Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I played a couple games with Abathur and I enjoyed him a lot. How do I get good?

Can you clone high value assassins and do work with them? If your abby can't get clone value out of Illidan, Genji, Greymane, Valla, etc. then you'll never be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

A friend and I discovered that Probius and an Abathur clone can use each others pylons and gravity things, which was hilarious

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Aba can nominally soak 2 lanes, 3 if you really need to (you don't)

1 lane: hatting a minion, merc, or friendly summon. Enemies who die nearby grant exp

2 lanes: waddle your way to a bush near lane minions action to soak their deaths passively, but be ready to Z out of there. Be aware of the minimap so if you're hatting something or someone and your camera isn't watching your body, you can still respond if someone goes hunting for you. Obvs more dangerous vs a global or a stealthie, since they don't show up on minimap until it's too late

3rd lane: your summons such as Monstrosity (ONLY on maps where you can get it fully stocked before they rotate and kill it, basically Cursed Hollow or Warhead Junction) and your locusts (lvl 16 and lvl 20 talents in an off-lane) can grant exp if they get the killing blow, even if your body or hat aren't nearby.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can Aba solo camps any more? A few months ago it broke inexplicably after a patch. His locusts don't attack neutral mercs and instead go to lanes. I hope it was a bug (har)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dietrich posted:

Zeratul doesn't have a lot to do that isn't either blowing someone the gently caress up or dying.

also pick twin blades of fury all the time

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

BrianBoitano posted:

Can Aba solo camps any more? A few months ago it broke inexplicably after a patch. His locusts don't attack neutral mercs and instead go to lanes. I hope it was a bug (har)

I solo camps with him all the time. I wait for the locust to spawn, drop a bunch of nests on the mercs, and use the talent that spawns 3 locusts and start slapping away. A few times I've cut it close but I've never had problems with it before.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They fixed locusts ignoring mercs a few patches ago iirc.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

A good aba should be doing all of this as much as possible throughout the entire game

1) Mining the enemy team's rotation paths
2) Body Soaking one lane
3) Hat soaking a second lane
4) Joining every teamfight by cloning the appropriate teammate (which isn't always the high value assassin)
5) Hard-pushing one lane with the three locusts on cooldown
6) Helping people escape (with a timely suicidal aggressive body blocking clone, shield, mining an escape path, ect)
7) Helping people secure kills

You've got to develop a high level of game sense, know where the safe bush spots are on a map, always keep an eye on the mini-map, know when to rotate and re-position, and have a feel for every meta hero in the game.

Well played, an aba will feel like 2 heroes to the enemy team. Poorly played, he'll be half a hero at best.

He's also pretty map dependent, maps where the enemy team is always in lane reduce his value unless your team is able to keep them rotating to counter their pushes.

Also, be ready to switch your talent build based on your team comp. Sometimes you want a hat build, sometimes you want a locust build. Very very rarely you want a monstrosity.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Dietrich posted:

A good aba should be doing all of this as much as possible throughout the entire game

1) Mining the enemy team's rotation paths
2) Body Soaking one lane
3) Hat soaking a second lane
4) Joining every teamfight by cloning the appropriate teammate (which isn't always the high value assassin)
5) Hard-pushing one lane with the three locusts on cooldown
6) Helping people escape (with a timely suicidal aggressive body blocking clone, shield, mining an escape path, ect)
7) Helping people secure kills

You've got to develop a high level of game sense, know where the safe bush spots are on a map, always keep an eye on the mini-map, know when to rotate and re-position, and have a feel for every meta hero in the game.

Well played, an aba will feel like 2 heroes to the enemy team. Poorly played, he'll be half a hero at best.

He's also pretty map dependent, maps where the enemy team is always in lane reduce his value unless your team is able to keep them rotating to counter their pushes.

Also, be ready to switch your talent build based on your team comp. Sometimes you want a hat build, sometimes you want a locust build. Very very rarely you want a monstrosity.

I had such a fun aba game earlier today. Got teamed with Greymane, Falstad, Zeratul and Valla (qm obviously) on Garden of Terror. Went heal build but instead of sustained carapace I took attack speed. The Valla disconnected in the beginning but we managed to drag it out for 30 minutes, won a team fight, got two plants in a row and won the game. I was in the top for siege, hero damage and outhealed the enemy Tyrande. Best support hero ever.

I haven't played in a while and this was the first time I've ever seen Abathur paired off against a Tyrande on the enemy team, expected to fill the same role. How new is this? Because I really like it, it forces you to think about the comp and your talents in regards to what you're facing. It reminds me of HotS around release when quick match could put you in pretty much any team against any team. It was fun, because if you were forced to work with some unconventional poo poo you got to think outside the box. I'm in the minority, I think, but I prefer it when qm is a bit bananas.

EDIT: Oh right, I went double hat. I don't think I've ever done that outside of trying it out in AI, but it's awesome.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
QM tries to avoid mirrors now and matches heroes by some internal subgroup. Tyrande is one of the few heroes that's in the same bucket as abathur so you'll be seeing a lot more of her.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

feels like every QM game nowadays has a Tyrande and a Nova..

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Tyrande I actually don't mind playing against but good lord Nova is obnoxious in QM. Not even because she's particularly good but inevitably some pubby will let Nova kill him over and over again in the early game and now the other team is up 2 levels on you so gg.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

Tyrande I actually don't mind playing against but good lord Nova is obnoxious in QM. Not even because she's particularly good but inevitably some pubby will let Nova kill him over and over again in the early game and now the other team is up 2 levels on you so gg.

Don't let low hp heroes lane solo when the other team has stealthies, and change your expectations on the solo laners from "push the lane" to "keep your towers from running out of ammo and soak." Also make sure you don't linger in a lane with low HP.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Paranoid Peanut posted:

It's not your imagination. Hotslogs top 5 quickmatch heroes in the last 7 days:
Jaina: 48.1%
KT: 44.3%
Nova: 42.2%
Tyrande: 39.3%
Leoric: 31.4%

I think Jaina was in the free rotation last week.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's not your imagination. Hotslogs top 5 quickmatch heroes in the last 7 days:
Jaina: 48.1%
KT: 44.3%
Nova: 42.2%
Tyrande: 39.3%
Leoric: 31.4%

I think Jaina was in the free rotation last week.

Jaina also gets handed out for free by every single collectors edition of every blizzard game IIRC.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Also she just got reworked so people want to play her. And Nova is around because suddenly people really want to try out burst mages with 0 escape (KTZ, Jaina). I can't explain Tyrande though.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Yukari posted:

Also she just got reworked so people want to play her. And Nova is around because suddenly people really want to try out burst mages with 0 escape (KTZ, Jaina). I can't explain Tyrande though.

Tyrande is awesome :shrug:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Most played QM heroes are new releases, reworks, and the cute girls. Nova's usually the most popular hero regardless of meta.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Yukari posted:

I can't explain Tyrande though.
The last buff to the owl talent was enough to make everyone want to play owl Tyrande because if the other team ever clumps up you can just machine gun them and build enough stacks to get 4 digit damage at long range.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 13, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tyrande is lame because she's too well designed and I can't have owl quest and flare quest at the same time. :colbert:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Still want the "every hero gets every talent at once" brawl. I don't care if they need to rebuild the entire engine for it to work, dammit!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Tyrande is lame because she's too well designed and I can't have owl quest and flare quest at the same time. :colbert:

How often do you get 20 flares in a QM game? I just go W because I've never landed 20 without a team that helps set them up.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I always go Lunar Flare because it can get ridiculous. It's also easier to hit than the owl. Just use it when the enemy has no choice but to leave or die, and put it where he is going. Once you get the stacks up you can delete people from Shadowfall or whatever.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

bamhand posted:

How often do you get 20 flares in a QM game? I just go W because I've never landed 20 without a team that helps set them up.

I feel like every qm has some dipshit who just humps towers so I'm guaranteed at least one flare on CD. More if it's one of the idiot magnets like Sylv or Hammer that other people tend to hover around while they're busy being grossly out of postion and ignoring the mini map.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

NeurosisHead posted:

I feel like every qm has some dipshit who just humps towers so I'm guaranteed at least one flare on CD. More if it's one of the idiot magnets like Sylv or Hammer that other people tend to hover around while they're busy being grossly out of postion and ignoring the mini map.

Jesus gently caress, no kidding. I never stack Lunar Flare faster than when there's a bad Hammer on the enemy team. It's pretty much a free hit every time she respawns and sieges up. More if she doesn't get killed during the first stun.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I always go Lunar Flare because it can get ridiculous. It's also easier to hit than the owl. Just use it when the enemy has no choice but to leave or die, and put it where he is going. Once you get the stacks up you can delete people from Shadowfall or whatever.

:psyduck:

Owl does almost as much damage as lunar flare, is almost as wide, and has limitless range. If you're close enough to hit a flare and you can predict where they'll be to hit the flare, you can hit the owl. The owl width increase is very noticeable.

e: and Owl has CDR resets. It's a no-brainer. You still have the full length of stun of Lunar Flare, the burst of your full combo is the same, it's just shifted to your owl.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
The pro thinking behind picking the flare talent is the mana savings.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I usually go with her D talent, because the cooldown reduction on hunters mark synergizes with like every other talent she gets.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I always go Owl talent at level 1. The width increase gives you way more positive-hit stacks throughout the game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

BrianBoitano posted:

:psyduck:

Owl does almost as much damage as lunar flare, is almost as wide, and has limitless range. If you're close enough to hit a flare and you can predict where they'll be to hit the flare, you can hit the owl. The owl width increase is very noticeable.

e: and Owl has CDR resets. It's a no-brainer. You still have the full length of stun of Lunar Flare, the burst of your full combo is the same, it's just shifted to your owl.

I don't put anything else into Lunar Blaze. You take the level 1 talent and that is all you need. Putting your points into owl cuts out too many other talents imo.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Level 1 owl build synergizes with Empower at level 13. Lunar Flare doesn't synergize with anything.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

Level 1 owl build synergizes with Empower at level 13. Lunar Flare doesn't synergize with anything.

Try this build for making GBS threads out heals, having 100% uptime on hunters mark and completely loving a single enemy every 20 seconds.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here's an article about Blizzard improving the AI: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21033994

quote:

All Heroes released since Garrosh use the new system, and with each update of the game, more of the older Heroes are transitioned to the new system.

I haven't really noticed something special about the Garrosh AI, but KT AI definitely knows to chain. When I had one on my team (disconnected player) it also tried to Shadow Fissure people I Shoved into a wall, although that doesn't really work since they recover from the stun too quickly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
But will Lost Viking still run around in a clump like a snack pack of K'T Treats? This is important.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I bought Diablo last night, and boy is it fun to bodyslam-charge people into your team. I'm not quite sure how to build him or which R is best. The runes seem pretty hard to hit with and I've never been frightened by a Diablo doing the channeled spell. Any tips?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Jeremor posted:

I bought Diablo last night, and boy is it fun to bodyslam-charge people into your team. I'm not quite sure how to build him or which R is best. The runes seem pretty hard to hit with and I've never been frightened by a Diablo doing the channeled spell. Any tips?

Always take Apocalypse, use it when the other team has been slowed, rooted, or stunned and/or is grouped up so it's difficult to find a safe place to stand in the chaos. It's not an initiation CC it's a pile-on CC.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The area of apoc when everyone is grouped up is crazy. Also consider using the archangel skin if you have it, the apoc runes are so hard to see that the skin is banned from competitive play (hots is p2w!)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah apocalypse is definitely his better ult. It has a long start up time so if you're trying to use it on one individual hero you probably won't hit BUT you have to consider that it places a big-rear end rune on each hero. In teamfights, suddenly you're looking at an area the size of 5x runes that stuns anybody left in it when it goes off. And on maps like the mines where everyone is fighting in tight spaces? It's basically a "win" button. It's super good.

Sometimes though I'll take the fire breath when the other team doesn't have any burst damage because it's real funny to watch their attacks plink off him while you spray fire into their faces.

Other tips:

I almost always take soul stone = increased health regen over spell armor. The spell armor can be nice when you're facing a ton of casters but the health regen at 100 soul stone is just so absurd. You don't even need a healer really, any time you take some damage you can just back off for a little bit and you're back to being a mountain of HP.

Generally I go for a shadow charge build. Shadow charge increased range + shadow charge quest + overpower resets shadow charge turns it into a high damage, multi-purpose attack.

You should be shadow charging/overpowering in 3 instances:

1: You know you can hit someone into a wall. Do a charge, overpower, fire stomp combo and you can actually do a nice chunk of damage.

2: You can force someone into your team. Diablo is SO GOOD at early game ganks. Watch for someone to push up just a little too far in their lane then come in and overpower - shadow charge. Suddenly they're halfway between the gates, hurt, and with your teammates in their face

3: You need to peel someone off your squishies. Diablo is super good at peeling since he can reposition the other team so well and has such high hp.

Fire stomp is great for farming minions/camps. Because of this Diablo is especially good at maps that require you to kill minions, such as the mines.

Trade Chat Troll
Jan 22, 2010
Tired of playing Tassadar in QM, looking at this Play 3 Support Games quest. Perfect time to open Stukov in my level 475 crate :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Trade Chat Troll posted:

Tired of playing Tassadar in QM, looking at this Play 3 Support Games quest. Perfect time to open Stukov in my level 475 crate :toot:

how could anyone possibly get tired of playing autoattacksadar in QM?