Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gazpacho posted:

takes a job developing in Bespoke Frankenframework to pay the bills*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

*converts output from a database to json by marshalling database output into an xml object, stringifying the xml, then parsing out the resulting string into a json object with a foreach loop*

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I'm about to wrap up a phd that has a huge machine learning component. Like not exactly research into algorithms (although this is debatable) . I'm applying for jobs now. Haven't done it in so long I forgot what it felt like (miserable)

I'm looking for all sorts of jobs ranging from climate research postdocs, materials stuff, to data science-y positions in industry.

There's this thing sometimes where they have a position that says "Data Science Analyst" and the description is typical of other data science positions. Is tacking "analyst" at the end of that a way of trying to pay me less or what?

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Got hired, can confirm that not disclosing any figgies before they say they want you is a good thing.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

qirex posted:

yeah it's weird for how expensive the uk is you'd think the pay would be better

There's a ridiculous amount of competition for the good programming gigs there. I know it's really dumb to complain about immigration to the UK but lol I poo poo you not, 90% of the new hires we took on (we were a multinational of 10k employees) were from other EU countries.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
the UK kinda sucks to live in tbh

i moved away and its p good, quality of life + figgies + infrastructure is much better elsewhere

brexit may well throw a spanner in the works for me tho

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

the UK kinda sucks to live in tbh

i moved away and its p good, quality of life + figgies + infrastructure is much better elsewhere

brexit may well throw a spanner in the works for me tho

i got my irish citizenship :q:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

jealous :smith:

i'll be eligible for permanent residency / citizenship here 6mo after brexit kicks in, which will probably be fine but its still a bit worrying. also if you get citizenship you have to renounce your original citizenship unless you're married/civil partnership which makes it less appealing :/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gonadic io posted:

i got my irish citizenship :q:

need to sort mine out. do you remember who they were happy with when getting your documents / photo notarised?

and how long did it take?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I mean yeah, bespoke can be bad, but if we are going to dick-wave about seeing horrible poo poo, nothing takes the cake like full stack embedded Linux work!
Why YES! I have had to tell people that no, we won't use loving Mongo and NodeJS on a god damned embedded device!

Or ever for that matter! On any project!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Thanks Ants posted:

need to sort mine out. do you remember who they were happy with when getting your documents / photo notarised?

and how long did it take?

It's some bullshit like priests or teachers or police or lawyers who know you. I just went with my family parish head but you could probably pay a lawyer a little. It tookike 6 to 8 mo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the 1 advantage of being born in the occupied six counties is i can get Irish citizenship real easy

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Progressive JPEG posted:

now that auckland property market is crashing nz is starting to look somewhat less crazy

would prefer wellington tho

in nz its much easier to get a permanent residency than it is to get a dog imported

nah, nz has a high cost of living w/ low pay. auckland is super expensive and awfully planned, since nz has no idea how to design infrastructure. wellington (and also christchurch, not that anyone wants to go there) is somewhat cheaper but quite a bit smaller, so less figgies and less jobs

the entire country has this weird insecure small-town mindset, and is basically australia-lite.

both au and nz fuckin love to imitate the usa. there's a quote that goes something like 'aus is 10 years behind the us, and nz is 10 years behind aus', so keep that in mind

also, the accents are loving awful

nz: ok to live in, can't recommend moving to it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Alzabo posted:

Got hired, can confirm that not disclosing any figgies before they say they want you is a good thing.
congrats! i took your advice on that aspect so we'll see how the full-day loop goes.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

It's some bullshit like priests or teachers or police or lawyers who know you. I just went with my family parish head but you could probably pay a lawyer a little. It tookike 6 to 8 mo

it's off-topic, but https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great-britain/our-services/citizenship/born-outside-ireland/foreign-births-registration-guide/

quote:

Witnessing your application
Before you send your application form to the relevant office, you must have it witnessed by an appropriate person.

Who can be a witness?

The witness must be from one of the following professions only and :

(a) Must be currently residing and practicing in the UK

(b) Must not be related in any way to the Applicant

Police Officer (including collar number and Station Stamp if available)
Members of the Clergy (We define a member of the Clergy as a person who can officiate at Ceremonies e.g. Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals etc.)
Medical Doctor (Must be registered with the General Medical Council)
Solicitor (Must be registered with the Law Society)
Bank Manager/Building Society Manager
School Principal/Head Teacher
Head of Department at University/College
Magistrate/Judge
If applicant/parent is being identified to the witness by a third party, the third party must be personally known to both witness and applicant/parent.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kudaros posted:

I'm about to wrap up a phd that has a huge machine learning component. Like not exactly research into algorithms (although this is debatable) . I'm applying for jobs now. Haven't done it in so long I forgot what it felt like (miserable)

I'm looking for all sorts of jobs ranging from climate research postdocs, materials stuff, to data science-y positions in industry.

There's this thing sometimes where they have a position that says "Data Science Analyst" and the description is typical of other data science positions. Is tacking "analyst" at the end of that a way of trying to pay me less or what?

Analyst or Administrator is under Engineer which is under Architect, pay scaled accordingly.

This is in the server janitor world though, YMMV?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

analysts can also be statistical analysis which is another payscale alltogether.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Yeah it has the description of a data scientist (this necessarily includes statistical analysis) but they just tacked that on to the end of it. Guess I'll just apply and find out.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The UK is like Italy or Spain except with poo poo food. Scenery is lovely, oh wait you wanted a job? lmao

Now I can't really go back even if I wanted to in the next ~5 years because then I risk losing US residency after sacrificing the past 5-6 years just to get it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
are you working on us citizenship?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
:yotj:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:woop:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I mean yeah, bespoke can be bad, but if we are going to dick-wave about seeing horrible poo poo, nothing takes the cake like full stack embedded Linux work!
Why YES! I have had to tell people that no, we won't use loving Mongo and NodeJS on a god damned embedded device!

Or ever for that matter! On any project!

Lol if ur embedded device has an actual OS

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

feedmegin posted:

lol if your embedded device can't even run freertos

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

John Big Booty posted:

This is almost exactly what I'm doing right now, except I bullied them into rewriting their bullshit into something workable.

So many Frankenframeworks over the years, though. So many.

You want to see some poo poo? I help maintain / write a ColdFusion MVC app.

In 2017.

Thank loving god the porting effort is going well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Yeah, having thousands of libraries and drivers sucks. I love implementing lovely USB and network stacks.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Classical Muzak posted:

:stonk:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Classical Muzak posted:

In 2017.

is coldfusion still a thing that is being sold?

and do the people making it actually think it's good? like the small number of "MUMPS is our secret sauce!" idiot hellfuckers in electronic medical records do?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

eschaton posted:

and do the people making it actually think it's good? like the small number of "MUMPS is our secret sauce!" idiot hellfuckers in electronic medical records do?

From Adobe:
Buy ColdFusion Enterprise Edition for US$8,499.00

i wish i had saved off the iops requirements for Epic mumps installations because lol at the massive raid10 SSD arrays used to handle that poo poo.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Removing coldfusion from my company's infrastructure was fun in a completely impossible and not at all fun way. gently caress Adobe.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

gently caress Adobe.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is it even worth applying for a GS job without vet points?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Schadenboner posted:

Is it even worth applying for a GS job without vet points?

Yes absolutely

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I can't tell if this is real... I kind of want to apply just to see.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

eschaton posted:

Yes, and I can't think of anybody who still likes coldfusion.

We're rapidly porting it away.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I got an email back to schedule a skype interview for a job I applied to 87 days ago and I am not certain what's the most insulting part.
The fact that they left me hanging for three months or that they think I'm low-rent enough to not have anything else going for me.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Classical Muzak posted:

In 2017.

didn't know there were other yosposters @ my company :waycool:

(fortunately i havent done any CF work for over 2.5 years, its good)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Hambilderberglar posted:

I got an email back to schedule a skype interview for a job I applied to 87 days ago and I am not certain what's the most insulting part.
The fact that they left me hanging for three months or that they think I'm low-rent enough to not have anything else going for me.

So how did it go ?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hambilderberglar posted:

it's not personal

just send a nice note back that you're no longer interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jre posted:

So how did it go ?

:drat:

• Locked thread