Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

FAUXTON posted:

Kipling though? Yeah that rule britannia pro patria et regis stuff wasn't satire. Dude basically got served the death of his son, said thanks, and asked for seconds. Empire is a hell of a drug.

what was his epitath for his son again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FAUXTON posted:

Kipling though? Yeah that rule britannia pro patria et regis stuff wasn't satire. Dude basically got served the death of his son, said thanks, and asked for seconds. Empire is a hell of a drug.

I had an ex insist "White Man's Burden" was satire despite repeatedly explaining why it wasn't. Then again, she also thought Nials Ferguson takes on WWI we're really good so that's saying something.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

sharknado slashfic posted:

:nms: if you dont want to see a kid with contusions on his neck

http://news.sky.com/story/protest-after-biracial-boy-eight-nearly-hanged-by-teenagers-11033572

"There are bad people on both sides"

Also Sky news is real right because the first story I saw on the sidebar was "Shape shifting bacteria spotted in space"

The Root interviews the ma

This article links back to a bunch of good local reporting. But yeah, that poo poo really rattled me when I read it this morning. Punk teens are lynching 8 year-olds.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I had an ex who insisted Colbert Report and Team America: World Police were satire.

I mean just listen to the words. Words mean what they mean. THATS HOW WORDS WORK. How dumb can you be?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress this rear end in a top hat sideways.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/908103350905982976

This is in addition to inventing a reason to be at Fort Knox for the eclipse.

gently caress that guy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress that guy.

I hope some day we can throw both of these poo poo bags into the gutter.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress that guy.

poo poo like this I love throwing into people's faces who always preach about "Run Government like a Business!" and "Treat the government like my household budget on the kitchen table."

This administration is just treating the government as part of their business and in their world, no one would have known or cared about them doing this poo poo. Why couldn't they just stay in their own lanes and not come over to "public" service?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress that guy.

That's a punchable face in an alltime cavalcade of punchable faces.

edit- and hers is a slappable face in an alltime cavalcade of slappable faces.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smiling Jack posted:

what was his epitath for his son again

My boy Jack?

quote:

“Have you news of my boy Jack?”
Not this tide.
“When d’you think that he’ll come back?”
Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

“Has any one else had word of him?”
Not this tide.
For what is sunk will hardly swim,
Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

“Oh, dear, what comfort can I find?”
None this tide,
Nor any tide,
Except he did not shame his kind —
Not even with that wind blowing, and that tide.

Then hold your head up all the more,
This tide,
And every tide;
Because he was the son you bore,
And gave to that wind blowing and that tide!

Basically "it's actually cool my son got his face blown off at Loos"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

I had an ex who insisted Colbert Report and Team America: World Police were satire.

I mean just listen to the words. Words mean what they mean. THATS HOW WORDS WORK. How dumb can you be?

So you think Kipling was satirizing the pro-colonialist views in white man's burden while he was emphatically in favor of those same views everywhere else?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

He's acting exactly as if the government was a business

because everyone knows that the CEO/CFO takes the GIV on their vacations while anyone else that has to fly goes cattle-car.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Best Friends posted:

So you think Kipling was satirizing the pro-colonialist views in white man's burden while he was emphatically in favor of those same views everywhere else?

Vic just wants people to know he's smart because he's surrounded by people all day that don't give a poo poo

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 14, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Using the company plane for personal travel by having a client or someone deadhead for you so you can claim it as a business expense is a time honored executive scam.

poo poo, they talk about it in Barbarians at the Gate.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MA-Horus posted:

because everyone knows that the CEO/CFO takes the GIV on their vacations while anyone else that has to fly goes cattle-car.

The son and wife of my mother in law's boss decided to save the company money when they flew to Europe. Instead of taking the G-V, they flew booked 25K per suites on Shanghai Airlines

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress that guy.
You best check yourself before screwing some C-37 pilots out of a sweet TDY.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KirbyKhan posted:

This article links back to a bunch of good local reporting. But yeah, that poo poo really rattled me when I read it this morning. Punk teens are lynching 8 year-olds.

My response to stuff like this continues to just be slowly intensifying rage. But that's not my town, I know a bunch of people two hours away in NH but there's really no say I have in the matter. How does a town react to that when your law enforcement is half assing ~ironic~ lynching.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

gently caress that. I always sneak in the load factor upgrade to business. When it's a $3000 plane ticket, what's another $600?

I wish more airlines did automatic international upgrades for frequent fliers.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

I don't even know what I would sentence these kids to if I were a judge.

If it were England in the old days I'd say exile to Australia would fit the bill, but we don't have anything like that now.

...unless we could ship them off to Afghanistan somehow.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MA-Horus posted:

It's worth pointing out that the single, overriding and only reason for a business to exist is to extract as much profit as possible in ways both legal and not. So yeah, everyone wants to "run government like a business" and whaddya know that's ex-loving-actly what Trump is doing. Is it more profitable to break a law and pay the fine? loving do it! Got enough lawyers and cash to make a problem go away after you extract your payment from the situation? Welp!

How this is supposed to result in good governance and not outlandish oligarchies like Russia where Putin's personal wealth is basically "Russia", is never exactly explained very well.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Evan_McMullin/status/908134472884695041

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Probably the folks already standing up for economic liberty being available to more than just the fuckers that think they own the planet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This should be a "are we the baddies?" moment for him

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*kills self* Liberty bitch!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

They invented vending machines. Impressive.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol not even that, they invented the walgreens fuckbox that they lock all the rubbers in, except they're locking everything in it now and you have to install their app to buy it.

At least a vending machine has the decency to take your money and leave you alone. This robofuckbox is gonna be pushing ads to your phone for attention.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Godholio posted:

They invented vending machines. Impressive.

Was thinking the same thing. Just toss some used school girl panties in there and they will have achieved 1980s Japan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

The article says the VC-25s have never used aerial refueling.

Doesn't seem right - surely they have to do it every so often for qualification? Even if they haven't used it operationally surely the E-4 must all the time and in a crisis AF1 becomes one basically?

They get their training done on other (cheaper to operate) planes between real missions.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Best Friends posted:

Absolutely.

Sorry he wasn't consistently "woke" from birth until death in the Victorian Empire.

You loving philistine progressives and your purity tests.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
wall cancelled

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

that which is dead cannot die

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Kipling had a great grip on reality and the reality of colonial empire in particular. He was also fairly progressive towards the natives for the time and most of his writings are pretty admiring from what I can remember.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Not sure you can cancel something that was never actually going to happen but whatever makes Trump supporters mad is at least entertaining.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mike flynn jr is a subject of the russia probe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I really hate these loving people.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i (mostly) enjoy the late night shows like the late show and the daily show and jim jefferies.

but late night with seth meyers is fuckin trash

e:

also this isn't the diabeetus guy?

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 14, 2017

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

i (mostly) enjoy the late night shows like the late show and the daily show and jim jefferies.

but late night with seth meyers is fuckin trash

e:

also this isn't the diabeetus guy?

No, according to Google Image search, that is Ty Cobb, a DC Attorney who joined the Trump Team. He is decidedly not Wilford Brimley.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Our chief of diabeetus

Seth Meyers is what my exwife watched, so yeah, spot on with the trash call.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

he looks a little like gene hackman with stupid facial hair

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lmao what is Trump doing? I mean I'm sure Pelosi and Schumer are pleased, but what the gently caress is his strategy here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Chaos

• Locked thread