Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/174501278?t=02h32m07s

This is the funny guy from the other night, hope he gets a refund.

oooh he's live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm not dissing Uwe Boll. I was pointing out unironically (or however one uses the term) that a director who brings to life video games to film does a better job than our Lord and Saint Roberts at a fraction of the cost.

Yet one got chastised out of the market; the other is still milking whales.
I thought Uwe Boll got legislated out of the market: when the infamous German Tax Loophole closed, the only reason he was cranking out bad videogame movies went with it.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ZekeNY posted:

Say what you like for Uwe Boll, but his poo poo comes out on time and on budget

Things can always be worse. Chris Roberts has the unique ability to make the worst worse.

Star Citizen has long sinced scraped the bottom off the barrel. It has dug far below the mantle of the earth and down and down through the molten core and out the other side. Now, adrift and ever-scraping through the vast emptiness of space, the lone thumping of its hearbeat grows that much fainter on the line, for like the mighty Voyager floating far beyond the pale, you can almost hear the immortal golden humming of Blind Willie Johnson, confiding in the deep its greatest human sadness, for oh how Dark was the Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8AuYmID4wc&t=37s

In space, there's no bottom.

Toops fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 13, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

oooh he's live

He's funny and fine, couple of guys in his chat melting down though.

But nobody gets my 3_Point_Never joke :doh:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Berious posted:

The best part is shitizens think that handwavium is still coming. Chris just gotta stay up all night coding a couple of times then they patch in the whole loving game
You just need to layer the code over the ideas.

Coding is the easy part, good programmers are ten a penny. Ideas guys on the other hand, rare as hen's teeth mate.

That's why Chris gets paid the big bucks.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
In case anyone thinks I'm lying about how detailed and dynamic ship damage and repair is according to CIG's fever dream, please feast your eyes on this page, and try to mentally reconcile it with the reality of the PU:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Design-Notes-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance

Or feast your eyes on this masturbatory fantasy, and refresh your memory on CIG's claims by scrolling down to the "Real Physics" section:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game/spaceflight

If this isn't outright fraud, then the only other explanation is that the entire current game is a placeholder.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Getting a creepy bossy vibe from this steamer

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mr.Tophat posted:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/174501278?t=02h43m21s

It is getting a bit weird.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I'll CS:GO and get that immediately

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

very much my poo poo

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

excerpt from Sagan’s 1995 book, The Demon-Haunted World

quote:

‘I have a foreboding of an America in my children’s or my grandchildren’s time — when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what’s true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness. The dumbing down of America is most evident in the slow decay of substantative content in the enormously influential media, the 30-second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance.’

fits star citizen (and trump as well)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:3:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

It took incredible balls to do this while simultaneously claiming, with a straight face, that the physics were fully 100% modeled on thruster action, so that if you lost a part of one thruster in a firefight, that loss would be reflected in the ship's handling - not by "cheating" such as having a simple code check to force yaw one way if a thruster is damaged, but on the fly by the physics engine itself as it calculates thrust vector dynamically based on localized damage. They also bragged that the ship damage was completely dynamic, and you could "patch up" parts of the ship based on the type of damage you took, where, what materials, and based on what repair utilities are at hand.

It takes balls of steel to say all of that, and to deliver physics-free noclip ship-shaped player entities that explode along the same exact loving predetermined patterns each time, no matter how they blow up.

The part of this that is the most interesting to me is that it's WORKING. Faced with the same floaty ship physics that we saw at GamesCom, I saw several backers on Reddit argue that the problem was that the thrusters had been set too powerful and just needed some tuning. They took it for granted that the simulation they'd been promised was real, but just in need of some numbers tweaks.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

The good ol' Alpha of Theseus.

bacalhau
Apr 29, 2013
The refunds have got to stop. Star Citizen is going to crash very soon and it's just going to be the scapegoat.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

bacalhau posted:

The refunds have got to stop. Star Citizen is going to crash very soon and it's just going to be the scapegoat.

It doesn't really matter. Chris has a whole herd of scapegoats ready to feed to the shitizen wilderness.

Has there been a confirmed sighting of him since he left on vacation after Gamescom?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Scruffpuff posted:

This is correct. It still amazes me, years later, that they hacked a FPS engine, removed the ground, left the water effects in, rended player entities as spaceships, turned on NOCLIP, and set a handful of variables to mildly affect movement between ship types, and passed it off - largely successfully - as a space flight simulator.

It doesn't even qualify as a CryEngine mod because those work.

It took incredible balls to do this while simultaneously claiming, with a straight face, that the physics were fully 100% modeled on thruster action, so that if you lost a part of one thruster in a firefight, that loss would be reflected in the ship's handling - not by "cheating" such as having a simple code check to force yaw one way if a thruster is damaged, but on the fly by the physics engine itself as it calculates thrust vector dynamically based on localized damage. They also bragged that the ship damage was completely dynamic, and you could "patch up" parts of the ship based on the type of damage you took, where, what materials, and based on what repair utilities are at hand.

It takes balls of steel to say all of that, and to deliver physics-free noclip ship-shaped player entities that explode along the same exact loving predetermined patterns each time, no matter how they blow up.

That alone is false advertising, bait and switch, or just loving lying.

Now remember that this is one of literally thousands of examples where CIG promised the stars, and delivered either steaming poo poo, or, more frequently, nothing at all.

As much as the janky flight model pisses me off and as funny as it is to call it such, it really isn't noclip which imo is even worse because this is literally their idea of awesomesauce and they went to great lengths to make it this way. There was much back and forth from a large chunk of the active community that didn't appreciate multi million dollar bait and switch they saw happening in real time, hence the 2000 page 'controls katamari' thread which was the original forum gulag. That thread occasionally forced cig's hand into begrudgingly clarifying their shifting intentions and the more they divulged the worse it was. Like every other mechanic of consequence, they really tried to leave it as vague and imagination defined as possible and squelch the subject at every turn because they know as soon as they commit to a polarizing mechanic they will certainly lose a % of backer$. CIG's attitude and handling of this matter were about on par with PGI's handling of ECM and 3pv combined, but on a scale beyond Harold Camping's 110million dollar crowdfunded game that got canned in pre-alpha, Rapture.

:pgi::pgi:

I know they have ghost thrusters and cheats and poo poo to make the janky artmobiles fly straight and physics is a four letter word at cig, but they do have the framework and basis what *could have been a decent flight model (not talking about their netcode issues, just vehicle dynamics) if anyone at the company _in a position of influence_ had a clue or inclination that something is horribly wrong. Most ships are so twitchy that they move in a way nearly indistinguishable from noclip so it's fun to point and laugh at the balsawood, but it really is the preposterous thrust values (and ghosters) they insist on and have only dug in their heels and doubled down about over the years because they know they are no longer making a game for limited number of sim whales but instead for the masses of fps players that have long since displaced and outnumbered the original 75% sim whale crowd were patient zero of the hype infection. The fps and console devs working for mr micromanager with his thorough understanding of physics plus a bunch of graph charts showing current ratios of kbm players vs joystick/hotas/cockpit folk and simple cold math made their choice.

:shepspends: :shepspends:

Watch wtf trying to fight at the end of his 3 day yawn drive to the comm array. He's flying one of the only ships that doesn't whip around fast as you can spam the mousepad (Herald) and he gets his rear end kicked because the other ship can still fly like noclip so just jousts him to death while he ineffectually flails his nose around without the slightest clue how to manage the situation without missiles to spam.

http://i.imgur.com/RFTrut1.gifv

Players used to have access to the xml values for offline mode experimentation and Tazius and others made some alternative flight models using the framework there and all of them were insanely better than what passes for a flight model at cig. All of this is just an annoyance for crobbler who just wants to make his lovely movies in peace and everyone else just wants to get their checks and go home hopefully before the sun comes up this time.

gently caress this, i'm out
http://i.imgur.com/0NT7pVY.gifv

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 13, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

In case anyone thinks I'm lying about how detailed and dynamic ship damage and repair is according to CIG's fever dream, please feast your eyes on this page, and try to mentally reconcile it with the reality of the PU:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Design-Notes-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance

Or feast your eyes on this masturbatory fantasy, and refresh your memory on CIG's claims by scrolling down to the "Real Physics" section:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game/spaceflight

If this isn't outright fraud, then the only other explanation is that the entire current game is a placeholder.

Someone post a gif of that one ship with the thrusters that look like washing machines , spinning and gyrating wildly as the ship just does the most benign maneuver

Physics are in !

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Someone post a gif of that one ship with the thrusters that look like washing machines , spinning and gyrating wildly as the ship just does the most benign maneuver

Physics are in !

Physics are in, racing is on!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The ironic follows should be used sparingly. It's not as funny when the streamer is expecting it and gets like 5 in a row.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

As much as the janky flight model pisses me off and as funny as it is to call it such, it really isn't noclip which imo is even worse because this is literally their idea of awesomesauce and they went to great lengths to make it this way. There was much back and forth from a large chunk of the active community that didn't appreciate multi million dollar bait and switch they saw happening in real time, hence the 2000 page 'controls katamari' thread which was the original forum gulag. That thread occasionally forced cig's hand into begrudgingly clarifying their shifting intentions and the more they divulged the worse it was. Like every other mechanic of consequence, they really tried to leave it as vague and imagination defined as possible and squelch the subject at every turn because they know as soon as they commit to a polarizing mechanic they will certainly lose a % of backer$. CIG's attitude and handling of this matter were about on par with PGI's handling of ECM and 3pv combined, but on a scale beyond Harold Camping's 110million dollar crowdfunded game that got canned in pre-alpha, Rapture.

:pgi::pgi:

I know they have ghost thrusters and cheats and poo poo to make the janky artmobiles fly straight and physics is a four letter word at cig, but they do have the framework and basis what *could have been a decent flight model (not talking about their netcode issues, just vehicle dynamics) if anyone at the company _in a position of influence_ had a clue or inclination that something is horribly wrong. Most ships are so twitchy that they move in a way nearly indistinguishable from noclip so it's fun to point and laugh at the balsawood, but it really is the preposterous thrust values (and ghosters) they insist on and have only dug in their heels and doubled down about over the years because they know they are no longer making a game for limited number of sim whales but instead for the masses of fps players that have long since displaced and outnumbered the original 75% sim whale crowd were patient zero of the hype infection. The fps and console devs working for mr micromanager with his thorough understanding of physics plus a bunch of graph charts showing current ratios of kbm players vs joystick/hotas/cockpit folk and simple cold math made their choice.

:shepspends: :shepspends:

Watch wtf trying to fight at the end of his 3 day yawn drive to the comm array. He's flying one of the only ships that doesn't whip around fast as you can spam the mousepad (Herald) and he gets his rear end kicked because the other ship can still fly like noclip so just jousts him to death while he ineffectually flails his nose around without the slightest clue how to manage the situation without missiles to spam.

http://i.imgur.com/RFTrut1.gifv

Players used to have access to the xml values for offline mode experimentation and Tazius and others made some alternative flight models using the framework there and all of them were insanely better than what passes for a flight model at cig. All of this is just an annoyance for crobbler who just wants to make his lovely movies in peace and everyone else just wants to get their checks and go home hopefully before the sun comes up this time.

gently caress this, i'm out
http://i.imgur.com/0NT7pVY.gifv

i am soooo loving close to doxxing my star citizen self here just to put an icing on that story.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Tophat posted:

I've just discovered this while looking for other people streaming FEAR

I've discovered that most people who stream this game are cowards.

Always
Be
Closing (With Your Enemy)

You should see me play Reinhardt! :black101:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You should see me play Reinhardt! :black101:

Maybe I should do so! While healing you! Because I play Mercy! Emphasis!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Tophat posted:

Maybe I should do so! While healing you! Because I play Mercy! Emphasis!

Gonna go Grandmaster/Top500 with Reinhardt only, will you be my pocket Mercy? <3

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Gonna go Grandmaster/Top500 with Reinhardt only, will you be my pocket Mercy? <3

[X] Yes
[ ] No

I don't entirely understand your quest but I will help you regardless

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 13, 2017

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Thoatse posted:

No matter how far they tweak the flight model, they will always have to keep it relatively slow for the server physic frames to be able to keep up.

Cryengine hit registration netcode is notoriously slow on the uptake and PGI (Caretaker of Mechwarrior Online) realised early on that anything moving above 1.30kph tend to not register hits properly. Add a little lag and you would get ligh mechs being really hard to kill, lateral hits almost never registering properly. Ultimately they had to slow everyone down to bring the lighter mechs max speed within the limit the netcode could handle.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Taintrunner posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/464360/3030_Deathwar_Redux/

A fusion of Elite-style space exploration, frantic and fast-paced combat, and a healthy dose of Lucas Arts-style comedic adventuring, 3030 Deathwar Redux sets you free to roam the entire galaxy, after a mysterious War left planets uninhabitable and the remaining stations on quarantine lockdown. Help freewheeling space pilot John get back on his feet in a huge open world, and pilot your own course through the game's dizzying array of missions, stories and features.

Will you take on some local delivery jobs so you can afford a better ship. Downsize to a jetsuit and go shooting space-junk for quick money? Or focus on finding that missing gold shipment, before the local gangs and salvage teams get there first?

Meanwhile, there's that drat mechanic who sold you a stolen ship, and this mysterious 'Taoist' group who everyone keeps talking about. Before long, John finds himself inextricably caught up in a plot of intergalactic intrigue...

Features
* Open-world space adventure with frantic combat and 30 star systems to explore
* Board stations, visit the bars and talk to an array of space scum
* Ghostly derelict ships to find on your Star-Map, spacewalk into, and salvage valuables
* Large variety of fun jobs and missions, with amusing and exciting side-quests
* Diverse array of ships to buy and upgrade for Performance, Defence and Combat
* Get a fuel-scoop and refuel from the corona of a sun without frying yourself!
* Find Pirate Stations and begin a life of crime, attack innocent traders, steal cargo from traffic
* Invest in a large cargo ship and go asteroid mining for metals, or haul goods between systems
* Hidden wormhole shortcuts, comets, unique stations and other secrets to find
* Get caught up in an irreverent, amusing and enthralling main story
* A whole load more!

wrap it up crobberts

Just to help out the dev who ended up being a nice guy and if I recall was caught up in some Desura BS, this is actually a really fun little game that's pretty deep and interesting. Last time I played it though there wasn't much story and limited stuff to do beyond fly around, so it's probably only better now.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Oh sweet a 7gig patch for Overwatch, excellent, good. I love this modern hellscape.

Jobbo my name is MrTophat in the Blizzard thing. Number 2622. Any time you need a Mercy I'll be happy to help.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

aleksendr posted:

No matter how far they tweak the flight model, they will always have to keep it relatively slow for the server physic frames to be able to keep up.

Cryengine hit registration netcode is notoriously slow on the uptake and PGI (Caretaker of Mechwarrior Online) realised early on that anything moving above 1.30kph tend to not register hits properly. Add a little lag and you would get ligh mechs being really hard to kill, lateral hits almost never registering properly. Ultimately they had to slow everyone down to bring the lighter mechs max speed within the limit the netcode could handle.

Of this I have no doubts, and is yet another example of the crobbler enthusiastically shooting himself in the dick. The guy who yelled 'cryengine sucks' at the first citizencon is a hero, along with Saint ShameOnYou from the last one.

e: cattel tax

http://i.imgur.com/jZVQ4j1.gifv

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Berious posted:

The best part is shitizens think that handwavium is still coming. Chris just gotta stay up all night coding a couple of times then they patch in the whole loving game

You need to get your 2017 story right. Now I may be screwing it up here too, but if I recall it's like this:

1: Layer in fidelity

2: Add code on top of the ideas

Though for CIG what this really means is motion capture is most important and will make or break the game, graphics are right up there too, animation will build out gameplay, 4K or higher textures for a characters tongue are normal, and you just focus on cobbling together another crappy demo.

Also of critical necessity is YouTube videos. These videos also make the game happen faster and better.

Once that's done, you have somebody add a new ship or something to the broken game itself to keep the mob happy and paying.

Now I'm probably going to get a C&D letter from CIG for sharing their video game development pipeline with you all. :ohdear:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

This is an excuse for me to link one of my favourite videogame cover medleys of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGeX-SgPsIA

This is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZoSLqpUCx8

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Imagine the existential horror a shillizen experiences when realizing this 'fact'. Fear of publishers, a new phobia? (No, just a gamergater).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tooterfish posted:

You just need to layer the code over the ideas.

Coding is the easy part, good programmers are ten a penny. Ideas guys on the other hand, rare as hen's teeth mate.

That's why Chris gets paid the big bucks.

Oh. Was it layer in the code or layer in the fidelity?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I'm only a minute in and this is loving amazing, thank you commando

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/6zy3ko/just_refunded_3_completionist_packages_for_a/

quote:

There was lots of arguing within our guild, but in the end the whales who had contributed the most had the final say, and we refunded our three completionist packages, originally purchased at $15k each, so $45k total refund. We sidelined many other great games and commercial opportunities waiting for Star Citizen, but in the end we can't wait any longer, and a new generation is joining also who have absolutely no interest. The final straw was evidence presented the committee of Chris Roberts blatantly lying, we don't mind the delays but couldn't handle the lies anymore, and it left us wondering what else he is knowingly lying about.
It was a nightmare getting the refund, we are a commercial org and pooled the money to buy the completionist packages, and used a corporate card to buy them, so we had major issues with getting refunded to the same card, paypal and then providing ID. Total it took about 5 weeks to get sorted. A lot of time was spent trying to explain the situation to some woman called "Schala" and just getting the same answers copied and pasted backwards and forwards, they definitely try to delay you as much as possible in the hope you'll forget or give up.
I prefer to remain anonymous as the guild can easily be linked back to my personal identity, and we all know how insane and potentially dangerous the few remaining Star Citizen believers can be. I'll put some juicy screenshots below however.
Thanks for all your help here guys, we couldn't have done it without the support and guidance of this subreddit.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Publishers make games actually happen.

The most ironic part about all of Star Citizen is that the whole of its reason for existence was to justify that publishers are bad and evil (because Chris Roberts wasn't trusted by any with the project).

And all SC is doing is proving how critically important a publisher is who can actually motivate a team to build a product on time (within reason), and within their budget.

Good job, Chris. You did it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

That's a lot of money for kool-aid