Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

twistedmentat posted:

This is a really cool look at Ceres station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cSZUFNHrs

I was a little confused on where the nice part was in relative to the lovely part.

This is really cool, especially showing the tube map in close up. Having read the books I had a pretty good handle on the layout of Ceres but it was nice to actually see it. I kind of want to know what the even higher / deeper levels are like, and if the grand names like Plaza Level are just corpspeak bullshit for slums with even less to recommend them than Medina (yes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Quorum posted:

This is really cool, especially showing the tube map in close up. Having read the books I had a pretty good handle on the layout of Ceres but it was nice to actually see it. I kind of want to know what the even higher / deeper levels are like, and if the grand names like Plaza Level are just corpspeak bullshit for slums with even less to recommend them than Medina (yes)

Yea, I also like how they explain how Ceres makes it's own gravity. They actually spun up the planetoid.

There's a whole bunch of Expanse vids in this playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqOEDroJnZHxjytQ9SISzr5dpw49yHHsb

It's a great channel for short but informative vids about Sci-fi ships and such.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The new novella, Strange Dogs, is out now!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hope they decide to stay accurate to the books in Season 3 but not accurate to the books in Season 4

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rewatching the second season again. When Johnson holds that speech with all the clans, a certain clan is named loudly and there isn't even any flinching from specific parties.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It had no functioning engines, and it's not stealthy. They never could steal it. Fred Johnson wasn't the only person who would have been watching what happened.

They could have destroyed it without boarding it. The boarding action introduced a very high chance of losing all of their otherwise victorious ships for a pretty vague and uncertain payoff. It only happened to give the Rocinante crew a reason to steal salvage the Rocinante.

It's been a while but I just watched this and I think you are wrong. The Donnager did have to shut down the engines for a while, but afterwards they cycled them up again. It seemed to be a cooling issue.
Secondly, almost all other stealth ships were destroyed. The Donnager still had a shitton of PDC and had lost only one railgun. It may be possible that Protogen did not have their railguns and I'd imagine destroying something like the Donnager with PDC would take a long time. In S2, we see the Rochi destroying a Protogen ship with PDCs, in contrast. There's also a shot showing the Stealth ship burning internally.
After the boarding action, it seems that the space battle does continue, suggesting that the boarding teams were meant to disable the Donnager and/or induce self-destruct. We see the Donnager restarting the engines at least twice.
The decision to blow up the ship is made by the Captain when the CIC is about to be breached.

I think without the boarding action it would not have been clear at all if the Donnager would necessarily loose that fight. It's a big ship, and the close-range combat in this universe is with PDC, giving it an advantage.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

This is a really cool look at Ceres station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cSZUFNHrs

I was a little confused on where the nice part was in relative to the lovely part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Rewatching the second season again. When Johnson holds that speech with all the clans, a certain clan is named loudly and there isn't even any flinching from specific parties.

I'm kinda hoping Marco just ends up as a "trusted" lieutenant of Dawes, who would be a far, far better mastermind for coming apocalypse. With fine actor and an established fanatic character.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Collateral posted:

I'm kinda hoping Marco just ends up as a "trusted" lieutenant of Dawes, who would be a far, far better mastermind for coming apocalypse. With fine actor and an established fanatic character.

You seem to be under the impression that Dawes is supposed to be a villain, or that Marco is the grand mastermind he sells himself as. I think merging the plot lines of those two characters would do a disservice to both characterizations.

I do love that the show is using Dawes more than the books and I hope we keep getting more of him. Jared Harris is fantastic in the role.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
So did this thread give up on spoiler tags or what?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Toast Museum posted:

So did this thread give up on spoiler tags or what?

Here's a spoiler season 2 aired a while ago

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Martians didn't destroy the Canterbury, it was a stealth ship owned by protogen!! Series SPOILED.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

Here's a spoiler season 2 aired a while ago
The Marco Inaros stuff is pretty huge spoiler territory.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Marco Inaros stuff is pretty huge spoiler territory.

the what now

TBH I barely remember the later books

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

the what now
The dude who's dropped asteroids painted in stealth coating onto Earth? Who happens to be the dad of Naomi's kid, who also had a big hand in it?
(Don't read if you haven't read the books. What's spoilered happens in the fourth or fifth.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 13, 2017

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Is it worth it to find the books, or is the series as good as or better, story-wise?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

nimby posted:

Is it worth it to find the books, or is the series as good as or better, story-wise?
I enjoy the books a lot, and if you like the series, I recommend giving them a read. Like any adaptation, there's stuff changed for the better, for the worse, and just different; but since the authors are so involved in the series, in many ways it's a second pass at the books, streamlining some plots and fleshing other stuff out that the books didn't get into (Avasarala, for example, isn't in book 1 at all).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

You seem to be under the impression that Dawes is supposed to be a villain, or that Marco is the grand mastermind he sells himself as. I think merging the plot lines of those two characters would do a disservice to both characterizations.

I do love that the show is using Dawes more than the books and I hope we keep getting more of him. Jared Harris is fantastic in the role.

He is, at the very least, the only one really attempting the Belter accent.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

nimby posted:

They're easy to find and a new one is about to come out!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Everywhere I've looked only has the larger format ones, rather than the normal paperbacks. They're not even listened in the Canadian Kindle store.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nimby posted:

I've heard that the show is pretty much a second pass say the books, fixing things there author ended up not liking after he published them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The first book is worth reading for the universe crafting.

The second book is worth reading because it’s the best.

Beyond that, we’ll have to wait and see.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Madurai posted:

He is, at the very least, the only one really attempting the Belter accent.

That's only because Cara Gee went so far past the Belter accent that it became it's own unique, glorious, unidentifiable brilliance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ApathyGifted posted:

That's only because Cara Gee went so far past the Belter accent that it became it's own unique, glorious, unidentifiable brilliance.

I have no idea what she's doing but I want more of it, much more.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Cojawfee posted:

I've heard that the show is pretty much a second pass say the books, fixing things there author ended up not liking after he published them.

While this is true, it doesn't mean the books are bad, the authors (it's a duo, Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) put out some well-written, entertaining stuff. Sure, it's typically on the pulpy side, but it's (usually) good pulp. Any creative person will jump at the chance to do a real re-cut/reimagining of their own work; they are never 100% satisfied. Doesn't mean the original works aren't good!

IMO the books are definitely worth reading unless you're totally averse to books or only ever want to read life-altering masterpieces.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Drummer in the books is described as having a completely unidentifiable accent, the fact that Cara Gee got it so well is great.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Draper using her power armor is described better in the book than it looks on the show. Theres only so much you can do with TV budget I guess.

I like how they handled her introduction to avasarala a bit better in the books too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ATP_Power posted:

Drummer in the books is described as having a completely unidentifiable accent, the fact that Cara Gee got it so well is great.

you need to get to hospital!

GRAB

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

HOBBLES OFF ANGRILY

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Are there any other sci-fi series somewhat similar to this? Like a modicum of realism/plausibility, and not totally insufferable characters. Trying to watch other poo poo is kinda tedious at this point and I can't suspend my disbelief.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dog nougat posted:

Are there any other sci-fi series somewhat similar to this? Like a modicum of realism/plausibility, and not totally insufferable characters. Trying to watch other poo poo is kinda tedious at this point and I can't suspend my disbelief.

Nope, that's why expanse is so good.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

dog nougat posted:

BSG definitely hit those notes for me

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

dog nougat posted:

Battlestar Galactica probably comes closest. However, even as a fan of it, the characters can be a bit insufferable (mainly in the third season) and it takes a dramatic nosedive in quality following Season 2. As good as it is, it hits the early 2000s notes of 'We have no idea where we're going with this story, let's keep throwing Cryptic Hints out there'. The first season is great (the first episode, 33, is one of the best TV episodes ever) as is much of the second season (with the mid season R-Ship arc being incredible).

The next closest is probably Babylon 5, but it's an older show and was low budget, even for its time. But B5 did try to ground things as much as possible. However, if you can get past the low budget aspect of it, it's still one of the best sci-fi series ever made. It definitely has one of the best series finales ever made.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Milky Moor posted:

Battlestar Galactica probably comes closest. However, even as a fan of it, the characters can be a bit insufferable (mainly in the third season) and it takes a dramatic nosedive in quality following Season 2. As good as it is, it hits the early 2000s notes of 'We have no idea where we're going with this story, let's keep throwing Cryptic Hints out there'. The first season is great (the first episode, 33, is one of the best TV episodes ever) as is much of the second season (with the mid season R-Ship arc being incredible).

The next closest is probably Babylon 5, but it's an older show and was low budget, even for its time. But B5 did try to ground things as much as possible. However, if you can get past the low budget aspect of it, it's still one of the best sci-fi series ever made. It definitely has one of the best series finales ever made.

Babylon 5 is an amazing series, but it is from a different era of TV so brace yourself for the production values and sfx. Newtonian flight, politics that inspired all of Eve Online, and some really great characters! It also has the benefit of being able to watch it all, for free, on go90. :woop:

Too bad it will never get an HD remaster because they lost all of the original CGI assets and the studio is too lazy to recreate them. :shrug:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

dog nougat posted:

PlanetES focuses on space janitors who need to pick up space debris that gets left in orbit in a very plausible setting. It's an excellent show but it's anime.
Person of Interest I think is also based pretty close to reality, though not focused on space. Watching it while it was airing and things like the Snowden leaks were happening made it seem less and less like fiction, but ultimately it's a TV show about an omniscient AI god so I think it still qualifies.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ok, cool. Watched most of BSG back when Netflix had it streaming in the olden days. The characters were too much for me to handle, also the word "fracking". Not sure what go90 is, but I'll check it out/find some way to check out Babylon 5.

Edit: I can deal with anime to some degree, as long as there's minimal fan service or no cutesy sidekick character with a little girl voice I'll prob be able to deal. I like the idea of a space janitor story though.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 15, 2017

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah, BSG. I have heard a lot of goon love for B5 for the reasons stated above and would really like to give it another shot (got through Season 1 a number of years ago then kinda fizzled out) someday.

While we're talking 90s SF, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of Earth: Above and Beyond. It's a military SF show that only got a single season before Fox pulled the plug. I am normally :rolleyes: at the idea of reboots but that's a show that's practically begging for one. It's very much a product of its time in some ways, but pretty ahead of it in others.

Speaking of that, have been re-watching Farscape lately (which is definitely not 'grounded', pretty much the platonic ideal of 'space opera') and it straddles the post-90s/pre-BSG space in a very interesting way. Many episodes have a "monster/space hazard of the week" feel, but there are a number of multi-parters, and plot arcs that span whole seasons. Quality can be iffy at times but brilliant at others. If nothing else, it's cool to watch for an SF show that actually tries to make aliens somewhat alien, thanks to the Jim Henson's Workshop side of things, and the attention it gives to effects of all the "adventures" the protagonist has on his mental health/psyche. (not sure that's really much of a spoiler, but figured I'd be safe). I think it's another series that would probably do really well if it was being made today, but OTOH might not have some of the same charm without the original cast.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

While we're talking 90s SF, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of Earth: Above and Beyond. It's a military SF show that only got a single season before Fox pulled the plug. I am normally :rolleyes: at the idea of reboots but that's a show that's practically begging for one. It's very much a product of its time in some ways, but pretty ahead of it in others.

Though S:AaB is also a masterclass in "didn't think it through ahead of time, make it up as we go along." You kind of got the feeling that there was some frantic hand-waving going on in the writers' room.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
huge spoiler so don't click unless you've completed book 2/ started reading book 3

do we know if miller is coming back on the show

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Phi230 posted:

huge spoiler so don't click unless you've completed book 2/ started reading book 3

do we know if miller is coming back on the show

Nothing concrete yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Pretty sure I saw that in a preview somewhere?

E: Ah, just looked it up again and it was a "trailer" that was actually fan-made and just cut together scenes from the first two seasons

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 15, 2017

• Locked thread