Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

my bold NHL prediction this year is that the Flyers are a bottom 5 team because Elliott is going to suck again

You forget about super awesome starting goaltender Michael Neuvirth to take on the load if Elliot tanks.

.....the flyers will never have good goaltending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/907985194044592128

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

You forget about super awesome starting goaltender Michael Neuvirth to take on the load if Elliot tanks.

.....the flyers will never have good goaltending.

correction, we did have good goaltending :eng101:, unfortunately it will be a while before we ever see it again

Speaking of Flyers goaltending, I was talking with my friend about some of the other goalie carousels we've had in the past and he mentioned Ray Emery and holy poo poo I had legit forgotten he was with the team into 2015, for some reason that seems like a decade ago.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

feels aggressive for a guy that really fell off after the lockout but i suppose it's akin to ken daneyko for new jersey

better than 22 beers at least

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

feels aggressive for a guy that really fell off after the lockout but i suppose it's akin to ken daneyko for new jersey

better than 22 beers at least

He's second all time in Avs history in scoring. Ahead of Forsberg in fact (albeit in many more games played).

Seems pretty earned to me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Teams hand out retired numbers like candy anymore, so what

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

What was it that caused Mason to part ways? Money? Stolarz was gonna be the guy?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

He's second all time in Avs history in scoring. Ahead of Forsberg in fact (albeit in many more games played).

Seems pretty earned to me.
You'd have to cut out the Nordiques history for that to be true, in which case you'd have a 20 year history where he was like the 10th most important guy. They were a successful team, they don't need to reach for retirements.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yellowcar posted:

What was it that caused Mason to part ways? Money? Stolarz was gonna be the guy?

Less money, more term. Also the flyers for whatever reason are committed to the 1a-1b tandem thing and Mason loving hated that.

Didn't help that Hakstol would switch them at a fuckin' moment's notice, oftentimes with very little reasoning.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

You'd have to cut out the Nordiques history for that to be true, in which case you'd have a 20 year history where he was like the 10th most important guy. They were a successful team, they don't need to reach for retirements.

If you add the Nordiques he's 4th? Goulet, Statsny, and Sakic are ahead of him. Nobody else.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They were a successful team, they don't need to reach for retirements.

They need a reason for people to show up to games this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

They need a reason for people to show up to games this year.

I keep forgetting they lost the lottery and didn't even pick second. That's tragic after the season they had.

e: the guy they got didn't even play in major juniors for Christ sakes

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/HeyBarber/status/908001372410228736

This is a new one

Ginette Reno posted:

I keep forgetting they lost the lottery and didn't even pick second. That's tragic after the season they had.

e: the guy they got didn't even play in major juniors for Christ sakes

The new lottery rules suck. Us fans of bad teams don't even have anything fun to root for anymore. The Canucks finished 2nd last and picked 5th. Wheeeee.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

ThinkTank posted:

The new lottery rules suck. Us fans of bad teams don't even have anything fun to root for anymore. The Canucks finished 2nd last and picked 5th. Wheeeee.

The loving Oilers ruined everything for everybody else and now they don't even have to worry about it because they fell face first into the next megastar

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Actually the new draft lottery rules and teams I don't like getting hurt by it owns.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
it's a poor replacement for seeing my own team in the playoffs again any time soon, but I am looking forward to the Oilers playoffs again if only to see Kilza getting insanely angry in gdts

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

It's okay, I have mastered my emotions and set my expectations so low that the Oilers (and NHL) cannot anger me during the playoffs again.

...Wait, I have the Oilers winning the Cup.

poo poo

:fork:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

it's a poor replacement for seeing my own team in the playoffs again any time soon, but I am looking forward to the Oilers playoffs again if only to see Kilza getting insanely angry in gdts

I'm looking forward for the sedins each re-signing at $8mx6

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

:stare:
loving flubber puck, right there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's exciting to know any non playoff team could get the top pick, but I'm not sure the lottery should function that way since in theory it's there to bring poo poo teams back from the dead.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Powershift posted:

I'm looking forward for the sedins each re-signing at $8mx6

I would be legitimately shocked - unless you meant elsewhere

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ginette Reno posted:

If you add the Nordiques he's 4th? Goulet, Statsny, and Sakic are ahead of him. Nobody else.

Uh, you totally sure about that?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

Uh, you totally sure about that?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/leaders_career.html

Maybe we're talking about two different things. If we're talking about career points in the NHL, that's different. I'm talking about points with the franchise.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ginette Reno posted:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/leaders_career.html

Maybe we're talking about two different things. If we're talking about career points in the NHL, that's different. I'm talking about points with the franchise.

I read that as the most important players to the avs franchise. If we're talking just scoring he only ever managed 45, so no biggie.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

retiring milan hejduks number... good lord...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the entire concept of retiring numbers, even for great players, is retarded

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially considering that the inevitable conclusion is Futurama style fractions because the pool of numbers is always shrinking and every generation is going to have a "legendary player" that "deserves" to have their number retired.

Granted that problem is still a hundred years away but it should be obvious to anyone that thinks about it for more than 2 seconds.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
it's okay the league will fold before then

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

corn on the cop posted:

it's okay the league will fold before then

They'll replace numbers with ads. One day Alex Ovechkin's Geico Caveman jersey will proudly hang in the rafters, alongside the 2025 Honda Pilot Regular Season Champions banner.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Triple digits baby.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Triple digits baby.

this guy gets it

Joe 420 Thornton

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Also make 0 and 00 legal again.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

it's also fake

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

The Golden Man posted:

retiring milan hejduks number... good lord...

Remember the number 77 is retired by colorado

Avs dumb

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

xzzy posted:

Especially considering that the inevitable conclusion is Futurama style fractions because the pool of numbers is always shrinking and every generation is going to have a "legendary player" that "deserves" to have their number retired.

Granted that problem is still a hundred years away but it should be obvious to anyone that thinks about it for more than 2 seconds.
The Flames and Blues employ 'honoured numbers' so they won't run out. Seems a better very long-term plan.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

it's also fake

Well boo

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I loved Hejduk, I was a huge fan of him, his was my first game used Jersey, and he was our Captain for a few years.

I still don't think he should have his number retired, but only barely.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Rangers are probably only a couple more wet playoff farts away from retiring another 94 number

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

im not sure which is dumber retiring hejduks numbers or not retiring numbers because we'll run out in 100 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

xzzy posted:

Solution: emojis.

😬

• Locked thread