is definitely really lucrative. For example just 6 ancient orbs is already pretty much an exalt.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

drat son, can you post a link or pob? that sounds stupid, and also, fun as gently caress

Unfortunately it's more stupid than I expected. Fortify doesn't work on triggered skills and I misread the blind duration as the chance, so blind is near useless on vengeance. I'm thinking I just put ball lightning on a CWDT trigger but considering the stupid way this game handles crit, I'm not hopeful that will actually make blind work. We'll see!

I also need to find a good way to get fortify back into the mix. Right now I'm toying with a flame dash->flicker strike combo (flame dash is for the extra attack damage) but it feels really awkward to use.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
Anyone mind looking over my crap and tell me what to do to improve my boss DPS? I'm progressing through maps by the grace of gstash but I'm quickly approaching a wall. I can clear trash mobs pretty easily but bosses are a slog. I imagine it's a combination of inefficient skill choices and gear but this is the furthest I've ever been in the game so it's all new territory. I can hardly believe my build has made it this far as is. I can reliably do up to tier 5-7 maps for reference.

I know my gear is bad. Getting more health and keeping up resistances while having slots I need is a giant pain.

Fernando

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Swap your gloves and shield for rares with life and resists, buy a better rare one-hander and get a second wildfire jewel.

e: oh and swap out ice bite for like uh melee phys or something.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

GaistHeidegger posted:

I am baffled as to how someone ends up getting from the 'kicking around 10 - 30 chaos orbs' to 'I'm sitting on thousands of chaos orbs to fool around with' stage, having played off and on since the game's release. I got pretty into this update with the new act structure and whatnot and have gotten a slayer to 80 where I'm cruising through maps and working my way up the atlas--but I still only really 'trickle' currency.

Along the way I've spent probably 50c or so cherry-picking upgrades for flasks and other gear and am sitting fairly cozily at capped resistances and a roughly 4.5k life / 40k dps cyclone setup; apart from the occasional surprise one-shot from surprise sources (though I've long since stopped opening boxes that freeze upon activation) I have enough life and mana leech going that I've been pretty much steamrolling things pretty quickly to where I only occasionally even need to use flasks.

I know that continuing to upgrade gear is generally going to be the path ahead, even if I haven't yet hit any roadblocks map-wise I'm up to T8 so far and climbing and know that'll change. Mostly I'm just circling on fairly slow but steady currency acquisition; relatively garbage uniques are dropping constantly, I'll average a chaos orb per map / every other map with various other fusing / etc. dropping and I've now taken to actively vendor recipe turning drops into chaos and regal orbs--but it feels like I'm never going to dent the cost of getting actual top end gear that'll crank things to 11.

For me it was starting the league by dumping all junky jewelry into a stash tab after level 60 and then dumping all junky armors and weapons into another stash tab and then jamming them together when I had enough of them to get some basic chaos to work with.

After that it was having poe.trade notify me when someone put up a decent ring for a low price, offering the guy a extra 5-10 chaos then what he underpriced it for to beat the other 20 people messaging him, then either using the ring or relisting it for a massive profit.

Letting poe.trade notify you when someone underprices a upgrade for you can be handy for getting cheap upgrades you'd have to pay much more for after the flippers notice it.

After gearing up enough to farm uberlab on good days I could make plenty of chaos each run by selling the 20% quality gems for popular skills and making GCP out of the rest, with occasional bursts of money from amazing enchants and drops.

After awhile you'll want to stop selling items at 1c or less since it will interupt your map farming which will probably get you a chaos worth of currency in the time it takes you to leave the map and sell it.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Bisco's has to be the best item in the game so we can all remember what a good dog Bisco was.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For me it was starting the league by dumping all junky jewelry into a stash tab after level 60 and then dumping all junky armors and weapons into another stash tab and then jamming them together when I had enough of them to get some basic chaos to work with.

After that it was having poe.trade notify me when someone put up a decent ring for a low price, offering the guy a extra 5-10 chaos then what he underpriced it for to beat the other 20 people messaging him, then either using the ring or relisting it for a massive profit.

Letting poe.trade notify you when someone underprices a upgrade for you can be handy for getting cheap upgrades you'd have to pay much more for after the flippers notice it.

After gearing up enough to farm uberlab on good days I could make plenty of chaos each run by selling the 20% quality gems for popular skills and making GCP out of the rest, with occasional bursts of money from amazing enchants and drops.

After awhile you'll want to stop selling items at 1c or less since it will interupt your map farming which will probably get you a chaos worth of currency in the time it takes you to leave the map and sell it.

Couldn't you move all your valuables to another account and list them using the alt account so you can map on 1 screen trade on the other? I'm not sure of account restrictions, but I know it was okay to self mule in beta.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
On efficiency chat, the biggest thing for me was getting into a rhythm while mapping. I alch 5 maps at a time and only pick up jewellery, currency, and 6s items so when I leave a map, my process is to drop the next map in the device, activate it, vendor whatever 6s i got, and then hammer on the portal as soon as it pops up. Once you get the hang of it, you should have less than 5 seconds of downtime per map, except when you finish your set of five and clear out your inventory (even that should only take a minute). If you can afford a quad tab for dumping, you can go even faster and just dump everything in there at the end of your set and price/sort it at the end of the night.

pixaal posted:

Couldn't you move all your valuables to another account and list them using the alt account so you can map on 1 screen trade on the other? I'm not sure of account restrictions, but I know it was okay to self mule in beta.

It's allowed, but the part that slows down your mapping is the actual trading, not the zoning in/out of the map.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey mechanics question. Increased life leech (either through damage, additional damage leeched as life, or increased leech per second) eventually caps out at a certain % of life (assuming no instant leech); and thus beyond a certain point isn't worth investing more in. As a Slayer with 'leech not removed at full life', will increased leech extend the duration of leech effects?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I just used Currency Cop and I'm apparently worth 645c. Gonna see about converting that into a 6L Lioneye's glare or something.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Just got timed out suddenly and there is a queue to log back in.

edit: Yep RIP servers.

nerox fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 13, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was about done with an 8 key lab run too :(

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It turns out a dude named VA_Harbinger apparently owns almost all of the 350+ DPS 6L Lioneye's Glares r/n

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Hey mechanics question. Increased life leech (either through damage, additional damage leeched as life, or increased leech per second) eventually caps out at a certain % of life (assuming no instant leech); and thus beyond a certain point isn't worth investing more in. As a Slayer with 'leech not removed at full life', will increased leech extend the duration of leech effects?

Assuming no VP:
Each leech instance is 2% per second base. This lasts as long as the leech instance still has life to pay out. Increased leech per second applies to the 2% while keeping the duration the same, which means it's faster leech and more total leech. Having a bigger leech percentage will only increase the total leech, which means each instance lasts longer. The leech cap is 20% per second base, this means ten instances of leech with no increased leech per second will hit the cap and further leech instances will count down their duration yet not heal you until previous instances expire. Faster attacks will hit the leech cap faster, while more damage per hit will let the leech continue for a longer time period after you stop attacking. By default, leech stops cold when you reach full hp, deleting all leech instances. This means you start with an empty leech stack after you lose more life, needing to get several hits in before you can reach the leech cap again. Slayer removes that mechanic and just lets them time out naturally, which means Slayer leech acts more like regeneration so long as you keep your leech instances up. There's also a weird unique belt that allows leech to spill over into your energy shield pool, while mostly keeping your ES empty.

If you have VP:
Increased leech per second does nothing, neither does increased leech cap because there is no cap. If you want more leech, you get higher leech percentage.

As a side note, The Retch's damage is also far more effective with Slayer Leech, with or without VP. This is because without Endless Hunger, The Retch will only count leech that heals you up to your max hp-- you have to be damaged for it to deal damage.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 13, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Hey goons I am a stupid fucker. I would like to make a CI character with a chaos damage skill that's focused around bossing. So far I've figured Death's Oath might be a good armor, and to grab every ES node ever. Any suggestions?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

It turns out a dude named VA_Harbinger apparently owns almost all of the 350+ DPS 6L Lioneye's Glares r/n

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/__Achiles__/characters

lmao check out his profile, he has more money than god

edit: oh let's see how many things he has on the AH

yep that's about what I expected

mbt fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 13, 2017

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

McFrugal posted:

Assuming no VP:
Each leech instance is 2% per second base. This lasts as long as the leech instance still has life to pay out. Increased leech per second applies to the 2% while keeping the duration the same, which means it's faster leech and more total leech. Having a bigger leech percentage will only increase the total leech, which means each instance lasts longer. The leech cap is 20% per second base, this means ten instances of leech with no increased leech per second will hit the cap and further leech instances will count down their duration yet not heal you until previous instances expire. Faster attacks will hit the leech cap faster, while more damage per hit will let the leech continue for a longer time period after you stop attacking. By default, leech stops cold when you reach full hp, deleting all leech instances. This means you start with an empty leech stack after you lose more life, needing to get several hits in before you can reach the leech cap again. Slayer removes that mechanic and just lets them time out naturally, which means Slayer leech acts more like regeneration so long as you keep your leech instances up. There's also a weird unique belt that allows leech to spill over into your energy shield pool, while mostly keeping your ES empty.

If you have VP:
Increased leech per second does nothing, neither does increased leech cap because there is no cap. If you want more leech, you get higher leech percentage.

As a side note, The Retch's damage is also far more effective with Slayer Leech, with or without VP. This is because without Endless Hunger, The Retch will only count leech that heals you up to your max hp-- you have to be damaged for it to deal damage.
also once you get to your leech cap, more leech just speeds up the time it takes to get to leech cqp

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dude basically flips currency and items nonstop from what I can tell so more power to him for apparently actually playing the game as well, he is truly the platonic ideal of PoE

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I uh... had a Lioneye's Glare drop last weekend...

dunno the dps and only has like 2 sockets but still

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Lioneyes is one of those items that is trash at low sockets while still being expensive at 6l unlike items like belly which are still moderately expensive even with bad sockets

I don't actually know why this is a thing come to think of it

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Lioneyes is one of those items that is trash at low sockets while still being expensive at 6l unlike items like belly which are still moderately expensive even with bad sockets

I don't actually know why this is a thing come to think of it

everything with 6l is expensive, lioneye's is pretty common

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Noone in their right mind tries to link a poo poo rolled LG. The really good ones are worth money regardless of sockets, because it has 3 variables that all contribute to the end dps.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

Noone in their right mind tries to link a poo poo rolled LG. The really good ones are worth money regardless of sockets, because it has 3 variables that all contribute to the end dps.

Also the range on the flat damage and attack speed are enormous. The DPS ranges from 260 to 360, it's a massive difference.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I feel lucky that I decided to make a crit LA ranger before Mathil so I got a 5L Opus for like 40c. :v:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Who decided that cast when damage taken should look at a flat life total rather than a percentage? I've been leveling mine and realized Immortal Call hasn't been popping lately, turns out I'd need to take roughly 90% of my life in damage to set it off. Is there a sweet spot I should be aiming for to stop leveling?

Also, I kind of wish INT requirements on gems didn't factor attributes from gear. I overlooked that at leveled my Blasphemy supports and now I will need to start over if I change any gear.

How do I materia?!

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

Who decided that cast when damage taken should look at a flat life total rather than a percentage? I've been leveling mine and realized Immortal Call hasn't been popping lately, turns out I'd need to take roughly 90% of my life in damage to set it off. Is there a sweet spot I should be aiming for to stop leveling?

Everyone typically recommends CWDT 1 & IC 3

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

Also, I kind of wish INT requirements on gems didn't factor attributes from gear. I overlooked that at leveled my Blasphemy supports and now I will need to start over if I change any gear.

How do I materia?!

getting a bunch of int on a rare belt/ring you only have to cap resists is really cheap, though it depends on your tree if this is worth the trouble

I stopped leveling CWDT and links after it got to about half my health, but you could probably just not level it at all since immortal call barely gets anything from levels (like a tenth of a second or something?)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lamentable dustman posted:

while this is true and undoubtedly i'm going to be poorer long term for it, I sold my 95% biscos yesterday (after corrupting it and getting nothing because i'm a dumb rear end in a top hat) because i got really loving tired of having to gear around not having an amulet slot at all times except for high end bosses

it's liberating as hell having that back

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I stopped leveling CWDT and links after it got to about half my health, but you could probably just not level it at all since immortal call barely gets anything from levels (like a tenth of a second or something?)

It gets nothing at all from levels unless you're spending endurance charges, in which case a L20 one will give you about 0.2seconds extra per charge compared to a L1 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

NofrikinfuN posted:

How do I materia?!

If you have utility skills linked to cwdt then typically you keep the cwdt gem at level 1, and the utility skills low enough level to still work with it. If you're a berserker with damage spells linked to it, level the cwdt gem up until it goes off at 15% of your health so it works on every savage hit you take. If you want to downlevel a gem you can vendor it with a scouring orb. If you vendor it with a regret orb it goes back to level 1 but that isn't worth doing when you could just buy another one from the vendor for cheaper.