Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
As I suspected, the co-op hard challenges can be pretty tough, some tougher than the ultimate challenges in my opinion. Only have one left to do, the 4th hard mode of Spooky Trails. Anyone done it by any chance? Curious to know what strategy was used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I've had to drive myself off the Luigi/Rabbid Mario combo, it's so good and versatile but I've hardly touched Peach and I don't think I've played with Rabbid Peach since World 1

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My go-to squad is Mario plus (pick two of) Rabbid Luigi, Rabbid Mario, Luigi.

Depends on the map and enemy composition.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I ended up using rabbid peach for the final fight just to have a heal or two available.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sorry if this has been asked, but what's the multiplayer like? Is it true local split-screen multiplayer like Mario Kart or is it just a lie like in Splatoon 2?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Sorry if this has been asked, but what's the multiplayer like? Is it true local split-screen multiplayer like Mario Kart or is it just a lie like in Splatoon 2?

Local same-screen co-op challenges. Each player picks two heroes, and during gameplay the players can freely hand off control to one another. Co-op challenges are separate from other modes and you have to make progress in the single player campaign to unlock them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh man. That sounds fantastic. I'm going to be getting a copy on Sunday so I'm looking forward to that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DalaranJ posted:

How dare you! He's a national treasure.

yeah so is Flame Hyenard

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've actually started getting some use out of Rabbid Yoshi in the fourth world. Also the difficulty is ramping up like whoa. Some of these maps are really tough even with all the upgrades

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Uh wow what? Having to restart at the first fight when you restart on the Bowser Jr fight is like weirdly unnecessarily harsh. Probably the only time in this game I thought "Wow that's bullshit"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macaluso posted:

Uh wow what? Having to restart at the first fight when you restart on the Bowser Jr fight is like weirdly unnecessarily harsh. Probably the only time in this game I thought "Wow that's bullshit"

wait till you get later in the world

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Macaluso posted:

Yeah. The Bowser jr. Fight has an absurdly tight time limit too, 3 turns.

It took me like 5 times to beat it without someone dying and I took 4 turns :shepicide:. Only stage in the game I didn't perfect because gently caress replaying both levels again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“spit on my clit”" post="“476392587”"]
[/quote]

I hosed up on the 4th phase of THAT fight with a misclick that led to a wipe. That was loving fun and annoying. Not being able to swap Mario also sucks

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hosed up on the 4th phase of THAT fight with a misclick that led to a wipe. That was loving fun and annoying. Not being able to swap Mario also sucks

yeah i loving agree!!! peach/rabbid peach / yoshi / rabbid mario would be SO much better, I hate that you cant even switch mario out after the game is over. Open up the realms of possibility, game!

also a big annoyance: oh boy rabbid mario got the stone on the enemies around him that're still alive-oh nevermind the chapter 3 midboss or the sandstorm jerk lit them on fire, un-stoning them and letting them act freely. goodbye rabbid mario.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I had like two mis-clicks last night.

I wish that when you hit A on a move it would turn green and force you to hit A again to confirm.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macaluso posted:

Trigger M-Power with Mario, and Rabbid Mario with all the dash/speed upgrades can clear out all three of the center enemies in one round. Dash the two bucklers, magnet dance to pull the supporter in, hammer the lot into oblivion.

Then set luigi up on overwatch on one side or the other with sight on the buckler. He'll kill whichever one you choose.

Round two: kill the other guy.

Then for Bowser Jr you do the same thing, except it takes longer and you need to use the pipes to surround him so the overwatch shots pull him one direction, then the other, and back. Just never let Bowser Jr end adjacent to Rabbid Mario, even if it means not getting optimal, full-damage shots.

Ignore the valks except for movement attacks. They'll usually die from taking damage through their shield.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If your question is how can I possibly do that much damage in so few turns? The answer is always use M-Power 70%.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The fights themselves aren't bullshit just the having to restart from the first fight. I got 3/3 turns on the Bowser Jr fight but still got my Rabbid killed. I could not beat that fight without one casualty. I gotta figure out which Rabbid works best next time cause Mario and Luigi are basically mandatory. You can get an amazing back and forth overwatch chain with them against Bowser Jr when he starts moving

Yoshi seems cool but it's weird he had that ground pound but the description says he is a long range fighter. He had pretty good health. He has a rocket launcher but still. I love his weapon switching animation

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Macaluso posted:

The fights themselves aren't bullshit just the having to restart from the first fight. I got 3/3 turns on the Bowser Jr fight but still got my Rabbid killed. I could not beat that fight without one casualty. I gotta figure out which Rabbid works best next time cause Mario and Luigi are basically mandatory. You can get an amazing back and forth overwatch chain with them against Bowser Jr when he starts moving

Yoshi seems cool but it's weird he had that ground pound but the description says he is a long range fighter. He had pretty good health. He has a rocket launcher but still. I love his weapon switching animation

I used Mario/R.Yoshi/R.Mario for that fight.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

R. Yoshi' ability to completely block a single hit is the only thing I like about him. It makes he really good for that fight.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah. The Bowser jr. Fight has an absurdly tight time limit too, 3 turns.

It took me like 5 times to beat it without someone dying and I took 4 turns :shepicide:. Only stage in the game I didn't perfect because gently caress replaying both levels again.

you can just come back to it later, with bigger weapons, it's not like perfecting it the first time thru a world is that big a deal to do lol

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

I've had to drive myself off the Luigi/Rabbid Mario combo, it's so good and versatile but I've hardly touched Peach and I don't think I've played with Rabbid Peach since World 1

Peach's overwatch has ruined at least 5 of my hard mode challenges, some enemy takes a weird rear end path through tubes and triggers the overwatch on my team :argh:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Just got Rabbid Yoshi and I'm not entirely sure what his deal is but I'm always down for more forced movement abilities and I finally have access to the good shield Hoppers use. Also his dash looks like a straight-up better version of what Rabbid Peach has going on.

Rumblebangs: how do they work? If I'm firing at someone behind cover does each individual shot have a chance of hitting the target? Is this a good way of destroying cover without explosives? There's no spread, right?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man my game keeps crashing on phase 3 of final fight. Hella annoying

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr Cheeto posted:

Just got Rabbid Yoshi and I'm not entirely sure what his deal is but I'm always down for more forced movement abilities and I finally have access to the good shield Hoppers use. Also his dash looks like a straight-up better version of what Rabbid Peach has going on.

Rumblebangs: how do they work? If I'm firing at someone behind cover does each individual shot have a chance of hitting the target? Is this a good way of destroying cover without explosives? There's no spread, right?

No Rumblebangs work identically to normal guns just with a higher natural damage range and generally lower crit chance. It makes them work like Axes do in a lot of RPGs where they can hit for big numbers or do pathetic damage.

Regular Yoshi has a skill to guarantee crits which makes him an absolute damage monster.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Rabbid Yoshi is good minus his scream move that I don't like much. 4 dash attacks, a long range weapon, and a grenade makes him really balanced.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yoshi Prime's AOE butt stomp and guaranteed crit buff are strong. I am loving the "Explosive Head" so far.

Somewhat tricky to coordinate with Rabbid Mario's own AOE movement attacks, though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yoshi Prime's AOE butt stomp and guaranteed crit buff are strong. I am loving the "Explosive Head" so far.

Somewhat tricky to coordinate with Rabbid Mario's own AOE movement attacks, though.

Seems like AoE overkill mostly, but if I was gonna use them, I'd send have yoshi buff up, get rMario in to lure everyone and hammer, if things are still alive then shield up and have Yoshi ground pound.

Yoshi crit with rMario stone hammer works wonders, or rMario with vamp shotgun

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Finally beat the last hard mode co-op challenge I was stuck on, 100% everything :woop:

I don't know if I'm impressed or annoyed with the difficulty of the 4th hard mode challenge in Spooky Trails co-op. I'll spoiler it just in case, don't want to spoil what I would consider the toughest challenge in the game.

So, the challenge is to beat the coffin midboss. Every other hard mode challenge like this was the easiest, except this one starts with almost 4k life and has 4 of those enemies that heal and they are all within an enclosed space, no pipes leading in or out. Since it's an enclosed space, you'll only ever be able to get 3 characters inside to be able to dash attack things.

My first strat is to try to just burn him down like I did with all the other midbosses. Just 1x of the healing enemies were healing him for 1900hp a turn so burning him down wasn't happening.

Next strat I try is to be an efficient killing machine, killing anything and everything on the board. I switched to Princess/Rluigi/RYoshi/Yoshi so everyone has a secondary AOE weapon that can hopefully take care of all of the healers when I'm ready to strike. I tried this strategy several times, it appeared to work at the start but eventually the game spawned 2x healers next to the midboss EVERY ROUND... making it impossible once again to out damage their 1900hp heals. It's possible with luck, this strategy could have eventually worked but obviously not how they intended you to beat the challenge.

At this point I'm thinking there might be a set amount of rounds before the healers start spawning every round, so I go straight for the middle where the boss/healers are and ignore everything else in attempts to get a kill before they start spawning. Soon I learn, there's even a hint for it on the stage description, that the corners of the area inside where the boss is located are safe from everything outside of the enclosed area. On top of that.... there appears to be an on screen enemy limit. So by ignoring the enemies outside of the enclosed area, this appears to be keeping the healers from ever spawning.

You still aren't completely safe, because the boss can crit you and put you back into the line of fire of the enemies on the outside. With no healers spawning, you could technically beat the boss with just RLuigi if you got lucky with the boss not critting you. ( I almost did this and died the turn before I would kill him. ) With all that figured out, I finally ended up with a situation where I had Peach and Yoshi inside with the midboss and beat it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish I had more of a chance to play co-op so I could aggravate my friends by saying stupid things like "Looks like the explosive head is about to go off!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

I got to this point. It is incredibly stupid and bullshit and I would argue bad design. It's like weirdly crippling especially if Mario dies or is critically wounded at any point. Especially since you don't know you're heading into a 3 battle gauntlet like that the first time. It's not fun having to restart allllllll the way back :mad: I know it's the last world so the hardest but Christ

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
so is this game fun if you're an xcom vet or is it like alright but you feel like you have to like it because there aren't any games on the switch?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zo posted:

so is this game fun if you're an xcom vet or is it like alright but you feel like you have to like it because there aren't any games on the switch?

It’s good streamlined XCOM fun. They do a lot of good with the movement and it’s all simplified (0/50/100% chance on shots) combat that focuses on flanking and dashing/team movement and abilities.

You can’t chop up Luigi to become a mech, unfortunately.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If you're a hardcore XCOM guy, it may feel too dumbed down, but it is pretty great for what it is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Although it has XCOM mechanics, the feel of the gameplay is very different and its style is extremely charming. It's not going to have replay value past the 20 or so hours to do everything once, but it's a great 20 hours. I'd highly recommend it even if you have put in hundreds of hours into XCOM games (like I have)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Yeah, it's like a simplified XCOM, but it does still require some brainpower, especially on the later levels.

I have hundreds of hours put into the XCOM series since the original UFO Defense, but I had to replay a few of the world 4 levels to perfect them (and even failed the final battle the first time I tried it due to taking a horrible team lineup).

The challenges (basically another set of 44 missions) can get pretty hard too.

If you like XCOM, you should like this.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
sounds good. i mean i was probably gonna get it anyway, but it's good to know that this game is actually good instead of having to pretend to like it in order to justify a bad purchase like with the wii u.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Zo posted:

sounds good. i mean i was probably gonna get it anyway, but it's good to know that this game is actually good instead of having to pretend to like it in order to justify a bad purchase like with the wii u.
It's already better than the WiiU.

I was super skeptical of the Switch from the time it was announced up until a couple of months ago. I ended up buying one because I had a lot of work travel coming up, and I haven't regretted it for a minute so far.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah, it's like a simplified XCOM, but it does still require some brainpower, especially on the later levels.

I have hundreds of hours put into the XCOM series since the original UFO Defense, but I had to replay a few of the world 4 levels to perfect them (and even failed the final battle the first time I tried it due to taking a horrible team lineup).

The challenges (basically another set of 44 missions) can get pretty hard too.

If you like XCOM, you should like this.

I'm yet another guy with hundreds of hours in XCOM 1&2 as well as ufo defense and I recommend this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

It truly is my hope that the XCOM guys play this and decide to push for a Switch port.

• Locked thread