Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Haifisch posted:

Reminder that one of the writers said that it's impossible for men and women to be platonic friends.

Which explains a lot about P3's romance routes when you think about it.

It wasn't one of the writers, it was the director.

I was a bit more hostile towards Sae in a few of the upcoming interrogation bits following that scene. Because seriously, telling your only family that she's a burden on you and that she's worthless? What the actual goddamn gently caress, Sae? :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Haifisch posted:

Reminder that one of the writers said that it's impossible for men and women to be platonic friends.

Which explains a lot about P3's romance routes when you think about it.

But, but then why couldn't I date Junpei???

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Whoa, cool it. We’re not tryin’ to mug you or anything. Please, I don’t want to end up like the others…!

Small error here. Part of that is ATMan's dialogue.

Well that was just unnecessary.

GhostStalker posted:

Well, while I was typing that out, an update was posted.

I remember some commentary somewhere on this scene which basically amounted to "So all the dirt Kaneshiro has on us is 'pay me ¥3 million or I post these photos of Makoto and the rest of you kids standing around in a club looking confused and uncomfortable.' Top level blackmail." Enough so that the Phantom Thieves are willing to let him get away with something pretty drat unconscionable (at least to me) if they don't get around to changing his heart instead of letting those photos get out (spoiler possibly for next update for shenanigans taking place then).

I get Joker showing up in a photo like that might give evidence that is a parole violation or something like that (underage in a club with alcohol and possibly drugs, consorting with criminals in the mafia, etc). But Makoto might not be tarred with the same brush that badly if those photos get out or whatever.

Others replied that it's another Japanese culture disconnect with western audiences, and that as Japan is a society that places a huge amount of attention on preventing the taboo of public shame getting out, it makes more sense. Letting those photos get out would reflect badly on Makoto, destroy her honor student status and killing her future college career by making it so that she would never get a recommendation and get accepted, and likely reflect very badly on Sae as a public prosecutor, killing her career prospects as well. So she would do whatever to prevent said photos from getting out.

Even having it explained like that and being raised in East Asian culture looking down on game as well, it's still a major disconnect with me regarding this blackmail. Want to know if others had the same feelings on this scene.

I feel like I remember someone saying in one of these Persona threads that, ideally, you wouldn't need to call the police to report a crime in Asian culture because you wouldn't need to have interaction with the police. Doing so is seen unfavorably upon you.

So, assuming I'm remembering that right, I guess that kind of association would be the same. Why would a bunch of kids who are doing nothing wrong be in a place with drugs and alcohol?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 14, 2017

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah for many people, this is Sae's 'Yusuke blackmailing Ann' moment, the part which just sours their view of the character completely.

This happened to me. I had a family member who would blow up on me like she did, so no matter what Sae would do for the rest of the game I was completely poisoned against her.

Like for the rest of the game I always took the most antagonistic dialogue choices I could against her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Come on, you all look so tense. I think I’ll call it… “Debauchery of Minors at a Club.” So, can I send this to your school?
That’s--
Oh, drat, I got booze and cigs in the shot! Maybe some drugs too?

I feed on dumbshits like you. …Understand, pretty little student council president? Now listen up. Run your mouth to the police, and I’ll break all of you, starting with your families. I want to give you the usual month, but well, you have such a large group here… Three weeks. Bring three million yen by then. No less. Summer bonuses are around the corner, you know? It’ll be easy if you beg your mommies and daddies.

Oh man, the guy we’re targeting for his history of blackmail is blackmailing us! Who could have possibly predicted this?

Oh my god, Kaneshiro is so powerful. If only we also wielded this strange rectangular sorcery that allows one to capture moments and freeze them in time. Perhaps we could then counter his wizardry with an account of the events from our perspective, with some goon holding the Student Council President hostage face-down against the floor in frame and him doing nothing to stop it.

Unfortunately, we cannot compete with Kaneshiro's genius-level intellect.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Oh my god, Kaneshiro is so powerful. If only we also wielded this strange rectangular sorcery that allows one to capture moments and freeze them in time. Perhaps we could then counter his wizardry with an account of the events from our perspective, with some goon holding the Student Council President hostage face-down against the floor in frame and him doing nothing to stop it.

But they have guns? I mean, bad idea provoking them further.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kaneshiro is rumored to have connections. Considering what happened to Maaku the gang is sensibly assuming that nothing short of Phantom Thief shenanigans will work.
In addition, there's a gun to Makoto's head and these guys can presumably get away with murder, and that's not just a figure of speech in this case. I would not make any kind of movement in this situation.

I have an hypothesis about Sae's outburst (seriously :wtc:) but it relies on late game reveals. Remind me once we reach the little widdle problem of Maaku being in police custody.

As for what Makoto was trying to do here: I think the idea was to take one for the team, allow #Millennials the access to Kaneshiro they need and trust them to solve the situation. Of course, she badly misjudged how bad it would get.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 14, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Doubtful, actually. Japan has a rigorous gun control law that has been reflected in the media- it's why you typically never see any guns, or far too many in anime, but not if it's set in Japan and making pretense to realism- and while this is a fantasy story, it's set in modern Tokyo, so this is reflected in the story. It's why so much has been made of getting model guns, and honestly Maaku would probably be in enough trouble if he was caught with one of those. Yes, yes, Mafia group, and they don't obey laws and alla that... but even the Yakuza have tacit agreements with the government to stamp down of gun proliferation, so between the strict embargo at ports and the stonewalling of the still very large Yakuza groups, it's often too much of a pain to just get a gun for just anybody to use, even for Mafia groups like Kaneshiro's- and even if he did have one, a gun related incident raises way too many red flags and attention by the police.

Not that any of this really matters, as they all probably had other weapons and after all, had Makoto pinned down in a way that they could hurt or kill her before any of the gang could do much at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Omobono posted:

I have an hypothesis about Sae's outburst (seriously :wtc:) but it relies on late game reveals.

There's no "hypothesis" needed to explain that freakout of Sae's. She's a woman in a male-dominated field working a hellishly stressful job, who occasionally has to eat poo poo from a (devastatingly handsome) high-schooler working alongside her, so the pressure keeps building and building until she finally vents it on the one person in her life who can't damage her professionally. It doesn't excuse her, but it definitely explains her behavior.

This game has a recurring thread of society and authority constantly being eager to condemn and abuse those who can't fight back, and it's plain to see in Makoto's situation. She has no actual authority and she keeps being used, threatened, and taunted by everyone around her, until she finally snaps and starts acting recklessly just for the sake of making her own decisions for a change. Then they just wind up getting blackmailed by Kaneshiro, and while the photograph doesn't seem like much, it's a lot more potent considering Japan's culture (kids being sighted near drugs is an instant scarlet letter) and that theme of powerlessness (the protagonist and his friends are still on thin ice with their peers, who would love a chance to go "see, I knew they were no good all along," and as mentioned before Makoto's useless prestige just makes her even more vulnerable to someone damaging her reputation).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Honestly, never noticed a gun in the picture at all. Even looking for it, I still can't find it.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, never noticed a gun in the picture at all. Even looking for it, I still can't find it.

I was assuming they had weapons, since mafia and all.

Even if they don't have guns, beating someone is entirely possible. We can't take their picture. I'm sure. Kaneshiro would go ballistic.

Your post was great though. I laughed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I was assuming they had weapons, since mafia and all.

Even if they don't have guns, beating someone is entirely possible. We can't take their picture. I'm sure. Kaneshiro would go ballistic.

Your post was great though. I laughed.

Japan's gun laws are so incredibly strict that even the Yakuza are a little skittish around them. Being caught in possession of a firearm is almost a guaranteed multi-year sentence, and if the courts are able to come close to proving that the weapon has actually been fired then you can be put away for life. At least one Japanese police officer ran afoul of their gun laws posthumously; he committed suicide with his service weapon, and his corpse was sued and convicted of non-designated firearm use.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 14, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Of course it would be so easy to resolve. All they have to do is trust that the figures of authority would do the right thing. Every character has every reason in the world to trust the authority which has definitely not done everything possible to either screw them over or is in the active process of screwing them over.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

There's no "hypothesis" needed to explain that freakout of Sae's. She's a woman in a male-dominated field working a hellishly stressful job, who occasionally has to eat poo poo from a (devastatingly handsome) high-schooler working alongside her, so the pressure keeps building and building until she finally vents it on the one person in her life who can't damage her professionally. It doesn't excuse her, but it definitely explains her behavior.

I get the explanation, and I see what it does for Makoto's character arc. But god drat Sae just lost every point in her favor as a character. At least the blackmailing thing was somewhat dismissible as dumbass teens being dumbass teens, but unloading like that on not only a (effectively) helpless minor but also your only family before ending with "I think I'm going to avoid you in the future"? That poo poo was ice cold and unnecessarily cruel. In any other game I'd peg Sae as a major antagonist rather than part of the narration at this point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

I get the explanation, and I see what it does for Makoto's character arc. But god drat Sae just lost every point in her favor as a character. At least the blackmailing thing was somewhat dismissible as dumbass teens being dumbass teens, but unloading like that on not only a (effectively) helpless minor but also your only family before ending with "I think I'm going to avoid you in the future"? That poo poo was ice cold and unnecessarily cruel. In any other game I'd peg Sae as a major antagonist rather than part of the narration at this point.

That was less a parting shot and more Sae's horribly inept way of trying to be conciliatory - "I need to distance myself from you because I'm toxic to be around right now."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Here's the promised video of Kaneshiro's English voice. It's freaky.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
His voice works a lot better for Krishna then it does for Kaneshiro.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That voice does not match that face.

Oxxidation posted:

Japan's gun laws are so incredibly strict that even the Yakuza are a little skittish around them. Being caught in possession of a firearm is almost a guaranteed multi-year sentence, and if the courts are able to come close to proving that the weapon has actually been fired then you can be put away for life. At least one Japanese police officer ran afoul of their gun laws posthumously; he committed suicide with his service weapon, and his corpse was sued and convicted of non-designated firearm use.

How do you sue a corpse?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How do you sue a corpse?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSA9TqjUn8

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That voice does not match that face.

How do you sue a corpse?

Ask these guys!

But yeah... that's Kaneshiro, the threatening criminal genius with Shibuya under his thumb. Are you threatened?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

resurgam40 posted:

But yeah... that's Kaneshiro, the threatening criminal genius with Shibuya under his thumb. Are you threatened?

I mean he could have the voice of Kermit the Frog and it still wouldn't change the fact he's in control of a few hundred guys (est.) that are significantly more threatening.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
When I played up to this part, my friend was watching and we both burst into laughter at seeing Kaneshiro. While I'm giggling my friend blurts "WHY IS HIS FACE SO loving TINY?!"

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Drakenel posted:

When I played up to this part, my friend was watching and we both burst into laughter at seeing Kaneshiro. While I'm giggling my friend blurts "WHY IS HIS FACE SO loving TINY?!"

It shrank because he's a jerk. Anime power.

I think he looks okay though.

Well, that's just because I've seen his shadow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe TV's Garfield joined the mob

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I accidentally replaced my 5/8 save with 5/9, so now I can't not vanquish the mementos on pollen day. What am I going to miss because of this?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That early in the game? Nothing. Enjoy having enemies that occasionally you find asleep. For the record, there is no Mementos-affecting condition that negatively impacts your party. It's always to your benefit in at least a minor way.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Grouchio posted:

I accidentally replaced my 5/8 save with 5/9, so now I can't not vanquish the mementos on pollen day. What am I going to miss because of this?

There's more than one pollen day, don't worry.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rangpur posted:

That early in the game? Nothing. Enjoy having enemies that occasionally you find asleep. For the record, there is no Mementos-affecting condition that negatively impacts your party. It's always to your benefit in at least a minor way.
No I mean, weren't there confidant opportunities that day that Arist wanted to get done?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grouchio posted:

No I mean, weren't there confidant opportunities that day that Arist wanted to get done?

Nothing's permanently missable. I mean obviously you have a 'last day' available to do some confidants near the end of the game, but that's very far off into the future.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I know that we're busy feeling bad for Makoto and making fun of Garfield's Humansona right now, but uh

I feel like this is an under-appreciated moment. I found myself saying "holy poo poo" out loud when I got to that part. Ryuji don't give a gently caress.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Grouchio posted:

the game isn't that tight on getting all of the confidant's done in time in a single playthrough. A day or two here or there isn't really an issue.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ryuji and Makoto are good characters and I like them

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Kaneshiro is not even the first anime thug I have seen with that kind of bodyshape and distracting voice

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Power Bottom posted:

I feel like this is an under-appreciated moment. I found myself saying "holy poo poo" out loud when I got to that part. Ryuji don't give a gently caress.

I appreciate it too. I wish he gets more scenes like this, and less of being a security leak to us.

And echoing the :wtc: at Sae. I hope there's another option later on where we can rub on her face that Makoto is willingly helping us fool her or something.

I can't help but compare them to the Suou brothers in P2. Innocent Sin was from Tatsuya's perspective, so Katsuya comes across as a dick who tells Tatsuya to stop meddling in police affairs. But in Eternal Punishment, Maya sees that Katsuya loves his brother and wants him to stay out of trouble. Of course, Katsuya never told Tatsuya he was worthless and a burden.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I can only assume the reason Sae blew up like that is because she's incredibly frustrated with her job or something, assuming we're supposed to have any sympathy for her, otherwise she just comes off as nasty.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Sae, just like every other named character in this story, has been getting shat on by institutionalized disadvantages in one way or another. Persona 5 is very much a story about people who routinely gently caress up and who are kind of on the fringes of society. Sae in particular is a woman in a male-dominated field, and a sort of single surrogate mother to boot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

I can only assume the reason Sae blew up like that is because she's incredibly frustrated with her job or something, assuming we're supposed to have any sympathy for her, otherwise she just comes off as nasty.

I get that she's likely stressed by her job, but the scene as it happens is still basically

Hey, do you think dad would support the Phantom Thieves if they were genuinely helping people?
HOLY poo poo, STOP THINKING ABOUT STUPID THINGS SO YOU CAN STOP BEING A BURDEN ON MY LIFE, YOU PARASITE

And then she actually does go right back to eating afterwards. :psyduck:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I get that she's likely stressed by her job, but the scene as it happens is still basically

Hey, do you think dad would support the Phantom Thieves if they were genuinely helping people?
HOLY poo poo, STOP THINKING ABOUT STUPID THINGS SO YOU CAN STOP BEING A BURDEN ON MY LIFE, YOU PARASITE

And then she actually does go right back to eating afterwards. :psyduck:

Yeah, I think I poorly phrased what I said originally, what I essentially meant was that we should hopefully get context that show's us Sae's life at work or whatever is hard and bad or something, if the devolopers expect us to sympathise with her, if we don't get any such context, than I hope we're not expected to sympathise with her, since that seemed just plain nasty.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I was assuming Kaneshiro's name was a pun, because "kane" can mean "money" and "shiro" "castle"... but no, I looked up the kanji and his name is straight up Moneycastle. :20bux: