Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="“CLAM DOWN”" post="“476369242”"]
Lmao looks like the people who said you’re just a lovely troll or an Amazon shill were right, gently caress off.
[/quote]

I think aws is dogshit to be honest, at least compared to GCP(which is stupid in other ways). Azure is a poo poo show worse then the other two. The cloud isn’t a panacea and in a lot of places makes no sense, but dismissing it out of hand and conflating that running aws with what be fundamental changes in how we janitor computers seems shortsighted.

You are just a cranky bastard who has been lovely all day. If you want to make a good faith argument then Im sorry but you posting history hasn’t bore that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Punkbob posted:

I think aws is dogshit to be honest, at least compared to GCP(which is stupid in other ways). Azure is a poo poo show worse then the other two. The cloud isn’t a panacea and in a lot of places makes no sense, but dismissing it out of hand and conflating that running aws with what be fundamental changes in how we janitor computers seems shortsighted.

You are just a cranky bastard who has been lovely all day. If you want to make a good faith argument then Im sorry but you posting history hasn’t bore that out.

anthonypants posted:

I don't know why anyone else is bothering, we could all be quoting your posts and replying with "lol" and it would be just as effective.

lol

e: oh my god it's true, you're basically the cloud version of DAF

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

He's saying a lot of things that are correct, though in a very combative tone. DaF was obnoxious and also wrong, mostly.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
IT thread is angry today.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think we're not asking the right questions here such as:

Is Punkbob a brony/furry yes or no?

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 13, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

big money big clit posted:

He's saying a lot of things that are correct, though in a very combative tone. DaF was obnoxious and also wrong, mostly.

As much as I would like to make fun of DAF he wasn't mostly wrong. He was just batshit crazy viewpoints of work/life balance. (Not that he wasn't wrong from time to time)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

IT thread is angry today.

drat loving straight. I even sent a snarky email to a user who was all "how can I know you did my request if I only get an email that says my request was closed?" (this person has been here for years, and literally 100 tickets created with them as the client, meaning they've gotten the closed email 100 times)

Bitch you sent the request in personally, and if you didn't know what "closed" meant, why are we only hearing about it 2 weeks later?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sickening posted:

As much as I would like to make fun of DAF he wasn't mostly wrong. He was just batshit crazy viewpoints of work/life balance. (Not that he wasn't wrong from time to time)

Agreed, he was technically correct but one of those toxic co-workers.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Maybe it's having a kid or getting older or what but I can't imagine giving any sort of a crap how someone chooses to post, certainly not enough to discuss it.

Also can I just point out that my avatar was purchased by DAF and he went to school with a member of my own family and I still think about him less than some of you do? Might be time to move on from a guy posting about working a lot like 3 years ago.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

If you guys say his name too much you're going to summon his ghost.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Maybe it's having a kid or getting older or what but I can't imagine giving any sort of a crap how someone chooses to post, certainly not enough to discuss it.

Also can I just point out that my avatar was purchased by DAF and he went to school with a member of my own family and I still think about him less than some of you do? Might be time to move on from a guy posting about working a lot like 3 years ago.

Not empty quoting.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sickening posted:

He vastly overestimated his knowledge and it lead to a lot of posts where he spoke beyond his comfort level about things he didn't really know.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Punkbob posted:

Can you only buy software from Canadian companies? What about peering or transit? If your argument is that you can only use Canadian stuff I hope you audit the hell out of all the software you use. Wouldn’t want someone to slip in a backdoor.

The whole data stays in canada thing is limited to data-at-rest, I'm pretty sure.

I remember having a conversation with some important guy at a post secondary. Universities/colleges have the requirement of 'hey don't store student info in the US', but if BGP does something wacky like route traffic from Edmonton to Toronto through Chicago, it's okay.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BGP written by the NSA confirmed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Punkbob posted:

I think aws is dogshit to be honest, at least compared to GCP(which is stupid in other ways). Azure is a poo poo show worse then the other two.

This comment after all your cloud evangelizing made me bust out with a big fat lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Look I put a NAS in my basement so now I am the cloud. Give me your bits.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

This comment after all your cloud evangelizing made me bust out with a big fat lol

I don’t get hung up on the cloud as much as you all do. The win for me is that even dogshit azure is light years ahead of bespoke unmanaged rhel installs on site.

If openshift was magical and not a nightmare I’d look at running that if cost and availability made sense. But running your own cloud and having your own people on staff requires a scale that most people don’t have or want to pay for. By going with the cloud providers I get an incredible tool set to do what I need to do. If you run VMs now and also say the cloud is stupid In general then I think you are crazy. I also would think that you are gonna be caught unawares like exchange engineers were when o365 dropped.

The features that the cloud provides are 100x better then what onsite VMware provides and I don’t need to spend my time janitoring individual luns.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Punkbob posted:

I don’t get hung up on the cloud as much as you all do. The win for me is that even dogshit azure is light years ahead of bespoke unmanaged rhel installs on site.

If openshift was magical and not a nightmare I’d look at running that if cost and availability made sense. But running your own cloud and having your own people on staff requires a scale that most people don’t have or want to pay for. By going with the cloud providers I get an incredible tool set to do what I need to do. If you run VMs now and also say the cloud is stupid In general then I think you are crazy. I also would think that you are gonna be caught unawares like exchange engineers were when o365 dropped.

The features that the cloud provides are 100x better then what onsite VMware provides and I don’t need to spend my time janitoring individual luns.
I'm sorry that you are incapable of managing a RHEL server. Maybe after a few more years on the helpdesk and with plenty of help, you'll have the experience you need to be a server administrator.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Punkbob posted:

I think you need to spend a little less time huffing your own farts and realize that there is a big ol' IT world out there. Read your posts over the past few pages and then read Vulture Culture's.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Methanar posted:

The whole data stays in canada thing is limited to data-at-rest, I'm pretty sure.

I remember having a conversation with some important guy at a post secondary. Universities/colleges have the requirement of 'hey don't store student info in the US', but if BGP does something wacky like route traffic from Edmonton to Toronto through Chicago, it's okay.

This is true. The College I work at is in the process of migrating email to O365 and enabling OneDrive for users because Microsoft now guarantees all the data will be stored in Canada. It also helps that Microsoft is providing their cloud services for free to schools.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Punkbob posted:

The features of VMware and public cloud are somewhat orthogonal. They aren't really directly comparable. VMware is good for pets, AWS isn't.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Punkbob posted:

You don't get why I think it's funny.

There are other cloud evangelists posting here, including an aws employee, and they aren't even close to being as insufferable as you.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Iron Rose posted:

Actually straight up something my partner had to deal with the other day. At least for financial companies, Canadian law on the matter is that you straight up have to store all of your data in Canada. Not sure if it's only with Canadian firms, but it might well be.

huuuuge pain in the rear end since not only does AWS become instantly unusable, but you can't even use gsuite, OneDrive or O365, not even loving dropbox for cloud based storage.

Ironically at my job which is adjacent to pharmas we're A-OK and make use of AWS, gsuite and the like extensively.

Basically this. Everything has to be stored in Canada. As stated, this makes some things a massive pain. Why use computers when these clinics/lawyers can all just keep using paper like they always have :cry:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

[...] a lot of posts where he spoke beyond his comfort level about things he didn't really know.

online_discusions.txt

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I bet equifax used the cloud

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Verizon one, with its two-day maintenance period.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The features of VMware and public cloud are somewhat orthogonal. They aren't really directly comparable. VMware is good for pets, AWS isn't.

How is one IaaS Virt. solution better for pets than the other?

As far as I'm concerned a host is a host regardless of if you own the host in your datacenter or just hosted in Amazons.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

As far as I'm concerned a host is a host regardless of if you own the host in your datacenter or just hosted in Amazons.

You generally control the host in VMware. Not happening in aws. That’s how I took it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the hardware that your VMware VM is running on fucks itself up, your VM will boot up somewhere else. In AWS/Azure/Google Cloud you will wake up to a notification unless you've done the work yourself to handle deployment of a new VM, loading a configuration etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Well, one example is that in AWS you used to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to extend a drive. This was due to limitations in XenServer. You had to shut down an instance, take a snapshot of the EBS volume, then re-deploy the volume with a larger size from the snapshot, then start the instance.

You can do it live now, thanks to XenServer enhancements, but it was like that for quite a while.

Want access to a console? Your IaaS choice may mean you don't get access.

To say that one IaaS platform is the same as another is over-simplifying things, IMO. It's like saying VMware, Hyper-V, and XenServer are the same. Not to mention all the other choices out there. They're not the same and there are some fairly significant differences.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Kvm/qemu.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

VMware clustering is designed foremost with availability of individual VMs as the primary focus. AWS makes no guarantees about individual instance availability and will bring down hosts and their associates instances for a number of reasons. The instances must be stopped and restarted on another host. Auto-recovery may or may not be supported depending on the instance type and configuration.

AWS is built to be very reliable in aggregate when applications are designed appropriately, not for a single special snowflake instance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the subject of how architecture for IaaS platforms differs from just thinking like a VMware cluster but bigger, I've always viewed the Kerio (mail server software popular in Mac shops that don't like change) approach to 'cloud' as being a great example in what not to do. Take the changes made to Exchange over the last few releases in terms of the reduction in storage throughput requirements, clustering features etc etc which has led to Exchange Online being a viable product.

Compare that with the Kerio approach to the cloud which from being a partner as they went through this period seemed to be based around talking down O365/Google Apps, emphasising the importance of having your mail server for your 60 person ad agency in the corner of your office, and then going into a blind panic and purchasing a company that was hosting your product, and calling it 'Cloud'. AFAIK the solution still runs on 'enterprise' servers and FC SAN and availability is provided by throwing VMware licensing into the mix (not sure whether they went as far as FT or not). They quote a 99.8% SLA with one-hour maintenance windows scheduled each week because each server is unique and there's no concept of clustering built into the application.

I can't imagine the leadership that got them into that position, but they're pretty much hosed now.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Most of my applications today are pets. As time marches on, more and more of them will be replaced by a SaaS solution, maintained by a third party. Even if most of them go away, I need an internal infrastructure. I will have special snowflake poo poo until the end of time. In 10 years, the bulk of my internal infrastructure will probably be reporting services that aggregates data back to my datacenter from ~the cloud~ so the smart reporting guys can easily create views and joins to manipulate the data and create cool visualizations. The remaining stuff will be supporting servers and a few pets that never made the jump to SaaS.

I am still going to have network admins, server admins, and helpdesk. I am still going to have data analysts and business analysts. I would wager that my staff will increase even if the business doesn't grow, as we continue to to automate and take work away from other back office functions.

Third party technology service providers will continue to migrate their platforms to a SaaS delivery. As long as I still get to access the data, that's ok with me. It's not the end of IT, and it will only further complicate things rather than make them simpler.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Did somebody really call Clam Down grumpy, as if this is the first time they've ever seen Clam Down post? He's lovably grumpy, and always has been.

He's the quintessential IT poster.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Shhhhh let him experience The Clam

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Really. Did you just call yourself the clam.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

How many caesars do you drink in a week

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Anytime somebody says "VMware" all it does is remind me how much I hate the loving console. Both in thick client and web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What's wrong with the VMware console? I mean it's no ConsoleOne.