Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

exmarx posted:

Yeah, the majority of English's Cabinet (and 7 of the top 10) voted against letting gay people get married. There are a few insanely conservative candidates on their list this time too.

ooh, like who? National has never been in danger of getting my vote but I want to know which shitheads to keep an eye on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

The Schwa posted:

ooh, like who? National has never been in danger of getting my vote but I want to know which shitheads to keep an eye on

the candidate for the (safe blue) Pakuranga seat made a 45 point submission against marriage equality, and their New Lynn candidate thinks sex is only for making babies. I think there might be a couple of others too?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

the candidate for the (safe blue) Pakuranga seat made a 45 point submission against marriage equality, and their New Lynn candidate thinks sex is only for making babies. I think there might be a couple of others too?

Look at this chinless shithead.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

exmarx posted:

He said he was pro-life because it was a "conscience thing" for him.

"If a young woman understood how hard it is to have a child when you are young and you're not ready, they'll probably think twice."

oh cool, thanks dude

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Solus posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh

For what it's worth it doesn't look like he will president for much longer. SGM has been called over this.

edit: And the best bit is he was only elected two and a half weeks ago.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

:discourse:

Amazing.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Advance voting is crazy up on previous elections -- 90k votes in 48 hours. It's a 300%ish increase on last time.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 13, 2017

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Hey look Top/Gareth Morgan is already walking back on a promise.
Apparently he said Top didn't want to be in parliament unless they hit 5% and he didn't want to be in unless they got 10%. Today they started targeting a couple of electorates pretty hard to get an MP so their 2% isn't wasted.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Varkk posted:

Hey look Top/Gareth Morgan is already walking back on a promise.
Apparently he said Top didn't want to be in parliament unless they hit 5% and he didn't want to be in unless they got 10%. Today they started targeting a couple of electorates pretty hard to get an MP so their 2% isn't wasted.

The hot new thing is TOP and Green voters giving electorates to National, and then saying having a Tory local MP doesn't matter because the Labour MP you'd have is in parliament anyway.

quote:

Health Minister Jonathan Coleman has criticised Labour leader Jacinda Ardern for bringing her 85-year-old grandfather into the political debate.

"I think it's a bit edgy, bringing close family into the political debate," Coleman said when asked about the situation.

:catstare:

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2017/09/13/46657/national-mp-trained-by-chinese-spies

Is this the big story that was getting hyped up awhile back?

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 13, 2017

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Someone at my office has posted up a strange photoshop of Helen Clark removing a Jacinda mask.
I'm not really sure what the message is there but I'm annoyed that I have to see it when I go for coffee

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Remember how things were not completely terrible in the early to mid 2000s? If we elect Jacinda we will have to go through that again!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remember the last time a woman was PM and it freaked me out because I'm a giant manbaby who prints poo poo I see on facebook? It's exactly the same thing about to happen and I'm freaking out!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Remember the last time a woman was PM and it freaked me out because I'm a giant manbaby who prints poo poo I see on facebook? It's exactly the same thing about to happen and I'm freaking out!

I thought that was about ethics in video games journalism.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
look, you can't have two people in red jackets who have vaginas it's just not possible

emminou
May 25, 2006

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 13, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yikes

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've been thinking about how much you must hate yourself to be gay and support National. Like, what sort of mental gymnastics do you have to do to justify that to yourself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Actually it's quite simple, you just ask yourself if you're rich and white and go from there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, being white-passing and well-off is a significant mitigating factor on ever having to come to terms with an identity as a minority.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Slavvy posted:

Actually it's quite simple, you just ask yourself if you're rich and white and go from there.

Pretty much this. If you're rich and white and oldish you probably think social progress isn't a big deal anymore. Well, that's the best explanation I can come up with for some people I do know who fall into this category.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
wasn't there a poster exactly like that a few nzpols back who lived in epsom?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Taitale posted:

For what it's worth it doesn't look like he will president for much longer. SGM has been called over this.

edit: And the best bit is he was only elected two and a half weeks ago.

He ended up resigning at tonight's exec meeting.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Xik posted:

I've been thinking about how much you must hate yourself to be gay and support National. Like, what sort of mental gymnastics do you have to do to justify that to yourself.
I personally know three who are also fanatical National supporters.

It's loving bizarre.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hooray, back to Labour being mealy-mouthed cowards desperately trying to hold the mythical 'centre'

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/96830392/labour-releases-full-tax-plan-in-response-to-criticism-over-its-working-group

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Justifying my Greens vote one press conference at a time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Let's do this, unless it's too inconvenient.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Vast majority of landlords claim they'll increase rents more if a Lab government is formed.

Guillotines can't come soon enough.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They've gotta get loving elected and they were getting killed on the tax stuff. I'm disappointed but not as disappointed as I would be to have a National/NZF government.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

They are going back to Little's policy of having the tax working group report back and then taking the proposals in to the next election.
But they were getting hosed hard by the lies of National. Had some Labour supporters who were undecided because of the worry that Jacinda was going to tax the to death. All based on lies and rumours.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Meanwhile national have a radio ad with a literal fart joke.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The mood seemed to shift from a general leaning that some more tax was at least okay because of underfunded services to 'more taxes!?!?' suprisingly quickly.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah even the people I know who are going to vote Labour suddenly have the impression that Labour are going to tax everyone to death.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Vast majority of landlords claim they'll increase rents more if a Lab government is formed.

Guillotines can't come soon enough.
I've never met a landlord that actually knows the law around rent increases so hopefully enough of them breach it that they start getting slammed in the media and then the courtroom.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Ah well it was fun to get my hopes up about the election while it lasted

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

I've never met a landlord that actually knows the law around rent increases so hopefully enough of them breach it that they start getting slammed in the media and then the courtroom.

I'd imagine the majority of landlords aren't dumb enough to run foul of tenancy law in this respect, even given your experiences with them. The intent is to terrorise the working-class portion of the electorate with fears of increased rents prior to a closely contested election.

Also hell will freeze over before more than a few (probably Asian) landlords get slammed by the media.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So MIT (where I study) is hosting a leaders debate on the 19th September, but I can't find anything about it other than the in-house email invitation they've sent out. Who is meant to be there debating? I'm trying to decide if I should go so I can boo Blinglish

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Colmar Brunton:

Labour 44%
National 40%
Green 7%
NZF 6%
TOP 2%

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
agh I can't take another week of this

Signed up to scrutineer, should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems pretty optimisitc.

TBH I don't 'get' polls. Before the lecture begins: I understand how statistics work, I realise that a representative sample can be relatively small and still have accuracy. But in this case we're doing polls every few days and I find it hard to believe that out of a group of a thousand-odd people there are so many that are hemming and hawing and vacillating constantly on which way to vote and that this also perfectly reflects the vacillating of the public at large.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 14, 2017

• Locked thread