Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

For me, higher end DSLRs seem to be built like tanks. While weather sealing on the mirrorless seems to be terrible or still need improvement compare to DSLR. I've seen the X-Pro2 failing after shooting in light rain with a WR rated lens.

In another instance the light rain killed A7R2's rear LCD. But the 5D3 on other shoulder kept on working.
The repair cost for the Sony was more than 400 bucks too.

And there's always the joke of "if you are getting robbed, use your 1D series camera as a bludgeoning weapon then take photos of the robber's body afterwards."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Encrypted posted:

For me, higher end DSLRs seem to be built like tanks. While weather sealing on the mirrorless seems to be terrible or still need improvement compare to DSLR. I've seen the X-Pro2 failing after shooting in light rain with a WR rated lens.

Having a weather/splash resistant lens doesn't automatically make the body weather resistant though.

Unless the XPro2 is listed as such but I didn't think it was.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The times I've been asked if my Fuji was film camera outnumber the times I've seen another Fuji in the wild probably 10:1.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Huxley posted:

The times I've been asked if my Fuji was film camera outnumber the times I've seen another Fuji in the wild probably 10:1.

I had the same thing happen the other day. I was super confused at first, being new to this whole photography thing.

"Oh awesome, is that a film camera?!"
"This? Oh, no, it's a Fuji mirrorless."
"Oh, never mind." *walks away sad*

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

DJExile posted:

Having a weather/splash resistant lens doesn't automatically make the body weather resistant though.

Unless the XPro2 is listed as such but I didn't think it was.

It is.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Internet Explorer posted:

I had the same thing happen the other day. I was super confused at first, being new to this whole photography thing.

It makes sense since Fuji is the only company still in the film business now (Instax) and is the oldest Japanese camera company. You can carry a roll of Superia 800 and pretend you are a hipster film shooter. They probably will be happy to pose for you too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well that's my mistake then :downs:

Oly seals their poo poo up tight. I've had my EM1s out in all sorts of poo poo without a hiccup

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

My response to this is usually, "Oh I only shoot film when I REALLY want to waste money." That usually gets a chuckle.

Also, I've never had a person ask me if I'm shooting film at a time I was actually shooting film.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJExile posted:

Oly seals their poo poo up tight. I've had my EM1s out in all sorts of poo poo without a hiccup

Same. You can't really say DSLR has better weather sealing based on your experience with just one brand.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Panasonic seals well as well.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
When I'd carry around my Fuji GW690II, I was most often asked if it was a Holga.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nobody asks me about my cameras because I don't use them

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have been asked if the x100t is a film camera a bunch of times.

I've seen people with fuji cams wandering around the monuments in DC but they are far outnumbered by canikon/phone people.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I've had my Xt-2 in heavy rain multiple times and have had no issues (with wr lenses). Of course that doesn't mean anything since it is just one camera but I assumed the weather sealing is pretty good with Fuji. I have never used the X-Pro cameras though and didn't even know they were weather sealed. I never really took the x-t1 out in the rain but it has been out in snowstorms.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

I've had my Xt-2 in heavy rain multiple times and have had no issues (with wr lenses). Of course that doesn't mean anything since it is just one camera but I assumed the weather sealing is pretty good with Fuji. I have never used the X-Pro cameras though and didn't even know they were weather sealed. I never really took the x-t1 out in the rain but it has been out in snowstorms.

The X-pro 1 was not weather sealed, the new one is supposed to be.

To add to the anecdotal evidence, I got the X-T2 partially because of its weather dealing. I've had it out in heavy rain without issue.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

whatever7 posted:

It makes sense since Fuji is the only company still in the film business now

:raise: There's plenty of film other than than Fuji around, both cameras and film itself

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Even Nikon still make film cameras (although one of the two current offerings is a rebadged Cosina).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
But the only film camera you can buy in Walmart is Fuji.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I'm pretty sure the thought process is "that silver and black X100 looks like an old 35mm rangefinder". Except they also don't know it looks like an old rangefinder, they just know it looks like the cameras the reporters in movies about the 60s and 70s carried around.

I get asked it about every other time I take my X100 around but usually they are still intrigued when I tell them it's digital. Often people will ask how much it is, and THEN they are totally not interested.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I've used my xpro2 in light rain without a WR lens and in heavy rain with a WR, no problems at all. In fact I've put well over 10k frames on my camera since release without a single hiccup from the body.

Also every wedding I shoot, someone always asks if they are film cameras.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
My Xpro1 survived a jug of water being spilled on it..

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
My xpro1 looked like someone put it in a washing machine with a bunch of ball bearings and it still lived on for me to go on and sell it to a goon for cheapish.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like fujis seeming lack of presence makes sense when you remember they were the last of the major mirrorless brands to get rolling - Olympus launched MFT in 08, and I'm pretty sure Sony had the NEX cameras rolling in 09, but the x100 was in 2010 and was largely seen as little more than a curiosity, and the full X system launch with the X-pro1 wasn't until 2012. By that time the global camera market was getting gutted by smartphone cameras no longer sucking, so there was less of an audience overall.

Also, let's not forget that there's a neverending image problem in casual pro photography where everyone, shooter and client alike, is convinced you need a massive honking dslr to be taken seriously.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I see Fuji cameras all the time in downtown Montreal. I think the smaller form factor is pretty popular with tourists that want something more capable than a point and shoot. Loads of Sony mirrorless systems as well. I see film SLRs all over the place in this city as well so maybe Montreal is just bizzaro land.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Huxley posted:

My response to this is usually, "Oh I only shoot film when I REALLY want to waste money." That usually gets a chuckle.

Also, I've never had a person ask me if I'm shooting film at a time I was actually shooting film.

I've had the most "is that film?" reactions to my Polaroid 100.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
You guys, the Fuji rep was in my local store today (along with some other scrub companies like nikon, canon, and Red) and got to fondle a gfx. It's real good. It's the best hand fit of any SLR I've ever held (which is well over 300 thanks to my rad job).

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Not exactly professional work, but I got to use my coworker's x-t2 to shoot an event we put on tonight. I normally use my 5D2 for this kind of stuff and even with just the 50/2 WR lens the Fuji was a blast. I could see the setup fully outclassing my DSLR if I could add something like the 56/1.2 to the kit. In addition to having great color and tonality right out of the camera, it's just so fast, and light.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Not exactly professional work, but I got to use my coworker's x-t2 to shoot an event we put on tonight. I normally use my 5D2 for this kind of stuff and even with just the 50/2 WR lens the Fuji was a blast. I could see the setup fully outclassing my DSLR if I could add something like the 56/1.2 to the kit. In addition to having great color and tonality right out of the camera, it's just so fast, and light.

Welcome to the goody room.

https://giphy.com/gifs/dance-tom-cruise-tropic-thunder-8imCN8hrKrQ9q

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Got to play with a Leica M10 + Summilux 35mm f/1.4 for 90 minutes in Brooklyn. Leica had a booth at the Photoville event and they were lending their cameras. Other than playing a few minutes with a Leica Q in Singapore, this is the first time I walked around with one of their cameras to dig in and get a feel for it. The Leica people were very nice and relaxed about loaning $13,000 worth of gear without having to sign anything, just give them their credit card and license. The guy did keep eyeing my Fuji X100T as if it was a satanic symbol, and when I told my girlfriend that the focal length of both lenses would produce similar compositions, he couldn't help himself but interrupt to point out that the Fuji is APSC.

Anyways after a good hour and a half shooting in low light, my conclusion is that whoever buys this is an idiot, regardless of how much money they have.

The good thing is that the build quality is indeed magnificent. People joke about how you can use a Canikon to bludgeon someone, but in a gladiatorial fight to the death I'd go for the Leica strapped to a sturdy lanyard. Only criticisms are that ISO dial is small and a little difficult to pop out and adjust, and that the front function button is mushy and provides no feedback at all. It's also quite a heavy camera, which feels like a plus but would be a minus if you are constantly traveling.

As for everything else... first, I can't think of ANY reason why anyone would prefer to forego AF in order to have a rangefinder on a digital camera. After 30 minutes the gimmick wore off. I'm all for the "experience" and enjoyment of shooting, but this thing plus lens costs twice the value of my 2013 Mazda 3. I understand this is very subjective and for some people the rangefinder thing is half the fun.

But the image quality... I am not seeing whatever magical Leica quality exists. It's just a decent full frame sensor behind a good quality 35mm f/1.4 lens. The resulting images are about on par with what you can get from a Sony A7II with Sony's good 35mm. In fact, I'm willing to bet that even experienced shooters would not tell apart prints from either on a double blind test, let alone both cameras using the Summilux 35mm. Its good IQ, but not $13,000 good. Worse, at night wide open, its very hard to nail the rangefinder focus. Focus peaking is plain better shooting wide open unless you walk around focused to infinity.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but now I understand why Leica is made so much fun of on this forum. And instead of making me lust for one, all Leica achieved by lending me one was make me love my Fuji X100T more and motivate me to get the X100F. The only way I would ever pay for a Leica is if I got a really killer deal on one of their film bodies, just so I can keep it as a historical relic.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

But how will people know about my status as a photographer if I don't have a Leica?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rio posted:

But how will people know about my status as a photographer if I don't have a Leica?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162308474875?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Didn't Zeiss make an M-mount rangefinder for awhile that was better than leica in almost every way especially price?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it's called the zeiss ikon

dunno if it's better

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Going to buy 100 of these and cover every inch of my camera including the viewfinder and lens with them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rio posted:

Going to buy 100 of these and cover every inch of my camera including the viewfinder and lens with them.
Reminds me of this hat.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rio posted:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

disgusting

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don't see a red dot :colbert:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog