Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

Wait, what did she say about Obama? Obama, the guy who ran around campaigning for her? Did she say something lovely about him not taking public sides in the primary until it was basically over or what?

“I do wonder sometimes about what would have happened if President Obama had made a televised address to the nation in the fall of 2016 warning that our democracy was under attack. Maybe more Americans would have woken up to the threat in time. We’ll never know.”

She later on says that Obama asked her to lay off of Sanders so that the primary wouldn't get uglier, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

rededicate the washington monument to the city/nation as a whole. keeping it as is is also acceptable if mount vernon is redone to emphasize the slaves he had

Mount Vernon already has a heavy emphasis on Washington's slaves. It's a very neat place in general, definitely worth a visit.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Harrow posted:

Wait, what did she say about Obama? Obama, the guy who ran around campaigning for her? Did she say something lovely about him not taking public sides in the primary until it was basically over or what?

she said that his actions during his presidency made her gaffe wrt coal miners blow up worse than it ever would of if he had governed better.

quote:

She made a connection between Mr. Obama and what she called her biggest gaffe of the campaign: telling voters in Ohio, “We’re going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business.” Mrs. Clinton insisted that the line was taken out of context, but said Mr. Obama had fed the narrative of Democratic hostility toward coal miners by announcing a plan that set state-by-state targets for carbon emissions reductions, and a framework for meeting them, at the White House, next to the head of the Environmental Protection Agency.

also, she complained he put her in a straight-jacket by asking her to not go full out negative against bernie in the primaries

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Harrow posted:

Obama pulled his punches on the email/Russian hack so as to not look "biased." Lofty, noble, and completely pointless as the whole Republican party still believes he is 100% biased.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BarbarianElephant posted:

There were a lot of factors that were "the final straw" because the contest was extremely close. In a lot of ways everyone is right. She lost because she was a woman - and because of campaigning in the wrong states, being a Clinton, having a fight with Bernie, email shenanigans, and Trump bringing the racists out of the woodwork. If any of those things had been absent, she would have won.

Don't forget hilariously skewed press coverage.

Seriously, noone should ever forget this because gently caress the media.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Taerkar posted:

It was pretty obvious that Lieberman would get a pretty huge chunk of the Republican voters voting for him in the general election as well as those democrats that voted for him in the primary. Smoozing him so he didn't run immediately into the open arms of the Republican party was pretty sound political strategy.

The GOP candidate got less than 10% of the total election.

imo, people like lieberman who will jump into the arms of republicans on a whim shouldn't be in the dem party at all

it's too bad nancy pelosi refuses to make healthcare a litmus test issue so we can filter out future liebermans that will try to sabotage future healthcare bills

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Harrow posted:

Basically the country failed her.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

I'd be curious to know your top 5 as mentioned up thread.

I really want people to examine whom they value and why.

We talking all Americans or just Presidents?

I've got the POTUS list

5) LBJ - huge rear end in a top hat, but fought for and signed the civil rights act, knowing it would cost him/his party dearly because it was the right thing to do
4) Obama - would be higher on the list but not enough time has passed
3) Ike - good dude and did a lot of work. I have ties to Gettysburg where he's still a legend and learned a lot about his non-Presidency stuff
2) Lincoln - saved the Republic, also a guy with a lot of demons who is really sympathetic on a personal level and I relate to a lot
1) FDR - saved us from complete ruination and also led us to war against the Nazis

As for non-POTUS people in no particular order:

Bob Ross
Fred Rogers
Jim Henson
My Grandpa (fought in WW2 and was career Army, went from being a high school dropout to a college graduate and history teacher and the person I learned my leftism from)
Frederick Douglas

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Mount Vernon already has a heavy emphasis on Washington's slaves. It's a very neat place in general, definitely worth a visit.

The Jefferson mansions, Monticello and Poplar Forest, don't shy away from every aspect of what transpired there, including slave labor. I mean, Poplar Forest is still under renovation because its own by a private entity instead of by the state government and they will shorten things down for general tours for the sake of time, while allowing you to personally ask questions; however, they don't lie about slavery.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

There were a lot of factors that were "the final straw" because the contest was extremely close. In a lot of ways everyone is right. She lost because she was a woman - and because of campaigning in the wrong states, being a Clinton, having a fight with Bernie, email shenanigans, and Trump bringing the racists out of the woodwork. If any of those things had been absent, she would have won.

To add to this

There are some things a campaign can control and some that they cannot. The campaign cannot make everyone less sexist instantly. They can make society aware of its inherent sexism and then it's up to the citizens to enact change. The campaign can control the platform and were it campaigns.

Saying she lost because she is sexist is true. But it's not much of an electoral strategy for the future.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Don't forget hilariously skewed press coverage.

Seriously, noone should ever forget this because gently caress the media.

Yeah, this is one area where I agree with Clinton: the media really hosed us all in 2016. I can't imagine a more obviously cynical display than poo poo like keeping cameras on Trump's empty podium.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

the only one of these I'd dispute is the Bernie fight one; that was a symptom of an underlying issue. if you wave your hand and make Sanders cease to exist, the Not Hillary vote coalesces around someone else who still takes waaaay longer to put away than he should have, and Hillary still writes a book about how if only he'd given up sooner someone in her campaign would have remembered that Michigan and Wisconsin exist.

the underlying issue is that the Hillary campaign never figured out why people should care about voting for Hillary Clinton, and it turns out I'm With Grim Inevitability does not test well

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Condiv posted:

imo, people like lieberman who will jump into the arms of republicans on a whim shouldn't be in the dem party at all

No he shouldn't, but that traitorous fucker was #60 and he abused the gently caress out of it.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, this is one area where I agree with Clinton: the media really hosed us all in 2016. I can't imagine a more obviously cynical display than poo poo like keeping cameras on Trump's empty podium.

One of my most infuriating memories of the election was another Trump Nuremberg Rally being held on full screen with audio while Hillary's event was a tiny little thumnail in the bottom right corner of the screen.

On CNN.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Acebuckeye13 posted:

ah well i haven't been since the 8th grade trip and i dont recall much mention of them then. then again it was a long rear end time ago and i may have forgotten

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Majumbo posted:

To add to this

There are some things a campaign can control and some that they cannot. The campaign cannot make everyone less sexist instantly. They can make society aware of its inherent sexism and then it's up to the citizens to enact change. The campaign can control the platform and were it campaigns.

Saying she lost because she is sexist is true. But it's not much of an electoral strategy for the future.

This is a good point. I think I'm just incredibly frustrated because it's so true...and unlike most of the other causes there's nothing we can do about it and people are still willingly sticking their head in the sand about it.

All the other factors are definitely things that can be fixed. Also I did not think her answers about donations from rich people were great because while yes, she's right that it doesn't influence policy, that isn't why people don't like it. People don't like it because the optics of someone saying "I'm for public campaign financing, also I'm going to give closed door speeches to rich donors" is terrible. People, rightly so, don't trust your commitment to what you're saying if you do that.

I agree though that it's hosed up that some politicians get hit on this while others get free passes.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 13, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Majorian posted:

The media has always been a factor, and understanding how it works has swung presidential elections before. For all his many faults, Trump understood the media, and he obliged them with plenty of rating-grabbing showmanship.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Taerkar posted:

No he shouldn't, but that traitorous fucker was #60 and he abused the gently caress out of it.

one problem is that apparently lieberman used the perks the dems handed to him (during the general election no less) to sell himself to voters. he was campaigning on the fact that he would have more seniority than lamont if he got into office, that he would keep all his influence and would be better able to represent connecticut and bring it more perks and benefits because of it. that very well could've tilted the election away from lamont. as i said, the dems brought lieberman's healthcare treachery upon themselves when they rewarded the first instance of it (and clapped for the slimeball when he came back as an independent)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

RuanGacho posted:

I'd be curious to know your top 5 as mentioned up thread.

I really want people to examine whom they value and why.

Carter, Carter, Carter, Carter, and Carter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Condiv posted:

here's a slate article backing this up further:

the dems patted lieberman on the back after he abandoned the party cause he lost the dem primary, then he stabbed them in the back in return

Did he stab them in the back, or did he do them a favor by voting against the public option to cover them so they didn't have to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

axeil posted:

Nah mostly in how she (rightfully) really loving hates Bernie and points out all the little insidious things he did that undermined her. To make an analogy he was basically a little kid holding his hand in front of your face saying "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!" and people fell for that excuse/explanation. And also how she points out sexism was a major contributing factor to why she lost even though no one admits it.

gently caress Bernie Sanders

How did people fall for anything Sanders did, in her account? She won the primary. If we're talking about America's hatred of Hillary Clinton, that has longer roots than 2016.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

axeil posted:

Nah mostly in how she (rightfully) really loving hates Bernie and points out all the little insidious things he did that undermined her. To make an analogy he was basically a little kid holding his hand in front of your face saying "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!" and people fell for that excuse/explanation. And also how she points out sexism was a major contributing factor to why she lost even though no one admits it.

gently caress Bernie Sanders

He campaigned for and endorsed her and more of his voters voted for her than her voters voted for Obama in 2008.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Majumbo posted:

To add to this

A good campaign will make weaknesses into strengths. Most women running for high office will make much of their incredible toughness, that they are more manly than the men, with iron wills and handbags of steel. This is to overcome the "woman problem." Clinton's unfortunate ill-health at the culmination of the campaign combined with her unconvincing attempt to appear "grandmotherly" really did not help.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Did he stab them in the back, or did he do them a favor by voting against the public option to cover them so they didn't have to.

This is an interesting point - we really don't know who would've actually voted for the public option in 2010. I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely that Max Baucus would've voted for it so really there were only 58 votes in the Senate.

I mean, I could be wrong on this since I haven't heavily researched it, but it seems suspicious to me that it fell short by only one vote and that one vote was the one person not in the party.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Groper posted:

Carter, Carter, Carter, Carter, and Carter.

Carter was actually a pretty terrible president, objectively speaking. Nice guy, but wholely unsuited for the office.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

mcmagic posted:

He campaigned for and endorsed her and more of his voters voted for her than her voters voted for Obama in 2008.

but you don't get it, mcmagic, he intimated hillary clinton's integrity was less than sterling

something that the Republican Party would definitely not have done at any point in the general, if he hadn't given them the idea

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Carter was actually a pretty terrible president, objectively speaking. Nice guy, but wholely unsuited for the office.

Fairly or unfairly, I still blame him for energizing the religious vote.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

business hammocks posted:

How did people fall for anything Sanders did, in her account? She won the primary. If we're talking about America's hatred of Hillary Clinton, that has longer roots than 2016.

:stare:

Really?

Really?

We still have people in this thread (and all other past iterations of USPol and in the toxic waste dump that is the Dems thread) making GBS threads all over Clinton for not being progressive enough and not being a true champion for change, etc, etc. How do you think that well got poisoned?

And of course the GOP was gonna do it but it makes a hell of a lot of difference if Fox News is saying that versus the supposed most-leftist major politician in America saying it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

The media has always been a factor, and understanding how it works has swung presidential elections before. For all his many faults, Trump understood the media, and he obliged them with plenty of rating-grabbing showmanship.

:agreed:The media's always going to train its sights on what it thinks is the better story. This is something that Clinton herself seemed to know in her heart of hearts, but never wanted to admit and deal with the implications. Ezra Klein has a surprisingly insightful piece on this: (emphasis mine)

quote:

On page 239 of What Happened, Hillary Clinton reveals that she almost ran a very different campaign in 2016. Before announcing for president, she read Peter Barnes’s book With Liberty and Dividends for All, and became fascinated by the idea of using revenue from shared natural resources, like fossil fuel extraction and public airwaves, alongside revenue from taxing public harms, like carbon emissions and risky financial practices, to give every American “a modest basic income.”

Her ambitions for this idea were expansive, touching on not just the country’s economic ills but its political and spiritual ones. “Besides cash in people’s pockets,” she writes, “it would be also be a way of making every American feel more connected to our country and to each other.”

This is the kind of transformative vision that Clinton was often criticized for not having. It’s an idea bigger than a wall, perhaps bigger even than single-payer health care or free college. But she couldn’t make the numbers work. Every version of the plan she tried either raised taxes too high or slashed essential programs. So she scrapped it. “That was the responsible decision,” she writes. But after the 2016 election, Clinton is no longer sure that “responsible” is the right litmus test for campaign rhetoric. “I wonder now whether we should’ve thrown caution to the wind, embraced [it] as a long-term goal and figured out the details later,” she writes.

What Happened has been sold as Clinton’s apologia for her 2016 campaign, and it is that. But it’s more remarkable for Clinton’s extended defense of a political style that has become unfashionable in both the Republican and Democratic parties. Clinton is not a radical or a revolutionary, a disruptor or a socialist, and she’s proud of that fact. She’s a pragmatist who believes in working within the system, in promising roughly what you believe you can deliver, in saying how you’ll pay for your plans. She is frustrated by a polity that doesn’t share her “thrill” over incremental policies that help real people or her skepticism of sweeping plans that will never come to fruition. She believes in politics the way it is actually practiced, and she holds to that belief at a moment when it’s never been less popular.

This makes Clinton a more unusual figure than she gets credit for being: Not only does she refuse to paint an inspiring vision of a political process rid of corruption, partisanship, and rancor, but she’s also actively dismissive of those promises and the politicians who make them.

Even from a pragmatic, only-interested-in-winning-elections perspective, the Dems absolutely need to make big, sweeping, inspiring promises, and then fight for them. If they don't succeed, they don't succeed, but they need to at least try.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

axeil posted:

Really?

Really?

We still have people in this thread (and all other past iterations of USPol and in the toxic waste dump that is the Dems thread) making GBS threads all over Clinton for not being progressive enough and not being a true champion for change, etc, etc. How do you think that well got poisoned?

And of course the GOP was gonna do it but it makes a hell of a lot of difference if Fox News is saying that versus the supposed most-leftist major politician in America saying it.

She's not progressive enough and she's not a true champion of change. All you need to do is listen to her defend her selling access to big doners and whining ad nauseam about Bernie not being a democrat to know that though. We all still voted for her and aren't the reason she lost though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you somehow didn't hate Hillary after her awful showing in 2008, you should by now. If not you are just being contrarian for the sake of it. She is a worse person then she was a politician and frankly she shouldn't really be discussed anymore. Her future has diverged from the democratic party, and things like Fight for 15 and Medicare for All are much more relevant.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

axeil posted:

Really?

Really?

We still have people in this thread (and all other past iterations of USPol and in the toxic waste dump that is the Dems thread) making GBS threads all over Clinton for being progressive enough and not being a true champion for change, etc, etc. How do you think that well got poisoned?

pop quiz Axeil

what happened to Hillary Clinton in 2007

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Ze Pollack posted:

but you don't get it, mcmagic, he intimated hillary clinton's integrity was less than sterling

Damning with faint praise is more powerful than you can imagine. Many voters are fairly uninterested in politics, and if they feel uninspired by their candidate, they will not make huge efforts to vote.

Got a flat tire? Kid sick? Neighbor having a barbeque? Feeling hung over? "gently caress it, Im staying home. News said she had it in the bag anyway, and she's nearly as much a crook as Trump."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Majorian posted:

:agreed:The media's always going to train its sites on what it thinks is the better story. This is something that Clinton herself seemed to know in her heart of hearts, but never wanted to admit and deal with the implications. Ezra Klein has a surprisingly insightful piece on this: (emphasis mine)

Good stuff.

This is the main lesson I've taken. Voters don't give a poo poo about the actual numbers, nor does the media (see: Paul Ryan) so if you have a really transformative idea, run on it and figure out the details later.

Right now, can anyone tell me off the top of their heads what the differences were between Hillary and Obama's healthcare plans in 2008? No one remembers or (seriously) cares about this stuff in a way that will affect their vote.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Majorian posted:

:agreed:The media's always going to train its sites on what it thinks is the better story. This is something that Clinton herself seemed to know in her heart of hearts, but never wanted to admit and deal with the implications. Ezra Klein has a surprisingly insightful piece on this: (emphasis mine)

I can't help but feel that a part of this though is that the regressive side of the voting public is very much more willing to eat outlandish promises up wholesale and not react negatively to being lied compared to the progressive side.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

axeil posted:

Welfare Reform, the '94 crime bill, the Gramm Bill, the bad parts of NAFTA...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you somehow didn't hate Hillary after her awful showing in 2008, you should by now. If not you are just being contrarian for the sake of it. She is a worse person then she was a politician and frankly she shouldn't really be discussed anymore. Her future has diverged from the democratic party, and things like Fight for 15 and Medicare for All are much more relevant.

I think Hillary Clinton is a great woman+politician and The Tragedy of Hillary will be something we look back on in shame and admit that all the hatred of her was due to sexism.

I am sorry that you cannot accept that there are actually people who like Hillary.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

He also bribed them.

And accordingly received absolutely fawning media coverage.

The American news media needs to be torn down and rebuilt. It is a sycophantic grotesque whose only purpose is to turn access to power into eyeballs for advertisements.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

I can't help but feel that a part of this though is that the regressive side of the voting public is very much more willing to eat outlandish promises up wholesale and not react negatively to being lied compared to the progressive side.

I think there's a lot of truth to this, but that still leaves a lot of ground for progressive candidates to play around in. "Medicare For All" still needs to have a lot of details hammered out, but it's both aspirational and inspirational, and it's a hell of a lot more believable than most of the poo poo Trump promised.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

axeil posted:

I think Hillary Clinton is a great woman+politician and The Tragedy of Hillary will be something we look back on in shame and admit that all the hatred of her was due to sexism.

I am sorry that you cannot accept that there are actually people who like Hillary.

the tragedy of the woman shopping around Obama Is A Secret Muslim as a hail-mary to preserve her shot at 2008 not getting to be president will live forever in our hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hillary would have been a great politician for a different era of politics.

• Locked thread