Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah half my FAAB gone to start week 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Someone outbid me for Allen. I am ok with this. Someone's gonna go down at some point and there will be a backup to grab.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Alfalfa posted:

Well all my FAAB bids came through after losing DJ, I'm now the proud owner of:

Cohen, Allen, Carson

Kamara is still available. Which 3 should I roster?

.5 PPR

reposting since it never got answered and I dunno what to do.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Alfalfa posted:

reposting since it never got answered and I dunno what to do.

I'd drop Carson. I know there was just a blurb about Pete Caroll talking him up, but we saw results from Kamara and Cohen. Buck Allen has shown stuff in the past. Those are the three I'd roll with.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Keep Allen if you need immediate help. Keep Carson if you want a higher-upside lottery pick.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Felter Chesthard posted:

Was the player you were dropping involved in another add?

Nope. I submitted a ticket to MFL and the person who won the bid and I have come to a solution contingent on their response.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We filed a ticket with MFL because of a conflict between two bids that did not resolve in the way MFL's own help page claimed it would. In that case, we were using "conditional bidding" and one owner had a $2 bid on a player as their first item in a Group, while another had a $2 bid as their second item in a Group where the first item failed (was outbid).

According to MFL's help, the owner with the $2 bid as the first item should have won, because with conditional bidding, a higher-priority bid always beats a lower, regardless of dollar amounts. Even if the 2nd tier bid had been a higher dollar amount, it would have lost.

In reality, MFL's software decided that the two bids were the same, and evaluated it based on either waiver priority, or possibly randomly. MFL's bad and wrong help assistant declared that it was the latter, and that this was also how it was supposed to work.

I suspect that she was wrong, and also that the conditional system is simply broken when it comes to this. The way it is stated to work in the help is kind of stupid anyway, and the way the transaction log portrays things, it does not appear MFL has implemented a logical sequence that could possibly resolve it that way. If you are using MFL's conditional bidding system, be aware that it is probably just hosed and you may have to use commissioner powers to fix errors.

That said, if the bidding is actually working as described in the MFL help now, that could explain a lower dollar bid beating a higher one, as long as it was a higher "choice" within a conditional group.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Alright so in this league, my situation is GRIM. This is my roster after this week's waivers. It's a 2 QB league and QB is far and away my only position of strength. My only position of not-total-desolation.
With that in mind, I'm looking to flip a QB for a big name RB or WR. This is 10 team full-PPR. Am I crazy to offer Matt Ryan for Melvin Gordon or similar RB1? Also considering Mariota for a RB2 or WR2, or is that undervaluing him?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Alright so in this league, my situation is GRIM. This is my roster after this week's waivers. It's a 2 QB league and QB is far and away my only position of strength. My only position of not-total-desolation.
With that in mind, I'm looking to flip a QB for a big name RB or WR. This is 10 team full-PPR. Am I crazy to offer Matt Ryan for Melvin Gordon or similar RB1? Also considering Mariota for a RB2 or WR2, or is that undervaluing him?

For a 2QB team, Matt Ryan or Marriota for any RB1 or WR1 seems fair. I imagine there's some people starting some terrible QB's if you have those three.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

RisqueBarber posted:

For a 2QB team, Matt Ryan or Marriota for any RB1 or WR1 seems fair. I imagine there's some people starting some terrible QB's if you have those three.

Thanks! I'll start by offering Mariota around to a few teams, but might have to bump it to Ryan if no one bites. People in this league tend to really undervalue QBs, which was great while drafting but now is hurting my ability to flip them for RBs or WRs that I desperately need.

Like out of 10 teams, two of them aren't even starting a QB in their "OP" slot and can't be convinced that it's a dumbass decision.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

This is super helpful and now I do think it was because we had the conditional bidding setting turned on. Our rules state that it should just be highest bidder wins though, so I should turn conditional bidding off. I must have clicked it on while setting up the waivers this year since MFL implemented their new waiver system.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

RCarr posted:

And what, may I ask, is a Tavecchio?

It's a Pinocchio with a wooden leg

SpaceDawg
Dec 18, 2002
what
Would you drop R.Kelly for any of these guys in PPR? I'm starting DeMarco and Zeke for now so I dont necessarily need anyone right away, but I could use another flex option for the next few weeks until Snead comes back:

James White (@NO, HOU)
Alvin Kamara(NE, @CAR)
Jaquizz Rodgers(CHI, @MIN)
Duke Johnson(@BAL, @IND)
Buck Allen(CLE, @JAX)
Giovanni Bernard(HOU, @GB)
Andre Ellington(@IND, DAL)

Feel like I should probably just hang on to him and hope the Redskins give him more carries, he's probably their goal line back too right?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Suave Fedora posted:

It's a Pinocchio with a wooden leg

So a chick in my work league is hurting for a WR after OBJ and I need a RB with DJ down. She's got Fournette, Lamar Miller, Fat Rob, T. West, Charles, and Quizz.

Who would be best to target? I was thinking either Lamar or West. I just don't know if they're going to have decent seasons and want to get other opinions.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
In my 4 man bench league, would you drop Moncreif for either of Carson, Buck Allen, or Kamara? if so which one?

.5 ppr
Rest of roster

RB: Zeke, Ty Monty, Bilal Powell
WR: Jordy, Golden Tate, Larry Fitzgerald, Pierre Garcon, Adam Thielan

this league also has 3 IDP spots to go with the short benches, so loving lol.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 13, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

hahahahahahahahahahaha

lol I know, I smiled a little when writing that :)

MacheteZombie posted:

This is super helpful and now I do think it was because we had the conditional bidding setting turned on. Our rules state that it should just be highest bidder wins though, so I should turn conditional bidding off. I must have clicked it on while setting up the waivers this year since MFL implemented their new waiver system.

Straight conditional bidding like that sounds weird and like I'd be confused about it for a bit. I'm 100% on board with using it as a tiebreaker if bid amounts are the same, but what's the rationale for it as described? Seems like if someone wants to bid $33 each on three guys, they shouldn't lose out on the second and third players just because someone threw out a minimum bid on them. I can't think of a purpose for adding the conditional order thing on top (as in, does that make it fairer in some way, or encourage more/less bidding, or what).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
What is the deal with Treadwell anyway? Just not grasping the playbook?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the_american_dream posted:

What is the deal with Treadwell anyway? Just not grasping the playbook?

He can't run routes

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I mean, he almost literally can't do less than last year. He'll have like 15-20 receptions this year, maybe if he's lucky a red zone td or two.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Also, old news, but I found it again, and Stefon Diggs y'all

https://twitter.com/GrahamBarfield/status/890018871285096449

Though 10.4 targets a game when not on injury report is a lot of targets per game, haha.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Which QB would you rather keep? Rivers or Mariota?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

pubic works project posted:

Which QB would you rather keep? Rivers or Mariota?

Mariota

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mariota

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Nabbed Cohen in two leagues and picked up Golladay in the 3rd, so I feel like I got a lot done this week.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I picked Blair Walsh over Tavecchio in all of my leagues.

89 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 13, 2017

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

So a chick in my work league is hurting for a WR after OBJ and I need a RB with DJ down. She's got Fournette, Lamar Miller, Fat Rob, T. West, Charles, and Quizz.

Who would be best to target? I was thinking either Lamar or West. I just don't know if they're going to have decent seasons and want to get other opinions.

Why wouldn't you first go after Fournette? Start there and work your way down to Miller, West, Slob Rob. Fournette has the least amount of downside.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 13, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Straight conditional bidding like that sounds weird and like I'd be confused about it for a bit. I'm 100% on board with using it as a tiebreaker if bid amounts are the same, but what's the rationale for it as described? Seems like if someone wants to bid $33 each on three guys, they shouldn't lose out on the second and third players just because someone threw out a minimum bid on them. I can't think of a purpose for adding the conditional order thing on top (as in, does that make it fairer in some way, or encourage more/less bidding, or what).

The intention of MFL's conditional bidding system seems to be to allow you to designate tiers of players you want in a group, so you can bid on your second-choice guy only if you don't get your first-choice guy. Most fantasy leagues with FAAB have some kind of conditional system available.

The issue is how they implemented it. As written on the help page (http://www03.myfantasyleague.com/2016/support?L=71137&FAQ=537&SKIP=1), it seems they intended that if one owner had a guy higher in a group than another, the owner with the higher bid should win, irrespective of the comparative dollar amounts.

So if you are an owner and you want someone you can be sure your highest-bid will get them simply by putting that in your first tier of any waiver groups you create. (Naturally, MFL allows the commissioner to set a limit on the number of groups, and the max is like 9 or something).

On the other hand, if you actually only want a particular player as a second choice, then - by MFL's reasoning - any other owner who wanted him as a first choice, should get him, at whatever they bid, unless someone else bid higher as a first choice.

And this logic cascades down the tiers, so if multiple owners put a player as their third choice except one owner who has him as a second choice, and if all of those groups devolve to that player (higher players are won by other bidders), then the second choice beats the third+ choices.

But.

In our free agent auction, we had a clear case where the above logic did not work. And then when we contacted MFL's support, the explanation that support person gave, did not jive with the above (or with the documentation of how waiver priority is set, but that's a second issue.) I suspect that:
1a) MFL's implementation is broken, or
1b) MFL's help page is wrong,
2) and regardless, MFL's probably unpaid intern or assistant or whoever who answered our bug report also gave an answer without checking the code or the documentation.

My conclusion is not to trust the conditional waiver system. Just let everyone bid on dudes, and high bid wins, with ties going to your tiebreakers. This setting seems to be working the same way it did last year, so that should probably be OK.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

From a Houstonian don't get Miller. They are already saying how Foreman is going to start taking a bulk of carries since their o-line is so bad.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Is it worth dropping John Brown for Marlon Mack or Kamara?

If it makes a difference I already have Frank Gore and my receivers are Martavis/AJ Green/Thielen/Tyrell Williams/C. Coleman.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

schweens posted:

Is it worth dropping John Brown for Marlon Mack or Kamara?

If it makes a difference I already have Frank Gore and my receivers are Martavis/AJ Green/Thielen/Tyrell Williams/C. Coleman.

The Colts suck until further notice. Kamara has promise, I'd drop Brown for him.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

CompeAnansi posted:

The Colts suck until further notice. Kamara has promise, I'd drop Brown for him.

I'm worried about the Colts current state but feel that Mack has a better chance of ending up with the bulk of the workload. Although this is a .5 PPR league so Kamara has some added value there

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Suave Fedora posted:

Why wouldn't you first go after Fournette? Start there and work your way down to Miller, West, Slob Rob. Fournette has the least amount of downside.

I just know her and know it would take more than what I currently have to get him. We've been talking things out and I got her to accept Kendall Wright (she's a Bears fan and lost Kevin White) for Terrance West.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

I just know her and know it would take more than what I currently have to get him. We've been talking things out and I got her to accept Kendall Wright (she's a Bears fan and lost Kevin White) for Terrance West.

That's a coup for you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The intention of MFL's conditional bidding system seems to be to allow you to designate tiers of players you want in a group, so you can bid on your second-choice guy only if you don't get your first-choice guy. Most fantasy leagues with FAAB have some kind of conditional system available.

I get how your league issue showed the implementation is broken, but even at this level, I don't get the logic. You make conditional bids because you're ordering them in a particular order, and you can't drop the same guy or fill the same empty roster spot twice. If I have one empty roster spot and one player I want to drop, and I want to bid on 3 players in order of preference of A, B, then C, I bid $x on player A and say drop no one, bid $y on player B and say drop no one, and bid $z on player C and say drop no one. Then I go through again and bid $y on Player B and say drop the bum player on my roster, and finally bid $z on player C and say drop the bum player on my roster. If I only bid more than everyone else on player C, I get player C and fill up the empty roster spot. If I bid enough to get player A and player C, but not player B, I get player A (fill empty spot) and player C (drop bum on my roster).

What does MFL's intended conditional bidding system do that this doesn't, in terms of letting you claim a player only if you don't successfully claim a player you prefer more?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

I get how your league issue showed the implementation is broken, but even at this level, I don't get the logic. You make conditional bids because you're ordering them in a particular order, and you can't drop the same guy or fill the same empty roster spot twice. If I have one empty roster spot and one player I want to drop, and I want to bid on 3 players in order of preference of A, B, then C, I bid $x on player A and say drop no one, bid $y on player B and say drop no one, and bid $z on player C and say drop no one. Then I go through again and bid $y on Player B and say drop the bum player on my roster, and finally bid $z on player C and say drop the bum player on my roster. If I only bid more than everyone else on player C, I get player C and fill up the empty roster spot. If I bid enough to get player A and player C, but not player B, I get player A (fill empty spot) and player C (drop bum on my roster).

What does MFL's intended conditional bidding system do that this doesn't, in terms of letting you claim a player only if you don't successfully claim a player you prefer more?

You could probably achieve it by layering your claims well. Except..

Let's say, for example, that you wanted to fill 5 roster spots (and let's say they were all empty for the sake of argument -- they were in the case Leper is talking about because people dropped a bunch of stuff off their rosters).

You could say 'I want two WRs, one RB, a DB and a QB', and then layer your bids along those lines, so you don't have to worry about the order of your bids (in terms of ending up with 5 WRs and none of the others). So you can essentially say 'here's a list of 15 WRs, bid $x-y (set on each individual player) until I win two', etc. Whereas by ordering your bids, it'll be whatever you win until all 5 are won, so even if you did 2 WRs 1 RB 1 DB 1 QB and then repeat as your bid order, if you won the first 2 WRs, and then lost the next 3, you might wind up with more than 2 WRs.

alternatively, let's say you had 8 open roster spots, BUT you only wanted to fill 5 of them (because you don't want to waste FAAB to add players and then drop them to draft rookies). You can't do that with a non-conditional waiver system because if you were bidding on up to 20 players you would win until all those bench spots were full, assuming no one else bid.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

RVProfootballer posted:

Also, old news, but I found it again, and Stefon Diggs y'all

https://twitter.com/GrahamBarfield/status/890018871285096449

Though 10.4 targets a game when not on injury report is a lot of targets per game, haha.

Matt Harmon and John Paulsen were banging on that drum quite a bit before the season.

Diggs when healthy puts up some pretty ridiculous numbers, and when hes on the injury report is usually a flex play at best.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Half PPR, would you rather have Melvin Gordon/Devante Parker or Gurley/Reek?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I have a soft spot for Gordon, love to watch him run.

Are Giovanni or Tolbert worth nabbing? I need someone to go with fournette and the best I can do atm is John Stewart.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zauper posted:

You could probably achieve it by layering your claims well. Except..

Let's say, for example, that you wanted to fill 5 roster spots (and let's say they were all empty for the sake of argument -- they were in the case Leper is talking about because people dropped a bunch of stuff off their rosters).

You could say 'I want two WRs, one RB, a DB and a QB', and then layer your bids along those lines, so you don't have to worry about the order of your bids (in terms of ending up with 5 WRs and none of the others). So you can essentially say 'here's a list of 15 WRs, bid $x-y (set on each individual player) until I win two', etc. Whereas by ordering your bids, it'll be whatever you win until all 5 are won, so even if you did 2 WRs 1 RB 1 DB 1 QB and then repeat as your bid order, if you won the first 2 WRs, and then lost the next 3, you might wind up with more than 2 WRs.

alternatively, let's say you had 8 open roster spots, BUT you only wanted to fill 5 of them (because you don't want to waste FAAB to add players and then drop them to draft rookies). You can't do that with a non-conditional waiver system because if you were bidding on up to 20 players you would win until all those bench spots were full, assuming no one else bid.

Ah, ok, yeah that makes sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Just traded Kareem Hunt for Mike Evans.

which gives me this:

QB: Mariota
WR: Evans
WR: Cooper
WR: DT
RB: Gordon
RB: Freeman
TE: Ertz

BN: Golladay, Landry, CJA, Snead, Stewart, Cohen

• Locked thread