Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A legless indian man smuggled himself up a fat man's rear end in this episode of X-files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All the asses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Finally got around to watching the Orville and, yeah, it's more or less what I expected. Dial down the sarcasm and jokes a little bit and you'd have a decently average Star Trek episode, albeit with slightly underdeveloped characters (I'll give it a pass for that, though, because all the Treks since TNG have had double length premieres to introduce the crew). The effects were better than I expected, though I anticipate more of the prosthetic aliens instead of the numerous CGI ones in the pilot, but that's fine and is more Trek anyway.

The score and sets were on point, though the cinematography was just modern enough to take me out of it--one thing that makes Star Trek feel like Star Trek is the extended three-quarters shots used during conversions between characters, and it was all quick head-and-shoulder shots in The Orville. They nailed the ship flight and bridge scenes, though. The score was good, too.

All in all, I'll give Seth McFarlane' Star Trek self-insert fanfic a few more episodes. The season trailer was promising.

While you're right about the dialogue shots, they also did some trek style walk and talks and transition shots. There's even a spiral staircase, presumably for no other reason than that DS9 had one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The "fade to black" commercial transitions accompanied by a orchestral sting was one of the best TNG references I saw on the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Expanse is a lot better than I thought it'd be

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

The Expanse is a lot better than I thought it'd be
We told you it was the new BSG :colbert:

How far in are you?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress Scientology episode 5 is jaw dropping. David Miscavige episode... wow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Despite the reviews The Orville premiere was a smash, posting the highest rating in the demo for a scripted program since This Is Us.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Despite the reviews The Orville premiere was a smash, posting the highest rating in the demo for a scripted program since This Is Us.
That's 100% because it followed Cowboys/Giants. Ratings will tank next week and continue to tank thereafter. Fox are morons if they renew anytime soon.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Is FX really doing this? I think its a prank or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

That's 100% because it followed Cowboys/Giants. Ratings will tank next week and continue to tank thereafter. Fox are morons if they renew anytime soon.
Cowboys/Giants was on NBC at the same time.

People in this thread should actually look up stuff before they concoct their hot rear end takes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not that bad reviews can prevent something from doing really well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Cowboys/Giants was on NBC at the same time.

People in this thread should actually look up stuff before they concoct their hot rear end takes.
I google "Cowboys/Giants" and saw 4:25pm. That's for their December 10 game though :downs:

Fox aired Seattle @ Green Bay at 4pm which is still a huge game.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

Does Insecure merit the hype? I'm looking for a new show with a small back catalog

Try Comrade Detective. Felt a little long but the ending was great.

And about Bojack, I really do feel that Lady Dynamite did a better version of making depression engrossing and interesting. Bojack....is just kinda depressing.

e:

Lurdiak posted:

A legless indian man smuggled himself up a fat man's rear end in this episode of X-files.

lol, have you ever heard of a little movie called the The Manitou

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 13, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I watched Orville and have no idea what people are seeing in it. It's incredibly unfunny and charmless and it looks like poo poo to boot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hakkesshu posted:

I watched Orville and have no idea what people are seeing in it. It's incredibly unfunny and charmless and it looks like poo poo to boot.

Being a Trek sendup/ripoff it's supposed to look a bit poo poo.

The comedy wasn't very good but I'm willing to give it another chance.

Basically if they let Seth do the Trek stuff and threw Mel Brooks into the fountain of youth and got him to do the jokes the show would 100% work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

gently caress Scientology episode 5 is jaw dropping. David Miscavige episode... wow.

I was just having my morning coffee and wondering what to watch while I wake-n-bake and you just solved my problem. :cheers:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also if they're being true to Star Trek series, the first season has to suck.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

Does Insecure merit the hype? I'm looking for a new show with a small back catalog

Is it particularly hyped?

I like it well enough. If a show about black women (and tangentially men) in their 20s and what that's like in 2017 appeals to you, you might well do too, but then I also like stuff like Crazy Ex Girlfriend and You're the Worst.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shageletic posted:

lol, have you ever heard of a little movie called the The Manitou

FACT: The Manitou is an excellent movie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I, bored on an Sunday afternoon, watched this movie.

It was both better and worse than I expected.

[Edit: If you're wondering why I bothered, it's because I was hoping that Adam Sandler, free of the studio shackles, would start making movies like Happy Gilmore again. Plus I like Terry Crews and Jorge Garcia.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 13, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Being a Trek sendup/ripoff it's supposed to look a bit poo poo.

C'mon now, dude... c'mon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

raditts posted:

C'mon now, dude... c'mon.

Couch Chat invariably turns into the Bad Opinion Zone when scifi older than nuBSG is concerned.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wasn't trying to be critical of Star Trek; I love TNG. But Treks all look a bit poo poo. It's syndicated sci fi, so of course it does.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

I wasn't trying to be critical of Star Trek; I love TNG. But Treks all look a bit poo poo. It's syndicated sci fi, so of course it does.

I'll admit that I used to think the chairs in the Observation Lounge looked amazingly comfortable, but recent rewatches have shown me that they're just regular old "nice" office chairs from 1987.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

That's not the part I was referring to, it was the assertion that this show looks like poo poo because it's "supposed to"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

That's not the part I was referring to, it was the assertion that this show looks like poo poo because it's "supposed to"

Only a bit poo poo, but yes?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

FACT: The Manitou is an excellent movie.

Inexplicably bizaare and awesome, just like Lifeforce

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Only a bit poo poo, but yes?

or, y'know, maybe since pretty much every other aspect of the show is cheap looking and amateurish, it might not be intentional.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

or, y'know, maybe since pretty much every other aspect of the show is cheap looking and amateurish, it might not be intentional.

Sure, that could be, I wasn't trying to make excuses for Seth McFarlane or anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Never heard of the podcast, but this looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnuT2TLvLQ

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
re Insecure: yeah it's good! second season was a fair improvement on the first, too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Never heard of the podcast, but this looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnuT2TLvLQ

The podcast is OK, I stopped listening because the host was getting really annoying about plugging his books in it and his wroting and delivery is a bit too...breathless? I get why people might like a show that plays up acting like all these myths could be real but it wasn't really for me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Trek fans and nostalgia.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

re Insecure: yeah it's good! second season was a fair improvement on the first, too.

Wasn't for me, a little too soap opera in a relationship kinda way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Trek fans and nostalgia.

100% of the appeal to me is its direct star trek references. I have no idea what anyone would see in it if they haven't watched hundreds of hours of star trek.

Edit: It's like how Stranger Things reminded people of the aesthic of 80s things, and they loved it because it pushed those nostalgia buttons. That, but for star trek.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 13, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TBS has renewed “People of Earth”, “Wrecked”, and “The Guest Book".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

bull3964 posted:

TBS has renewed “People of Earth”

This is good, and right.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I finally got to watching the pilot for the Deuce. It's the best first episode of a David Simon I've seen yet. The characters were compelling and there were some really beautifully done moments - I loved how Candy's phone messages transitioned from whore life to real life as she was stripping off her whore gear. No idea how things are going to tie together, obviously, but they presented a world I really want to dive into deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's just as thoughtful and smart as any other Simon show with the added bonus of being pretty damned entertaining.

• Locked thread