Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Reaper Man isn't generally regarded in the top tier of Discworld books, but it's a top fiver for me personally.

I've always thought half of Reaper Man is top tier. It's just the Windle Poons stuff drags it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Repo Man is one of the greatest American movies by the by. (It sounds like Reaper Man so it's relevant.)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Xander77 posted:

I don't bother reading his stuff (he never has anything of value to say) but I do occasionally listen to videos of him reading. Like an audio-book with the occasional commentary / reaction.

I gave a couple of his Discworld reviews a shake, and it just seems like he really doesn't enjoy reading Discworld. And also completely misses the point a whole lot.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: And actually two of my personal all time favorite one-off quotes are from Thief of Time, one for pure comedy and the other for funny-because-it's-true value:

Not necessarily in that order, right? :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

cptn_dr posted:

I gave a couple of his Discworld reviews a shake, and it just seems like he really doesn't enjoy reading Discworld. And also completely misses the point a whole lot.

I've read/watched a couple now (I've never heard of the guy before this), I'd disagree that he doesn't enjoy it - although yeah it's a pretty superficial gloss.

And while it's nice he provides trigger warnings for people (although it makes the expected content much worse - a rape warning for a chapter in Witched Abroad - for the sole mention of Greebo doing cat-things), and aims at inclusivity, it's a tad zealous when pointing out that "mad", "idiot", "stupid" are present in the text. And self-censoring the word "crazy", (as "c***y") which gave me pause when I tried to figure out what was "cunty" about something.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

I bought The shepherd's crown the moment it was published, but until last week it sat unread in my kindle. I couldn't get myself to read what would be the last discworld book I could ever read. This week on a holiday I finally pushed myself to do it, fighting tears in the second chapter, finishing the book in two days. It was clearly unfinished, but it was a good way to end the series.

There is a part where I realized that something really bad was going to happen and I honestly considered to stop reading before I got to that.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: And actually two of my personal all time favorite one-off quotes are from Thief of Time, one for pure comedy and the other for funny-because-it's-true value:

One of my favorite Discworld quotes is from Thief of Time too. I remember posting it on Facebook when I heard Pratchett died.

quote:

Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

chiasaur11 posted:

I've always thought half of Reaper Man is top tier. It's just the Windle Poons stuff drags it down.

I recently reread Reaper Man and it has the biggest quality gap between the A and B stories I can think of in Discworld. The parts with Death hit that wonderful mix of funny and touching that Pratchett does so well, but everything with Windle is just a chore to get through. I ended up skipping everything about that plotline once it got to the wizards fighting the shopping carts.

I'm currently on Wyrd Sisters and while I don't care for it that much overall, I did have something of a laughing fit over this. Not exactly the smartest joke out there but it hit my sleep deprived brain just right.

quote:

‘Meat is extremely bad for the digestive system,’ said Magrat. ‘If you could see inside your colon you’d be horrified.’
‘I think I would,’ muttered Hwel.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pesky Splinter posted:

And while it's nice he provides trigger warnings for people (although it makes the expected content much worse - a rape warning for a chapter in Witched Abroad - for the sole mention of Greebo doing cat-things), and aims at inclusivity, it's a tad zealous when pointing out that "mad", "idiot", "stupid" are present in the text. And self-censoring the word "crazy", (as "c***y") which gave me pause when I tried to figure out what was "cunty" about something.
Political correctness gone mad, I tell you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bloom posted:

I recently reread Reaper Man and it has the biggest quality gap between the A and B stories I can think of in Discworld. The parts with Death hit that wonderful mix of funny and touching that Pratchett does so well, but everything with Windle is just a chore to get through. I ended up skipping everything about that plotline once it got to the wizards fighting the shopping carts.

The wizard b-plots are almost always the worst parts of the books they're in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Reaper Man has great highs and is definitely in the upper 1/4 of Disc books.

Alhazred posted:

The wizard b-plots are almost always the worst parts of the books they're in.

The wizard b-plot is the best part of Moving Pictures not named Gaspode.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

So, I'm relatively new to discworld but really loved the first several I read (Equal Rites, Wyrd sisters, Small Gods, Mort) and I kinda wanna branch out. Do I really sacrifice anything by not following the reading order for the arcs? Thinking about jumping to interesting times or masquerade.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

meanolmrcloud posted:

So, I'm relatively new to discworld but really loved the first several I read (Equal Rites, Wyrd sisters, Small Gods, Mort) and I kinda wanna branch out. Do I really sacrifice anything by not following the reading order for the arcs? Thinking about jumping to interesting times or masquerade.

Now that you're already hooked, I recommend just reading everything in published order. With the exception of Small Gods, the published order is also chronological order, and since the different storylines sometimes bleed into one another a bit, it's more satisfying to read them that way in my opinion. Although, if you want to skip stuff, skip The Color Of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, and Faust Eric (the first four books of Rincewind the Wizzard's story) that might be a good idea, they're unquestionably the weakest books in the series (especially the first two, when Pterry was still working out what he was doing with the series) (I still love 'em though). At the very least, I would definitely recommend reading each sub-series in order; not only will jumping around spoil you on some of the events of earlier books, but you'll miss out on a lot of character development that makes the books richer. If Interesting Times and Maskerade happen to be the ones you have available at the moment, read Interesting Times (the fifth Rincewind book), and work on acquiring Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies to lead into Maskerade if you can.

If you do read Interesting Times, be aware that it is more or less a continuation of the storyline of The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic, but all you really need to know is (minor spoilers for The Color of Magic) Rincewind had some weird-rear end adventures with the Discworld equivalent of a stereotypical Japanese tourist, during which he acquired a sentient suitcase that trundles around on hundreds of tiny legs and eats people.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

I'd recommend against Night Watch being your first in the Watch series, as I think it's more effective if you're already familiar with the characters, but that aside you can honestly read them in any order.
There's character continuity, but no real arcs or plot that requires reading them in order - each book is a self-contained story.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The wizards get better the further away they are from being the B-plot.

(Partly this is because Pratchett generally repeats everybody's basic joke beats for new readers, so the less someone appears in a book, the more repetitive their performance is.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

precision posted:

The wizard b-plot is the best part of Moving Pictures not named Gaspode.
Their little bits in Soul Music aren't awful but I think I'm just biased because both "BORN TO RUNE" and "BORN TO LIVE FATS DIE YO GNU" make me laugh every time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Nah reading order doesn't matter at all in anything except maybe the Tiffany Aching books.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Their little bits in Soul Music aren't awful but I think I'm just biased because both "BORN TO RUNE" and "BORN TO LIVE FATS DIE YO GNU" make me laugh every time.

BORN TO EAT BIG DINNERS

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As far as reading order I would vaguely advise reading the internal storylines in their respective order, but if you don't it doesn't really matter.

So:

DEATH:
Mort
Reaper Man
Soul Music
Thief of Time

WITCHES
Equal Rites
Wyrd Sisters
Witches Abroad
Lords and Ladies
Maskerade
Carpe Jugulum
The Wee Free Men
A Hat Made of Sky
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight
The Shepherd's Crown

CITY WATCH:
Guards! Guards!
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch
Thud!
Snuff

RINCEWIND
The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Sourcery
[strike]Faust[/strike] Eric
Interesting Times
The Last Continent

MOIST VON LIPWIG
Going Postal
Making Money
Raising Steam

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm an advocate of publication order, insofar as I'm an advocate of telling anyone how to read anything. If you mainline a series, or two or three in succession, you get a much increased focus on character development but the sense of how the setting itself is evolving, and how TP evolved as a writer, is almost completely lost. Publication order preserves the sense of the evolution of the setting and you lose very little of the character development.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Rand Brittain posted:

As far as reading order I would vaguely advise reading the internal storylines in their respective order, but if you don't it doesn't really matter.

So:

DEATH:
Mort
Reaper Man
Soul Music
Hogfather
Thief of Time

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've read/watched a couple now (I've never heard of the guy before this), I'd disagree that he doesn't enjoy it - although yeah it's a pretty superficial gloss.

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

yeah

"what if a zombie was defending himself against malls" would probably make for a decent photoshop thread, but not a half a book

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah

"what if a zombie was defending himself against malls" would probably make for a decent photoshop thread, but not a half a book

And they're so disconnected, too. Like, they share an inciting incident, and DEATH shows up again at the end. That's it.

Yes, it's said the shopping mall thing is from DEATH being on holiday, supposedly, but there's plenty of things like that mess when he's around, too. It's weird.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

So:

DEATH:
Mort
Reaper Man
Soul Music
Thief of Time

Those are all stand-alone, so reading order is optional

Rand Brittain posted:

WITCHES
Equal Rites
Wyrd Sisters
Witches Abroad
Lords and Ladies
Maskerade
Carpe Jugulum
The Wee Free Men
A Hat Made of Sky
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight
The Shepherd's Crown

First, Tiffany Aching should be considered its own series and is more of YA.
Equal Rites is stand-alone.

Rand Brittain posted:

CITY WATCH:
Guards! Guards!
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch
Thud!
Snuff

No issue here.
Also, why the hell does people keep on insisting they should start reading at Night Watch?
The drop in quality in this series happens in Jingo.

Rand Brittain posted:

RINCEWIND
The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Sourcery
[strike]Faust[/strike] Eric
Interesting Times
The Last Continent
With the exception of Colour and Light, they should all be considered stand-alone.
Mostly since the rest of them starts with RinceWind appearing out of existence in weird places.

Rand Brittain posted:

MOIST VON LIPWIG
Going Postal
Making Money
Raising Steam

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I really don’t know why people advocate for weird reading order type poo poo. Just read them in the order they came out... Like any book series. You know because that’s the order they were released...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

[quote="Bum the Sad" post="476353808"]
I really don’t know why people advocate for weird reading order type poo poo. Just read them in the order they came out... Like any book series. You know because that’s the order they were released...
[/quit]

Most people who have read any long "series"* of books did not read them in order. They started with whichever one they happened to pick up (very likely the newest one) at a book store and then from there who knows.

I'm not advocating one way or another but there's nothing "normal" about reading a bunch of non-serial* books from what, four different decades?, in publishing order.

*) The Discworld novels are not a series in the way that poo poo like Eddings where they literally leave you with a "To be continued..." every volume.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
start with mort and from that on continue reading them in order, then read the first books

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

“Jerry Cotton” posted:

Farts
I understand what you are saying but most people asking for how to read them probably haven’t started or maybe just read one.

I just decided hey I’m gonna start reading this nerd poo poo one day and picked up the first four at B&N.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Read them in alphabetical order imo.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dirty Frank posted:

Read them in alphabetical order imo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I recommend reading them in reverse order by length.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
Read his short story in Legends: Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy, then stop.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Segway Rave posted:

Read his short story in Legends: Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy, then stop.
That's the one with Granny and the yearly witches' competition, right?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's godsdamn amazing too.

Publication order starting with Mort is maybe the best way, but there's a lot to be said for reading them in whatever order you're able to get them after borrowing one in the middle from your English teacher and then finding out you can't easily get the rest, so you buy the ones you can and dream about the ones you can't and also print out the entirety of Pyramids on the school printer when no ones paying attention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Sea and Little Fishes, yeah.

I just had to pick up my chapbook again and flick through it. Reading "A Little Advice For Life" will never stop making me smile and feel sad.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Publication order it is! Thanks all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jerry Cotton posted:

[quote="Bum the Sad" post="476353808"]
[/quit]

Most people who have read any long "series"* of books did not read them in order. They started with whichever one they happened to pick up (very likely the newest one) at a book store and then from there who knows.

I'm not advocating one way or another but there's nothing "normal" about reading a bunch of non-serial* books from what, four different decades?, in publishing order.

*) The Discworld novels are not a series in the way that poo poo like Eddings where they literally leave you with a "To be continued..." every volume.

At least in Eddings' case his series were only series because doorstoppers weren't seen as viable in the early 1980's. I think it did him a service, though, as his attempt to do the whole story in a single book with The Redemption of Althalus came off as rushed and much less polished.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I know Night Watch is usually the winner by acclamation but I will go to my grave believing that Small Gods was the absolute peak of Discworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I know Night Watch is usually the winner by acclamation but I will go to my grave believing that Small Gods was the absolute peak of Discworld

They're my top two and I can never decide what order they should be in.