Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

R2D2 definitely has a dick, and uses it a lot.

poo poo. Forgot about him. He also fucks on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

euphronius posted:

Stars a basically an infinite resource so why couldn't they reuse it .

Am I remembering it wrong or was the star not sucked dry at the end, causing all the light to go away? If not, then never mind on that part of my post.

Edit:
Holy loving poo poo. I was right, it did use up the star. But it could go to other stars. I don't know if this was Abrams' canon or not, but this is so loving stupid it hurts:

quote:

The superweapon consumed stars as a power source via a method which cut off starlight from the surface, and would move on to a new star system after depleting a particular star. Its mobility was provided by rocket ports on the far side of the base.

So yeah, that part of my post is taken care of, it was a mobile, multi-use planet with giant rockets to move it from star to star. Makes sense.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 14, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Maybe none of this matters, but are these not reasonable?

*Starkiller Base was a one or two use weapon and as such, its loss isn't that big a deal (assuming they managed to get all that personnel off planet). It had two jobs: destroy the government/fleet, take out the Resistance. Its power source was then extinguished. Unless Abrams was going to explain how they were going to fly the loving planet to another star, it was finished.

*The majority of the galaxy (as should have happened after DS1 blew up Alderaan) would gang up on the First Order. As with Alderaan, the First Order crossed a line -- billions of innocents were killed, there's no way to explain it, no way to defend it. Even worse than DS1, it wasn't reusable, so they couldn't even dangle the threat of its power over the galaxy. Unless they have another superweapon up their sleeves, why in the world wouldn't the galaxy collectively say, "Holy poo poo, they're loving crazy and need to be put down." If North Korea lobbed a nuke at Tokyo, I don't think even China would object to kicking its rear end. I'm reasonably sure that however powerful the FO is, they can't pacify an entire pissed off and horrified galaxy. If TLJ doesn't have most of the galaxy either gearing up for or already at war, it will be ridiculous.

I don't think I'm going into too deep a level of real world speculation here, this stuff seems obvious to me. But as I said, the galaxy didn't all gang up on the Empire after Alderaan went boom, so what do I know.

No, you're absolutely right. In ANH the Empire was at the apex of its power at that point, to an extent that they could effectively police a far-flung shithole like Tatooine. Other than the Rebellion, there presumably weren't a bunch of autonomous military powers that could take action against them.

On the other hand, if we're to understand that every standing army in the galaxy except for the New Order and the Resistance were milling around in that one system, and that the other 98% of the galaxy is now helpless to resist, then that's stone cold retarded.

You can call this nitpicking, but the writers could have established any political reality for the galaxy that they wanted starting out that would best suit the story they wanted to tell; they chose to write themselves into this corner.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 14, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Am I remembering it wrong or was the star not sucked dry at the end, causing all the light to go away? If not, then never mind on that part of my post.

They just move to a different star

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
TFA is a pretty bad film.

Like, it's fun and flashy, but that's all it is. The fact that it is basically ANH: Hope Harder just invites comparison to the original and it does TFA no favors.

At first, everyone was like 'Oh, TFA is just dumb and safe to not anger fans' but I think it's becoming increasingly apparent that Ep 8 and 9 will basically be ESB: Strike Harder and ROTJ: Return Harder and it's just going to be so boring. Really, Eps 8 and 9 will need to do a lot of work to grow something in the sands of TFA's plot and world. At best, TFA will be the 'it's a bad film but the other two are great' of the trilogy. At worst, it'll be 'we should've seen the warning signs more clearly'.

Snoke. Goddamnit, the big bad guy is called Snoke. All the characters were named by someone who was like 'Oh, yeah, everyone in Star Wars has a one syllable name'.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The short version is there's not a single reason why the weapon couldn't look like that.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

euphronius posted:

Stars a basically an infinite resource so why couldn't they reuse it .

They used up all the Star in this War.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

euphronius posted:

They just move to a different star

Yep, see my edit. Unfuckingbelievable. I want to see some concept drawings, like did the rear end end of the planet just have gigantic half egg nozzles like a star destroyer?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rey, Finn, Poe, Snoke, Hux, Ren/Ben, Maz.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yep, see my edit. Unfuckingbelievable. I want to see some concept drawings, like did the rear end end of the planet just have gigantic half egg nozzles like a star destroyer?

How do you think the Death Star got anywhere

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

UmOk posted:

poo poo. Forgot about him. He also fucks on screen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milky Moor posted:

Snoke. Goddamnit, the big bad guy is called Snoke. All the characters were named by someone who was like 'Oh, yeah, everyone in Star Wars has a one syllable name'.

Va Der
Pal Pa Tine
Doo Ku
Lu Uke

:v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Va Der
Pal Pa Tine
Doo Ku
Lu Uke

:v:

That's precisely what I mean, though. Tarkin, Lando, Obi-Wan, Beru, Jabba, Greedo, etc. etc. But there's this sort-of meme that everyone in Star Wars has a monosyllabic name because of Han, Luke, Leia. And, as Abrams is wont to do...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

That's precisely what I mean, though. Tarkin, Lando, Obi-Wan, Beru, Jabba, Greedo, etc. etc. But there's this sort-of meme that everyone in Star Wars has a monosyllabic name because of Han, Luke, Leia. And, as Abrams is wont to do...

Lei-uh

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RBA Starblade posted:

R2D2 definitely has a dick, and uses it a lot.

C3PO has a dick. It was even on a trading card!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Memes aren't always accurate.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Luke
Han
Lay
Art
Si
Chew
Obe
Darth
Yode
Sid

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

*said in an extremely ominous tone* "I hope you can explain things to Supreme Emperor Palp."

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

his name is sheev

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
While we are nitpicking: Why is it called Star Wars when none of the movies actually have stars or wars in them?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Vader telekinetically chokes dudes like it's going out of fashion in A New Hope though
I believe his argument was either that telekinesis was a dark side thing or Vader was just making them think they were being choked. He also didn't like that the first movie had been renamed or given the Episode IV designation in the opening crawl and only ever called it Star Wars (1977).

Odd guy, but I think of that every time I read a "not my Star Wars" post about the SEs or prequels. All those so-called purists who still accept "Episode IV" or the rest of the OT are loving amateurs.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Milky Moor posted:

TFA is a pretty bad film.

Like, it's fun and flashy, but that's all it is. The fact that it is basically ANH: Hope Harder just invites comparison to the original and it does TFA no favors.

At first, everyone was like 'Oh, TFA is just dumb and safe to not anger fans' but I think it's becoming increasingly apparent that Ep 8 and 9 will basically be ESB: Strike Harder and ROTJ: Return Harder and it's just going to be so boring. Really, Eps 8 and 9 will need to do a lot of work to grow something in the sands of TFA's plot and world. At best, TFA will be the 'it's a bad film but the other two are great' of the trilogy. At worst, it'll be 'we should've seen the warning signs more clearly'.

Your problem is that they have one syllable names? Like, why does this matter?

Also, Poe Dameron, Kylo Ren, BB-8, Lor San Tekka, etc. But even if you were right? Why would it even matter? You seem really mad the villain's name has one syllable. Why? What difference does number of syllables make?

"loving Thrawn. One syllable name. How lazy can you be to not come up with a second syllable?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Your problem is that they have one syllable names? Like, why does this matter?

Also, Poe Dameron, Kylo Ren, BB-8, Lor San Tekka, etc. But even if you were right? Why would it even matter? You seem really mad the villain's name has one syllable. Why? What difference does number of syllables make?

"loving Thrawn. One syllable name. How lazy can you be to not come up with a second syllable?"

It's pretty indicative of the fact that it's just a meme version of Star Wars, right down to knowing winks at the audience: "There's always a way to blow it up." Their Death Star blows up one planet, but our blows up a bunch!

I don't know what Thrawn has to do with it given that he's not from the films. Also Thrawn is a contraction of his full name to make it easier for the Imperials to pronounce, SOOO...

I am, in truth, correct. Please read my posts before replying. The fact that the names are all monosyllabic is basically to obfuscate who the characters were prior to release as much as possible.

edit: The name 'Lor San Tekka' is not actually mentioned in the film. Lor is also one syllable.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 14, 2017

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Edit:
Holy loving poo poo. I was right, it did use up the star. But it could go to other stars. I don't know if this was Abrams' canon or not, but this is so loving stupid it hurts:

So yeah, that part of my post is taken care of, it was a mobile, multi-use planet with giant rockets to move it from star to star. Makes sense.

Wait so the First Order plan was to use rockets for interstellar travel? :wtc:

The average distance between stars in our galaxy is 5 light years so how loving long would it take the planet to get from star to star?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Star Wars Explained is some kind of Disney guerilla marketing thing, right?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If only the movie was faithful to the novel, we probably wouldn't be as twisted over how things worked, since it helpfully explained a few things

"…those of us assigned to the base heard rumors that it doesn't operate in what we'd call normal hyperspace. It fires through a hole in the continuum that it makes itself. Everybody was calling it 'sub'-hyperspace."―Finn, discussing Starkiller Base

The concept of Sub-hyperspace intrigues me though

Normal hyperspace is moving across the Galaxy, whereas Sub-space moves you through the Galaxy, meaning you can get to places in a matter of seconds instead of minutes or hours, depending on how good your hyperdrive is

Phantom Energy-powered Hyperdrives when?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Vinylshadow posted:

If only the movie was faithful to the novel, we probably wouldn't be as twisted over how things worked, since it helpfully explained a few things

It's almost like Abrams is a bad director and writer, and they had to commission someone to write a novelisation that filled in all the plot holes and fixed all the many mistakes he made as best they could.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Plot hole: superluminal energy beam does not behave like it does in the real world .

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

euphronius posted:

Plot hole: superluminal energy beam does not behave like it does in the real world .

Planets from a star system a quarter of a galaxy away individually visible in the day time sky. Nothing to do with the beam, which has problems of its own. Why are you going through so many mental gymnastics to defend something so bad?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Because it's a sci-fi/fantasy series, and I'll take scientific inaccuracy in exchange for interesting/evocative visuals.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is like the bending over backwards nerds did for the Kessel Run parsecs goof.
If the movie universe can make up whatever technology it wants, you can pretend that behind the scenes, "the laser's sub-hyperspace nature creates a bubble of light that is instantly visible via quantum tunneling to any star system nearby," blah blah blah.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If you look very closely, you may find that Yoda isn't an ancient Alien, he's actually a muppet. If you look closer still, the film is being projected after-the-fact onto a cinema screen. Even closer still, you can determine that movies aren't real and there's some level of suspension of disbelief required. Even closer still, your vision turns around and you'll see that you're closer to death than birth and you've spent so much of your life obsessed with space wizard movies, and it's all been mostly a waste.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It is pretty funny though that the EU invented a whole bunch of new things to 'explain' the weirdness of that scene.

Quintessence, which is distinct from Dark energy, which is distinct from Phantom energy, which allows the creation of a Pocket Nova and can be fired through Sub-hyperspace and rips apart space-time so terribly that the explosions can be seen instantly from light years away.

I'm not sure how this is defended when this thread would probably gleefully laugh about how dumb the old EU is but hey.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Milky Moor posted:

It is pretty funny though that the EU invented a whole bunch of new things to 'explain' the weirdness of that scene.

Quintessence, which is distinct from Dark energy, which is distinct from Phantom energy, which allows the creation of a Pocket Nova and can be fired through Sub-hyperspace and rips apart space-time so terribly that the explosions can be seen instantly from light years away.

I'm not sure how this is defended when this thread would probably gleefully laugh about how dumb the old EU is but hey.

When has this come up in the EU? Actually asking, I haven't read any books that deal with Starkiller Base at all. I think Phasma covers it at least a little bit, but I haven't read that yet. And I've barely touched the new comics, so maybe there?

I mostly just don't care about how weird and silly it is. It doesn't really make sense, just like the parsec line. And yeah, the EU explained that, but that was unnecessary, too. I just don't care, because whether the "science" works or not is unimportant to the story, visuals, or performances, which are what I care about.

We are no where near the levels of dumb the old EU reached. I'm sure we'll get there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Did the novelization expand at all on what the hell is even going on in the Republic during TFA? I've seen it three times now and I still can't really put my finger on what the hell Leia is doing out in the middle of nowhere leading a Resistance when she should theoretically be able to use the resources of the Republic to fight the First Order. And aside from those specific details related to the story, is there any broad overview of what the political situation is during this time? It's just very jarring(and yes I understand some people consider it a good thing) after the prequels where everything was very political to have a movie where you're kinda supposed to just hand-wave that stuff away.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 14, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

UmOk posted:

While we are nitpicking: Why is it called Star Wars when none of the movies actually have stars or wars in them?

And Grape Nuts! What's the deal with those? You open the box: no grapes, no nuts! I think it's ... just an expression?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

For me the problem with Starkiller is the difference between a movie showing an eccentric billionaire owning the only flying car in the world and a movie showing the Benton, Arkansas chapter of the KKK owning the only flying car in the world. The physics of how the flying car would work isn't the first objection that comes to mind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Did the novelization expand at all on what the hell is even going on in the Republic during TFA? I've seen it three times now and I still can't really put my finger on what the hell Leia is doing out in the middle of nowhere leading a Resistance when she should theoretically be able to use the resources of the Republic to fight the First Order. And aside from those specific details related to the story, is there any broad overview of what the political situation is during this time? It's just very jarring(and yes I understand some people consider it a good thing) after the prequels where everything was very political to have a movie where you're kinda supposed to just hand-wave that stuff away.

Oh right, the novelization probably talked about Starkiller Base in more detail.

The EU does go into the state of the Republic, and Leia's situation a bit, and I wish some of it had ended up in the movie. The Republic is now largely demilitarized, lead by a bunch of people in the new government being tired of all these Star Wars. Also First Order sympathizers putting their finger on the scales a bit. They have (had, after Starkiller) a fleet, but not a large one. Leia has been trying to do just what you say and use the resources of the Republic, but during a large political battle, someone leaked that she was the daughter of Darth Vader (this is how Ben found out about this as well, she hadn't told him yet), and it destroyed her credibility and image in the Republic. So she gathered what support she could from friends like Ackbar and formed the Resistance to be a splinter group doing what it could to stop the First Order. This is all from the novel Bloodline.

I know the novelization goes into a bit more, but all I know is that when you see the Republic home world destroyed, it focuses on one woman specifically looking up in horror. This woman works for Leia (and was a character in Bloodline), and she was there arguing Leia's cause in her absence (it's believed that if she showed up herself, someone would try to assassinate her). But any scenes with her beyond this were unfortunately cut.

The Force Awakens has some problems, no doubt. Like this stuff should have been in the movie. But it's not, so if you actually do want to know what's happening, it's this. If you just want to criticize the movie for not having it, go ahead.

It should also be noted that Rian Johnson worked with the author of Bloodlines to make sure some stuff was in that book to help set up The Last Jedi, so that movie might go more into it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Basebf555 posted:

Read the Leia focused book Bloodline, takes place about six years before TFA and deals with the factions within the New Republic and how a large section of the galaxy "officially" breaks off to become the First Order. Which was already operating behind the scenes for quite some time as the Imperial loyalists started consolidating power. Leia was part of a group arguing for a de-centralized government with strong local planetary navies and power, while the other group wanted a strong central government ala the Old Republic/Empire.

Edit: ^^ Ditto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I really think at the very least we should have been told about how Leia's political reputation had been ruined by her connection with Vader. That's a pretty significant detail that really fills in a lot of blanks and it wouldn't have taken much time at all to cover it.

• Locked thread