Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is another good point: a lot of times, some rando distribution group will put out foreign films, and lots of DTV stuff still comes out. IIRC I discovered Lake Mungo via 8 Films To Make You Scream or whatever that thing is called, where it's just a set of a few indie horror films in a pack.

thats the same copy of Lake Mung ive got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like that cool DVDs show up cheap at thrift stores and stuff now. I got an old Anchor Bay DVD of Manhattan Baby for eight bucks at a flea market the other day, felt better than dropping like $20 for a blu ray on amazon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll go for DVD if it's not on Blu-ray and probably will never make the jump. I bought Yakuza Like A Dragon last week for this reason.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I still get DVDs when it's the only or best format available for a certain film. Like how the most complete version of The Devils is only on a Region 2 DVD and how The Fate of Lee Khan is only in some 4-film DVD bundle.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

This is another good point: a lot of times, some rando distribution group will put out foreign films, and lots of DTV stuff still comes out. IIRC I discovered Lake Mungo via 8 Films To Make You Scream or whatever that thing is called, where it's just a set of a few indie horror films in a pack.

Yeah, I have a couple of Hammer collections that have four or five films and they were only 6 bucks each. I definitely scan those weirdo, grouped-together collections any time I'm in a store that sells them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Guys I have to share this bit from Hillary's book because 1) Hillary doesn't know the difference between the Antichrist and vampires and 2) it so so so obviously did not happen
https://twitter.com/alexcguillen/status/907723614568534017

Dracula and the Antichrist are linked but yeah in context she made a weird mix-up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I have a couple of Hammer collections that have four or five films and they were only 6 bucks each. I definitely scan those weirdo, grouped-together collections any time I'm in a store that sells them.

Those are the very definition of a find

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I got Visitor Q, Natural Born Killers, Lords of Salem, and Death Proof on DVD at a really really free market last week, that's my DVD story.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Lobok posted:

Dracula and the Antichrist are linked but yeah in context she made a weird mix-up.

Im fairly sure that it was intentional, the joke being that theyre both fictional villains and so easy to mix up

her sense of humor is super dry and comes off as being naive or dumb

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hillary's sense of humor is incredibly dry yet also very trying-too-hard, so the end result is just belabored eye-rolling.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Man, DVD's aren't going anywhere. The other day, I saw a DVD set for Penny Dreadful - the entire series - for like 30 bucks.

The majority of people care so little about picture quality that I sometimes am curious how they're able to drive. Most people can't really tell the difference between DVD and Bluray. Just like how a lot of them don't notice frame interpolation and prefer to watch stuff shot at 4:3 stretched to 16:9 rather than have black bars on the sides of the screen.

DVD will probably be a thing until high-speed internet is as common as indoor plumbing.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I work at a video store that rents and sells. Blu-ray does not put up numbers like DVD. I'd estimate that 75% of our customers do not have a Blu-ray player.

Which makes the idea of 4K even more ridiculous.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I begrudgingly bought a blu ray player a week or so ago because my projector only accepts HDMI input.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

I work at a video store that rents and sells. Blu-ray does not put up numbers like DVD. I'd estimate that 75% of our customers do not have a Blu-ray player.

Which makes the idea of 4K even more ridiculous.

Unless you spend your days crouched inside a Redbox, I have to wonder if working at an actual brick and mortar video rental place is skewing your sample.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I bought The Fog and The Changeling on DVD at a comic convention a few months back for $2 each. I still haven't watched them though - I'm holding off for the October horror thread.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Working at a public library backs up the DVD isn't going anywhere theory

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Public library DVDs are a blessing and a curse. As far as I can tell, it's the only legal way I can watch Make Way For Tomorrow without buying it, but they only have two copies, one of which doesn't work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hillary has really bad Grandma Humor. I bet she forwards a lot of emails

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

okay uh has anyone here ever seen a movie called Deadbeat at Dawn

I just found out it exists and the only reaction I can come up with to it is :chanpop:

e: to describe what it is, by all appearances: basically imagine if The Raid was done by 80s Troma, or if Kung Fury was completely unironic

That movie owns. I blind bought it on dvd just on the strength of it's title.

That doesn't always work out tho, like when I blind bought Don't Mess With My Sister! because I thought the title was cool.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

precision posted:

:wow:

edit: okay my theory is that her lost emails were all just really embarrassing forwards, like the idea that the missing Nixon tape was just him listening to Alice's Restaurant

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 13, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gonna keep this one in the back pocket.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/JamesHeartfield/status/907752206627213312

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

precision posted:

Lmaooooooo

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Trust Us - The MGMT

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Do we know for sure those are real excerpts? It wouldn't be the first time people make poo poo up about Hillary.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

Do we know for sure those are real excerpts? It wouldn't be the first time people make poo poo up about Hillary.

They're absolutely real.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They are probably real but I'm having trouble caring.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I love how she's been able to lie straight-faced for so long that the first response many people have of anything that holds her in a critical light is that its probably made up. Thats some fine politickin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I've switched over to Blu's but I'll still pick up a cheap DVD from time to time. I got Do the Right Thing, Force Majeure, Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie and Rules of Attraction for a buck each a little while ago.

God, when I lived in Baltimore, I wound up buying so many DVDs. There's this amazing store in Fells Point called The Sound Garden, and seemingly every other week they'd run a 2-for-10 sale, or they'd have incredibly rare stuff for like two bucks. Crazy good prices on vinyl, too; was able to fill out both my Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen collections there.

Also, lost in the JJ Abrams / Star Wars news was that he's also co-writing Episode IX ... with Chris Terrio.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I love how she's been able to lie straight-faced for so long that the first response many people have of anything that holds her in a critical light is that its probably made up. Thats some fine politickin.

I know you despise her, but pretending like the vast majority of attacks she got were legit because she herself lies so therefore the same machinations that brought us pizzagate are more trustworthy and should be viewed without scrutiny is weird.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There's one I still haven't gotten a verrit code on and it's about how she spent an chapter on the pokemon go joke

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like I'm not saying she's not a liar but really there's nothing wrong with viewing everything with some degree of scrutiny these days because it's not just her that's full of poo poo

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I just found the first three seasons of Futurama on DVD for 16 bucks.

I go for blu-ray if possible because it's purdy but honestly if the transfer is good a DVD still look pretty nice, plus I can watch them on my computer without any hassle.And as mentioned they're a lot cheaper.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

Like I'm not saying she's not a liar but really there's nothing wrong with viewing everything with some degree of scrutiny these days because it's not just her that's full of poo poo

You shouldn't run for office if you can't fend off claims that you're a liar.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I think we should do everything we can to prevent attorneys from becoming politicians.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Above all she's an expert in lying to herself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Costanza 2020

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

That statement, while logical, doesn't really reflect modern politics in the least.

Any ways, this excerpt is definitely legit

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I know you despise her, but pretending like the vast majority of attacks she got were legit because she herself lies so therefore the same machinations that brought us pizzagate are more trustworthy and should be viewed without scrutiny is weird.

I mean, I think you can approach critiques of her with some nuance, ya know? Like claims that shes the leader of a child sex-trafficking pizza joint are not the same as pointing out how out of touch and downright evil her views on things can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Her complaining about Trump's "Crooked Hillary" line and placing some of the blame on Bernie is hilarious. You've been in politics for decades, how can you not have a comeback to "crooked," it's like the #1 insult hurled at any politician.

• Locked thread