Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

EDIT - Also wondering if Rosine and/or Thomas will end up as a party members at some point, given their status.

Turns out she was the main protagonist of the series all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
If I remember right, in Kloe's past in Jenis in the previous student council, the girl whose name I forget is mentioned by varios students as being from Remiferia, I wonder if she has appeared in the browser game since it takes place there.

Speaking of that the other guy in the student council is also suspicious because I remember if you go talk to him at one point he talks about Lechter like "it's the end of the year so it should be time for him to act" or something but I still have no idea what their connection are or what he mean. The coldsteel games might aswer that but yeah I'm not there yet but from what I'm aware he doesn't appear anymore in any game.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I don't like the incest subplot at all, but I do feel sympathy for Elise. It's clear she's trying to get over her crush, but the rest of the drat country (but really mostly Alfin) won't let her forget about it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Or the player for that matter.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Erpy posted:

Or the player for that matter.

Well, yes, but nearly any time someone other than Rean interacts with Elise, it's to remind her of what a dashing handsome man her brother is. We as the player see all those interactions and get the full brunt of "girl lusting for her brother," which sucks big time, but that's not really Elise the character's fault, if you get what I'm trying to say.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I don't like the incest subplot at all, but I do feel sympathy for Elise. It's clear she's trying to get over her crush, but the rest of the drat country (but really mostly Alfin) won't let her forget about it.

The Aristocrats!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Ohtsam posted:

The Aristocrats!

The Liberlian verison of the joke was a lot more tasteful, and better executed.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trails in the sky: joshua and estelle is the purest love story ever told
trails of cold steel: elise has a crush on rean that she knows is dumb and people tease her about and never goes anywhere

1 is these is kinda weird and 1 isnt, can you guess which

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The one with the head patting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joshua and Estelle act a lot less like siblings than Rean and Elise do so it actually is portrayed a bit differently despite both technically being the same "dark haired boy with good killin' powers adopted into family" thing. That said it isn't like Joshua and Estelle never gets criticized but Estelle at least gets more screentime and development which isn't dedicated to people specifically going "Hey, you want to gently caress your brother-not-by-blood, right?!"

Maybe they can step away from the adoptive sibling crushes in the future though that'd be great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also they tease Elise for having a crush but I don't think rhey tease her for it being pseudo incest.

Though like I said I have only played the first.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

who are the characters that merely tease Elise, because everyone I can remember weighing in on the subject was shipping it like a runaway freight train

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really Pants posted:

who are the characters that merely tease Elise, because everyone I can remember weighing in on the subject was shipping it like a runaway freight train

alfin is loving with her. alfin does not think they should actually get together.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Alfin is teasing her though that doesn't mean she is against it, just kind of a dick.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Endorph posted:

alfin is loving with her. alfin does not think they should actually get together.

She totally isn't. CS2 sees Alfin supporting the Rean x Elise ship even when Elise isn't nearby to get embarrassed about it and if Rean bonds with Alfin she even feels guilty about it towards Elise. (and then hints she'd be okay with a threesome :P)

I suppose it's weird because Estelle and Joshua didn't grow up together while Rean and Elise did and act accordingly. That and Elise doesn't get nearly the screen time Estelle has.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
It's definitely not the case in most US culture but does Japan think of adoptive siblings as non-incestuous making this a case of culture clash?

Apparently it's legal which is rare among first world countries

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 13, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Alfin is loving scary, man. That's why she's great.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Having recently played CS2, 80% of Alfin's screentime is also basically the sibling shipping hour, whether it's wanting Rean x Elise or her wanting to be the sister.

Hopefully by cs3's sheer size, they don't have time to bring up that side-story anymore.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
One thing that I actually don't like a lot in Cold Steel and Cold Steel 2 is the way that everyone just insanely has the hots for Rean. I'm not sure why they made it so harem-y when there's an obvious pairing that will be canon at some point (perhaps already is, I'm still playing CS2), and also I just think Rean is actually kind of lame a lot of the time. I've only just finished Act 1 and he's already given about 10 "we will overcome this by the power of friendship!" speeches, I hope that dies down in the rest of the game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well it makes sense everyone loves Rean, he is a giant doormat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rean is cool and i want to date him too

also he's a a nice (actually nice, not weird) guy with a decent sense of humor who doesn't take himself that seriously but is still willing to hear other people out, and he's also really handsome and works out, if he were a real guy in a real high school the girls would totally be into him. plus idk, the only characters that really read as that into him outside of their romance paths are alisa, elise, and towa, everyone else you have to kind of specifically do their stuff to get anything really romantic from him. like laura and rean are just bros and fie just jokes about rean getting laid, neither of them seem that into him unless you specifically want them to be. and elise clearly isn't an actual romantic option so.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rean is the most pure form of a JRPG protagonist I have seen in a while.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Ohtsam posted:

It's definitely not the case in most US culture but does Japan think of adoptive siblings as non-incestuous making this a case of culture clash?

There's a saying that's like: "The only people who fantasize about getting it on with siblings don't have any siblings themselves." It's possible this thing is popular in Japan since it has more one-child households than the US.

Funny thing about Japanese adoption...in Japanese culture it's not at all uncommon for an older man to adopt a younger man into the family and then marry him to one of his daughters. Child adoption is very low in Japan, but it has one of the highest adult adoption rates in the world. This used to be extremely common with business owners. There used to be a Japanese saying: "you can't pick your sons, but you CAN pick your sons-in-law." A business owner would adopt his successor (usually one of his most promising employees) as his own son because sons have much more loyalty than employees do. So in that sense, adopted sons marrying biological daughters was very common...except those people were already adults by the time the adoption took place. It's quite possible that this cultural gimmick played a role though. I don't think incest is any less taboo in Japan than it is in the west...outside of whacky anime land.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

congrats all at finding the literal antithesis of comedy in a funny comic edit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To get off this, how is the new Y? I played the demo but I feel it picked a weird place to start.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In an attempt to pull up, have some scans from this week's Dengeki magazine:

Small screencaps include Patrick and Rean being cool with each other, and Vivi being totally not suspicious at all.

I would never have guessed Duvalie is 23, given how she acts all the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

congrats all at finding the literal antithesis of comedy in a funny comic edit

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wow rude

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Can you spot where the witches live?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/falcom-preparing-legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-ii-ps4

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How bout you make ps4 collections for the other two arcs so xseed no longer has a valid excuse to not loc zero/azure, falcom?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
XSeed's main argument, the extremely large scripts in combination with the slightly dated visuals, will still be as valid as ever. If the lack of publishable versions had been the only thing holding them back, XSeed's partnership with the development team that ported Ys Seven would have been coupled with an announcement of the Crossbell games already. It wasn't, so it isn't.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 14, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the main argument has only ever been the PSP format. I mean it's not like the visuals stopped them from releasing 3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Nate RFB posted:

I think the main argument has only ever been the PSP format. I mean it's not like the visuals stopped them from releasing 3rd.

There's a difference between localizing the title with the smallest script in the series, whose predecessors had already been localized, and committing to a whole new arc.

When people asked on the forum how much the odds of Crossbell localizations just went up now that Ys Seven (also a native PSP game) was being ported, XSeed said: "Not much, the sheer amount of time and effort required to localize those games have always been the main reason we haven't brought them over already."