Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Benne posted:

They finally got rid of this part and the results have been immediately improved. Nearly every game today ended well within a 3-hour window. I was almost shocked when Redzone started the recap montage at like 7:25, since they usually pushed the 8 p.m. limit in the past. We'll see if this keeps up, but it was a good start towards streamlining the game experience.

I never really got the "NFL games are too long" argument anyway, even the worst flag-fests with too many commercials were/are usually over in ~3 hours. Meanwhile, college football games routinely drag out over 4 hours, with some pushing 5. The "clock stops on first down" rule and review-happy refs can grind things down to a loving snail's pace. Oh, and they still have "touchdown/commercial/kickoff/commercial."

I love college football, but nobody should pretend it has better pacing than the NFL.

College football has never had touchdown/commercial/kickoff/commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority on this but I've always appreciated color commentators (or really any analyst) that is willing to share X's and O's insight rather than tired old cliches and generalizations. It's what makes that coach's film room portion of the College football Megacast so interesting.
Wow he's really good. :staredog:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think Greg McElroy is loving fantastic as a color guy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Being better than Phil Simms is the lowest bar in the world to clear so I didn't want to expect much, just don't be Phil. But he really was good. Just said in one of the NFL threads I don't dread having the top CBS crew call my team's games anymore.

Mahoning posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority on this but I've always appreciated color commentators (or really any analyst) that is willing to share X's and O's insight rather than tired old cliches and generalizations. It's what makes that coach's film room portion of the College football Megacast so interesting.

For some reason TV people decided that the game needed to be dumbed down at some point in the 90's? Maybe earlier. Like, John Madden was a really smart football mind and he'd explain concepts at length early on. Then he became just a guy who said boom later in his career.

He's less well known as a broadcaster (because he's a train wreck of a human being and lost his job) but Bill Maas was like this too. When he first started he'd talk about blocking schemes and techniques and be pretty interesting to listen to. Like a year later someone told him to make hot takes instead and that's what he did until he was out of the booth.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 11, 2017

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think Greg McElroy is loving fantastic as a color guy.

I caught him on the Louisville/UNC game and he's super polished for a guy that can't have been at it for a long time.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
McElroy has been doing it for a while. I was always incredibly impressed with his game commentary whenever Finebaum did his live bowlcasts.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The other insane and unsustainable thing about ratings and I guess all economic matters when it comes to poo poo like having to deal with stockholders is if it's not growth it's failure.

It is completely impossible to even consider the NFL peaked or you'll be yelled at if you work for the NFL.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i am one of probably three titans fans that exist so i watched romos debut and yeah he was pretty good i thought

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

College football has never had touchdown/commercial/kickoff/commercial.

College absolutely has touchdown/commercial/kickoff/commercial.

Grittybeard posted:

Being better than Phil Simms is the lowest bar in the world to clear so I didn't want to expect much, just don't be Phil. But he really was good. Just said in one of the NFL threads I don't dread having the top CBS crew call my team's games anymore.

For some reason TV people decided that the game needed to be dumbed down at some point in the 90's? Maybe earlier. Like, John Madden was a really smart football mind and he'd explain concepts at length early on. Then he became just a guy who said boom later in his career.

He's less well known as a broadcaster (because he's a train wreck of a human being and lost his job) but Bill Maas was like this too. When he first started he'd talk about blocking schemes and techniques and be pretty interesting to listen to. Like a year later someone told him to make hot takes instead and that's what he did until he was out of the booth.

It's also a matter than once you go directly from the field to the booth you're still in-tune with what's currently going on in the game. I remember when Jeff Van Gundy left Houston and went on ESPN he was dropping hot fire about free throw rebounding or something super in-depth like that. But as you spend further and further away from the game everything evolves and either you talk about concepts and stuff that no longer applies or you resort to cliches and gimmickry. You can talk to all the coaches and players you want but they'll never give you the entire picture because they know it's your job to talk about it, so you end up becoming a slightly smarter version of the people watching at home, at best.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

College absolutely has touchdown/commercial/kickoff/commercial.

Maybe in the championship game but in a decade or so of spending my whole Saturdays watching upwards of 10 games I've never noticed it. Certainly not during Big Ten nooners, which are the closest equivalent to a 1 p.m. Jags-Titans matchup which definitely has them.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe in the championship game but in a decade or so of spending my whole Saturdays watching upwards of 10 games I've never noticed it. Certainly not during Big Ten nooners, which are the closest equivalent to a 1 p.m. Jags-Titans matchup which definitely has them.

CBS has them on a regular basis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it seems to really vary by network and even conference sometimes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Yeah it seems to really vary by network and even conference sometimes

That makes sense. Fox and CBS present college ball very similarly to NFL games (especially the former).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

CBS has them on a regular basis.

ESPN/ABC and Big Ten Network does not.

Some times BTN doesn't even go to commercial between touchdown and kickoff. It's almost jarring.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There are only so many seed corn companies to buy the advertising space

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

At least it's not 6 minutes of alternating Velveeta and Ro-Tel ads

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I remember the days of them explaining stunts and which guard/tackle didn't pick up his man and what done led to the sack.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bob Ley is firmly in Sergio Dipp's corner:

quote:

“Eight years ago when I was covering a World Cup qualifier in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, a local television producer asked me if I would be interviewed there, could I try to do it in Spanish? Now I know a little soccer Spanish to get around the game a little bit, so I said I’d give it a shot. I’ll tell you, after 20 seconds I had to stop, apologize, and say, ‘Guys, I’m sorry, we’ve got to do this in English.’ I’ve worked with many people in that sport from all over the globe who comment live on the air, English is their second language, and my respect for them doing that is absolutely unbridled.”

“So the internet trolling of my colleague, Sergio Dipp, last night really ticked me off. Sergio was working the sidelines of our NFL Monday Night Football nightcap. His first report was not as smooth as he would want. You’ve probably seen it, it’s all over today. Enter the trolls. But Sergio does not need me to say anything today. He said it online.”

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/907958418744283136

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

drat I'm feeling good
My Ditka game good
I feel like I should

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

During the Champions League a few years ago Clarence Seedorf jumped between Italian, English, Dutch and Portuguese in the span of a few games. Step your game up, people.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

During the Champions League a few years ago Clarence Seedorf jumped between Italian, English, Dutch and Portuguese in the span of a few games. Step your game up, people.

holy drat :stare:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah, that was a hell of a thing to witness.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/ianistweeting/status/907801403795443712

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sergio Dipp owns, gently caress the haters

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

I know why he'd be fluent in English, Dutch, and Italian, but where does Portuguese come in for him?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I know why he'd be fluent in English, Dutch, and Italian, but where does Portuguese come in for him?

Brazil, I'm guessing?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/908043698012909568

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Holy loving poo poo. I knew he was petty, but I didn't think he was THAT petty :psyduck:

Also, I hope ESPN grows a pair and sues for chilling effects on freedom of speech, considering that's coming from the government and not a private citizen.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

you really honestly thought he wasn't that petty?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

It says she said "its a fireable offense" not "she should be fired", which is still petty but not quite the same.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If ESPN just realized that no one has ever given a single poo poo what Clay Travis says about anything and just ignored it rather than giving in to a handful of chodes on Twitter by apologizing this would have been such a nothing story.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

MourningView posted:

If ESPN just realized that no one has ever given a single poo poo what Clay Travis says about anything and just ignored it rather than giving in to a handful of chodes on Twitter by apologizing this would have been such a nothing story.

yep

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/908058316953325574

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

ding ding ding

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Crazy Ted posted:

He played for Botafogo and his wife is Brazilian.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jackdickey/status/908116569875795968

he knows he's hosed

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao these unfounded legal issues.

dog they have tapes and poo poo.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dexo posted:

lmao these unfounded legal issues.

dog they have tapes and poo poo.

I read this post in a Francesca voice.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

a collective inability to ignore attention seekers seems to be a common theme this past half decade or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hey guys one moment

*Takes massive hit*

What if ESPN knows what it's doing to promote their show and get (decent) people on the side of their host.

https://twitter.com/HeathEvans44/status/908036021714948096

Also

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/908173152370520064

"gently caress that bitch rear end Trump still tho"

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 14, 2017