Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

well NL doesn't have apple pay / apple news but i managed to get them working by switching to UK locale i think

that would be very odd, nearly all systems of this kind default to identification through the card issuer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i was using the UK store and they weren't there, I changed locale to UK and they appeared vOv

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
ye i jsut changed locale to NL and now news is gone lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

ye i jsut changed locale to NL and now news is gone lol

lomarf

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

third world problems

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I installed the GM and there’s no button for removing the beta profile under settings > general

does Tim automatically remove the beta profile upon installation of the GM?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you really don't. at least, i refuse to believe there is any home consumer in the world who has an actual technical need for a 4k youtube streaming box

lots of 4k tvs have horrible, horrible upscaling. the native 4k content will look better than 1080p not because you actually needed 4k, but because your tv manufacturer was lazy.

either way, apple sells boxes

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

i don't have a 4K but I'm going to buy the 4K Apple TV, simply because my crazy exgf took my old Apple TV and I guess the 4K Appletv will be at least faster than regular 1080p Apple TV

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I installed the GM and there’s no button for removing the beta profile under settings > general

nope you'll start getting betas of 11.0.1

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

The configurations are at the bottom of the general setting. Click the beta configuration file and choose to remove it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Apple could not wait for the jump to 8 to enjoy greater success in the Chinese market

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

Apple could not wait for the jump to 8 to enjoy greater success in the Chinese market

right, 8+ has the chances t sell

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Chinese people love their lucky numbers and 8 is like the king of them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

Chinese people love their lucky numbers and 8 is like the king of them

that and big phone sizes from what ive heard

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

eric posted:

The configurations are at the bottom of the general setting. Click the beta configuration file and choose to remove it.

I’m feeling pretty simple right now but I don’t see it

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I’m feeling pretty simple right now but I don’t see it

Then it's gone already.

I was using the ios11 beta on my iPad and was trying to download the 11 gm but the beta configuration was removed for some reason. I redownloaded it, updated to the GM, and removed the profile. Check that you're not on the beta still.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

eric posted:

Then it's gone already.

I was using the ios11 beta on my iPad and was trying to download the 11 gm but the beta configuration was removed for some reason. I redownloaded it, updated to the GM, and removed the profile. Check that you're not on the beta still.

I reinstalled the beta profile then deleted it. I guess it was removed by something vOv

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
cant wait till apple makes an se-sized iphone x, or iphone sex if you will

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

poty posted:

cant wait till apple makes an se-sized iphone x, or iphone sex if you will

i'd rather not but if i had to, the form factor of the SE would probably be the best

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lots of 4k tvs have horrible, horrible upscaling. the native 4k content will look better than 1080p not because you actually needed 4k, but because your tv manufacturer was lazy.

either way, apple sells boxes

there's no excuse for any kind of blurry scaling of 1080p content since 4k is just 2x 1080p, so they could just do point sampling and get clean 1080p sized pixels on the 4k display

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

im sitting down, watching Netflix in the dark, sitting on a park bench, riding the bus

my phone is down in my hand, I can unlock it without looking and when I feel like it I'll look at it. press lock button, unlock it, lock it. I fiddle a lot with my phone, I've noticed since they announced this.

so with Face ID now I have to look down at my phone to unlock it? or do I have to physically raise it, and how much ?

also these lasers being fired at my face, what are the chances something breaks, some lens is miscalibrated, some software activates some
hidden frequency and it loving blinds me?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
having to look at it is an optional setting that's on by default (for security and battery reasons), but you can disable that if you want

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

if i was convinced the 2018 se would be a miniaturised 8 without any lost features, i'd wait. i'm not so i won't

also 64gb entry level is decent for my needs

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't want to give up my 6S but I'm gonna get the X :shepspends:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i hate the selfie and snapchat-oriented iphone ecks

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

whip posted:

I don't want to give up my 6S but I'm gonna get the X :shepspends:

X gone give it to ya

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Lol X is gonna be so supply constrained and be on eBay for $9999

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

it was pointed out in another thread (or maybe through reddit I don't remember anymore) that geekbench for phones and geekbench for computers are very different beasts and that you can't really compare the results.

yeah, phones are a lot more thermally constrained than computers. imagine what this beast could do if it had active cooling.

comparing different architectures is difficult but geekbench is a pretty decent overall measurement.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

yeah, phones are a lot more thermally constrained than computers. imagine what this beast could do if it had active cooling.

comparing different architectures is difficult but geekbench is a pretty decent overall measurement.

yeah MacBooks Pro would be better laptops if hey had actual cooling in them so they could run real processors

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
btw the faceid sensor is basically a primesense Kinect motion tracker, except higher resolution.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

imagine water cooled iPhone eXtreme

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i assume it's literally a prime sense sensor because Apple bought them

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

btw the faceid sensor is basically a primesense Kinect motion tracker, except higher resolution.

"it's like this terrible, failed product only moreso"

you know you got a winner on your hands when you pick up a technology that microsoft abandoned

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Microsoft uses company's product, Apple buys company, Apple refuses to allow new designs to Microsoft, Microsoft abandons technology

clearly a failure of the underlying technology
-stymie

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah the kinect was going gangbusters before those ol' meanies at apple bought them out

they literally designed the xb1x around kinect and nobody wanted it and had to scramble to take it out of the box at the last possible minute

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prime sense was only in the original Kinect for the 360

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
another wonderful product that sat on retailer shelves gathering dust until they got returned

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
at least it's comforting that apple is picking up microsoft's scraps too and not just samsung's

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the magic of kinect is that they marketed it really well so it actually sold ok at first, until people figured out that fruit ninja and just dance were literally the only good applications of it but at that point micrtosoft had pivoted their two actually decent studios 100% onto kinect stuff and well :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pretty disappointed that they retained the camera hump on the X

probably a non-clown-sized 8 here

can you order for in-store pickup?

• Locked thread