Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
all of my spanish learning is mexican and guatamalan spanish as opposed to castellano so that makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

The Changeling posted:

What version of ReShade are you using for this? I've been trying to find a good one but they're all crashing the game on launch. The game looks great and I want to get rid of the blur.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79DvgFpArXlOHJneVRRNEQ4a2M

Drop in example:
I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Resident Evil 4\Bin32

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'll be interested to see your TMPing, because I never actually used it myself outside of the Ada sidestory stuff.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Watching you explode peoples heads via suplex never gets old.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Salazar mashed the large red button labeled "deploy stupid-looking lock puzzle" on his way out. It's really an essential castle function - it was actually the third castellan who put it there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oh christ

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Omnicrom posted:

I'll be interested to see your TMPing, because I never actually used it myself outside of the Ada sidestory stuff.

Same. Especially with The Dark Id making GBS threads all over it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

It's practically the best weapon for Ada. Even though I've bought it now I'm still aiming for Suplex-headsplosions. In the next episode I don't even use it properly at first because reasons but it's no big deal because I use it exactly where it matters and do well with it. Once we reach the Island, it becomes top-tier. It's the perfect weapon for mowing down groups of unshielded dudes and still being reactive enough for guys who might flank etc. It absolutely is a great weapon because it's just a box of bullets that take up very little space, is very stable and has high marks for accuracy and stability, and you can just pulp heads after getting a leg shot in.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 13, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Take me down to suplex city, where the heads explode and the spines are bendy.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Of course Guile trained Leon. Excessive use of hair products, suplexing fools, using sonic booms... the signs are all there! :v:

And was there a reason Lune discarded some of the extra boxes of ammo? I'm wondering if it's part of a trick or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Of course Guile trained Leon. Excessive use of hair products, suplexing fools, using sonic booms... the signs are all there! :v:

And was there a reason Lune discarded some of the extra boxes of ammo? I'm wondering if it's part of a trick or something.

he dislikes carrying 1-2 extra bullets and prefers full stacks (or at least stacks with a substantial amount in them)

this is literally the reason. i can't remember if i asked him this on camera or not, but i did ask him this and his answer drove me insane.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Coolguye posted:

he dislikes carrying 1-2 extra bullets and prefers full stacks (or at least stacks with a substantial amount in them)

this is literally the reason. i can't remember if i asked him this on camera or not, but i did ask him this and his answer drove me insane.

To be fair, it's driving me insane as well. A bullet is a shell is another bullet. That's wasting ammo.

Stop wasting ammo, Lune!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

If it's something unimportant like a shell or a TMP bullet and it's only like 1-3 in a single slot, discard. There will be guaranteed items to fill it sooner than you might get a random drop for it thus negating the need to discard later. Moving the cursor around the inventory is a more laborious process than you might think. It's just slow.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

f

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

wat

It's a valid response. Enemies drop ammo especially when you're very low on it. It's knowing that I'm good on the issue as it arises that enables this forward thinking. RE5 is the same way though the inventory is excruciatingly limited. So, you just reload the gun and discard 1-5 bullets leftover (Unless it's for a Rifle or Magnum, or unless you need the ammo for reasons) since it always drops. RE6 has some bum rear end limits on ammo (Looking at you, Machine Gun ammo...) and requires maintenance if you're one of the characters who gets it, but otherwise the game's inventory is great.

In the case of Rev1, ammo is properly contained in its own packs and enemies don't drop it. No need to worry, and you always have enough. Rev2 is another story. gently caress Rev2's item mechanics.

RE4 simply requires a lot of maintenance.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Lunethex posted:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79DvgFpArXlOHJneVRRNEQ4a2M

Drop in example:
I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Resident Evil 4\Bin32

Wow, huge difference! Thanks!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lunethex posted:

So, you just reload the gun and discard 1-5 bullets leftover
OR YOU JUST SHOOT THE GUN AGAIN

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

When I decide to discard there are normally no enemies around to make use of those bullets.

Key word Normally because in RE5 having free inventory space lets you get invincibility frames when picking things up, so discarding even in the middle of a fight is a potential habit. Great for Mercenaries.

Also, using those bullets means reloading which takes more time. That's definitely not something to complain about. I can't combine ammo boxes with guns in RE4.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 14, 2017

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Lunethex posted:

When I decide to discard there are normally no enemies around to make use of those bullets.

Key word Normally because in RE5 having free inventory space lets you get invincibility frames when picking things up, so discarding even in the middle of a fight is a potential habit. Great for Mercenaries.

Also, using those bullets means reloading which takes more time. That's definitely not something to complain about. I can't combine ammo boxes with guns in RE4.

This is what high level play looks like. The player does something that seems pants-on-head stupid, but in actuality they're using the dumb thing to become an invincible death engine.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm aware, which is why I'm not saying anything anymore.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nobody's suggesting shooting the gun into thin air, that's absurd and ruins your accuracy rating too. but having a few extra bullets for a specific gun can easily influence your weapon choices in the next encounter, since the general combat against a small handful of enemies isn't terribly reliant on a specific weapon.

i mean shoot -> kick -> blast in head while down is a pretty well worn gameplay fiat by this point and it really doesn't care if you're using a TMP or a handgun.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Chapter 3-2 - The Suplex [Polsy]

Leon takes a trip into the sewers and does Salazar a favor by exterminating all the bugs there sans the company of a small but vicious dog. Upon braving the most necessary room in the game so far, he romps through the castle suplexing as many pasty robed parasite men as possible before dropping another sick burn on Saladbar. This all culminates in meeting with a familiar lady.

Oh yeah, this video is where the first edit happens. Also the parasite I was thinking of was cordyceps.

This is what ran through my mind when I did the eponymous Suplex the video is named for

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 14, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I love the contrast of hoarding eggs vs "gently caress it, rocket launcher". Regardless how that turns out to be the most efficient because of maths, it is still an amazing show of excess :allears:

Though as much as anything, you are really selling me on the TMP. Which I often ignored for the reasons people hate the Red 9, "But you need a stock for it! That takes up so much space!" and one fat handgun is less space than a normal handgun and an SMG, therefore gooder :downs: And less weapons = more money to be useless because upgrades are not unlocked spend on upgrades :pseudo:

On that note, is it actually true what weapons you own skews ammo spawns?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

You get ammo for the weapons you have. There are guaranteed ammo boxes in the game world (some containers are also set to drop specific items) but those can be sold if you don't have the applicable gun. When you run low on say, Shotgun Shells and you have a Shotgun, the game will give you a higher chance of getting shotgun shells from killed enemies in addition to what drops being a higher quantity. In practicing Separate Ways I've seen boxes of 15 bullets dropping very commonly after expending a lot of ammo. The reason to expend more bullets as Ada is because she cannot Suplex.

I haven't been very spendthrift as Leon yet. I've recorded up to the Island and there will be 5 more videos to cover Chapter 5-X, and I kind of just played ahead past Krauser as a practice run and I was mainlining the TMP hard. With 250 clip capacity I ran beneath 30 bullets and four enemies in a row dropped 50 TMP bullets each and I reloaded to full for no effort.

All this being said, even if you didn't have a handgun, I've read that the game will still drop Handgun bullets for you from enemies.

Moving on, me saying the Red9 sucks was half trolling since when I streamed the game before the LP I was laughing about the anti-TMP sentiment. The Red9 just takes up more space than it needs. It possessing a high raw damage as its only benefit and being slower than the other handguns puts it lower on the list. Every other Handgun reloads and shoots faster, stopping power isn't quite a major 'thing' in RE4 either unlike RE5. For maxing out the Handgun I have in Chapter 4-3, I'll get higher headshot critical hit rates which just delete the regular enemies outright and will kill parasites just as easily. I have the shotgun for all the B.O.W. type enemies (Novistador, groups of enemies if Kicking isn't in vogue at that very second), I have the Rifle for necessary enemies later, and the TMP is like the Handgun on steroids and you can see why because Coolguy said as much: shoot heads on the ground all day. The Magnum serves a bunch of technical purposes. You should still use whatever you think has the most style, but as is clear from the inventory OCD, I'm just making sure I have great options everywhere.

At max power the TMP does 1.8 damage per shot and combined with what I've said about its reactiveness, its speed and accuracy, it blows the Red9 out of the water while being better for space. It's a primary weapon you swap for the Handgun when ammo runs low for that and vice versa.

Here's a picture of my inventory as it will become. The last three spaces are for the special scope you get.

And when we do Separate Ways, the TMP will make me wonder constantly why I haven't sold her Blacktail.

In RE5 to elaborate on that quick point, the stopping power on Handguns is a slightly bigger deal because you want to use better weapons the further you go into the game. Two weapons are fantastic for fighting Lickers: rifles, and the P226 Handgun, the third one you get. When you do enough damage to them, they kind of reel back and reveal their hearts, which you then shoot. Using either of these weapons both does great damage and knocks them on their back, letting you run up and stab them for an instant kill. They're otherwise hard targets and take a lot of punishment.

Next Thursday the best video gets posted and I'll have finalized the inventory. I'm making a huge deal about getting a lot of money too because the most important items to upgrade are the Semi-Auto Rifle (the firing speed exclusive is powerful) and the TMP for aforementioned reasons. Everything else is gravy. I need to be able to tear rear end all over Saddler's base. And I will have that cash, no matter what.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 15, 2017

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This is one of those threads where I'm truly disappointed I can't vote 5 more than once :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God dammit shoot the lamps! :argh:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Leon probably knows about Ada and Wesker because he's been working for the president for six years.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

White Coke posted:

Leon probably knows about Ada and Wesker because he's been working for the president for six years.

he probably doesn't because he's leon

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
I believe you were thinking of the cordyceps fungi -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgkL8PulPdE

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

TomBosleyExp posted:

I believe you were thinking of the cordyceps fungi -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgkL8PulPdE

Lune pointed that out in the update post.

Lunethex posted:

Also the parasite I was thinking of was cordyceps.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That rocket-assisted cutscene was glorious. Well done.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Glazius posted:

That rocket-assisted cutscene was glorious. Well done.

That bit is why I always watch RE4 LP's. There's always something I don't know about.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Today I learned that the Gatling Gun Guy, J.J, can set off explosive barrels with his bullets. I play Mercenaries once in a while despite my disenchantment with RE4's version of it and it just happened and I had to write about it.

e. i still hate this map the most. Super salvador and the waterworld are tolerable, you can find fire grenades. but on this map, loving enemies do not spawn at all. Constantly losing a combo (even though it doesn't matter as much in RE4) when it's otherwise not hard to keep it just because they don't spawn and they aren't in any hurry is annoying, then losing 10-20 seconds before anyone else shows up. Having to climb up so many ladders is crap, RE is not made for the kind of verticality imposed on some Mercs maps in the mode's history.

Speaking of, for as much as I played RE5 mercenaries, that doesn't mean I don't have issues with some of those maps. Public Assembly, The Mines, and Prison were the only good maps. Village was barely passable, but all the others loving sucked, especially Experimental Facility. Mercs is plain fun and comedy even at some of its lower points but that little fact, the lack of spawning consistency, can utterly ruin the experience. This mode is an adrenaline packed 10 minutes of focus for every round in each game, RE4, RE5, RE6, it's intense and fun as hell. If somebody dies or you lose a combo through no real fault of your own (aforementioned enemy just not spawning at all or even worse getting stuck somehow) it's a genuine gut punch because the music is blaring and you're kicking the crap out of everyone. Wind out of one's sails, as they say.

This being said, No Mercy in RE5/RE6 is always incredible, dangerous, and thrilling. Multiple heads should explode on every melee in that mode it just rules.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 18, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Chapter 3-3-4 - The Roundabout [Polsy]

Leon gets through the final leg of his romp through Saladbar's castle, surviving a cage fight with a Garrador and scoring a free rocket launcher for the final Attache Case upgrade. Unfortunately the Merchant wasn't at all interested in giving advance warning of Saddler's coming and Luis is killed by deep hurting. Somehow Ashley wasn't screaming her head off in that same room either. When all's said and done, Leon gets Ashley out of that wall trap and the player is handed the reigns as she has to figure out a few puzzles to reunite with him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You already talked about it in the video but that texture work is seriously top loving notch. There's only so much you can do to spruce up rotting wood and cracking concrete in the village but those etchings, paintings, sculptures, and ornate walls :discourse:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Round the Twist was the best thing to grow up with and the guy who wrote the show is the most lovely human being

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

When I splice in that Ashley suplex from the Gamecube version then it goes back to my recording it really hits me how much better it is.

The slider puzzle is among the most iconic indicators of the difference between Cris & Albert's work and the original.

(PS4 Version)
(UHD Version)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lunethex posted:

When I splice in that Ashley suplex from the Gamecube version then it goes back to my recording it really hits me how much better it is.

The slider puzzle is among the most iconic indicators of the difference between Cris & Albert's work and the original.

(PS4 Version)
(UHD Version)

Thank you for trying for the Ashley Suplex. It sucks that you didn't get a direct payoff, but it's the principle of the matter damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think for me, the most unsettling thing in the game is when a Plaga comes out of a guy's head by unhinging the jaw and shoving the head all the way back. I believe it only happens with cultists and thank God for that.

• Locked thread