Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Beasteh posted:

Maybe don't engage with the guy who takes every single thing anyone says literally to the most autistic of extremes (and I mean that in the very literal actual sense, not the meme one)

I realize you tried to put this in a way that makes disputing it look like it'd just be proving you right, but "taking things to autistic extremes" is still a not a thing

Like I know this isn't probably isn't going to do anything great reputation here, but putting "literally" in front of something don't mean you're not making a gross statement about autistic people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Bloody Pom posted:

I mean that exact section was in the exact same place in Sonic 2, so... :shrug:

Shamelessly gonna quote myself again since it's coming up again

Ventana posted:

It's pretty great that it's the year 2017 and people are still dying to Chemical Plant act 1 on the water section

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Bad Seafood posted:

Played some more Mania last night and I just wanted to say that I think Press Garden is a pretty cool stage, thank you.

Did you know that there's a lightning shield and secret ring around 25 seconds into zone 1? This game has so much hidden poo poo its unreal

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

The vertical shaft with rotating blocks that have an enormous pinchbox coupled with how easy it is to fall right back into that shaft, mainly.

There's nothing fun about that part and from what I saw it's unavoidable, and it's annoying when I'm taking turns with some friends and the flow just gets completely hosed up because anyone without a ton of platformer experience keeps dying over and over
As others said, it isn't unavoidable. Take the top route at the start and continue going high. You'll never see it. You can also take the bottom route and switch up on one of the helixes. It's basically your punishment for falling down at any point in the level, though.

You have to avoid it to speed run the level.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Someone has put out some level maps for Mania: http://imgur.com/a/ZiVoQ?grid

Compare them to level maps of the previous games, they are crazily big levels.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Witnessed my brother, a blue sphere vet, instinctively jump through a red sphere wall six deep unmolested on a map new to him. Is this what it means to git gud?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

School Nickname posted:

Witnessed my brother, a blue sphere vet, instinctively jump through a red sphere wall six deep unmolested on a map new to him. Is this what it means to git gud?

Yep. I used to be able to do that kind of bullshit when I was a kid but it ain't loving happening now.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Well this was the game meant for him then. My sister was waiting for Twin Peaks: The Return. My brother was waiting for Sonic Mania. He's even gotten the hang of the mania levels with the green spheres he tells me. I guess I have to wait for either Warhawk rebooted or a future Dark Souls.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

School Nickname posted:

Well this was the game meant for him then. My sister was waiting for Twin Peaks: The Return. My brother was waiting for Sonic Mania.

Me, I was waiting for both so the last two months have been awesome.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Christ, Titanic Monarch 1. No Act 2 though?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

welp I finally got through the boss of OOZ, although I deflected so hard off my first two game overs that I beat Freedom Planet twice over before I did. FP was really good, although having now done both the story and arcade mode, the latter is definitely the way to go. I do wish there had been a little less combat in its latter parts.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

do yourselveses a favor and open it like this http://imgur.com/a/ZiVoQ cause that imgur grid thing is awful

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Dabir posted:

Christ, Titanic Monarch 1. No Act 2 though?

too big to fit on the internet

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Bodyholes posted:

too big to fit on the internet

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Amazing!

I got this game for my PS4 and have had to halt at Lava Reef so I don't blow through the whole thing. I adore this Sonic game. I'd even go so far as to say it is the best Sonic game ever. It even has the best version of my most favourite zone ever in it; Hydrocity.

I look forward to whatever Christian and the gang work on next!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

has hoobastank even been relevant since like 2001

That's what makes them perfect for Sonic.

Also they're called Hoobastank

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The Act 2 boss of Hydrocity goes on way too long, the tunnel section would have been enough.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

100% way past cool :cool:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Frankston posted:

100% way past cool :cool:

Now max out the score counter. :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Cool, didn't realize the GHZ 2 boss had finite space.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Cool, didn't realize the GHZ 2 boss had finite space.

I died on my first attempt because I was being too cautious and ran out of level :shrek:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Another fun Flynn story, when he was talking to Sega about 06 stuff, he asked if they wanted him to use Mephilies in the comic, Sega's response, to the letter was.

"No, Mephiles is dead."

Which is why we wont see him in forces, as far as Sega is concerned, the character is dead and will never appear again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Beasteh posted:

Did you know that there's a lightning shield and secret ring around 25 seconds into zone 1? This game has so much hidden poo poo its unreal
I actually haven't found any of the emerald stages yet, not that I've been looking for them. My habit with this sort of game is to complete a casual run-through, then look for secrets. I've been checking off blue spheres, but that's about it.

Tangentially, might just be age, but it feels like the blue sphere stages speed up a little faster than they used to, back when Sonic 3 & Knuckles was out.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

Another fun Flynn story, when he was talking to Sega about 06 stuff, he asked if they wanted him to use Mephilies in the comic, Sega's response, to the letter was.

"No, Mephiles is dead."

Which is why we wont see him in forces, as far as Sega is concerned, the character is dead and will never appear again.

Not that I wan't to see Mephilies ever again, but he was playable in that mobile endless runner, 'Sonic Runners' near the end of its life time, and that wasn't too long ago. Not that a free to play game on your phone is quite the same league as Forces, but he was briefly brought back again by someone connected to Sega with bizarre decision making skills.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I actually haven't found any of the emerald stages yet, not that I've been looking for them. My habit with this sort of game is to complete a casual run-through, then look for secrets. I've been checking off blue spheres, but that's about it.

Tangentially, might just be age, but it feels like the blue sphere stages speed up a little faster than they used to, back when Sonic 3 & Knuckles was out.

The music speed-up pattern from Sonic 3 is burned into my brain from playing it so drat much as a kid, and I'm positive the Mania stages are exactly the same.

However, I believe they slightly increased the time between speedups in Sonic & Knuckles, and that carried over into S3&K, so that could be what people are remembering. I'm having a really hard time finding S&K standalone runs on Youtube though (everything is S3&K), so I can't confirm this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Playing it again, I probably just don't remember the exact speed from when I was a kid, I'm just rusty.

Also also, snagged my first emerald. I like this new special stage. I also like how it features the birds from the very first Sonic special stage.

This whole game really is one big love letter to the classics. I know that's not a surprise, it was even advertised that way, but it's the little things that make you realize just how much they care.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I gotta say the Hard Boiled Heavies' boss theme is pretty rad and probably my favorite from the OST

the whole soundtrack is groovy as hell and I wish more games today had sick beats like Sonic Mania

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I just happened to watch Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation "review" of this game and unsurprisingly he talks about buttholes and kinda shits on it. I don't know why I expected more, or why I was still subscribed to their Youtube channel. :v:

Then I rewatched Dunkey's review because it's just happy. He's so excited about this game. 5/5 mastahpeece. :unsmith:

Bad Seafood posted:

Playing it again, I probably just don't remember the exact speed from when I was a kid, I'm just rusty.

Also also, snagged my first emerald. I like this new special stage. I also like how it features the birds from the very first Sonic special stage.

This whole game really is one big love letter to the classics. I know that's not a surprise, it was even advertised that way, but it's the little things that make you realize just how much they care.

The special stages are so well-tuned, and I love how they go from "Mario Kart 50cc" to "F-Zero with a brick on the gas pedal" as you progress.

And yeah, it is chock-full of references and the game is almost never overt about them, which I appreciate. Especially all the Game Gear and side-game stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DizzyBum posted:

I just happened to watch Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation "review" of this game and unsurprisingly he talks about buttholes and kinda shits on it. I don't know why I expected more, or why I was still subscribed to their Youtube channel. :v:

Yahtzee shits on everything. Even the stuff he likes he shits on.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

the dunk's description on his youtube mania review is the best poo poo ever

'the blue bitch crawls out of his grave for one final slam.'

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
why are you watching yahtzee in the year of our lord 2017 lol

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I miss watching Yahtzee's weekend show with his aussie buddy, but it made it pretty clear ZP is just a gimmick he is still somehow making money off.

Also the gimmick hates Sonic so any positive energy at all is shocking. Though to be fair, if you're not being objective and you're just shooting out reviews, lots of people aren't going to be too impressed with mania. I know lots of people who either think all platformers need to be torture platformers or just can't connect with platformers full stop.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
lets not kid ourselves, mania is not perfect. I like it a lot, but it has issues

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VideoGames posted:

I got this game for my PS4 and have had to halt at Lava Reef so I don't blow through the whole thing. I adore this Sonic game. I'd even go so far as to say it is the best Sonic game ever. It even has the best version of my most favourite zone ever in it; Hydrocity.

that was the worst zone in the game tho.

worse than lava reef even!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I was super disappointed with Hydrocity. Best zone in the franchise, probably the worst in Mania. Way too many pointless gimmicks.

Love the act 1 boss though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I liked ZP when it was the new thing, but eventually lost interest. I only watched the Sonic Mania one because I was curious, and reaffirmed why I didn't bother with it anymore.

Of course Mania is not a perfect game, but it is great, and IMO anyone that's liked Sonic at any point should try it. A lot of love and care went into it, and it shows.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

lets not kid ourselves, mania is not perfect. I like it a lot, but it has issues

why do people always say this every time a game is well-received as if they are making a point.
every game has issues. there are no perfect games.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, is a perfect game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Augus posted:

why do people always say this every time a game is well-received as if they are making a point.
every game has issues. there are no perfect games.

Look at this scrub who never played Chu Chu Rocket

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

sharrrk posted:

It canonized the name Robotnik in Japan, so I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

sharrrk posted:

:yeah: