Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Khorne posted:

Trivial to automate and make an endless supply of all ores starting in the early-mid game. I'm not big on balance but it's unbelievably cheap cost wise for what it does, and the pack doesn't really seem to have quarry style stuff besides IE excavator and Bedrock Ore's excavator equivalent which both have reasonable limitations. It also has Environmental Tech's stuff, but they upped the cost for it and it requires a few more resource and 'research' hoops.

So maybe it goes against the pack's theme? It also murders clientside fps (tps is fine). Which is annoying also, but if there's chunk loading you can just set them up far away. It's fine to keep it. I just plan on not using it because it trivializes everything.

I also dislike the canola crap for fps reasons. In theory I like the idea of refining canola. In practice, in-world crafting with high volume fluids is a bad idea. Everything else about AA is alright.

When I get power back I'll take a close look at it. I may disable it or, if I can, maybe increase the cost significantly.

Also, Extra Utilities's Quantum Quarry is enabled as well (set to something like 4 or 5k rf/T instead of the default 20k). I don't mind some automated mining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
1.12 questing mod

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serifina posted:

It's already updated. And in my pack.

Taffer posted:

Shukaro made it and I updated it. It's on every version from 1.7 to 1.12.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/ender-ore/files

I haven't actually tested it on 1.12.1 but I assume it works.
I just tried it in 1.12.1, and it's causing a crash on load.

Toadsmash posted:

It has a couple grindy early game stumbling blocks, but for the most part as long as you're proactive about looking for automation solutions and not just doing something over and over that's obviously taking inordinately extended periods of time, I don't find it grindtastic at all. The closest it ever gets to that is dealing with a vanilla cobblestone generator pre automation, which you won't have to do for long if you make a serious priority of automating it ASAP.

Most of my time wasted has been with wasteful inventory management because I haven't been very smart about how I organized my storage scheme, but that's hardly the fault of the pack's author. Generally, if you spend a very long stretch of time doing the same thing, you've screwed up somewhere or haven't yet automated something that could've been. It's just that kind of pack.

Obviously doesn't lend itself to play by inexperienced players because of that, though. A lot of the tools you'll need to automate things aren't hinted at in the pack's guide whatsoever.
Yeah, I have zero idea how to automate anything in Minecraft (since I tend to get bored with most packs before I get to that point, plus I don't get how to do it in general), so MS2's been really tedious for me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I have zero idea how to automate anything in Minecraft (since I tend to get bored with most packs before I get to that point, plus I don't get how to do it in general), so MS2's been really tedious for me.

Challenge modpacks are big on automation. Like, all of them.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I really like automating poo poo, and I loved Modern Skyblock up until I started metal production, but I wish there was something with progression that didn't require you to know all the mods in advance. I had the same problem in Age of Engineering once I got to Calculator and the mods piled up real fast. Should I just go back and play more factorio or is there something else?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Elswyyr posted:

I really like automating poo poo, and I loved Modern Skyblock up until I started metal production, but I wish there was something with progression that didn't require you to know all the mods in advance. I had the same problem in Age of Engineering once I got to Calculator and the mods piled up real fast. Should I just go back and play more factorio or is there something else?

Both MSB2 and AoE have guides. MSB2 has two -- one is available from the inventory menu (the book on the upper left corner) and there's a sky resources-specific guide available by hitting 'G'. AoE has the same inventory menu guide, and there's an excellent player-written guide that goes into even more detail. (Switch the document to view mode to erase all the graffiti.)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just tried it in 1.12.1, and it's causing a crash on load.

Dangit. I'll try to take a look tonight.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Yeah, but in fairness, MSB2's guides aren't super helpful for automating a ton of things, other than to say you should do it. Mostly it's just the stuff that Sky Resources-specific stuff helps you automate, which is a fairly narrow range.

Extra Utilities and Embers are the two biggest mods that have a ton of stuff that will help you with automation at all stages of the game and aren't covered in the guide. Those are also in almost every 1.10+ pack you'll find, though, so if you take the time to figure those out, they'll make your life easier in a ton of other packs, too.

It's also not helpful with Immersive Engineering, but IE has great in game documentation, unlike Embers.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's a bit funny that after all these years and tons of automation and inventive and unique mods that mob grinders and cobblegens are still a mandatory part of every game.

Serifina posted:

Skyblock is next on my list to do. The only one I know of is Modern Skyblock which is apparently super grindtastic?

looking forward to it!

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Both MSB2 and AoE have guides. MSB2 has two -- one is available from the inventory menu (the book on the upper left corner) and there's a sky resources-specific guide available by hitting 'G'. AoE has the same inventory menu guide, and there's an excellent player-written guide that goes into even more detail. (Switch the document to view mode to erase all the graffiti.)

Oh yeah I used those (MSB2 was just fine with guides up until I start making machines), but in MSB2 I suddenly had access to a shitload of mods (Embers, TechReborn?, probably some other stuff I missed) that I know nothing about. AoE was fine for learning basic IC2 and TiCon in the first Age, but once I got to IE, AA and Calculator I felt like I didn't really know what options I had anymore.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

but but... then what did i watch on some youtube vid a while back where it terraforms the land?

because that's the entire point of the modpack?

Is that from blood magic?

I believe you're thinking of the Arcane Thaumic Terraformer for Regrowth, or the Totem of Dawn/Dawn Machine from Blightfall.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Bhodi posted:

looking forward to it!

Don't get too hype over it. It's gonna be a while since I haven't even started. And it's likely use Botania's Garden of Glass as the base.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

A simple drop tower mob grinder got me all the gunpowder I ever needed until I reached Botania stage and could dramatic ramp up my production of stuff by turning stacks of flint into gunpowder with a mana pool. (It never seemed enough at first but after getting secundus alchemical dust everything becomes easier)

..also I really recommend that style of mob farm over any other because you'll really want the bloodsplats from mobs falling to their death for EvilCraft later on.
lever.

Exactly which kind of grinder are you talking about and how far away are you placing it? I had set up one with a single water channel dropping 24 blocks and stuff rarely fell out of it unless I went up and took a few pot shots. Witches and golems would survive the drop and make my life hell at the bottom. I was pondering wooden spikes at the bottom, but it wouldn't help my spawn rate. I was having better luck make the one where you just go around cutting all the mob's shins.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Exactly which kind of grinder are you talking about and how far away are you placing it? I had set up one with a single water channel dropping 24 blocks and stuff rarely fell out of it unless I went up and took a few pot shots. Witches and golems would survive the drop and make my life hell at the bottom. I was pondering wooden spikes at the bottom, but it wouldn't help my spawn rate. I was having better luck make the one where you just go around cutting all the mob's shins.

The bog standard mob drop tower I do is to build a 4x4 (2x2 internal hole) tower 24 blocks tall. Eight blocks per layer (ignore the corners, basically.) At the top, extend each section of wall horizontally until it's 8 blocks long. This is how far a water source block will travel. Then, build walls 2 high along the 2x8 water channel. Climb on top of those walls, and build horizontal platforms for the mobs to spawn, then surround that with 2 high walls. Put a ceiling on top so it's a 2 high room inside, and make sure to either light up the top or put half slabs down. Go back inside, and place half-slabs on the floor of the spawning platform every 2 blocks, so spiders can't spawn. (You want to have no flat 2x2 horizontal areas, basically.) Put water in the channels, and make a bunch of trapdoors and place them along the channel such that when you open them, you can walk right across. Make sure they're all opened, so mobs can drop into the channels.

The purpose of the trapdoors is to exploit mob pathing AI. They'll interpret the trapdoor as a block they can walk on, even when it's open, so they'll happily path on top of it and fall in the water channel.

Build this tower close to where you spend most of your time. The sweet spot for mob spawns is between 24 and 32 blocks, as this is the area where they'll spawn, and move of their own accord. Further than 32 blocks, and they won't move at all.

24 blocks isn't lethal damage for witches, golems, or any armored mob, so you'll need to add spikes and/or murderholes to the bottom. And since you left the corner wall pieces out, you can just stand in the corner to collect loot! (Useful before you have access to hoppers and such.)

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I found that MSB2 is deceptively non-grindy, but it's not really a guided modpack. The in game manual tells you how to use most of the new sky resources stuff, and what materials act as gates to get to the next tier; everything else is stuff you have to figure out for yourself. Seems mostly geared toward players already familiar with the major mods of the last 3 years.

While it seems like the primary resources are mob drops, you actually use fewer and fewer of them as you progress, rather than more. For example, starting out with a wood condenser & tier 1 alchemical dust you might get 1 or 2 iron ingots from 1 zombie flesh & 2 gunpowder. With tier 3 dust & a signalum / enderium condenser / casing, you will get a stack or two. Plus once you have a rf powered combustion chamber & rock crusher, you can automate gunpowder production by crushing 1 cobble -> 3 gravel -> 9 sand + 1 or 2 flint, then combusting the flint to make gunpowder & smelting the sand & feeding the glass into your condenser setup.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the flint thing is sort of weird to me because my mob drop tower is producing so much of everything that i am burning through packing tape on full drawers at a rather uncomfortable pace

also, yeah, regarding the teching up:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's the recommended way to install mods nowadays? FTB just installs some stupid twitch poo poo and technic pack just crashes whenever I try to run a modpack off it and also the modpacks are poo poo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OwlFancier posted:

What's the recommended way to install mods nowadays? FTB just installs some stupid twitch poo poo and technic pack just crashes whenever I try to run a modpack off it and also the modpacks are poo poo.

Ugly as it is, the Twitch client is probably the best way these days. It used to be the Curse client, but Twitch bought Curse and hosed with a perfectly functional launcher. Most established modpacks use the Twitch client.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Urgh. Great.

Did FTB just close down or something? It used to have its own launcher.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OwlFancier posted:

Urgh. Great.

The FTB launcher still exists, I think, but it's hot garbage compared to the Curse/Twitch one. The latter can piece together ad hoc modpacks directly in the client, with a click-button-receive-mod interface.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The purpose of the trapdoors is to exploit mob pathing AI. They'll interpret the trapdoor as a block they can walk on, even when it's open, so they'll happily path on top of it and fall in the water channel.
I think the trapdoors is the missing link.

OTOH I also have a problem that I am in a cold biome so my water block turned into ice while I was building the grinder. It stayed as water once I closed it in though, which I thought was interesting. Is this a base vanilla rule? Exposed blocks that see falling snow turn into ice?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think the trapdoors is the missing link.

OTOH I also have a problem that I am in a cold biome so my water block turned into ice while I was building the grinder. It stayed as water once I closed it in though, which I thought was interesting. Is this a base vanilla rule? Exposed blocks that see falling snow turn into ice?

Yeah, any water block that can see the sky in a cold biome will freeze to ice. You mitigate this either with a nearby torch or by closing the room.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Messing around in a custom skyblock since MSB2 makes my computer sad, and ran into a recipe conflict where I couldn't make a crucial tool. I forgot those were a thing after playing with packs for so long. A quick google showed me a mod called NoMoreRecipeConflicts, which just lets you cycle through crafting recipes with identical inputs. You're alright sometimes, minecraft modding community. Sometimes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Goon Danton posted:

Messing around in a custom skyblock since MSB2 makes my computer sad, and ran into a recipe conflict where I couldn't make a crucial tool. I forgot those were a thing after playing with packs for so long. A quick google showed me a mod called NoMoreRecipeConflicts, which just lets you cycle through crafting recipes with identical inputs. You're alright sometimes, minecraft modding community. Sometimes.

Oh drat. I thought that had just been built into Forge or something after 1.7.10 because the packs I was trying all seemed to manage that. Well, then.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh drat. I thought that had just been built into Forge or something after 1.7.10 because the packs I was trying all seemed to manage that. Well, then.

No, we're just all using CratTweaker to solve them.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I built this pretty early into the beginning of the game and its bottom is a few blocks to the right of my crafting and storage area, ie where I am most of the time.

OwlFancier posted:

Urgh. Great.

FTB was bought by Curse which was in turn bought by Twitch.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 13, 2017

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Black Pants posted:

FTB was bought by Curse which was in turn bought by Twitch.

Which was previously bought by Amazon!

The circle of liiiife

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How were you all getting extra dirt? It looked like the standard means was to use the survivalist's fishing pole, which requires string. I'd need a dead spider for that. I thought a mob farm with a 2x2 platform wouldn't spawn spiders. Do the trapdoors count in the calculation?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Leaf shearing with clay shears, crafted into plant matter & combusted into dirt. 5 full stacks of leaves = 48 dirt. You can speed it up some by using the enriched bonemeal made from bonemeal & flesh. It also works on ender lillies so as soon as you get one you have functionally infinite ender pearls.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone know how modded minecraft works performance wise for LAN servers? I currently have 5GB RAM allocated to minecraft and a 3.5Ghz processor, should I be able to run a LAN server for me and my gf with no problems? Or would I be better off setting up a third computer/player as a "host" to do all the RAM loading poo poo. For reference 5GB RAM seems to be around the minimum for the pack to start quickly (not sure why). Minecraft also seems to use most of the 5GB when running but when has it ever not used all RAM available lol

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How were you all getting extra dirt? It looked like the standard means was to use the survivalist's fishing pole, which requires string. I'd need a dead spider for that. I thought a mob farm with a 2x2 platform wouldn't spawn spiders. Do the trapdoors count in the calculation?

Make what I showed in the screenshots, dork. And yeah, saplings can be turned into plant matter too if you have any left over.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 13, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

OwlFancier posted:

You can direct download the mods FTB packs use. You have to go to the Files link, then click both the Client and Server versions for the pack you want. Install Forge into your instance, then from the Client zip, put everything in the Overrides folder into your instance's root directory, and from the Server zip, copy all the mods over. If you get about two or three file conflicts, and they're all jars, then you've done it right. (They should be exactly the same files, but keep the Client versions to be safe.)

I've heard that MultiMC will automate installing Twitch modpacks like the Twitch launcher. If not, it will still automate installing Forge and putting the mods into the right place. All you'd need to do properly is the overrides.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I signed up for the twitch launcher but java keeps giving me a rather unhelpfully nonspecific (but different from technic) error whenever I try to load the game now. I think it's memory related but it keeps crashing well before it hits the memory cap I assigned to it, during loading.

Minecraft itself seems to have some kind of weird new launcher as well that the twitch thing just installs packs into? Trying to fiddle with that to see if that's what's breaking it.

Urgh this was all much easier the last several times I did it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 14, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Regarding MSB2 dirt, later on you can unlock an alchemy recipe that converts 1 sand and 6 plant matter into dirt. This sounds pretty awful at first, but once you get secundus and tertius alchemical fuel stuff, you can make a lot more dirt off of each sand/plant matter combo than the plant matter would yield alone. Tertius dust in particular gives 450% yield on anything you make in the alchemical fusion hooberjobber. (This works out to 9 things for every 2 recipe sets.)

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

In other news, I finally got around to trying one of the Sky Resources heat providers. They don't bother documenting this stuff at all, but the heat value is at least partially dependent on the fuel you use, too. I set a steel casing + steel heat provider setup with block charcoal fuel and got 13 heat value. Switched to coal coke and got 19. Sensible, but they don't bother explaining that anywhere. I set up an IE tank to store lava in and even 13 was enough to fill that to almost halfway (256 buckets worth) in < 10 minutes. Kinda nuts!

It does burn up the fuel fast, though. Even for blocks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I tried a signalum heat provider in a signalum casing and it was utter trash. 2 heat value. It was powered by RF, though, so maybe the enderium one is better?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh, also, random MSB2 tip: check out the recipe for quantum tanks. I'm almost positive it's going to get nerfed as all it needs is a bucket and some iron + obsidian, and it holds 2^31-1 mB of liquid.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I signed up for the twitch launcher but java keeps giving me a rather unhelpfully nonspecific (but different from technic) error whenever I try to load the game now. I think it's memory related but it keeps crashing well before it hits the memory cap I assigned to it, during loading.

Minecraft itself seems to have some kind of weird new launcher as well that the twitch thing just installs packs into? Trying to fiddle with that to see if that's what's breaking it.

Urgh this was all much easier the last several times I did it.

If it's been a while since you last played make sure you're running Java 8 64-bit; and preferably uninstall any older versions just to make sure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

If it's been a while since you last played make sure you're running Java 8 64-bit; and preferably uninstall any older versions just to make sure.

Did that before I started to make sure, I was going to ask if I need to install some specific older version because I can't get any modpacks to run, they all crash on load. 1.10 versions do some new fancy loading thing but crash before it finishes, 1.8 versions just crash, but they both crash java with a nonspecific error and don't put anything in the game log, it just stops mid load and java throws an error.

Is there something non obvious that you need to do to run any modpacks at all? Or some other log available that I could use to diagnose what's causing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I tried a signalum heat provider in a signalum casing and it was utter trash. 2 heat value. It was powered by RF, though, so maybe the enderium one is better?

This makes me wonder if the only thing that matters for the heat value is the fuel. That's less than a torch.