Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

:stonklol:

quote:

My younger sister is 23 years old. Like Sansa, she grew up believing herself to (figuratively) be a little princess. The show scene where Sansa berates Shea for not knowing what a handmaiden is supposed to do evokes my sister like nothing else. The scene now set, understand that my sister still employs baby-talk and refers to her stomach as her tummy when feeling ill and in the presence of my mother. That is what little princesses of all kinds do. That someone half my sister's age who finds herself being raised for a time as an actual princess does it is the most believable thing on the planet to me.

ok this rules

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I will never understand where this goon line that books 4&5 are garbage came from, they're great books just like the first three :shrug:

The show is where the massive drop off after 3 happens

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 13, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That gunslinger movie is better than GoT.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I will never understand where this goon line that books 4&5 are garbage came from, they're great books just like the first three :shrug:

you probably don't read much.

precision posted:

there is not a big enough goonsay

this dude has never eaten pussy in his life.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I actually really liked the fourth on a second readthrough, but it's not at all what the reader's looking for after finishing Storm of Swords. There's not much movement for the main plot, many of the main characters are outright missing, and there's a ton of what feel like wasted pages while Brienne is wandering around looking for Sansa with precisely zero chance of finding her. I made an effortpost a while back comparing it to Wizard and Glass, if you've read the Dark Tower books -- it's actually a decent read in and of itself and gives a lot of really interesting worldbuilding, but at the time you first read it you're just thinking "I don't care about this poo poo, get me back to Jon Snow and Tyrion."

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

The fifth book cut out its climax. Imagine reading the second book but blackwater was just summarized in a questionably accurate letter. This is a common problem as both the books have very little narrative movement and don't resolve what they are setting up within the book itself. Tyrion spends an entire book traveling and doesn't even reach mereen. So much is set up like fake aegon, the maestor dragon killing plot and nothing comes from any of it. Because of that, the chapters tend to end in dumb fakeouts that no one believed, arya going blind, Jon dying etc. it's like if the second book didn't resolve brans fake death within the same book. The "world building" they do is fine but they should be part of a text that has more of a narrative. Do we really need like 11 chapters of brienne witnessing the costs of war with nothing else of consequence happening?

All that needs to be said about the books is book 3 was successfully adapted into two separate seasons and both books 4 and 5 were adapted into just one season. And that seasons problems weren't that it cut fake aegon or Quentyn Martell.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 13, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they did cut out the north remembers and season 5 suffered for it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

I thought ADWD was poo poo when I read it years ago (after two attempts) long before I was bothering to know what goons thought about the books. I can't remember what I thought about Feast, which means at best it sits at "entirely forgettable" for me.

Calling them great is a loving stretch. Five was hooooot garbaaaaage.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Five was fun and a big improvement from four, but also utterly ridiculous in any context that isn't 'released shortly before the next book.'

It's a loving book about time passing.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I would still call the books good overall (although it's close) but the post I replied to stated they were the same quality as the earlier ones which I think is absolutely crazy. So much fluff could be edited down and then maybe they could've actually fit in some of the climaxes and moments that were being built up instead of just punting it to the next one.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Groovelord Neato posted:

you probably don't read much.

I don't read much fantasy, you're right there. Long metro rides to work have me chewing through a book a week though, rear end in a top hat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I've read all of the sword of truth and book 4 and 5 of asoiaf are worse than that complete and utter poo poo series, even if only for the fact that the author had the decency to finish it (in the stupidest possible way imaginable).

Someone saying 5 was good, please, tell me one good thing about it, aside from all the dany making GBS threads water jokes it gave us?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Theon's storyline in ADWD is the best narrative arc in the entire series.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

IRQ posted:

I've read all of the sword of truth and book 4 and 5 of asoiaf are worse than that complete and utter poo poo series, even if only for the fact that the author had the decency to finish it (in the stupidest possible way imaginable).

Someone saying 5 was good, please, tell me one good thing about it, aside from all the dany making GBS threads water jokes it gave us?

Man sword of truth was really bad. I stopped after finishing the book where he built the statue that was so amazing it made everyone renounce communism or something like that. How did it end?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In It For The Tank posted:

Theon's storyline in ADWD is the best narrative arc in the entire series.

Yeah I really want to know who the hooded figure who 1) recognizes theon on sight 2) is surprised theon is alive, therefore he 3) wasn't in the castle the previous day when ramsay said to everyone hey look it's theon and logically must have 4)gotten into the castle when it's explicitly on lockdown 5)walks directly into the dining hall where the boltons are 6)didn't stab theon only because if ramsay is torturing him that's preferable.

That's an intriguing goddamn mystery. I can't square that circle. The blackfish might want to kill theon and might know a secret way into winterfell but why would westeros's most wanted brazenly walk into the bolton dining hall? On my second reread I noticed the contradictions and saw how far out of his way GRRM went to not describe this hooded man in any way. Not old not short not tall not fat not thin not gruff not bearded not anything. Nothing. No adjectives besides hooded are used.

Some people think it's just theon's subconscious torturing him but that's bullshit. Someone said it's jason mallister and i don 't know a goddamn thing about that seagarde nerd. It's very obviously *somebody* but hosed if I have seen anyone make a compelling who-done-it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Why would even move the climax to another book if GRRM shits out words anyway? I never bought the logic

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Harton posted:

Man sword of truth was really bad. I stopped after finishing the book where he built the statue that was so amazing it made everyone renounce communism or something like that. How did it end?

Protagonist built an army to fight communism and some magic thing made everyone forget his girlfriend, also communism wanted to kill magic forever. Protagonist got captured by evil communist guy and for some reason the evil guy's army really liked having slave soccer and Protagonist was so amazing and good at everything that he was the best slave soccer player of them all and then they had a soccer riot and he won because everyone loved him and magic and something something and all the non magic people went to our earth because the not magic people would breed magic out of existence or something.

You bailed where I originally did but someone got me the last few books as a gift and I had a lot of free time back then.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I read all the books for the first and only time right after season 1 ended in summer 2011, so by now I don't even remember a lot of these minor characters like Quentyn Martell who don't appear in the show.

I tried to listen to the audiobooks for a second run but something about the narrator's voice bugged me.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 13, 2017

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

IRQ posted:

Protagonist built an army to fight communism and some magic thing made everyone forget his girlfriend, also communism wanted to kill magic forever. Protagonist got captured by evil communist guy and for some reason the evil guy's army really liked having slave soccer and Protagonist was so amazing and good at everything that he was the best slave soccer player of them all and then they had a soccer riot and he won because everyone loved him and magic and something something and all the non magic people went to our earth because the not magic people would breed magic out of existence or something.

You bailed where I originally did but someone got me the last few books as a gift and I had a lot of free time back then.

Lol sounds about right that he was the best soccer player ever, dude was the biggest Mary Sue ever. I was pretty young when I went through them and didn't fully grasp that I was basically reading about his dominatrix kinks until I got older.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't read much fantasy, you're right there. Long metro rides to work have me chewing through a book a week though, rear end in a top hat.

i don't read much fantasy. they bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Harton posted:

Lol sounds about right that he was the best soccer player ever, dude was the biggest Mary Sue ever. I was pretty young when I went through them and didn't fully grasp that I was basically reading about his dominatrix kinks until I got older.

Ah yes the pain dildo wielding ptsd sex ninjas that wear all leather for reasons.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I got up to the book where white guilt caused a nation to collapse in on itself and turn the white people into a subservient slave race lol.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's a fun Let's Read of the Sword of Truth books somewhere on the forums.

IRQ posted:

I liked a lot of the worldbuilding and setup for various mysteries. Stuff like the Pink Letter is pretty fun to think about. That's not enough to sustain the entire book but there were plenty of intriguing chapters or plotlines.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Arya was good in book 5 also iirc

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
AFFC & ADWD have many good chapters, it's just that two out of three main plots in ADWD generally suck (Dany and Tyrion) and that the book kind of trails off when it should climax.

AFFC & ADWD being 2/3 of a single unfinished book is what makes them frustrating, the other grievances are generally minor and subjective, but really, it's a big deal, the books break from the successful formula of the first three (frantic page-turning endings mostly) and it was a really stupid choice from the GRRM.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't normally like fantasy and sci-fi but I appreciate the discussion of authors ITT that people think ARE good during their discussion of why they hate GRRM's prose.
Like I just started The Iron Dragons Daughter and this poo poo is pretty good. would appreciate other tips. I guess there's prolly a thread for that in the book barn tho.

also his TV review episodes are fuckin intolerable cuz he's an idiot autist with a Chad Complex and bitch voice, but I gotta say Preston Jacobs is a genuinely excellent sleep aid. especially with insomnia and not wanting to rely on weed. I just gotta put on one of his multi-part raving lunatic series about, I don't know, the sort of intricate gibberish that only someone with mental problems would confuse as "complex plotting" and I'm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snooooooooooze

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 14, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Preston's latest video where he argues that GRRM's world is fully modeled around real-world geological occurances and poo poo is both insane and really clever.

Part of me wishes that GRRM was half the genius preston thinks he is.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think Preston's theories would make GRRM either artful or genius though. As bad as GRRM's prose is, it's still always better than the convoluted noise Preston confuses for "good plotting". It's like the weirdos on TVTropes who think a good plot is a series of cliches added together like a math equation. It's all very beep boop, like the fact that something is complex+convoluted+foreshadowed implicitly means it's excellent plotting. I always feel embarassed for the fans in his youtube videos who are like OMG I WISH GRRM USED YOUR IDEAS. There's more art to GRRM describing food for eight pages than whatever crackpot theories Preston's brewed up.
They're entertaining conspiracy theories to fall asleep to but they're not exactly what I'd call the makings of good or even entertaining literature.

agreed, some of it is clever, but I'm just as often baffled by Preston missing or trying to nitpick some obvious thing that a normal human being would grasp and narrowing in on it as a flaw or evidence of some complex secret theory vvvvvv

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 14, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Preston's poo poo is sometimes dumb and unnecessary I agree (Sweetrobin sits on a weirwood stump ergo he's a powerful greenseer... whatever) but some of it is clever, like the Littlefinger debt scheme.

It's a mixed bag.

The breaking of the arm of Dorne being all about the ending of a natural ice age rather than some mighty magic is a cool thought though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Leaks will be Fleaks

quote:

HBO isn’t leaving anything to chance when it comes to spoiler potential for its climactic Game of Thrones finale: The network will be shooting multiple endings for Season 8, the show’s next and final season (via Mashable).

The idea is simple – if no one, including the cast and crew, know which ending is the ‘real’ one, then it should make it very difficult to spoil. Game of Thrones ran into quite a few problems last season with leaks, too, so that’s a good way to sidestep that problem as well.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/14/g..._share=facebook

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lol the real reason they're doing this is that they're going to focus test the poo poo out of the ending

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

WrightOfWay posted:

Lol the real reason they're doing this is that they're going to focus test the poo poo out of the ending

Leaks confirmed real and people already saying how trash the wildfire ending would be haha!

Although if this is true, it will be great to get that seasons BluRay - the extra features will be mint.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

IF this is true I'm sure they will use the worst possible ending ala HIMYM.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I don't get how that will stop leaks. People will just post all the endings and folks will pick the worst one and be right.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The ending variations will just be different characters saying "I'm tired of this game of thrones".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

These Throne Games have become....bone lames.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

In It For The Tank posted:

The ending variations will just be different characters saying "I'm tired of this game of thrones".

"Truly, theirs was a song of ice and fire"
"wtf?"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Maybe even d&d and the hbo execs dont know which is the real ending. When we get to the last episode they draw from a hat to decide which one to air

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di8Z7rJ9vnI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They wheel the barely functioning husk of Tim Curry out to go through them all, one after another, CLUE style.

• Locked thread