Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Strikes a note in my head but the best I can think of is imagining its an animation leading into the Lucasarts logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
The closest thing I can come up with is Adeline Software but it's more of a french cat creature than a picasso painting

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
With how wrong all our memories get over time, it could be this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It's familiar to me, but I don't know what it belongs to.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

quite stretched out posted:

bit of a tangential one, but this one is more about a logo. someone i know reckons that this face is the logo from an old games developer or publisher, but cant at all recall it. it's really bugging me too now so i figured i'd post it in here, it might not even be but it definitely looks super familiar

e: it might not look exaaaaactly like that

Edit; but I recognize your drawing as a different game logo, too. I wanna say PC developer in the late 90s? I'll try to find out too.

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 14, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
It makes me think of 90s CD-ROM full motion video games. Looks like something Apple might do, but also maybe Dreamworks Interactive or any of those games like the 7th guest... hmmm

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
It feels really familar to me too, but maybe this is another "That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything."

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's Nintendo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Top down 2d space game. Its been in development for a while (maybe 5 years?) and went through at least one name change. Kind of like Escape Velocity or Space Pirates and Zombies, both in style and aesthetics, where you build a small fleet and do procgen missions. I vaguely remember it had inertia based physics and an intricate (for the style of game) shield system. I bought it way back when before the days of Early Access and remember I paid $20 for something I want to check was finished or not. Might have even been Goon developed because that's how I heard of it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

al-azad posted:

Top down 2d space game. Its been in development for a while (maybe 5 years?) and went through at least one name change. Kind of like Escape Velocity or Space Pirates and Zombies, both in style and aesthetics, where you build a small fleet and do procgen missions. I vaguely remember it had inertia based physics and an intricate (for the style of game) shield system. I bought it way back when before the days of Early Access and remember I paid $20 for something I want to check was finished or not. Might have even been Goon developed because that's how I heard of it.

Starsector (nee Starfarer) sounds like what you're thinking of.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

Starsector (nee Starfarer) sounds like what you're thinking of.

That would be it. Can't believe it's still in development. Now to remember which email I purchased this from.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

al-azad posted:

That would be it. Can't believe it's still in development. Now to remember which email I purchased this from.

Every patch has introduced humongous improvements. He started by making this awesome combat engine, everything else has fleshed out the metagame so far. And it's still in beta, yeah.

If it ever hits Steam, it's gonna bloody explode.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

I've been googleing for this game, and apparently I'm not the only one because I'm pretty sure I found at least 2 people looking for the same one and not getting an answer:

The only other thing I remember is that there was a humanoid mushroom enemy that I particularly feared, and some lava dragon things at some point, and I'm pretty sure it was in that sort of dodgy early 3D, so the character's head was a perfect flesh diffuse coloured sphere.

EDIT: And it isn't Mystic Towers, as someone suggested to one of the quotes.

Returning after a while to say I think I've found this game. It's called Spooky Castle: The Adventures Of Kid Mystic or maybe just Kid Mystic, although it looks slightly different to how I remember. Apparently it was remade in 2004 so maybe I played that version?

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 20, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I played some sort of game back around 1995~1996 on a Sega Saturn(?) in Epcot. It had a screen with four options to play either of two characters in or out of armor, one pink and one blue. Gameplay was 2D and primarily aerial, if I remember correctly, and involved going through rings of stars or something.

Anyone remember this?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 21, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i cant believe we haven't figured out the winking logo because now I remember it also fuuuck

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I played some sort of game back around 1995~1996 on a Sega Saturn(?) in Epcot. It had a screen with four options to play either of two characters in or out of armor, one pink and one blue. Gameplay was 2D and primarily aerial, if I remember correctly, and involved going through rings of stars or something.

Anyone remember this?

Probably NiGHTS into Dreams. Sega had their own hall between 94-97 in Innoventions.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i cant believe we haven't figured out the winking logo because now I remember it also fuuuck

I want to say I remember it too but it might be the Mandela Effect as everyone else is proclaiming to remember.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That logo seems familiar to me too, although that may be because it recalls both the old Mac logo and the Lucasarts logo. Maybe they were combined in the submitter's memory? Or maybe it's not a developer/publisher logo, but a graphic from a game, another type of program, or even another type of media? It also kinda reminds me of the rest icon in some of the Baldur's Gate engine games.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I want to say it's either from some French game developer/publisher, an edutainment company or an out of business mouse/joystick/zip drive/etc... company.

I also remember it but if it's fake, it's loving perfect.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

al-azad posted:

Probably NiGHTS into Dreams. Sega had their own hall between 94-97 in Innoventions.

:wtc: That was NiGHTS? Goddamn, my memory really is spotty as gently caress. I wonder where I got the four-option screen from...gently caress it, not worth agonizing over.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

The Joe Man posted:

I want to say it's either from some French game developer/publisher, an edutainment company or an out of business mouse/joystick/zip drive/etc... company.

I also remember it but if it's fake, it's loving perfect.

I want to say even that it's animated all scribley, and also the eye winks during the animation

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It could also be a bastardization of Living Books. They frequently published on Mac.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I want to say even that it's animated all scribley, and also the eye winks during the animation

The Living Books logo winks at you.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The Logitech logo is kinda getting close:

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Logitech

Also apparently there's a wiki for logos, so that might help.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011
Going deeper into this psychosis, publishers and developers would often do unique logos. Think Lucasarts Star Wars or Shiny where even a name would come with a one-off animation for a specific game.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I swear I've seen this before, groupthink or not. My guess was also French developer, and I'm thinking mid/late nineties - I reckon if I had old issues of PC Format to hand from 1995 there'd be an advert there will this logo on.

I started browsing through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_video_game_companies

but picking some of the names I remembered didn't get me anywhere. It is a long list, someone with more time/patience may have more luck.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Like everyone else I'm certain I can remember a B&W winking face developer, but I saw this and it's pretty close to your original image. No defunct Zombie Studios:

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Reminds me of the Packard Bell logo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That logo looks like it's from some software company rather than a games company.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Major Ryan posted:

I swear I've seen this before, groupthink or not. My guess was also French developer, and I'm thinking mid/late nineties - I reckon if I had old issues of PC Format to hand from 1995 there'd be an advert there will this logo on.

I started browsing through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_video_game_companies

but picking some of the names I remembered didn't get me anywhere. It is a long list, someone with more time/patience may have more luck.

The French vibe seems legit. Mid 90s PC. For some reason I'm imagining there was later a blocky 3d version of the logo at the start of like a PSX game, too.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
It couldn't possibly be the EA Kids logo, could it? The faces on it look kinda similar.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
"I played this game sometime between the years 1999-2002. However the game itself may be older.

Online multiplayer fantasy game. May have been closer to a "MUD" than a proper "MMORPG". Possibly browser-based. May have been a java or flash/shockwave game.

Required account to log in. I think there was a wolf on the website log-in page.

May have had "shadow", "dark" or "realm" in the title.

Ugly graphics. 2D or 2.5D. May have been isometric. If you google "The 4th Coming" I recall it looking similar to that game, but uglier. I remember nothing about the UI.

I do not recall anything about character customization. In my memory, all players looked the same (but I cannot remember how, exactly).

I also do not remember anything about the combat. But I think it was more "action" than "RPG".

Game was divided into stages.

The first stage had you descending into a graveyard/crypt, fighting skeletons as you go. At the bottom floor is a large room with a dragon which required multiple people to kill it. If you died, you would respawn nearby.

The second stage was much more open, a forest with unicorns and/or giants in it. I never beat this stage. I remember walking around the perimeter trying to find an exit. Certain exits may have been closed off. Maybe I needed to purchase the full game to exit?

GAMES WHICH IT IS NOT:

-Runescape

-Tibia

-The 4th Coming

-The Realm Online

-Darkeden

-Ashen Empires

-Fallen Sword

-Meridian 59

-Furcadia

-Ultima Online

Please note that I played this nearly 20 years ago. I was no older than 10 at the time. Any of these "facts" may be incorrect, as my memory has faded substantially.

I am 99% certain I didn't dream this game up. I am less certain of everything else."

this is for a friend.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Maybe shadowbane, but doesn't exactly sound like it.

Early 2000s MMOs: Everquest, Shadowbane, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno if I asked about this game before, but it's a really old browser game that probably doesn't exist anymore

You made a character with a class like mage, priest, warrior, rogue, what-have-you, and then the game had 2 sides to it. 1 was a solo MUD-like experience where you went through predesigned dungeons, fought monsters and solved puzzles and found treasure. But the main game was the 2nd side, which was a pvp arena, where you could use the stuff you found in the 1st side to fight other people and gain levels and stuff.

I don't exactly remember how battles worked, but I do remember spells/skills used a xdy system for damage, like in some pnp RPGs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
PC or maybe mac adventure game I played briefly in a web cafe as a child. Vaguely Indiana Jones like, starting in a Egyptian tomb with a guide book and a explorer's skeleton with a diary.

The last entry is something like " the hieroglyphs translate to [some Egyptian god]. So now all I have to do is..."

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Chairchucker posted:

Not Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra?

I don't...think so. I've been over videos of a playthrough to check, and nothing matches. I believe the protagonist was male, and literally dressed as Jones. I'm actually not 100% that it isn't a Jones game, except the art style was, iirc, a bit squashy and cartoonish. It may have been a kids' or edutainment game, but, well, there were skeletons in the first screen, so idk.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 28, 2017

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Could it be Flight of the Amazon Queen? Kind of a shot in the dark I'll be honest.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
I've never heard of it before now, but could it be Secrets of the Pyramids? There's a skeleton with a heiroglyph book at the start.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I dunno if I asked about this game before, but it's a really old browser game that probably doesn't exist anymore

You made a character with a class like mage, priest, warrior, rogue, what-have-you, and then the game had 2 sides to it. 1 was a solo MUD-like experience where you went through predesigned dungeons, fought monsters and solved puzzles and found treasure. But the main game was the 2nd side, which was a pvp arena, where you could use the stuff you found in the 1st side to fight other people and gain levels and stuff.

I don't exactly remember how battles worked, but I do remember spells/skills used a xdy system for damage, like in some pnp RPGs.

This sounds a lot like Vagabond's Quest.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

hamsystem posted:

This sounds a lot like Vagabond's Quest.

Oh drat, I'm pretty sure this is it! Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh drat, I'm pretty sure this is it! Thank you so much!

No problem. I was obsessed with VQ back in like '97-98 or thereabouts when our school got new computers with internet access. Originally it didn't even have the MUD portion of the game, just the PvP arena which was basically a glorified chat room. I was so into it I almost didn't graduate because I'd cut class to go the the local college library and play. For awhile I was the highest rated Tracer (which I think was supposed to be Tracker) in the game but I eventually moved on to something else. I did come back briefly when the PvE part was added but most of the people I knew pretty well had quit too and that was most of the appeal for me. I haven't even really thought about it since then but your post set off a flood of memories.