Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that seems really weird and unfortunate. i can understand granting access to that space, but it should at least be opt-in, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I would definitely assume it's opt-in and they probably started from a game iOS project template.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

rjmccall posted:

that seems really weird and unfortunate. i can understand granting access to that space, but it should at least be opt-in, right?

You'd think so, but uh...

(from the iPhone thread and Awful app GitHub, right now)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I kind of think that the camera wart may be here to stay because it is one of the last somewhat distinguishing design features on an iphone now that they are getting rid of the home button. same with the screen notch.

nah its totally this

qirex posted:

I should have guessed, they'd never give up that sweet, sweet high margin revenue stream

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the camera wart is because jony wants thin but physics. you can bet when someone invents the flat plenoptic camera or whatever that bump will be gone.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so you're saying its not because they can sell a piece of rubber for $34.99* to avoid constant and potentially damaging abrasion on the one part of the phone that would be most sensitive to scratches?

* guessing on the price, lets see if i'm right!! e: almost! they're $39.00

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the second-worst notch

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

The Management posted:

the camera wart is because jony wants thin but physics. you can bet when someone invents the flat plenoptic camera or whatever that bump will be gone.

I like it when you post about Apple. It's good to hear from the people who have been on the inside talk about this stuff in a more matter-of-fact kinda way than the corporate presentation does.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

so you're saying its not because they can sell a piece of rubber for $34.99* to avoid constant and potentially damaging abrasion on the one part of the phone that would be most sensitive to scratches?

lol if you think jony will compromise his design for mere money. also the camera has a sapphire lens cover, it is the most scratch resistant part of the phone.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i mean you should be using a case regardless of the bump, because it's a thousand-dollar object that you're going to treat like poo poo and maybe it should last you a few years. making the rest of the phone thinner means that the phone + a case is thinner, and the size of the bump doesn't really matter unless it's thicker than a case, which it isn't

ofc i personally treat my phone like poo poo and don't use a case because idgaf

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

every detail of the Apple campus is immaculately designed etc

Linguica fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 14, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"we designed it so our super-genius engineers never need to think about how their feet are positioned"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the iyg iphone thread got good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=476362459#post476362459

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
agreed, endless mike

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Linguica posted:

every detail of the Apple campus is immaculately designed etc

walk like a penguin so you dont put your center of gravity too far in front of your planted foot

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

i realize this is nit picking the wrong target, but im p sure the vast majority of realdoll-fuckers are grown-ups. teens just don't have that kind of disposable income, for one, and it would be pretty awkward if ur mom found it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a lot of TVs don't even have the full amount of pixels you might assume they have. my parents' first plasma tv claimed to be 1080 but in tiny print in the manual it gave a much lower X by Y number of pixels

I have an extremely shameful 1366x768 LCD TV from Costco i got like a decade ago, so it's finally time to plunk down like $1k for whatever HDR set vizio is offering + an Apple TV, because I'll be hosed if I'll be subjected to watching any video using any playback functionality actually built into a TV

funny how after all these years, those who make the displays we watch our video on are the least qualified to actually drive them

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zen death robot posted:

the one his avatar links too has some funny poo poo too

his poor girlfriend. she is 90% replaceable by a fuckdoll in his mind. the other 10% is doing the cooking.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Progressive JPEG posted:

people would buy cases anyway because theyre animals.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Cases are good because they make me briefly forget that Jony Ive is a talentless hack

I only use their hardware because of the software anyway

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You'd think so, but uh...

(from the iPhone thread and Awful app GitHub, right now)

lmao

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

they said it could fast charge

I think that's only through the lightning Port. The included charger and cable can't fast charge. You need a USB c to lightning cable and a USB c charger. Apple sells 3 models of them up to about $80

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/ZevEisenberg/status/908148886363103232

https://twitter.com/piotrdenis/status/907996855639953410

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

poty posted:

people would buy cases anyway because theyre animals.

i buy cases to make my phone cute. i don't understand why personalization bamboozles guy nerds so hard.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if you buy a case youre spitting in the face of jony ive who made the iphone in our steves image

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

so now apparently on iphone x there are THREE separate "swipe down" gestures from the home screen

* swipe down from top center for notification tray
* swipe down from top right for control center
* swipe down from middle for search bar

between this and the multiple "swipe up" gestures the iphone x now requires due to a lack of home button, is it possible that iphone is now more android than android 🤔

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

also lol that they moved to a non-mechanical "home button" on the iphone 7 to groom users for a totally taptic-driven fake "home button" on the iphone X but since the touchid won't work through the screen it turned out to be a pointless change

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's ironic that the iphonx requires a bunch of gestures to operate since it's a big gesture in and of itself: a middle finger to the consumer and steve's memory

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

oh and remember how they implemented Reachability by double-caressing the home button so you could actually reach things one handed... so that appears to be gone on the iphone X despite having an even taller screen than the iphone plus series... I guess people just don't need to reach things one handed anymore 🤔

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Linguica posted:

oh and remember how they implemented Reachability by double-caressing the home button so you could actually reach things one handed... so that appears to be gone on the iphone X despite having an even taller screen than the iphone plus series... I guess people just don't need to reach things one handed anymore 🤔

nah, these days your thumb goes from here to way the gently caress over here

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

looks like the hair force one face id fiasco happened because iphone autoauthenticated bunch of faces who handled it and failed to do so, locking down to passcode

intern is alive i guess

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Linguica posted:

Chinese people love that feature

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i just now wondered how you activate siri since you can't hold down the home button. turns out you now hold down the power button

then I wondered how you turn off the phone if it's no longer by holding down the power button. and welp you have to go into the loving settings menu

this explains why they now call it the "side button" not the "power button". anroid lol!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's not called the shut down button

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Courage

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

as long as they've remembered to put in a button combo that resets a crashed phone it's no big deal

I'm not expecting much though

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
iphone xi is a glass sphere that is all display

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

iphone xvi will be five of those connected with a string

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wheany posted:

didnt microsoft already do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Linguica posted:

i just now wondered how you activate siri since you can't hold down the home button. turns out you now hold down the power button

then I wondered how you turn off the phone if it's no longer by holding down the power button. and welp you have to go into the loving settings menu

this explains why they now call it the "side button" not the "power button". anroid lol!

wait what if the phone freezes and you need to force a shut down what do you press then?

• Locked thread