Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

precision posted:

Same here, I started a new game the other night and I'm up to week 30 and I can count the number of sub-3 heals on one hand. I've been routinely bringing him as my only healer. The Bleed has almost never procced either.

I know the plural of "anecdote" isn't "data" but it really feels like there is something going on. Is he more likely to heal well when there's plenty of light? Or not stressed? It's crazy that in 10-12 hours of play both of my Occultists have been so lucky, whereas last time I played (month ago or two ago?) I got lots of 0-3 heals.

I wonder if +healing items affect the base healing (so +40% of 0-10 makes it roll 0-14, instead of taking the healing value and increasing it), which would make it less likely for the occ to roll a 0.

:shrug: the occ was so reliable, they were my main Healer through the entirety of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

I wonder if +healing items affect the base healing (so +40% of 0-10 makes it roll 0-14, instead of taking the healing value and increasing it), which would make it less likely for the occ to roll a 0.

Nope, that's not how it works; you multiply, and then round up. In most cases, the difference between 25%, 30% or 33% doesn't really mean anything until the numbers get so high you're likely to fully heal anyway. But you can have some fun results; if you put the Ancestor's Scroll and his CC trinket on the Crusader, you can get Inspiring Cry to heal 15 stress and 4 health, since the district building pushes the total to +55%.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I haven't touched this game in a year, and I've had only minor temptations to come back. But now, I've decided to try something twisted.

Just going to see how far I can take this. I will try to update if anything funny ends up happening.

At least nobody died on the first mission.(barely)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
a tpk counts as funny

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Coolguye posted:

a tpk counts as funny

Not funny ha ha, though. :smith:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
when the party is 4 jesters?

disagree

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
They will be laughing still, at the end.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

What are you doing you fool

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Infinite Finales!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Apparently Finale is now 1/combat and Solo is 2/combat. At least a lot of skills give Finale a buff, though. Too bad any combat lasting that long is a combat wherein the enemies brutalize your tissue-paper-armored fools.

Second mission went OK, I guess.

Oh look, I unlocked a region without skeletons!

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 13, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hello goons, I haven't played in a while and I was thinking of buying the dlc, but the steam reviews seem a bit negative.

What are your opinions on the quality of the dlc?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I didn't really like it much because the DLC enemies populate all the existing zones in increasing numbers over time, and while the enemies are cool and high quality, they are also extremely difficult, tuned entirely around forcing you to catch the curse (because they are all either 10+ speed fast or else meaty and unstunnable, so they will always get curse-spreading attacks off), and there's a relatively small number of different kinds. Eventually it felt like I was having 50% of my fights be against the same three DLC enemies, no matter what zone I was in. The effect of this is that even though the DLC adds new monsters and areas, it actually made the game feel LESS diverse than it did before. I was running the same parties everywhere just because they were parties good vs. the DLC enemies. In the end I burned out on it and didn't finish.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still mad they nerfed finale.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

I didn't really like it much because the DLC enemies populate all the existing zones in increasing numbers over time, and while the enemies are cool and high quality, they are also extremely difficult, tuned entirely around forcing you to catch the curse (because they are all either 10+ speed fast or else meaty and unstunnable, so they will always get curse-spreading attacks off), and there's a relatively small number of different kinds. Eventually it felt like I was having 50% of my fights be against the same three DLC enemies, no matter what zone I was in. The effect of this is that even though the DLC adds new monsters and areas, it actually made the game feel LESS diverse than it did before. I was running the same parties everywhere just because they were parties good vs. the DLC enemies. In the end I burned out on it and didn't finish.

This was my experience as I stopped after the first CC boss (the baron). To add to this the mechanics of the curse itself are entirely designed around giving you even less control over a game whose gameplay already consists of watching a slot machine tell you whether the thing you did mattered or not. When people get the curse (and they will, inevitably) then sometimes you don't even get to pull the lever.

The presentation of all the new stuff is fantastic as usual but it managed to make gameplay I could already barely tolerate even worse and more passive. Didn't care about seeing the rest of the courtyard enough to put up with it and I don't recommend the expansion.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

double nine posted:

hello goons, I haven't played in a while and I was thinking of buying the dlc, but the steam reviews seem a bit negative.

What are your opinions on the quality of the dlc?

If you have a well established Hamlet, the DLC is pretty neat. The new area is very different from other maps (the new maps are huge), the new character is straight up Over powered, and the districts you can build are straight up (minor) power creep.

If you want to start over from scratch, it's a bit more hectic, because invariably your entire team is going to get the Crimson Curse, and you don't really have enough infrastructure at the start of the game to deal with it effectively. Which can lead to some very tense moments on the Macro scale (although on the other hand, that's sort of what the game is designed to do on the micro scale while you are in a dungeon).

That being said, you're not going to like it when 90% of your hamlet are bloodthirsty dudes who flip out in a dungeon looking for blood. So it's a bit of a mixed bag. Personally speaking, I started the game, having never played it (and seen it played at a friends house) when the DLC dropped, on darkest difficulty, and it was tough sledding until I killed the first boss of the CC. It was getting very tense until that point, but after that the game was pretty standard going. There were a number of balance changes with respect to the Crimson Curse DLC, and I think they managed to get the infection rate down to a more manageable level.

After having completed the game, I think it's worth the 5 or so bux if you like the base game.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 13, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The DLC has problems, but I didn't expect people to this negative. First things first: There's three distinct components to the DLC; you can activate the new class and the district upgrades independently from the main Courtyard part that includes the new enemies, trinkets and the Crimson Curse. Next, it definitely makes the game harder, and the way it's integrated into the game has some rough edges.

If you have already beaten the main campaign once, but still want more Darkest Dungeon to play, get it. If DD didn't hold your attention long enough to finish it, and you're wondering if the DLC spices things up enough to give it another try, you'll probably be disappointed.

Edit: Looking at your posting history in this thread, I feel safe in definitely recommending you to get the DLC. What I haven't mentioned before is that the atmosphere and design of the Courtyard and its enemies is fantastic.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 13, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I enjoyed the DLC but I hadn't touched DD in a long time and wanted to replay it anyway. I wouldn't expect it to draw you back in if you're not already into the game.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I played and finished the game for the first time recently and thought the crimson court was great.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

lol I just party wiped Reynauld and some dudes on week 44 against the shambler.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
If you kill the fanatic, does he stay dead or will he respawn? I know there's a veteran and champion version - so do I have to kill both to avoid dealing with that poo poo?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He's like any other wandering miniboss, to my knowledge -- he'll come back.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Tomfoolery update, I swear I'm not making this up edition:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I got the Crimson Court DLC against this thread's advice and it's fuckin' great! Everything has gone horribly wrong for my poor syphilitic adventurers! I like the concept of districts too.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I got the Crimson Court DLC against this thread's advice and it's fuckin' great! Everything has gone horribly wrong for my poor syphilitic adventurers! I like the concept of districts too.

Build a bank ASAP or a sanguine vintners if you need THE BLOOD.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Drewjitsu posted:

Build a bank ASAP or a sanguine vintners if you need THE BLOOD.

Bank first, then money runs to around 150k-175k gold, then never worry about gold ever again.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Thought I'd boot this game up again, only Steam's telling me I'm "Missing file privileges" and won't let me install the game. Anyone familiar with this bug?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

try and install another game to see if it's a DD problem or a Steam problem

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Doing so as we speak, downloading Endless Legend, and it's coming along just fine. When it's done I'll see if that somehow magically did anything for Darkest Dungeon, but I've already found two other people asking about this problem on Darkest Dungeon's discussion page, so I imagine it's a problem unique to this game.

Though your link seems to suggest a few other games have this problem as well. Hmm.

EDIT: Yep, still not working. Pretty tired on my end though, so I'll look into it tomorrow or something.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 22, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
You might try moving the installation folder from program files to somewhere else e.g. C:/Games, but that's just a guess. It's done in the Steam preferences but not sure if you can do it without moving your installation folders for other games.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 22, 2017

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Well I finally finished this game after owning it for ages but never beating it because my saves got deleted/kept getting Dismas & Reynauld killed. I'm actually surprised how difficult the Darkest Dungeon was for me even though I did Radiant (however I couldn't use each team member again because of a mod conflict which really SUCKED):

1: This was the only map where I had almost full team wipes (three times in total) because I kept bringing Occulists who just loved to get those 0 bleed heals. Lost my best Bounty Hunter here and was never able to train a better one up again. I didn't even win until I brought a team of Vestal/Hound/Hound/MAA and got lucky spamming that stress heal and stalling.

2: I always heard that this was the most difficult of the maps but I found it easy and my stress ended pretty low; if you use a MAA with a torch who just guards/ripostes every turn none of the major templars are a threat

3: I got extremely lucky and never got teleported and somehow walked directly to the Locus Beacon. I brought four stacks of eight torches and only went through one! gently caress the Polyps though stop banishing my poor Leper :argh:

4: In the final battle I went with the original team all together (Plague/Vestal/Dismas/Reynauld) and was planning on sacrificing Dismas and Reynauld because why not but I then realized the damage from the final form was higher than I expected so I kept Dismas alive. I let Reynauld die first because he stayed a piece of poo poo to the end and got afflicted early on in the match and wouldn't stop stressing everyone out. My plague doctor also got afflicted and continuously refused to remove blight from everyone so :byewhore:

Overall while the game is fun even on Radiant mode it takes way too long to actually finish if you get unlucky with some characters and have them die leaving you having to spend a few more weeks raising another hero up to replace them. The DLC was also a pain in the rear end as trying to enter the Darkest Dungeon with the Crimson Curse just leads to you getting wiped (I finished the last dungeon completely in one playthrough once I beat the Viscount and everyone was unafflicted). I'll play the game a lot riskier on Normal next time when the next DLC comes out because it is a good time-waster when you watch YouTube on the side but otherwise I'm not touching this game again once I finish off the remaining bosses in the champion Weald and Cove as well as the Countess.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Any tips for bringing dudes into the Darkest Dungeon?

I'm still on the first try. In 2 separate fights one of the party gets alpha striked by every enemy, causing him to get an affliction and tons of bleed stacks, then promptly dies on his next turn due to the bleed. I loaded up on every consumable and even applied holy water and stuff but it doesn't stop one guy getting hit by every enemy. I even managed to get some stuns off but it wasn't enough.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
crossposting from the steam thread: my game crashes pretty much every time i look at loot after a battle. are there any known fixes?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's a first for me haha, I got lucky enough in the introduction mission that a key dropped from the tent on the first room, meaning I could open the trapped chest that just blights you if you open it before leaving.

There were trinkets inside!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whoa

it gave you jester gear. clearly the key itself was a trap

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Any tips for bringing dudes into the Darkest Dungeon?

I'm still on the first try. In 2 separate fights one of the party gets alpha striked by every enemy, causing him to get an affliction and tons of bleed stacks, then promptly dies on his next turn due to the bleed. I loaded up on every consumable and even applied holy water and stuff but it doesn't stop one guy getting hit by every enemy. I even managed to get some stuns off but it wasn't enough.

Bring a MAA and/or Dogman and block for the poor sod. Riposte is extremely helpful overall too. Plague doc is invaluable for curing status and spreading stuns.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Uuuh... I think my occultist had some issues. Perhaps it's for the best fucker died of a heart attack in the Cove. Causing two more attacks and leaving my MaA gimmick dude (backrow with buffs, guard and shield) the only survivor. On the last fight of the quest too! :argh:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I want to post more about this game, but there's nothing to say. Most folks in the thread have beaten the game multiple times already, and we've posted a million tips and tricks on what to do, which strategies to use, class guides, etc.

DarkAvenger211, did you already run the Darkest Dungeon? How did it go?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Excited for the spear/snake lady!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Whoops riposte is not a good idea against the Swine Prince. Still beat him but barely.