Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/907756671438528512

Is filming vertical a sin?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

went to my first Latin Mass on sunday and it was like i'd never been to church before

Welcome to the thread Trad-curious buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Worthleast posted:

Welcome to the thread Trad-curious buddy.

thanks bud. i went from 'i should start going back to mass' to following a bunch of trad twitter accounts and developing strong opinions about vatican II in like ~6 months. none so righteous i guess

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Y'know, I tell myself sometimes that I should read the documents of Vatican II, but I've already got so much on my plate. Right now I'm something like 1/8th of the way through Don Quixote.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Keromaru5 posted:

Y'know, I tell myself sometimes that I should read the documents of Vatican II, but I've already got so much on my plate. Right now I'm something like 1/8th of the way through Don Quixote.

when you're done with that - i'm also a medievalist grad student so if anyone wants weird medieval christian texts i've got a bunch of fun recommendations

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

i'm also a medievalist grad student so if anyone wants weird medieval christian texts i've got a bunch of fun recommendations

You have found yourself around excellent company.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i know it's not the only reason but whenever people say "i have serious problems with vatican ii" i'm just like "the parts where it paves the way for contextual theology and liberation theologies or the part where it says freedom of religion is a human right"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

when you're done with that - i'm also a medievalist grad student so if anyone wants weird medieval christian texts i've got a bunch of fun recommendations

you should talk to HEY GAIL, she studies 30YW Saxon soldiers who wield pikes and throw people out windows etc

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 14, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Senju Kannon posted:

i know it's not the only reason but whenever people say "i have serious problems with vatican ii" i'm just like "the parts where it paves the way for contextual theology and liberation theologies or the part where it says freedom of religion is a human right"

realizing that the sspx is less about latin and more about jews is when i started to get woke

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Lol, SSPX is about jews? What chodes.

I'm not a fan of my local church, so I tend to listen to Sunday mass over internet radio. They do it from different churches erry time, and let me tell you, I'll take Latin and organs over Lithuanian and guitars.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Lithuanian and guitars does sound pretty trill, though!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Imagine English and guitars, like the stereotype with youth reach out churches, but in Lithuanian. If they came up with cooler lyrics, maybe...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Caufman posted:

The benefactor remained anonymous, but it almost certainly means what you think it means. I have no problem with it; what happens in the dark should come out in the light, in this life if not the next.

And I've already disclosed as much of my story as I feel I need to on these dead forums. A few years before the events of Spotlight took place, I was sexually abused by an older, non-religious family member, and it was a Catholic deacon and his church lady wife who were among the first to tell me that what happened to me was abuse, and that it wasn't my fault.

1) Bloody hell I had no idea Caufman, I am so sorry!

2) But you are, seriously, one of the nicest and most geniuine people I've seen on here, it seems unfair to give you a bad avatar like that.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I don't think of it as a bad avatar. It may have been given to me in mockery, but I happen to like Catholicism, stylized black & white imagery, and swing sets. And it doesn't come with an angry red caption, either.

Regardless, the story behind Spotlight is not one to be ignored or avoided, even if those events were perpendicular instead of parallel to my own.

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

Imagine English and guitars, like the stereotype with youth reach out churches, but in Lithuanian. If they came up with cooler lyrics, maybe...

I know exactly what you mean, it's a thing here too. I like the sound of lithuanian vocals in general, though!

Caufman posted:

The benefactor remained anonymous, but it almost certainly means what you think it means. I have no problem with it; what happens in the dark should come out in the light, in this life if not the next.

And I've already disclosed as much of my story as I feel I need to on these dead forums. A few years before the events of Spotlight took place, I was sexually abused by an older, non-religious family member, and it was a Catholic deacon and his church lady wife who were among the first to tell me that what happened to me was abuse, and that it wasn't my fault.

drat, I'm sorry dude. Seconding that you're a mighty decent christian and all-around cool guy, and I shall pray that you do well in all future endeavours.

If that av irks you the slightest, I would be happy to cut my chocolate budget and buy you a new one, just let me know.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That's nice and generous of you, thank you, but I would only want it changed if it bothered other people. SA is not a safe space, but I don't need to be unintentionally making it less safe.

edit: In a related story, after the allegations and lawsuits regarding clergy sex abuse and cover-up scandal, it became my parish's policy (and possibly the policy of the entire archdiocese) that adults have to be in groups of at least two when working with children. I think it's a pretty good policy for any adult who spends a lot of time around kids.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 14, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, Caufman, you're a certified cool guy/goon!

Meanwhile, what is happening here?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

A scam by the sounds of it, Bloody hell.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Looks like a crook to me. Legit healers won't ask for more after they are already done taking an old lady for all that she got, in my experience. Dude's an Ethiopian Creflo Dollar, which is pretty sad :(

That picture of women in sari prostrating themselves before the picture of Christ is pretty breathtaking, though!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

thanks bud. i went from 'i should start going back to mass' to following a bunch of trad twitter accounts and developing strong opinions about vatican II in like ~6 months. none so righteous i guess

Greetings

Senju Kannon posted:

The Vatican 2 mass should have just been the Tridentine in vernacular

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
from what i hear the missal these days isn't too far off from that

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Senju Kannon posted:

from what i hear the missal these days isn't too far off from that

It has been trimmed down significantly and gently caress the sign of peace

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why the gently caress is the priest looking at me

I'm the least important part of this event

Heinous Anus
Oct 12, 2016

Smoking Crow posted:

gently caress the sign of peace

:same: why the heck did they change it so much, the original sign of peace is between the dudes on the altar why am I involved

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

Why the gently caress is the priest looking at me

I'm the least important part of this event

maybe the priest wants to share the miracle of the eucharist with everyone in the congregation and not hide it behind his back like a magician doing sleight of hand

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm already sharing in the miracle by ingesting the eucharist

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the eucharist can be a feast for your eyes AND your insides

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

realizing that the sspx is less about latin and more about jews is when i started to get woke

Well I never. The anti-semites were all kicked out along with the 9/11 truthers. I just met a newly ordained SSPX priest who is a convert from Judaism and he has some exceedingly choice words about anti-semitism.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I apologize for the insult, but the fact remains that the SSPX, at least at a high level, does seem to have more to do with arguments over ecumenism and religious liberty than the liturgy per se

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
doesn't really change the fact that a lot of the most vocal critics of the second vatican coucnil were critical of it specifically because of a, the religious freedom clause, and b, the fact that proselytizing the jews was now discouraged

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I apologize for the insult, but the fact remains that the SSPX, at least at a high level, does seem to have more to do with arguments over ecumenism and religious liberty than the liturgy per se

Careful between those still in the SSPX and those who say that they are "the true SSPX" despite being kicked out for racism etc.

For whoever wanted to read the documents of Vatican II, I suggest the Decree on Social Communication, which is only three pages long, and basically says "The Church recognizes that TV now exists, and people are influenced by it".

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

the eucharist can be a feast for your eyes AND your insides

you can only see the host when he holds it up anyway and id rather he be facing the cross than me at that point

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Worthleast posted:

Is filming vertical a sin?

Unequivocally yes.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Someone who was doing their PhD research on this just visited my parish. I didn't get a chance to talk to her at all, but my wife did and the lady mentioned that exorcisms were virtually unheard of within Orthodoxy in Ethiopia until some pentecostal group came and made it all the rage.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
tie your sleeves back TIE YOUR SLEEVES BACk

she could loving die

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

no the parts where it talks about the vernacular

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

The Vatican 2 mass should have just been the Tridentine in vernacular
i went to an ANglican funeral that was like that. So good.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

maybe the priest wants to share the miracle of the eucharist with everyone in the congregation and not hide it behind his back like a magician doing sleight of hand

the miracle is shared when we participate in the ritual. moreover, "communion by the eyes" is a medieval thing, it's entirely possible to do it within the rubrics of the old rite--there are reports of elevations lasting up to an hour. You can bring that back if you want.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

broke: being an anti-semite in the latin mass
woke: being an anti-anti-semite in the latin mass
bespoke: you can have an even older ritual that was never changed, all you have to do is cross the bosporous...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
anyway i did not mean to imply the bourgeoisie is good, which is why i am literally ennobling myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

no the parts where it talks about the vernacular

but that part is good. what does latin mean to cultures with no connection to rome? it seems like an imposition, especially since translating from latin to indigenous languages usually requires an english translation in between

• Locked thread