Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

The bit where they are stripping the seasoning off a pan by simmering tomato sauce for 10 minutes + whatever time it spends waiting for the chicken to get made + oven time.

10 minutes of simmering tomato sauce in a cast-iron pan isn't going to do poo poo if it's a couple years old. This whole obsession people have with treating cast-iron pans as if they are these incredibly complex things that must be babied is nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's a food that is almost impossible to ruin (although many people, like the broccoli and carrot guy try to) as long you aren't an idiot, so when theirs turns out good they think they are the second coming of gordon ramsay. They think adding their own personal "twists" like that guy who adds a "shot" of beer (as if you'd even be able to taste that after you mix it in) makes it unique but unless you really mess with the base ingredients they are all more or less the same and the only differentiating factors are spice and quality of meat you use.
It's also why people argue over what goes in it so much. Your chili recipe is clearly the exact right one, so if you add beans but someone else doesn't, clearly they are Wrong and Bad. Same goes for using premade spice mixes/ground beef vs chunks of whole beef/etc.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I've been living in the UK for a while and been invited to some chilli dinners, they use carrots and sugar. That poo poo aint right man

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Putting sugar in savory food is like putting fish sauce on dessert.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

doverhog posted:

:goonsay:
sugar balances acidic flavours in food, so no, it's not like putting fish sauce on your brownie.

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Sep 13, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Who said they needed balancing?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elizabethan Error posted:

:goonsay:
sugar balances acidic flavours in food, so no, it's not like putting fish sauce on your brownie.
By that argument, the fish sauce balances the sugary flavors of your dessert.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Check out these scrubs who don't put fish sauce on ice cream.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Goddamn you guys are weird sometimes.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

doverhog posted:

This is so hilariously wrong

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

By that argument, the fish sauce balances the sugary flavors of your dessert.
if you're dumb/pedantic enough to think that the flavor of brownie/whatever needs balancing, go nuts with your half drop of fish sauced covered brownie :thunk:

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Sep 13, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I add a few rice krispy treats to my recipe when I make chili.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
I'm actually curious, why don't/didn't people sauté veggies instead of boiling them to death? Throwing poo poo in a pan is my go to preparation method, and I don't recall ever eating boiled veg growing up (just lots of raw and lightly steamed stuff). Plus a lot of foods people complain about (broccoli, for ex) is tasty and easy sautéed.

Was there a point in recent history where people thought they had to boil the disease off veg or something? Or is boiling just that much less effort??

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to make good boiled vegetables, and plenty of ways to make awful sauteed vegetables.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

if you're dumb/pedantic enough to think that the flavor of brownie/whatever needs balancing, go nuts with your half drop of fish sauced covered brownie :thunk:
If you're dumb enough to think chili needs balancing, go nuts with your frosted stew meat & tomatoes :thunk:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

doverhog posted:

You put sugar in an Old Fashioned, but that sure as hell doesn't make it taste sweet.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Theokotos posted:

Was there a point in recent history where people thought they had to boil the disease off veg or something?
yesterday is pretty recent http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2017/09/floodwater-pathogens-cant-be-washed-off-of-fresh-produce/

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

If you're dumb enough to think chili needs balancing, go nuts with your frosted stew meat & tomatoes :thunk:
it does, but then i don't get my 'chili' from a can. sorry about your terrible uninformed opinions on food

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

doverhog posted:

I will never stop adding brown sugar to my beef stews or thick, brown sauces with beef bases.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

it does, but then i don't get my 'chili' from a can. sorry about your terrible uninformed opinions on food
If you're going to accuse someone of "uninformed opinions on food" you should lead with something other than putting sugar in chili. Sorry your parents never taught you that foods can taste like things other than candy.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Acidic/sharp/vinegary is God's own flavor, sorry y'alls broken goonyass tastebuds can't appreciate it

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

If you're going to accuse someone of "uninformed opinions on food" you should lead with something other than putting sugar in chili. Sorry your parents never taught you that foods can taste like things other than candy.
uninformed opinions such as implying adding sugar to a dish makes it candy? :thunk: gee i wonder why your opinions on food are trash

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Haifisch posted:

It's also why people argue over what goes in it so much. Your chili recipe is clearly the exact right one, so if you add beans but someone else doesn't, clearly they are Wrong and Bad. Same goes for using premade spice mixes/ground beef vs chunks of whole beef/etc.

you'd think by this point i'd be so conditioned to seeing people in threads like this immediately, seemingly unconsciously proving posts like this correct for it to still be funny but no, it still is.

you loving galoots

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xen Tricks posted:

Acidic/sharp/vinegary is God's own flavor, sorry y'alls broken goonyass tastebuds can't appreciate it

This is why Eastern North Carolina style is the superior barbeque!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*whistling and throwing together a dry rub*

*Ingredient list contains brown sugar*

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS BULLSHIT

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

????????

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

w e a r e t h e c o o k i e

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Anyone who hates brown sugar is racist probably.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm the chipless sea in the middle.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pastry of the year clearly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pastry of the year clearly.

Large Pastry

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The anti-sugar people realize that the chili doesn't actually become sweet right? It just balances out some of the other flavors and gives the whole thing more depth. This is pretty basic poo poo.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The anti-sugar people realize that the chili doesn't actually become sweet right? It just balances out some of the other flavors and gives the whole thing more depth. This is pretty basic poo poo.
Wait, you mean that adding a single grain of sugar to something doesn't instantly make it candy? gently caress, there goes my new business idea.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"If your food is slightly oversalted, you can balance it out a bit with sugar."

"WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wait, you mean that adding a single grain of sugar to something doesn't instantly make it candy? gently caress, there goes my new business idea.

ALL THESE FOODS
ARE CANDY EXCEPT
EUROPA
ATTEMPT NO
EATING THERE

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah but come on, just putting straight sugar in chili is gross and unnecessary. Put in something with some inherent sweetness instead of just pure sweet. A thick stouty beer, sweet paprika, orange juice, dark chocolate, something that has flavors other than just sugar

e: tbf tho if you're not already making your chili with a dark beer, you hosed up somewhere along the way

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

ALL THESE FOODS
ARE CANDY EXCEPT
EUROPA
ATTEMPT NO
EATING THERE
great, now i'm stuck in a monolith. thanks rear end in a top hat

Xen Tricks posted:

Yeah but come on, just putting straight sugar in chili is gross and unnecessary. Put in something with some inherent sweetness instead of just pure sweet. A thick stouty beer, sweet paprika, orange juice, dark chocolate, something that has flavors other than just sugar

e: tbf tho if you're not already making your chili with a dark beer, you hosed up somewhere along the way
it's neither of those things when the overall flavor is something else and the tablespoon of sugar is just a small part to balance out an acidic flavor

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

great, now i'm stuck in a monolith. thanks rear end in a top hat
it's neither of those things when the overall flavor is something else and the tablespoon of sugar is just a small part to balance out an acidic flavor

Yeah, but acidic flavors don't need balancing, they need complementing. Great food comes in part from a complex marriage of complementary flavors, and to just isolate one and say, let's turn this down some with nothing else added, doesn't do much to benefit the dish as a whole.

If you're cooking your chili in a way that the acidic flavors come out so sharp that they need to be toned down, that's a problem in the original recipe, not something that needs to be fixed by adding straight sugar.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My chili almost always has an oatmeal coffee stout at its core, a Breakfast With Churchill if I can get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Xen Tricks posted:

Yeah, but acidic flavors don't need balancing, they need complementing. Great food comes in part from a complex marriage of complementary flavors, and to just isolate one and say, let's turn this down some with nothing else added, doesn't do much to benefit the dish as a whole.

If you're cooking your chili in a way that the acidic flavors come out so sharp that they need to be toned down, that's a problem in the original recipe, not something that needs to be fixed by adding straight sugar.
you're splitting hairs and finish up by repeating what i said. :nallears: