Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
How does everyone feel about Divinity and Divinity II (haven't bought 3 yet)? I liked it for being a high concept sci-fi story and was an interesting character examination (vol 1) and an interesting "god vs god" story (vol 2). But, I can easily see this series being a dud with the general comic audience. That isn't me trying to sound pretentious, by the way. I'm not saying or trying to imply I'm better for liking it. I'm just saying it's way outside the traditional superhero/supervillain story and reads more like an experimental 70s scifi novel. If Unity didn't show up and it was just a strike team, it would be easy to forget the universe it was in was a superhero one.

Anyway, how did everyone else feel? I heard Divinity III is an Age-of-Apocalypse style story so I'm definitly picking it up, but are the tie-in Alt-U books worth picking up too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Digital is cool and good but Valiant's OSHC are the best.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Digital is cool and good but Valiant's OSHC are the best.

OSHC?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

How does everyone feel about Divinity and Divinity II (haven't bought 3 yet)? I liked it for being a high concept sci-fi story and was an interesting character examination (vol 1) and an interesting "god vs god" story (vol 2). But, I can easily see this series being a dud with the general comic audience. That isn't me trying to sound pretentious, by the way. I'm not saying or trying to imply I'm better for liking it. I'm just saying it's way outside the traditional superhero/supervillain story and reads more like an experimental 70s scifi novel. If Unity didn't show up and it was just a strike team, it would be easy to forget the universe it was in was a superhero one.

Anyway, how did everyone else feel? I heard Divinity III is an Age-of-Apocalypse style story so I'm definitly picking it up, but are the tie-in Alt-U books worth picking up too?

Personally I think Divinity, both in concept and in execution, is the high watermark of Valiant. There are other stories I enjoy more (The Armor Hunters event is my favorite thing in the Valiant line period) but Divinity is no doubt the best thing they've produced. The first mini especially is just written in such a cool way that it's hard for anything to top it.

Also to save further question: Everything is worth picking up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

Also to save further question: Everything is worth picking up.

Unless it's written by Alex Kot

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Over-Sized HardCover.

edit: THESE

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 14, 2017

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

Over-Sized HardCover.

edit: THESE

I'm super jealous of that Rai HC. It's so expensive now! :arghfist::(

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I've been following the reading order. I'm up to the Harbinger wars and, I got to say, I feel so weird liking all this. I'm normally not a "grim-and-gritty-dark-bad-people-shooty-shooty-blood-blood" guy, but this stuff is just so engaging. The characters work really well, the story has a great arc, the art is consistent (I have NEVER seen any photoshop filitered poser art, like with Marvel or DC), and, even the stuff I would normally dislike is handled maturely. It's grim, but handled so well and by writers who feel like they want to handle this stuff maturely and not just shock people or feed our base desires. That's so rare in comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Khari Evans drew the early Harbinger stuff. He's the worst photoshop-filter-on-pictures offender I'm aware of. Also his faces suck.

I fact I did a post in the art thread about how much I hate Khari Evans work, if you can stand some mild out of context spoilers that probably wouldn't make sense to you for a while yet.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

zoux posted:

I thought Khari Evans drew the early Harbinger stuff. He's the worst photoshop-filter-on-pictures offender I'm aware of. Also his faces suck.

I fact I did a post in the art thread about how much I hate Khari Evans work, if you can stand some mild out of context spoilers that probably wouldn't make sense to you for a while yet.

Sure, sometimes they do it on the backgrounds, but I've never seen this:

Maybe I'm wrong in my assumption about pictures like that are made, but it looks to me like they put filters on top of 3-D models made in poser.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not sure that Deodato uses actual poser models but yeah I definitely get that vibe from his new stuff. He used to own.

Anyway, art is a subjective thing ultimately, if you enjoy the art, I'm glad for you because it sucks to read a great book with art you don't like. There's plenty of artists I like that other people don't.

As far as really good artists (or that I enjoy anyway) that have done Valiant I'd say Cary Nord (XO), Paolo Rivera (The Valiant), Juan Jose Ryp (WotEW, Britannia) and Raul Allen (WotEW) have done some of my favorite work for the company. I generally like Crayton Crain but I didn't like his stuff in Rai for whatever reason. Most of the rest range from meh to fine but Evans is the only one who detracts from my enjoyment of the books.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I just read Eternal Warrior Vol 1 and...I'm confused. Does it ever get explained how Gilad goes back to being a devote warrior of the Earth? I mean, this doesn't jell at all with his depiction in Archer and Armstrong. Worse, I'm just confused how he killed the Earth Goddess when she shows up in Archer and Armstrong, which takes placer after the fact. Like, every book felt like I was learning more and more on this big shared world...before this one completely threw me for a loop.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

I just read Eternal Warrior Vol 1 and...I'm confused. Does it ever get explained how Gilad goes back to being a devote warrior of the Earth? I mean, this doesn't jell at all with his depiction in Archer and Armstrong. Worse, I'm just confused how he killed the Earth Goddess when she shows up in Archer and Armstrong, which takes placer after the fact. Like, every book felt like I was learning more and more on this big shared world...before this one completely threw me for a loop.

Gilad's service to Earth is a strained relationship at times. More and more it becomes apparent that he serves the Geomancer moreso than the Earth itself as he often tires of his service to Earth. You'll also eventually see how his neverending service is temporarily rewarded with brief times of peace in the afterlife before he's yanked back but that's later on down the line. Definitely continue on to the next volume that's set 2000 years later. Eternal Emperor is one of my favorite arcs in all of the Valiant books.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior has all of my favorite Gilad.
Kano's work on Quantum & Woody (The Delinquents, the upcoming Kibblesmith stuff) is a comics miracle.
The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage is one of the best self-contained "superhero" stories I've read (Vol.1 more than 2), and it paired with Divinity to extreme satisfaction as my jumping-on points for Valiant.
Everything that was said about Harbinger Wars reminds me how competently Valiant handles events. The worst thing I can ever say is that they tend to keep their stories compact, but compared to Big Two bloat, I'm not complaining.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The biggest issue I have with Valiant as a company is that they continue to employ Doug Braithwaite.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

The biggest issue I have with Valiant as a company is that they continue to employ Doug Braithwaite.

Who?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So Lemire's Bloodshot is The Valiant -> Reborn -> U.S.A., right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roth posted:

So Lemire's Bloodshot is The Valiant -> Reborn -> U.S.A., right?

Yeah, but the Valiant is a line-wide crossover in case you didn't know.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

zoux posted:

Yeah, but the Valiant is a line-wide crossover in case you didn't know.

Yeah, I read it along with a bunch of other trades I bought (Divinity 1 -3, Ninjak Vol 1, Faith Vol 1, and Bloodshot Reborn Vol 1).

It was pretty fun. Reminds me when I was reading Sinestro Corps War and didn't know most of those characters at all

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
According to the reading guide, I just finished Act One of the current Six Acts. It was a wild ride. The low point, for me, was Eternal Warrior Vol 1, but Vol 2 is apparently good so I guess that's something to look forward to.

These comics have been pretty drat good throughout. There were weird bits, especially due to the fact they're from 2012. Quantum and Woody Vol 2 is a really weird read in 2017, at least to me. Regardless, I loved how shared the space felt. Since they kept things small (and still do), a lot of things carried over so that reading everything gave a better insight. They'd run into little hints and nods at stories being done in other issues, even if they never crossed-over or knew of each other. It felt like a real shared universe. There are a lot of dimensions to the heroes too and they got a pretty diverse (in regards to storytype) cast: space barbarian adventures, street-level idiot stumbling into big conspiracies, nation (and dimension) traveling conspiracy hunting, adventures done between the reals of life and death, servants of the gods rebelling, and even their own x-men (but, sans the minority metaphor --which was always clunky due to superpowers loving it up -- and replaced with more of a generation metaphor). It's quite a read.

The oddest thing -- and this may change -- is, since they were establishing the universe, it did't feel like any heroes had a "status quo" for a long time. They did eventually, but it always felt like they going story to story with an ever-changing backdrop for a long while.

Looking forward to the following acts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He's drawn a lot of XO. I don't like his art and he's a lovely person.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

His work on the last three issues of X-O was fantastic. Sorry your grudge is weird because he's really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

His work on the last three issues of X-O was fantastic. Sorry your grudge is weird because he's really good.

He was a huge oval office back when he drew JUSTICE and my grudge will stand based on that. I also really dislike his art.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's a sad day, I put my Ninjak run in it's "to be stored forever" long box.

Otoh now i'm ready for Ninja-K.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Where the heck is volume 2 of the Ninjak OSHC? I've been catching up on Valiant through those and as far as I know that's the last one still to be printed.

Also, I agree with Rhyno that the Valiant OSHCs are generally great. The early Bloodshot, Harbinger (with Harbinger Wars), and X-O (with Armor Hunters) stuff was so great, plus Rai+4001 AD.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't know if it is still there, but if you want to read bloodshot salvation before next Wednesday, check out Comixology. They accidentally posted it a week early, but they might have taken it down by now. In any case, I've read it and I just want to brag.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rhyno posted:

He was a huge oval office back when he drew JUSTICE and my grudge will stand based on that. I also really dislike his art.

Can you be more specific? I can't find much on Braithwaite personally other than a few interviews he's done and those are him promoting his latest projects more than anything else.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Zoro posted:

According to the reading guide, I just finished Act One of the current Six Acts. It was a wild ride. The low point, for me, was Eternal Warrior Vol 1, but Vol 2 is apparently good so I guess that's something to look forward to.

I'm doing the same thing you are, only due to personal stuff, I've slowed down a bit and I'm currently in the middle of Act Four (reading Ivar, Timewalker Vol 3, which is great). My advice in regards to that reading guide is to read the penultimate volumes of Archer and Armstrong and Quantum and Woody, then do the Delinquents, then read their final volumes.

Also, I find Quantum and Woody is more interesting once you realize the overall theme is "identity." Stuff like Woody not being able to accept that he's part of the family because he's adopted, the bit about Quantum being a black conservative, the reaction when Quantum realizes the muscular goon he beat up is a genetically-altered woman, Sixty-Nine trying to find her own way, the whole thing about Quantum insisting on dressing with a full-body costume to protect his identity when it's really easy to figure out, and a few things you'll get to later. ESPECIALLY once you find out what's up with the goat.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Gavok posted:

I'm doing the same thing you are, only due to personal stuff, I've slowed down a bit and I'm currently in the middle of Act Four (reading Ivar, Timewalker Vol 3, which is great). My advice in regards to that reading guide is to read the penultimate volumes of Archer and Armstrong and Quantum and Woody, then do the Delinquents, then read their final volumes.

Also, I find Quantum and Woody is more interesting once you realize the overall theme is "identity." Stuff like Woody not being able to accept that he's part of the family because he's adopted, the bit about Quantum being a black conservative, the reaction when Quantum realizes the muscular goon he beat up is a genetically-altered woman, Sixty-Nine trying to find her own way, the whole thing about Quantum insisting on dressing with a full-body costume to protect his identity when it's really easy to figure out, and a few things you'll get to later. ESPECIALLY once you find out what's up with the goat.

"Ok...LET'S NOT KILL HITLER!!' is still the first thing that pops into my head when I think about that Ivar series. What a great comic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Martinpale posted:

"Ok...LET'S NOT KILL HITLER!!' is still the first thing that pops into my head when I think about that Ivar series. What a great comic.

I love the first issue of Faith and the Future Force when Neela comes back to recruit her.

Neela: Have you heard of Adolph Hitler?
Faith: No, should I have?
Neela: Unfortunately, yes.

I have no idea if that's a reference to that, but I have to think it is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is beautiful

http://www.cbr.com/valiant-quantim-...campaign=buffer

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It's not true unless it's polybagged and comes with a trading card :colbert:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A store has to preorder 250 regular copies and gets 1 of those special ones?
:captainpop:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

got any sevens posted:

Yeah, we tapped out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I don't have any ComicsPRO stores around. How the hell do I get my mitts on this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Fish posted:

I don't have any ComicsPRO stores around. How the hell do I get my mitts on this?

I don't know what the limit is on those, I will get back to you.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

got any sevens posted:

That ratio seems like they're purposely aiming for this to become an eBay Special... :thunk:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I decided to re-sub to Comixology Unlimited since it seems like they've really expanded what they have available.

What among Classic Valiant is a must read? I plan to read X-O Manowar and Quantum & Woody already.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Fish posted:

Diamond has advised it will most likely be massively allocated as it has already been printed. Be prepared to pay out the rear end for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Harrumph! My OSHC Valiant shelf won't like this... especially with winter on its way...